Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde - Current Events part 14

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know if marriage with strict division between their personal estates is common in royal families or is this rather an exeption?

It is usance

martha-louise said:
Do you know if marriage with strict division between their personal estates is common in royal families or is this rather an exeption?

The late Prince Bernhard himself declared that he inherited 'nothing' from his spouse Queen Juliana, who held the bulk of the Orange-Nassau fortune. Also in this case his own estate (properties, investments, inheritances from his German family, his personal allowance) was strictly separated from the estate of his late spouse Queen Juliana.

I have understood that in the United Kingdom there is no such thing as 'huwelijkse voorwaarden' ('marriage conditions') as we do know it on the Continent, and Prince Charles had to pay enormous amounts to his former spouse Diana, when they divorced.

In the Amsterdam Arrondissement Court of Justice, in the Family Registry Chamber you can request an insight in all contracts attached to all marriages officiated in Amsterdam. So also the marrage contract of Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At present, February the Tenth, in the year Nineteen-hundred-sixty-six, have appeared in person before me, Willem Groen LL.M., Notary, with domicily in The Hague;
On the one side;
Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrix Wilhelmina Armgard of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld;
and;
on the other side;
Claus Georg Wilhelm Otto Friedrich Gerd von Amsberg, Assessor Juris;
named the comparants.

The comparants have declared to have agreed on arrangements for a marriage on a strict division of estates. Also the unity of profits and of losses is exluded.

Arranged and agreed by contract of February the Tenth, in the year Nineteen-hundred-sixty-six, signed by the comparants, in the presence of the high- and wellborn Jonkheer Eric Willem Röell LL.M., Particulier Treasurer of Her Majesty The Queen; and the high- and wellborn Jonkheer Petrus Adrianus van Buttingha Wichers LL.M., Candidate-Notary.

For the act, Willem Groen LL.M., Notary.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This means that both fortunes remain strictly separated.

Last edited:
After thinking about the question, it is logic that royal families will seperate their patrimonium from that of new family members. Like it has become common to marry a ordinary citizens it seems more safe.

It's the whole opposite from the past, when marriages where organised to have more power and to get a bit of the fortune of the other.

martha-louise said:
After thinking about the question, it is logic that royal families will seperate their patrimonium from that of new family members. Like it has become common to marry a ordinary citizens it seems more safe.

It's the whole opposite from the past, when marriages where organised to have more power and to get a bit of the fortune of the other.

No, also in the past marriage contracts were usance. See this pic of a wonderful marriage contract from The Prince of Orange (later King Willem II) and Anna Paulovna Romanovna Grand Duchess of Russia.

But 'divorce' was unknown and an ultimately shame. A divorce was simply un-imagineable.

:flowers:

See also this article (in Dutch)

Last edited:
Thanks for the interesting article!

(Divorce was not totatly unknown, but we must admit Henry VIII of England was an extreme exeption ;))

By their title, the Duke and Duchess of Brabant, is it similar to Crown Prince and Princess?

acegirl1978 said:
By their title, the Duke and Duchess of Brabant, is it similar to Crown Prince and Princess?

It is the usual title for the Heir(ess) to the throne

Thailand
HRH The Crown Prince of Thailand

Norway
HRH The Crown Prince (Princess) of Norway

Japan
HIH The Crown Prince of Japan

Sweden
HRH The Crown Prince (Princess) of Sweden

Denmark
HRH The Crown Prince (male) of Denmark
HRH The Throne Follower (female)

United Kingdom
HRH The Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay (eventually HRH The Prince of Wales)

Belgium
HRH The Duke (Duchess) of Brabant

Luxembourg
HRH The Hereditary Grand Duke (Duchess) of Luxembourg

Spain
HRH The Prince of Asturias

Monaco
HSH The Hereditary Prince (Princess) of Monaco

Liechtenstein
HSH The Hereditary Prince (Princess) von und zu Liechtenstein

The Netherlands
HRH The Prince (Princess) of Orange

leanne said:
I see at the offical Monarchie site that Princess Mathilde has no visits scheduled until June - do you think she will be out and about in April and May. Otherwise it's a long time to wait!

I hope not so.... :bang:

Henri M. said:
It is the usual title for the Heir(ess) to the throne
Denmark
HRH The Throne Follower (female)

Wow, I've never heard of that. So if little Christian had been a girl, and Fred and Mary had only kept having girls, then once Frederik became king, his daughter would be HRH The Throne Follower, and not HRH The Crown Princess?

morhange said:
[/i][/font]

Wow, I've never heard of that. So if little Christian had been a girl, and Fred and Mary had only kept having girls, then once Frederik became king, his daughter would be HRH The Throne Follower, and not HRH The Crown Princess?

Yes, because in Denmark a female heiress can still be passed in favour of a younger sibling.

From June 5th 1953 until January 14th 1972 Queen Margrethe was 'HRH Princess Margrethe of Denmark, the Thronefollower'. Would her parents have given birth to a younger brother, no matter the Prince is 20 years younger, he would have passed her.

:flowers:

I've been looking for some more pics mathilde16 and I haven't been too lucky. But maybe someone else will find some and also I'll keep checking.

Mathilde visit in May Marocco for Unicef and UNAIDS

She visit at 19 april NASCI

Monarchie.be

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures stephanie, a lovely family.

-
The intervew with Mathilde is interesting. I didnt know she has ben involved with the fight against breast cancer for a few yeas already.

I think that the fight against breast cancer is one of the things that Mathilde does quietly.. I would venture a guess that there are others, and that they will come out slowly but surely. I think that she does alot to help bring attention to the things that she does help though, and that is a good thing to do in her position.

Okay, this might seem a bit random, but after so many babies were born this week, it got me to thinking, are Philippe and Mathilde done? looking at the pattern they've set up so far, they've had a child every 2 years, around fall. Are they done after 3, or do they want more? Thanks.

If I good remember I think that Philippe said something about that he wants have a big family.

What other babies are you thinking about. The only one that I know of is the new Orange baby.

beautiful family! ive never seen them on a skiing trip before.

Happy Birthday Prince Philippe

Prince Philippe is 47 today - Happy Birthday!:flowers:

leanne said:
Prince Philippe is 47 today - Happy Birthday!:flowers:

i never though P.Philipe was 47, he looks much younger than that.
Pictures of them walking are nice, thechildren are growing up fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom