King Philippe, Current Events, Part 1 (July 2013 - Sept. 2017)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
You are absolutely right. King Philippe can not afford to have any crisis.

Last edited:
Belgium is a democracy and not a theocracy AFAIK. The king did his constitutional duty & the only right thing and signed the law. A law that was accepted by a democratic parlament, representing the Belgian people. The king doesn't have to agree with what is said in these laws but his signature means that the legal process by which the law was accepted in parlament was valid. If he uses these laws as a tool to voice his personal beliefs he will quite rightly be out of a job rather quickly.

His own father signed the original euthenasia bill so I am sure his family will be sympathetic.

Baudouin made a big mistake by letting his personal beliefs prevail over his democratic duty. He started a constitutional crisis. He got away with it as he had been head of state for 40 years, people knew his trouble in getting children and because he was Baudouin, the semi-saint. His successor Albert tried to do the same but the then government quickly told him that another Baudouin scenario was unthinkable and could only lead to a government crisis, to Albert's abdication and possibly to the abolishment of the monarchy. It was once and never again. No Belgian politician of any influence would have stood by the king if he refused to sign this law, even the ones that oppose it. A scenario as in Luxembourg where the Garnd Duke squandered his rights would be unacceptable at this point too. King Philippe did the only right thing, even though I am quite sure that euthenasia goes against his own beliefs.

I don't think that signing this law makes him less of a catholic. It makes him a catholic who is realistic and who knows that people who do not agree with the church teachings on this matter - the vast majority in Belgium- should have the option to decide for themselves what they think is best for them. He is not a priest, he is the king of all the Belgians, not only of Belgian Opus Dei members.

I agree with this. King Philippe and the rest of the Belgian Royals have always been and will always be (unless one of them converts) Catholic. Just because Philippe signed a law that the Catholic Church may not agree with, doesn't not make him a Catholic anymore. As I said in Philippe and Mathilde's current events thread, Philippe probably signed the Law because he had no choice, or that he was told to do so by an official who was for it.

My guess is that Philippe probably finds euthanasia repugnant, but is bowing to the political realities of the situation in Belgium by signing the bill. Signing it is not the same as saying he agrees with it.

It is his duty as a Catholic to follow the teachings of the Church to the best of his ability and as his conscience directs him.

It is his responsibility as king to make sure that his heir Princess Elisabeth has a throne to inherit someday.:sad:

My guess is that Philippe probably finds euthanasia repugnant, but is bowing to the political realities of the situation in Belgium by signing the bill. Signing it is not the same as saying he agrees with it.

It is his duty as a Catholic to follow the teachings of the Church to the best of his ability and as his conscience directs him.

It is his responsibility as king to make sure that his heir Princess Elisabeth has a throne to inherit someday.:sad:

You've made a really good point here. Even if he is very Catholic, he didn't want to take the risk of losing throne.

I haven't found so far any official statement from Catholic Church of Belgium.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Philippe hadn't already discussed this issue and his reasons for signing the bill with his confessor or spiritual advisor.

The Belgian Church must have some idea of the situation King Philippe is in.

The Belgian RC church will know better than to start a big issue about this in public. If they do it will backfire. Catholicism in Belgium is evaporating quickly. Although 60% labels him/herself as religious, only between 8%-3% of the population is a practising catholic. And the number is decreasing every year.

Last edited:
Such a pity for the children. As a practicing Catholic, I can't understand such a law. I even signed the petition asking the King not to sign the law. But I can understand his situation. God bless him and the poor belgian children.

The Belgian RC church will know better than to start a big issue about this in public. If they do it will backfire. Catholicism in Belgium is evaporating quickly. Although 60% labels him/herself as religious, only between 8%-3% of the population is a practising catholic. And the number is decreasing every year.

That's true Marengo, of Western Europe in general. It's no secret that the Catholic Church has taken an enormous hit and it's prestige and influence is no longer what it was. But... even if there were only ten people left practicing their faith it would be the obligation of the bishops to speak up, to defend and explain what the Church teaches and why. Catholicism is not run by opinion poll.

That said, I 100% agree that the Belgian Church will try to avoid a controversy over this issue.

Cris M said:
Such a pity for the children. As a practicing Catholic, I can't understand such a law. I even signed the petition asking the King not to sign the law. But I can understand his situation. God bless him and the poor belgian children.

The poor Belgian children? What do you think will happen? That the Belgian state will start a mass euthenasia and kill all the people under 18 in the country?
The law is only for exceptional cases, when a child is dying, has no chance of recovery and when the suffering has become unbearable. Doctors, parents ánd the child need to agree. After that there is a range of different criteria and only after all this euthenesia may happen. In the end it will only be a few cases a year of very very ill and suffering children.

Anyway, back on topic: 75% of the Belgians agree with the law so this also shows that the king's decision was the most democratic one.

Last edited:
I do not consider King Philip a Catholic anymore and many Catholics think the same. Even if the political situation is so difficult in Belgium nobody can accept and sign such a law without clearly abandoning the faith. May the Lord have mercy of the sick children of Belgium after such a law!

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/new...-vote-to-allow-children-to-choose-euthanasia/

P.S.: It was not allowed to have a different thread for "Royal Family and Faith".Why??

Last edited:
Cory, one thing is a thread about the Belgian Royal Family and their faith; a different thing is a polemical thread about euthanasia and the alleged (by you) betrayal of his faith committed by King Philippe by signing the law allowing euthanasia.
I'm sure you know the rules of this Forum and that discussions on religion and politics here are strongly discouraged.

That said, I'd suggest to move on with the discussion on the actual topic of this thread - King Philippe's current events. Thanks.

MAfan
Belgian Forum Moderator

The question of the relation of the Royal Family with the faith can't be put aside only because some do not accept any critics to the King. There are also other issues regarding faith and it is not understandable why we can't have such a thread!

Cory , do you really want Belgium would be a Republic !
As said Al Bine ,King Philippe cannot affort to have any crisis!
He signed the Law and they are much more critics outside Belgium than inside.
AMEN

I prefer Belgium to have a King does not betray his own relation for the sake of politics.

I prefer Belgium to have a King does not betray his own relation for the sake of politics.

let me try and explain you in a way that you can better understand it. I take as example the figure of the President of Italy (as we're both Italian) which has the same kind of power the King of Belgian has (as far as I know).
Now if the Parliament approves a law here in Italy, it's on the President duties to ratify it by signing it (whether he approves it or not) because the Parliament has expressed the voice and will of the majority of the country (at least those who voted). The President can decide not to sign a law if he has prove it to be unconstitutional: in that case the parliament has to modify the law but the president once the law is adjusted MUST sign it.
this is (more or less) what happens in Belgium as well. the king HAD to sign the law. if the Belgian people wouldn't have wanted that law to be made, then they should have chosen some other party at the elections.
It would be considered a scandal here if President Napolitano decide not to sign a law because of his beliefs and so would rightfully be in Belgium. The President should resign and so should the King do...but in Belgium, I'm quite sure this would also mean the end of the Monarchy.

At last, as a practicing catholic, I firmly believe in free will: if you don't believe in euthanasia, abortion or divorce, then you don't practice it. But let people, who have different beliefs do what they think is best for them. And really, about certain matters, we can't judge: only when you've been through what those families are experiencing, one can fully understand why they would let their children die, instead of endure any more pain.

Now please, I suggest you not to criticize on this man (a good man, husband, father and king) anymore.

please - to the belgian people here in the forum - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Belgium is a democracy and not a theocracy AFAIK. The king did his constitutional duty & the only right thing and signed the law. A law that was accepted by a democratic parlament, representing the Belgian people. The king doesn't have to agree with what is said in these laws but his signature means that the legal process by which the law was accepted in parlament was valid. If he uses these laws as a tool to voice his personal beliefs he will quite rightly be out of a job rather quickly.

His own father signed the original euthenasia bill so I am sure his family will be sympathetic.

Baudouin made a big mistake by letting his personal beliefs prevail over his democratic duty. He started a constitutional crisis. He got away with it as he had been head of state for 40 years, people knew his trouble in getting children and because he was Baudouin, the semi-saint. His successor Albert tried to do the same but the then government quickly told him that another Baudouin scenario was unthinkable and could only lead to a government crisis, to Albert's abdication and possibly to the abolishment of the monarchy. It was once and never again. No Belgian politician of any influence would have stood by the king if he refused to sign this law, even the ones that oppose it. A scenario as in Luxembourg where the Garnd Duke squandered his rights would be unacceptable at this point too. King Philippe did the only right thing, even though I am quite sure that euthenasia goes against his own beliefs.

I don't think that signing this law makes him less of a catholic. It makes him a catholic who is realistic and who knows that people who do not agree with the church teachings on this matter - the vast majority in Belgium- should have the option to decide for themselves what they think is best for them. He is not a priest, he is the king of all the Belgians, not only of Belgian Opus Dei members.

Couldn't have said it better and I'm a Catholic myself :flowers:

King Philippe attended the opening session of the 9th Brussels forum, organized by the German Marshall Fund for North American and European political, corporate and intellectual leaders, in Brussels, today, March 21:

** belga gallery ** facetoface **

Today, April 25, King Philippe visited the Permanent Control Committee of Intelligence and Security Services (Standing Committee R) in Brussels on the occasion of its 20th anniversary.

** gettyimages gallery ** belga gallery ** facetoface **

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom