Royal Family of Belgium - Current Events, Part 6 (Jan. 2007 - Jan. 2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that there are so many issues going on in recent months with the RF and some scandals being reported. Adding to the scandal is another issue in Mathilde's family that was reported today over in Philippe and Mathilde's current events thread.

Anyways, it just seems to me that the RF should be out more doing royal things. Just being a little more visible seems like it would help. We haven't seen many members of the RF since Feb. 15. We did however, see Mathilde and Philippe recently in Norway and then Mathilde made a visit to an organization last week. However, it just seems as a whole the RF is really not doing anything to help improve public opinion about them. I could certainly be wrong and maybe it's one of those situations where they prefer to let things die down some before appearing too much. I don't know but it just seems a little weird to me.

Aurora810 said:
We did however, see Mathilde and Philippe recently in Norway and then Mathilde made a visit to an organization last week.

The birthday of King Harald barely made any press oustide Norway because it is as it is: a birthday party. No more, no less.

The royals can not easily step up the number of occasions on short term because every engagement needs preparation on beforehand, not only for the royals themselves but also for the 'receiving' end.

And... an overkill of royal visits devalues the worth of it. A royal visit should remain an extraordinary honour.

I share your opinion Aurora810. The Royal Family has a big job to do in public relations. And what do we see? Just nothing.
Wel lets hope is part of a bigger plan... But I'm afraid the Belgian RF isn't the Britain RF. I'm still under impression as I see what they did. Divorce, adultery, bringing in the 'rotweiler' Camilla, wrong statement from the prince; much more than the Belgian RF has to cary, but what did they do? They asked help. And what do we see today? Everything is sound and safe...
But in Belgium, nothing happens...

Henri M. said:
The royals can not easily step up the number of occasions on short term because every engagement needs preparation on beforehand, not only for the royals themselves but also for the 'receiving' end.

And... an overkill of royal visits devalues the worth of it. A royal visit should remain an extraordinary honour.

I'm assuming that you are speaking of official royal visits to another country and I wasn't really speaking about that. I was thinking more about smaller things they could do that they aren't doing. It just seems that there is so much scandal and chaos that isn't just going away. I understand they can't just upon short notice go on a state visit somewhere and that would look silly and insincere anyways. But it just seems that there are ways to do some damage control and yet there is no damage control taking place, possibly they thought or hoped it would simply go away however, I don't see that happening currently. But what do I know I'm just a silly American sitting in front of a computer thousands of miles from Belgium. :ROFLMAO:

The monarchy becoming irrelevant

Well, the 'damage' is the dirty laundry hanged out of the window in the family d'Udekem d'Acoz, and not in the Belgian royal family itself. But its 'fall out' is there: instead of serenity, there is now fuss about the future Queen's family. But there is no real scandal in the sense of Mathilde doing something wrong.

The other fuss is the clash between the Flemish and Wallonian branches of the Belgian Red Cross and the accused lack of management by its president, Princess Astrid. But that also is no real scandal in the sense of Astrid doing something wrong.

All this is just little fuss. The major problem of the Belgian monarchy is the growing gap between Flanders and Wallonia and the growing irrelevance of 'Belgium' and its institutions for the rapidly growing and more power gaining regions. Flanders is almost autonomous on many topics and has nothing, really nothing, to do with the King.

The removal of the King's portrait form two Flemish city-halls had as official reason: the municipalities do no longer ressort under 'Belgium' but under the regional government of Flanders. The King plays no role whatsoever in this process. So what is the King doing there, in a Flemish city hall? That was the thought behind the removal of these portraits.

The speed of disintegration since 1980 is really astonishing. In 1980 Belgium was one strong central state à la France. The process of federalization sounded like a good idea, but it has become a nightmare, an unstoppable machinery which threathens to 'eat' Belgium. If 'Belgium' becomes irrelevant, then its monarchy becomes irrelevant too. That is obvious.

Henri M. said:
.The speed of disintegration since 1980 is really astonishing. In 1980 Belgium was one strong central state à la France. The process of federalization sounded like a good idea, but it has become a nightmare, an unstoppable machinery which threathens to 'eat' Belgium. If 'Belgium' becomes irrelevant, then its monarchy becomes irrelevant too. That is obvious.

Pardon my ignorance Henri. But I'm curious...In America I always hear Belgium being referred to as the "capital of Europe" b/c of the European Union and Nato both being based in Brussels. So I'm just wondering if any of that holds any significance as far as the country possibly splitting or whatever might happen with the country?

Belgium is a wealthy and healthy state and Brussels is indeed the heart of Europe. If Flemish people and Walloon people don't start a fight, I don't think there is any problem for the EU to stay in Brussels. Also, Brussels has his own statute, so IF Belgium splits, Brussels can stay the heart of Europe.

But I have to put stress on one thing. Henri M. is seeing Apocalypse Now in Belgium. But I don't share that opinion. In Belgium people don't really care about royalty, we are very sensible, people don't seem to care much about what separatistic politicians talk about. The separation of the country is a political statement, not a grassroot-one (although not yet). People vote Vlaams Belang for their racist talk, and if Flemish independence could help with that, so why not.
Of course we mustn't be blind for separatism, but I should still call it marginal.
After the fake-news on rtbf, Flemish people could stand up and say, yes we want independence. But how did they react? By saying: how stupid of the walloons to believe that. All the parties (exept VB and N-VA) made their opinion clear that they don't want to separate the state.
And I think there is more needed to tear a country apart. There are no militias here, no revolutionairy bastions, no bombings like ETA, ...
I'm not certain about the future for the royal house, but for the future of Belgium I dare to believe we will reach the 200years.

Henri M. said:
The speed of disintegration since 1980 is really astonishing. In 1980 Belgium was one strong central state à la France. The process of federalization sounded like a good idea, but it has become a nightmare, an unstoppable machinery which threathens to 'eat' Belgium. If 'Belgium' becomes irrelevant, then its monarchy becomes irrelevant too. That is obvious.

It's true that a lot happened since the federalisation. But think about the problems of those days, was there another solution than the federalisation of the state? Maybe if the country didn't split in regions, the problems would have come only bigger and also the result. I think a bigger crisis has been prevented, although it can be seen as a stay of execution, which I believe is not.
Minister Leterme is talking about regionalisation in a postive way, (of course discusable) Flanders need more authorities, to secure the future of Belgium. That is because on federal stage they can't come to an agreement.

Dear members,

the discussion about the future of the Belgian monarchy (and related to that: the future of Belgium as one state) has been the topic in many current events threads. In the mean time the discussion that results from that usually has little to do with the current events of the Belgian royals. Hence the moderators have decided in their endless wisdom, to create a new thread where the people can discuss this topic.

Please take the discussion to this new thread: Future of the Belgian Monarchy. Future posts and reponses to the above remarks in this thread will be deleted by the moderators.

Thank you

Good old daddy, Albert, comes to the rescue for baby boy, Laurent, with tax-payer's money.
Civil List pays for Laurent's extras
Mon 05/03/07 - 185,000 euros from King Albert's Civil List will be donated to the Belgian Defence Ministry. The decision comes after the Navy fraud trial in Hasselt (Limburg province). The King's Civil List includes the (taxpayers') money which is put at the king's disposal by the authorities.
Three high-ranking Belgian military officers were found guilty of forgery in February, as they used public money to enrich themselves...
...Prince Laurent had his home in Tervuren renovated with money obtained by fraudulent means, but denied he knew where the money came from during the trial Nick Van Haver, a spokesman for the Defence Ministry, told VRT radio that the 185,000 euros "will be used to carry out renovation works in the homes of military staff who had an accident at work."
Mr Van Haver went on to say that the donation is no confession of guilt by King Albert or his son Prince Laurent. He added that the sum of 185,000 euros is equivalent to the extras Laurent had received.
During his Christmas speech last year, King Albert had announced that "nobody is above the law," referring to the Navy fraud case.
"It seems just to me that everyone who drew a profit from the fraud, should pay the money back once the fraud has been proved," King Albert II of the Belgians added.
The bit missing can be found here...
flandersnews.be - Civil List pays for Laurent's extras

Last edited:
(Translated with an internet program)

Portraits of BRF will be sold by auction

Twenty thousand personal photographs of the Belgian royal family and objects belonging to at other members of the European Gotha, become on 4 May by the Paris auction house Drouot sold by auction. That announced the known auction hall Thursday in Brussels.
A series of 3,500 personal photographs of the human of king Leopold III (1901-1983) that by himself. They become between 400 and 600 Euros per album esteemed. On other photographs, that between 1912 and 1931 by the gouvernante of the princess Marie-José, daughter of king Alberts I (1875-1934 collected became),, there are to see intimate moments of the Belgian royal family, with name during the First world War.
These sell of historical souvenirs offers moreover letters of the hand of the Belgian rulers. Also are there draw lots devoted to the royal and imperial houses of France, among many a portrait of Napoléon I in the fight by Arcole that between 10,000 and 15,000 Euros becomes geschat, and at the dynasties of Savoie, Hohenzollern and other Habsburgers. The lots become of 27 until 29 April and on 3 May exhibited in Paris. (belga/dm)

Source: 'De Morgen'

Is there any special mass or something that the royal family attends for Easter? Similar to what the Spanish royals do for Easter Sunday.

Aurora810 said:
Is there any special mass or something that the royal family attends for Easter? Similar to what the Spanish royals do for Easter Sunday.

No, there are only two public services the royal family attends.

On July 21st, the National Day, there is a Te Deum (a praise) and the same happens on 15 November, King's Day. The Te Deum is hymn of praise, it is no Mass.

These are the only regular public religious outings of the Belgian royal family. Like in other countries, the religiosity of the head of state is a strictly private matter.

Thanks Henri! So it looks like Spain is the only country that does something public for Easter.

BTW maybe this is dumb question but Norway and Britain's RF's would not have religion as a strictly private matter would they?

Last edited:
I love the Belgian Royal Family. What them also says concerning our Royal House.

73693596.jpg

What a funny picture :ROFLMAO:!

Sometimes when I watch photos of all three Dss, Adss and Pss I have strange impression that they looks more like Queen Paola - I mean their hair...

Good news! Although in my opinion. Pol Vandendriessche, the editor-in-chief of the Flemish program Royalty is leaving. He had contacts with the CD&V party and in doing so he made an end to his journalistic neutrality. Therefore he can't stay editor-in-chief of a royaltyprogram.
I wasn't a fan of him from the beginning. I think his analyses are to simplistic. He always had a lot of critic, wich I don't agree with. So I'm very happy he's leaving. (And I think Prince Philippe is happy too) From septembre on we can expect a new editor-in-chief, wait and see...

Is he one of the two men Philippe "crossed swords" with at the Palace reception earlier this year?

Another municpiality has removed portraits of the King and Queen

Again another municipality, this time Lennik (a Flemish municipality 15 km west of Brussels) has decided to remove the state portraits of King Albert II and Queen Paola.

This happened on proposal of the separatistic and anti-monarchistic party Vlaams Belang (Flemish Interest). The proposal was consented by the municipal council with 9 to the yes, 3 to the no and 6 councillors have voted blanco.

Formal reason: no longer the national government but the Flemish government is authorized for the municipalities. Since a few years members of municipal councils also no longer swear loyalty to the King. And also the mayors are no longer appointed by the King but by the Flemish government.

Source: http://www.hbvl.be/nieuws/Binnenland/default.asp?art={AD0A0B81-C12D-4878-834A-770327603CAF}

Henri M. said:
Again another municipality, this time Lennik (a Flemish municipality 15 km west of Brussels) has decided to remove the state portraits of King Albert II and Queen Paola.

This happened on proposal of the separatistic and anti-monarchistic party Vlaams Belang (Flemish Interest). The proposal was consented by the municipal council with 9 to the yes, 3 to the no and 6 councillors have voted blanco.

Formal reason: no longer the national government but the Flemish government is authorized for the municipalities. Since a few years members of municipal councils also no longer swear loyalty to the King. And also the mayors are no longer appointed by the King but by the Flemish government.

Source: [URL="http://www.hbvl.be/nieuws/Binnenland/default.asp?art={AD0A0B81-C12D-4878-834A-770327603CAF}"]http://www.hbvl.be/nieuws/Binnenland/default.asp?art={AD0A0B81-C12D-4878-834A-770327603CAF}[/URL]
It looks like a pattern is forming...the whole removing potraits of King Albert and Queen Poala, is it an omen of a bleak future ahead [sorry to sound pessimistic :rolleyes: ] or are these just random, once a blue moon events.

Well, the pattern can be broken if the Flemish Interest party will lose in the next elections. They peaked during the last ones, but the first cracks seemed to start forming to (in Antwerp they lost for the first time since they were founded).

I find the present attitude in the flemish media towards the monarchy extremely pessimistic. Some of it makes it to the Dutch press to, which reports it in a more dry tone though. Yesterday the book of Mario Danneels was discussed in 'De Telegraaf'. Apparently he uses strong terms, calling Fabiola ' the Spanish witch', among other things. I realy wonder if anybody is standing up to defend their royals in the press. I think it is quite undecent to let the discussion slip down in -what seems to be- name calling.

Gazet van Antwerpen (link provided by Marianne on the Benelux Royals MB).

Marengo said:
I find the present attitude in the flemish media towards the monarchy extremely pessimistic. Some of it makes it to the Dutch press to, which reports it in a more dry tone though. Yesterday the book of Mario Danneels was discussed in 'De Telegraaf'. Apparently he uses strong terms, calling Fabiola ' the Spanish witch', among other things. I realy wonder if anybody is standing up to defend their royals in the press. I think it is quite undecent to let the discussion slip down in -what seems to be- name calling.

Gazet van Antwerpen (link provided by Marianne on the Benelux Royals MB).
Right know it looks like no one is supporting them, geez, "the Spanish witch"? I thought she was one of the most highly regarded memebrs of the BRF, was she really hostile towards her half-sister in laws [hated the idea of a King, esp. a Belgian one marrying a commoner]. Is this the same guy that wrote that book on Queen Poala and exposed King Albert's [infidelity/illegitamite child] big secret? Thanks for the link by the way Marengo [just been very busy with school work :rolleyes: ].

I read the article now and apparently Danneels was quoting Prince Laurent with that remark. According to Danneels sources Fabiola got rid of Prince Karel (uncle of Boudouin), Pincess Lilian and Laurent (D. uses the phrase: she worked them out of the palace. The style of hs book is rather tabloid like and never naming sources.
Whether Fabiola was hostile or not, I don't know, but she seems to have a totally different personality from the flamboyant Laurent or fom the even more flamboyant Marie-Christine, so she probably never was to close to them either. The bad relations between Laurent and Fabiola/Baudouin are common knowledge though. Considering what came out recently about the bahavior of the prince that is hadly surprising.

You are right, it is indeed the same guy who wrote a book abut Paola when he was 18. In that book he was still mild. Also interesting: he claims that Albert hired an exorsist for Laurent.

Well Mario Danneels hadn't to do much research to find out that Laurent en Marie-Christine are the total opposite of Fabiola, everyone can see that. He just made a 'nice' story of it.

Those statements Danneels is refering to, how could he know? I think the royal family has very loyal servants, who don't sell their stories to the press. I can't imagine how he could report family-affairs correct. If it isn't written down, what is most the case. Then it's someone who heard something from someone else who says he is near to the Royal Family. One word for it: gossip. And there will be a sens of truth in it, but who knows what part...

I wonder about that to! I have heard the ' spanish witch' comment several times now, but it seems that one started it and now other just repeat that comment, without checking where it actually came from.

Indeed the book seems verymuch based on gossip. He claims that he got the idea when he read a book about the British royals. I wouldn' t be surprised if that would be Kitty Kelley's book, which also is rather ill-spirited and doesn't value the truth and facts that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom