Royal Family of Belgium - Current Events, Part 6 (Jan. 2007 - Jan. 2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

purple_platinum

Heir Apparent
City
Jakarta
Country
Indonesia
A new year, a new thread for Royal Family of Belgium' current events

The previous thread can be found here

Please post current news and pictures of Belgian Royal Family in this thread.
While doing so, please remember to follow the TRF Rules & FAQs
  • The current events' thread is only for current news & events
  • Do not forget to provide sources for all photos & articles
  • Do not post thumbnails of pictures, you can provide link to pictures only.
  • Please remember when posting pictures, to post only selected ones (there is no need to post whole bunch of similar photos). Providing a direct link to the photos or the photo album is recommended.
  • Please do not linked the photos directly. Hotlinking is strongly prohibited.
  • Pictures from previous events may be posted in the picture thread via imagehost.
  • Please be respectful to others' opinions even if you're disagree, and always be courteous to your follow members.
  • Lastly, have fun and enjoy!

Belgian royals attending the memorial service for Joséphine-Charlotte????

Beautiful Mathilde!

Boy this woman is so dropdead gorgeous! An exquisite beauty and a born princess. If I imagine what a wonderful couple she´d have made by marrying Felipe of Spain I could cry every time.

Mabelian couture

It looks like the Duchess of Brabant has left her regular couturier Natan and went for the Mabelian way.

The creation she wore today does look like a Viktor & Rolf, as known the favourite couturier of Princess Mabel.

:flowers:

It is a pity the Belgian New Year's Reception is so low key. The Dutch one at least still has formal wear (jaquet). No diademes and white tie because the reception was a day event. The Belgian New Year's Reception was very sober, I must say.... even republics like Portugal have more grandeur!! Quite surprising for such a Bourgondic country as Belgium.

:neutral:

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
It looks like the Duchess of Brabant has left her regular couturier Natan and went for the Mabelian way.

I love Mathilde, and she is so pretty, but I hate that lion ruff-like ruffle on that blouse. Mathilde, leave it for Mabel!

Does anybody know why HM Queen Paola did not attend the reception?

Queen Paola

Marengo said:
Does anybody know why HM Queen Paola did not attend the reception?

I don't know? Shocked by the problems around her youngest son, Prince Laurent?

By the way, I have the idea the Queen has not fully recovered since her nasty fall in Italy, last year. It looks a little bit as she has become depressed, don't you think?

The wonderful documentary 'Paola, paroles de Reine' (filmed in Venice, Italy) was made before the fall (in which she broke her arm on two places).

It's great seeing the Belgian Royals again. But unfortunately without Princess Astrid or maybe she gets the chances for Prince Laurent to attend?But they looked great and happy especially Princess Mathilde, lovely to see her smiling.

Thank you for posting the photos. It is always lovely to see the Royal Family. I wonder why Princess Claire was not there also?

From the comment #5, I personally think she fits more with hfer Crown Prince Phillipe of Belgium as the way it is....

Stefanie said:
Boy this woman is so dropdead gorgeous! An exquisite beauty and a born princess. If I imagine what a wonderful couple she´d have made by marrying Felipe of Spain I could cry every time.

I agree that Mathilde is exquisite and the most truly royal of all the princesses in Europe, born or not. I might have agreed five years ago that she would have made a good match with Felipe of Spain. But in that time I think Phillipe of Belgium has become significantly more attractive and Felipe of Spain less attractive (although of course he is still a good-looking man).

To be honest: I think she looks ok, pretty at best, but I never would consider her being beautiful. That being said, I think she does her job very good and I think she is a very nice person.

Beside all the ooh and aah for Mathilde....

The very same New Year's Reception ended in a public riot in Belgian media and politics.

The Duke of Brabant (Prince Philippe) attacked two chief-editors, Yves de Smet of De Morgen and Paul van den Driessche of the commercial TV-station VTM. The Prince raised his voice and stated sharply: "I demand that you show reverence for my function and that you show respect and honour for my House. Otherwise it is not right that you are here. If you remain to inform (the public) in the same way, you will no longer be welcome. I promise you: I will never fall back when it is about my Mission". According to both (flabbergasted) chief-editors, the Duchess was trying to pull her spouse away but the Duke could no longer held his anger inside.

In the meantime the premier minister, Guy Verhofstadt, has given a public reprimand to the Prince, stating that he can not handle the media in this way. All this caused new consternation in Belgian politics. The newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws quoted politicians:

The premier minister, Guy Verhofstadt:
"The way the Prince acted was inappropriate."

Labour Party, Johan Vande Lanotte:
"It is important that the Prince realize the warnings and signals, otherwise the debate on a purely ceremonial monarchy will come closer."

Flemish Liberals, Bart Somers:
"Especially his threat to declare journalists persona non grata went too far. But the debate on the role of the monarchy should be done in all serenity and not on base of an incident."

New Flemish Alliance, Bart de Wever:
"Now it is time to discuss the influence of the King and the role of the monarchy. We can no longer wait for this debate. Society should for once and for ever show the palace that mediaeval times are far behind us and that in the 21st century we do not need a monarchy with political influence. It is totally absurd that the King signs acts and decrees, declares war, grants pardon, has the supreme command on the armed forces, bestows nobility and whatever'.

Green!, Vera Dua:
"The Prince is free to show his disapproval with media, but to threathen to ban certain journalists is a bridge too far. It is time to start a discussion about a purely protocollary form of monarchy".

Flemish Interest:
"Once again the monarchy has shown it is a real danger to democracy and a danger for society".

The biggest Flemish Party (Christian Democrats) refused to comment.

Last edited:
I was looking for more info on the above story that Henri M. posted but I didn't find anything. I did however find info on a Navy embezzlement trial on yahoo. The article said that the RF could be "potentially embarassed by the scandal". But the article was from Jan. 9 and I don't know the results or if this is an embarassing thing for the royal family. So does anyone know more about this?

Also in the article I read, it sounded as though the King in Belgium has complete power which I thought most Kings and Queens nowadays have more of a figurative role or ceremonial role. So does the King of Belgium really have complete power?

Also all these differences of opinions in Belgium seems really interesting and makes me wonder just how popular the RF is in Belgium? Can anyone shed some light on their overall popularity for me?

Please don't get mad or offended by any of my post I'm really just curious and trying to learn about different things.

Prince Filip reprimands journalists

Aurora810 said:
I was looking for more info on the above story that Henri M. posted but I didn't find anything. I did however find info on a Navy embezzlement trial on yahoo. The article said that the RF could be "potentially embarassed by the scandal". But the article was from Jan. 9 and I don't know the results or if this is an embarassing thing for the royal family. So does anyone know more about this?
Please don't get mad or offended by any of my post I'm really just curious and trying to learn about different things.
Hi Aurora810 :flowers: ,
Prince Filip reprimands journalists
Thu 25/01/07 - An intervention by crown prince Filip during a reception last night is causing much consternation. The heir to the throne of the Belgians openly reprimanded two leading journalists: Yves Desmet, the editor-in-chief of the left-leaning daily De Morgen and Pol Van Den Driessche, the political editor-in-chief of the TV station VTM.
Prince Filip complained that the two editors-in-chief are responsible for reporting that puts him in a far too negative light.
The two editors are both Flemings.
In recent years there has been growing tension between the royal palace and forces seeking greater autonomy for Flanders. The bizarre reprimand occurred during a reception at the royal palace of Brussels to which the country's highest dignitaries had been invited...
...The prince told Pol Van Den Driessche that he couldn't stand the fact that he was friendly when he came to the palace, but criticised him elsewhere.
The prince continued: "If you go on like that, you will no longer be welcome at the palace".
Does the Prince know what freedom of the press is?
The commercial TV channel's political editor-in-chief later said he had the impression that the Prince didn't really know what the freedom of the press was all about.
Pol Deltour of the Flemish Association of Journalists is incensed by the fact that the Prince threatened to ban some journalists from the palace...
...A spokesman for the royal palace was later forced to concede that the conversation between the Prince and the editors-in-chief may have become unpleasant, but insisted all editors-in-chief remain welcome at the palace.
PM Guy Verhofstadt "Not appropriate"
Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt (Flemish liberal) says that the prince's attitude is not appropriate.
The Premier has also voiced his concern to the palace about the way the prince deals with the press.
It's not the first time that Prince Filip's relations with the media are strained.
Earlier several journalists and businessmen spoke out saying that he was not pulling his weight during an official trip to South Africa.
"Is he fit for the throne?"
In the daily Het Laatste Nieuws the paper's editor Luc Van der kelen wonders if Prince Filip is fit for the throne.
The daily also publishes a handy list of earlier slip ups by the Prince.
During a trip to South Africa the Prince repeats the same speech time and time again in which he compares Belgium to a diamond.
Business people complain the prince looked terribly uninterested.
The Prince also signed a document setting out a list of demands formulated by the Belgian Employers' Organisation VBO that was particularly critical of the government.
In 2004 during a trip to China the Prince attacked the far right Vlaams Belang political party in an interview with the glossy magazine Story.
In the interview the Prince said that in Belgium there were people and parties like Vlaams Belang that want to destroy our country.
He gave an assurance that they would find him on their way...
The rest (bits and pieces that I left out) [it's a really long article with diffrent sub-headings, not three diffrent articles] can be found here...
flandersnews.be - Prince Filip reprimands journalists

Last edited:
Another article concerning the spat...

Another article concerning the spat...
Belgian crown prince lashes out at journalists over his coverage in the press
BRUSSELS, Belgium: Belgium's Crown Prince Philippe was at the middle of a new political storm on Thursday after he lashed out at two journalists, warning he would have them barred from the royal palace if they continued to criticize his work...
...According to the journalists, the prince asked to speak to them during a New Year's reception at the palace on Wednesday.
Yves Desmet, editor of the Flemish daily De Morgen, and Pol Van Den Driessche, an editor from VTM television, said Philippe told them that if they did not stop work critical of him, he would have them banned from attending future royal events.
"This should not be permitted, it is not the crown prince's place to say ... you are not welcome in the palace," Van Den Driessche said. "I got the impression that he does not understand press freedom."
They both quoted King Albert's oldest son demanding they show him more respect for his role as heir to the throne and warned them their "negative reports will not block the pursuit of my mission."
"You have to show me respect. I am the crown prince and will become the next king, so the press should not be critical of me," the pair quoted him as saying. "If you continue to write negative stories about the palace then you are no longer welcome"...
...His younger brother Prince Laurent has also had recent run ins with the media over allegations money illegally siphoned from the navy budget was used to fund renovation work on his villa.
The article can be found here...
Belgian crown prince lashes out at journalists over his coverage in the press - International Herald Tribune

Aurora810 said:
If you follow this link...
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f29/prince-laurent-princess-claire-news-pictures-part-4-a-10662-3.html
...it should give you all the information that you want concerning the fraud scandal.

Aurora810 said:
Also in the article I read, it sounded as though the King in Belgium has complete power which I thought most Kings and Queens nowadays have more of a figurative role or ceremonial role. So does the King of Belgium really have complete power?
I'm not from Belgium so I can only give an answer based on what I already know. There were instances in the past, such as King Baudoin I. Baudoin had to abdicate for one day because he refused to sign a pro-abortion law, and the current, King Albert II, signing a document to allow Laurent to testify in court. The King by my guess has the same power as any other current European reigning monarch except for Liechtenstein (I think Hans-Adam/Alois has a bit more power).

I hope that helps :flowers: .

Last edited:
Thanks so much flctylu. Wow, you did a lot of work on that. That's very interesting about King Baudoin abdicating for one day like that. You mentioned that Liechtenstein has more power I was also thinking that Prince Albert of Monaco has a little more power over things there. But I'm only guessing about that based on things he said in an interview on CNN while he was in New York awhile back. Anyways, thanks again.

I'm not sure if this has been posted:
New "Royalty" on VTM:
Follow this link...
Royalty
[The clip is 5 days old].
...Click on the windows media link directly under...
...Herbekijk uitzending van 21 januari 2007...
...[called] bekijk deel 1.
The clip covers the following events...
1. The meeting of the international centre for missing and exploited children. There was an intresting scene at 2.05 min, the door on the limo was stuck and it couldn't be opened.
2. Brussels New Year's Celebration.
3. Prince Philip visiting Volvo Cars in Ghent.
4. Princess Astrid visiting Finland [for a Medical conference, not exactly sure what the conference was about].
5. Princess Claire and Mathilde's birthday. It mainly focused on Princess Claire and a few commantaries from people and clips of her, on duty as a Belgium princess [at 12.40min the women with Claire is her mum, I think].

...bekijk deel 2.
The clip deals with...
1. The van Vollenhoven's on holiday in Bad Gastein, Austria. At 1.50min you can hear Lucas (which by the way looks very cute) shout out something, as he came down the slop. At 2.20min Prince Maurits and Princess Marilene talk to the reporters of VTM, as well as Prince Bernhard and Princess Annette.
2. A lady that looks a lot like Queen Elizabeth II of G.B.
3. A fashion show of some sort.

Last edited:
Irritated about hypocrisy

It seems that the Duke of Brabant (Prince Philippe) was in fact irritated about the hypocrite attitude of these two editors.

During the New Year's Reception they were polished, well-mannered, friendly and it was 'Yes monseigneur, no monseigneur, of course monseigneur, haha monseigneur' but they haven't even left the palace and there they go again, with their half-lies, their gossips and their fictional stories in their media, making up a whole farce of the monarchy.

Thát was what angered the Duke. And I can replace myself in his position indeed. But sadly enough political reality in Belgium is that many Flemish parties will exploit every riot to the maximum because they believe only the royal family is keeping Belgium together, blocking their wish of an independent Flanders. So they will not hesistate to help the crumbling down of the 'Belgiscist' monarchy if this helps their Flemish dream.

It is sad that so many posters are so blinded by dazzling diademes and colourful gowns but do not see the grumbing beneath. 'Mathilde is such a perfect Princess, always so poised'. The truth, my fellow posters, is that Mathilde is dancing on an awakening vulcano. Remember the fate of the so dazzling and poised Farah Diba...

Henri M. said:
Thát was what angered the Duke. And I can replace myself in his position indeed. But sadly enough political reality in Belgium is that many Flemish parties will exploit every riot to the maximum because they believe only the royal family is keeping Belgium together, blocking their wish of an independent Flanders. So they will not hesistate to help the crumbling down of the 'Belgiscist' monarchy if this helps their Flemish dream.

Indeed. From now on they won't stop to acuse Prince Philipe of being a non-democratic person. I quite understand his reaction. I am not from Belgium and I live in a Republic, but it is quite unfair for the Crown Prince how Press treat him many times. No matter how hard he tries to do his job, there is always someone from the press or from independentist parties asking "Is he fit? Is he fit?". One day, sooner or later, he would lost his mind with them. Of course he fits from the job and he will be, imo, a great king. And he deservs respect.

Thanks for the pics of Princess Mathilde :) She was elegant and regal, as usual!

Last edited:
I understand the Duke completely, but still he should have been professional enough to keep his mouth shut. What on earth was he expecting from such a remark anyway? It reminds me a bit of the gaffe of the Prince of Orange in New-Zealand, also human and understandable but it backfired to (though not as much as with the Duke).

I even understand that the journalists would not be welcome at court anymore, but why on earth let Phillipe say this personally? Aren't there a bit more diplomatic channels who could have communicated this to the journalists in question?

Phillipe should have forseen that this could have happened, especiallyvas discretion is not very common in the flemmish media,. They seem to have a rather agressive and disrespectfull attitude towards the monarchy during the last years IMO. I even recall some nasty remarks during the funeral of the late GD of Luxembourg, and that was on the flemmish public channel.

-
I must say January started out rather badly for the RF, lets hope this will not be a trend for the rest of 2007 :(.

Domino-effect

I'm a little bit eh... 'pissed off' (excusez-moi) about the serious problems of the Belgian monarchy because I fear for a domino-effect in neighbouring Netherlands and Luxembourg.

When the Flemish political parties seriously want to change the Belgian monarchy into a purely protocollair one, and they succeed in that (luckily there is a fierce Wallonian opposition against that, not out of love for the monarchy but only for their own Wallonian interest), then I fear a domino-effect in the Netherlands and Luxembourg.

The progressive majority would suddenly wake up and think about a same scenario in the Netherlands and Luxembourg: 'Look at the neighbours... if they can, why can't we?'

Luckily such a change needs a long procedure and qualified majorities in the States-General, but the sleeping dogs have been disturbed...

:sad:

I agree with Marengo's observation. In the Netherlands the media always have a basic politeness and positive groundtone when reporting about the monarchy. The way the Flemish media reports and behave on the monarchy is sometimes beyond belief. Indeed the funeral of Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte of Luxembourg (sister of King Albert II and of King Baudouin) came to mind.

Instead of a respectful silence so now and then, it was a continuous babbling of trivia and gossips and even nasty things, while we see pallbearers carrying the catafalque passing by on our television screens.... Unbelievable and without the most minimal respect. Such a vitriolic attitude is unthinkable in the Netherlands. The State Funerals of Prince Claus, Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard were monumentally covered.

:sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom