Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde - Current Events part 15

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empress

Heir Apparent
Country
United States
Welcome to a new thread for Crown Prince Philippe & Crown Princess Mathilde of Belgium' current events

The previous thread can be found here

Please post current news and pictures of Prince Philippe & Princess Mathilde in this thread.
While doing so, please remember to follow the
TRF Posting Rules & Guidelines & also on Photo Agencies & Copyright:
  • The current events' thread is only for current news & events
  • Do not forget to provide sources for all photos & articles
  • Please remember when posting pictures, to post only selected ones (there is no need to post whole bunch of similar photos). Providing a direct link to the photos or the photo album is recommended.
  • Please do not linked the photos directly. Hotlinking is strongly prohibited.
  • Pictures from previous events may be posted in the picture thread via imagehost.
  • Please be respectful to others' opinions even if you're disagree, and always be courteous to your follow members.
  • Lastly, have fun and enjoy!

crm2317 said:
She looks wonderful and is glowing. I was wondering if that is Mathilde's naturel figure after 3 children or is there another bundle of joy going to be announced soon? Maybe it is just my wishful thinking:rolleyes:

I'm not really sure myself but she still looks wonderful. Guess we have to wait and see or at the least wait for an official annoucement.

She is very pretty in pink. In this dress she remind me again Princess Grace (I think that first time she looks like Grace in Luxemburg).
I don't think that she is pregnant but who knows?

Last edited:
magnik said:
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto
On this photo she remind me Elisabeth:D

Thanks to stephaniev for the photo.

Thanks for the picture. She looks beautiful and I love the style of the dress as well as the color. I wish there were a few more pics of the couple together. But nice to see them out and about. The Prince really looks very distinguished. Does anyone think that Mathilde's hair looks shorter or has that already been discussed? It looks a little shorter to me there for awhile I thought she might let it grow some but I'm not thinking that anymore.

Last edited:
She really looks stunning and beautiful in the pink dress...
A truely classy and elegant princess and honestly i don't think enough credit is given to both her and the CP.

leanne said:
When is the next time we will see Princess Mathilde?:flowers:

Tomorrow there's a concert which the entire Belgian royal family - including Mathilde - will attend at the Royal Palace

06/06/07

Prince Philippe puts back the Price Francqui on 2007 to the prize-winner, Mr François de Callata ÿ, to the Palace of Academies(Regional education authorities) in Brussels (LINK Belga.be) BelgaPicture

Jelka said:
Tomorrow there's a concert which the entire Belgian royal family - including Mathilde - will attend at the Royal Palace

Does that include the children?

Mathilde looks fantastic! Her dress, her shoes and especially her earrings :wub: are wonderful!

I love Mathilde! She's so charming, reserved, discreet and overall a solid woman. At times, her style is too old fashioned for my taste, but it suits her very well. Those earrings are gorgeous! Thanks for the pics.

Again problems with a Belgian Prince

Sorry to break the sugarcake most posters seems to see over the unstable Belgian monarchy.

Now it is Prince Philippe who is under fire.

In the Nineties the Prince borrowed antique furniture from the Royal Palace in Antwerp. A building that was long very neglected and in detoriation: it has not been used for decades.

But the Flemish Government, owner of the building, is restoring it to old splendour and wants the missing furniture to be returned to the Palace. Despite numerous requests, the Court has not reacted.

The Flemish Minister of Housing has now threathened to summon the Prince before Court if he has not handed over the 'illegal' furniture to the rightful owner (= the Flemish Government). See article.

The Prince has 'borrowed', amongst other items, a bed made for Joséphine de Beauharnais, the spouse of Napoleon, an antique marble fireplace, an exclusive wooden cabinet, etc.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
Sorry to break the sugarcake most posters seems to see over the unstable Belgian monarchy.

In the Nineties the Prince borrowed antique furniture from the Royal Palace in Antwerp. A building that was long very neglected and in detoriation: it has not been used for decades.

But the Flemish Government, owner of the building, is restoring it to old splendour and wants the missing furniture to be returned to the Palace. Despite numerous requests, the Court has not reacted.

The Flemish Minister of Housing has now threathened to summon the Prince before Court if he has not handed over the 'illegal' furniture to the rightful owner (= the Flemish Government). See article.

The Prince has 'borrowed', amongst other items, a bed made for Joséphine de Beauharnais, the spouse of Napoleon, an antique marble fireplace, an exclusive wooden cabinet, etc.

I hope they can find a solution to this. Art pieces should be where they can be restored and admired by people who really care for art.

Henri M. said:

I'm starting to have real doubts whether or not the BRF will see another day. I strongly believe that Philippe won't make it. Why hasn't the court replied? It's not as though there asking Phillipe to give up one of his limbs. I heard Mathilde's dutch sounds like it was out of a textbook. Is her mother tongue french then? The Flemish are really determined not to see Phillipe as King. Do they favour independence or a diffrent new head of state [in the future]?

flctylu said:
I'm starting to have real doubts whether or not the BRF will see another day. I strongly believe that Philippe won't make it. Why hasn't the court replied? It's not as though there asking Phillipe to give up one of his limbs. I heard Mathilde's dutch sounds like it was out of a textbook. Is her mother tongue french then? The Flemish are really determined not to see Phillipe as King. Do they favour independence or a diffrent new head of state [in the future]?

Princess Mathilde's mother is neither a native Dutch nor French-speaking person. She is of Polish origin: Anna Countess Komorowska daughter of Leon Count Komorowski and of Sophia Princess Sapieha-Kodenska (who died in a car crash with Mathilde's sister Lady Marie-Alix d'Udekem d'Acoz, in 1997).

Princess Mathilde's mother married in Belgrade (now Serbia, then Yugoslavia) with Jonkheer/Écuyer (noble) Patrick d'Udekem d'Acoz. They live in Château Losange in Villers-le-Bonne-Eau. This is in French-speaking Belgium, so Princess Mathilde's native tongue is French.

A great-uncle of Princess Mathilde was Adam Stefan Cardinal Sapieha, Prince Sapieha-Kodenski, Archbishop of Cracow. He was the first teacher of his later successor as Archbishop and the later Pope, Karol Wojtyla (Pope Johannes Paulus II).

Last edited:
Aquarela said:
I hope they can find a solution to this. Art pieces should be where they can be restored and admired by people who really care for art.

Art pieces fill most of the Royal palaces here there and everywhere,most purchased/commisioned by the ancestors of the present Royals,so no,they should stay right were they are.

As to the Antwerp Royal Palace,it was derilict for decades,no one gave a hoot,and now,all of a sudden this brouhaha over a coffee-table,as Lucas rightfully remarked on the BRMB,it's just another,convenient,case of bickering the members of the RF.

To us foreigners,the media gives the impression the Belgian Monarchy itself is under strong flack,but in reality it is less than a quarter of the Flamish population that don't care either way.The media outlets sell better with another supposed Royal scandal.

As to the items now at Laeken Castle,they would have rotted away if it wasn't for the Duke of Brabant to use,safeguard and upkeep them,no one else cared.

The belgians love to make una bella figura parading around their beautifull cities,towns and scenery,but underneath the surface.......

lucien said:
Art pieces fill most of the Royal palaces here there and everywhere,most purchased/commisioned by the ancestors of the present Royals,so no,they should stay right were they are.

As to the Antwerp Royal Palace,it was derilict for decades,no one gave a hoot,and now,all of a sudden this brouhaha over a coffee-table,as Lucas rightfully remarked on the BRMB,it's just another,convenient,case of bickering the members of the RF.

To us foreigners,the media gives the impression the Belgian Monarchy itself is under strong flack,but in reality it is less than a quarter of the Flamish population that don't care either way.The media outlets sell better with another supposed Royal scandal.

As to the items now at Laeken Castle,they would have rotted away if it wasn't for the Duke of Brabant to use,safeguard and upkeep them,no one else cared.

The belgians love to make una bella figura parading around their beautifull cities,towns and scenery,but underneath the surface.......

I agree with your observation, but is it not telling this constant bashing on royals does not appear in the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Norway, Denmark, etc.?

And for the furniture: you are right about the (waterdripping beautiful) 'hidden' Royal Palace at the Meir in Antwerp. But this does not mean the Prince has the right to keep furniture (really not only a 'coffee table' but also a bed, a historic cabinet, a fireplace, etc.) under his roof when these are not his property.

The strange thing in all this: where is the Dotation Royale? The Belgians are lucky to have a Trust which provides fabulous residences for the royal family. Part of the properties are at the disposal of the King, such as the park of Laeken, the chateaux of Belvédère, Stuyvenberg, Ciergnon and Fenffe, and other properties like offices in Brussels or agricultural land are rented out in order to generate income for the Trust.

What is it that Prince Laurent has to use fraud money to furbish his villa and that Prince Philippe needs to 'borrow' other's property for his appartments in the Château de Laeken? You would say that the Dotation Royale has plenty of possibilities for them?

In case I'm not the only one having problems with the getty images link, here are two pics from another agency :) :

Crown Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde of Belgium take vote in Legislative and Senate Elections on June 10, 2007 in Brussels, Belgium. According to recent polls, Yves Leterme, regional leader and party heavyweight of the Flemish Christian Democrats, will become the next prime minister.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Picture gallery

Henri M. said:
And for the furniture: you are right about the (waterdripping beautiful) 'hidden' Royal Palace at the Meir in Antwerp. But this does not mean the Prince has the right to keep furniture (really not only a 'coffee table' but also a bed, a historic cabinet, a fireplace, etc.) under his roof when these are not his property.

The strange thing in all this: where is the Dotation Royale? The Belgians are lucky to have a Trust which provides fabulous residences for the royal family. Part of the properties are at the disposal of the King, such as the park of Laeken, the chateaux of Belvédère, Stuyvenberg, Ciergnon and Fenffe, and other properties like offices in Brussels or agricultural land are rented out in order to generate income for the Trust.

What is it that Prince Laurent has to use fraud money to furbish his villa and that Prince Philippe needs to 'borrow' other's property for his appartments in the Château de Laeken? You would say that the Dotation Royale has plenty of possibilities for them?
Obviously the HBvL online article cited by HenriM. contains many inaccuracies and offers an abridged description of this dispute. IMO it is helpful to look for more detailed and accurate sources before operating with harsh judgements like “illegal” furniture etc.
The Royal Palace in Antwerp was handed over to the Flemish government in 1969 by King Baudouin, providing that the royal character should be conserved. And for a long time the Flemish government did not give a hoot about it – as Lucien put it. In the 80ties some of the furniture was brought to Brussels and stored in museums and probably in Laeken castle to prevent damages. Philippe just took some of the pieces to furnish his apartment and it is fairly vague if the fireplace or the bed are amongst those pieces.
And the person in charge for a possible lawsuit is NOT Philippe but the Federal finance minister (whoever that may be in the future). De facto the property situation of the furniture is controversial. While the Flemish government declares the Palace was handed over with the furniture, the Federal government says the furniture is part of the Royal Trust/Collection (=Donation Royale BTW) and therefore possession of the federal state represented by the finance minister. This should also apply for the furniture which is still inside Antwerps´s Royal Palace. So possible litigants are the Flemish government re the Federal finance minister.
And one should also take the timing of this “request” into account: three days before the federal elections took place by a minister who is the founder of the Flemish separatist party N-VA. It is an election campaign stunt with the N-VA party leader Bart de Wever joyfully joining in and hypocritically commenting on the “furniture affaire” in the local newspaper Gazet van Antwerpen.

It would be helpful if all involved parties would discuss this subject in an objective manner and find a solution without heading into a lawsuit. Prominent pieces should be returned to Antwerp IF the Flemish government sticks to the royal museum concept. And if the furniture is indeed property of the Royal Collection a contract of loan for use could be the solution, because I seriously doubt it that the Flemish government is willing to pay the nominal value. And coming up with an rather silly ultimatum while it takes more than a year till the renovation will be finished is not helpful IMHO.

johann said:
Obviously the HBvL online article cited by HenriM. contains many inaccuracies and offers an abridged description of this dispute. IMO it is helpful to look for more detailed and accurate sources before operating with harsh judgements like “illegal” furniture etc.
The Royal Palace in Antwerp was handed over to the Flemish government in 1969 by King Baudouin, providing that the royal character should be conserved. And for a long time the Flemish government did not give a hoot about it – as Lucien put it. In the 80ties some of the furniture was brought to Brussels and stored in museums and probably in Laeken castle to prevent damages. Philippe just took some of the pieces to furnish his apartment and it is fairly vague if the fireplace or the bed are amongst those pieces.
And the person in charge for a possible lawsuit is NOT Philippe but the Federal finance minister (whoever that may be in the future). De facto the property situation of the furniture is controversial. While the Flemish government declares the Palace was handed over with the furniture, the Federal government says the furniture is part of the Royal Trust/Collection (=Donation Royale BTW) and therefore possession of the federal state represented by the finance minister. This should also apply for the furniture which is still inside Antwerps´s Royal Palace. So possible litigants are the Flemish government re the Federal finance minister.
And one should also take the timing of this “request” into account: three days before the federal elections took place by a minister who is the founder of the Flemish separatist party N-VA. It is an election campaign stunt with the N-VA party leader Bart de Wever joyfully joining in and hypocritically commenting on the “furniture affaire” in the local newspaper Gazet van Antwerpen.

It would be helpful if all involved parties would discuss this subject in an objective manner and find a solution without heading into a lawsuit. Prominent pieces should be returned to Antwerp IF the Flemish government sticks to the royal museum concept. And if the furniture is indeed property of the Royal Collection a contract of loan for use could be the solution, because I seriously doubt it that the Flemish government is willing to pay the nominal value. And coming up with an rather silly ultimatum while it takes more than a year till the renovation will be finished is not helpful IMHO.

If such a detailed explanation can be given by you (much appreciated), do you think it is wise that neither the Prince nor the Court did react on formal requests by the Flemish Government concerning the missing furniture? Why all this silence as a grave? Isn't that provoking and asking for avoidable problems?

I'm a little bit surprised if this action by N-VA was initiated to bash the royal family. N-VA's partners the CD&V and CDH are probably the most pro-monarchy parties in Belgium.... I think future Premier Leterme is the best what could happen to the royal family.

:flowers:

Henri M. said:
If such a detailed explanation can be given by you (much appreciated), do you think it is wise that neither the Prince nor the Court did react on formal requests by the Flemish Government concerning the missing furniture? Why all this silence as a grave? Isn't that provoking and asking for avoidable problems?
Well we only know the “Flemish version” of this story. The newspaper De Morgen reports the court did react in a constructive manner but at a certain point the contacts stopped and the court referred to the federal finance minister, who also remained silent. And as this could have several reasons, I don´t feel entitled to judge the situation. The phrase “several requests remained unanswered” is quite vague and one could also wonder about the tone of this requests. And to speculate if the furniture is sold (heaven forbid), lost or damaged (people in glass houses…) is also quite aggressive. I agree, the “No comment” policy of the court appears clumsy again, while the Flemish minister presses his claims in an aggressive and undiplomatic manner again. Talking about entrenched habits which make the coexistence/political life so difficult in Belgium (and somehow nerv-splitting to watch as onlooker).

And IMHO it´s indeed high time to re-organise the court (e.g. pension Jacques van Ypersele de Strihou off or replace Ghislain D´Hoop) and implement another PR policy. But lamenting about this unfortunately does not change anything.

Indeed Beautiful im glad they are taking a more active role in Friendship with other Nations

What color are Mathilde and the Chinese lady next to her wearing? It looks white to me. Does that mean they broke protocol? I remember Letizia was lambasted here for breaking so-called protocol by wearing white by a poster here when she went to China.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom