Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde: Current Events Jun 2005-Aug 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a new program, one especially made for TV5. De Rode Loper is a Flemish showbizz magazine that sometimes has clips on the royal family and Thomas Van Hamme presents a program on the francophone tv, called C'est du Belge. So what you get to see is probably a mix of the best moments. That's not bad :)

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
I think this is a new program, one especially made for TV5. De Rode Loper is a Flemish showbizz magazine that sometimes has clips on the royal family and Thomas Van Hamme presents a program on the francophone tv, called C'est du Belge. So what you get to see is probably a mix of the best moments. That's not bad :)

Thanks for the info.
So bad I'm not at home! The TV of my parents has lot of foreign channels. And what I love is to discover royal families from an inside point of view.

Cathérine Bergeyck said:

No, not bad at all.:) Thanks for the information Cathérine. Too bad I didn't notice the program earlier, but now that I have I'll be sure to watch it.:)
Btw it's on next Friday as well at 3.27 p.m. - 2.27 p.m. in London - and I think that's the time the program will be shown every Friday.

Old photos of Philippe

1,4,6,7,8. with his uncle, king Baudouin
3. with laurent and Astrid
9. at the baptism of one of the children of his cousin, prince Jean of Luxemburg and Hélène Vestur

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 195
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 182
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 263
  • 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 195
3. with Amedeo and Laura

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 374
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 202
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 150
Thank you very much for these old pictures Cathérine, they're absolutely wonderful.:)

Catherine, What do you know about the relationship of King Baudoin and Phillippe? In many photos I have seen, the two are together.

Emily said:
Catherine, What do you know about the relationship of King Baudoin and Phillippe? In many photos I have seen, the two are together.

Philippe and Baudouin were very close. After a few years and a number of miscarriages, Baudouin and Fabiola realized they were probably never going to have children. So Philippe would be the king after Baudouin and Albert (many people thought he would be king directly after Baudouin, because no-one expected him to die so soon).

Philippe spent a lot of time with his uncle to learn. Baudouin also gave him his sence of duty. As a teenager Philippe's parents lived apart, both with someone else and this was of course a very frustrating thing for Philippe, Astrid and Laurent. Baudouin and Fabiola sort of took care of them in that period. They never tried to replace the role of parents, but it made them very close to the children - well at least to Astrid & Philippe, Laurent never got along with his aunt and uncle (very different characters and whereas Baudouin and Philippe were both very aware of the duties they had and have Laurent was more aware of women and parties than anything else ...).

It's no secret that Philippe looked up to his uncle and considers him an example, although there are differences between them. They both have a serious image and their country is their life (Philippe often talks about 'My Belgians' - which I find very beautiful), but on the other hand Philippe has a relaxed side that his family life has given him and that Baudouin missed. They're both convinced catholics, but Philippe will always regard this as a private affair (the baptisms of his children were private affairs - so as to not hurt anyone with a different belief, or no belief) and not a state one (king Baudouin refused to sign the abortion law in 1993 because he could not accept it).

Sometimes it's said that Philippe was closer to Baudouin than to Albert, I don't know if that's true. Maybe their characters are more alike, but he's close to his father as well.

Gabriel's second name is Baudouin which says a lot about the love and admiration Philippe had for his uncle.

Thank you Cathérine for the story about Philippe and Baudouin.:) Sad Baudouin never lived long enough to see Philippe get married and have children.

I thought these pictures of Philippe dancing with Princess Helene from 1998 had been posted before so I had a look at all the threads for Philippe and Mathilde, but I couldn't find them. They're from Seegerpress.

Attachments

• pre-SEEGER00013471.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00013471.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 916
  • pre-SEEGER00013470.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00013470.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 757
  • pre-SEEGER00013469.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00013469.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 629
Catherine thank you so much for the information. This is a family that has worked through some tough times. It is touching to see the way Phillippe, Astrid and Laurent manage their marriages (through photos, I am obviously speaking) after the hard times of their parents -- perhaps some of their stability is the legacy of Baudouin and Fabiola's involvement with them. May I bother you with two more questions? One, when KA and QP lived apart, were they living in Belgium and did either of them live with their children? Two, does Phillippe continue to have a close relationship with Fabiola?

Emily said:
when KA and QP lived apart, were they living in Belgium and did either of them live with their children? ?

Yes they were living in Belgium, but Paola did often return to Italy. I think the children lived with Paola, but I believe they also lived a while at Laeken with Baudouin and Fabiola.

Emily said:
does Phillippe continue to have a close relationship with Fabiola?

Yes, certainly. Both Philippe and Astrid and their families have a strong relationship with Fabiola. Now that she's older I often have the impression they're looking after her a bit. Their children are close to her as well, and Mathilde (who married into the family after all) also seems very close to her.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 298
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 230
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 206
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 170
More info on this photo by Lindy

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=172425

"The picture is from the baptism of Prince Jean's first son, Constantin, who was born in Paris on July 22, 1988. Jean's cousin Prince Philippe was indeed the godfather. Prince Jean said at the time that Phillipe was one of his best friends.

Jean and Helen's first child, Marie-Gabrielle, was born out-of-wedlock in 1986. They were married in 1987 and Constantin was born the following year. IIRC, GD Jean and Josephine-Charlotte never attended any of the baptisms of Prince Jean's children, including this one. I have always felt that Prince Philippe showed a great deal of support for his cousin by being a godfather.

Prince Philippe also attended the baptism of the next son Wenceslas. PdV had pictures of him
playing with his godson Constantin before the service."

Thank you again, Catherine. What a beautiful photo of Mathilde holding Elisabeth and pointing to the picture of KB and QF -- I haven't seen that.

Cathérine, already you know where the Mathilde princess is to pass vacation?:)

selminha said:
Cathérine, already you know where the Mathilde princess is to pass vacation?:)

I don't think she'll phone to tell me :)

No idea... seeing the baby is for September/October Maybe just camping in the park of Laeken?

2nd August 2005 : Because of the death of king Fahd prince Philippe travels to Riyad (Saoudi Arabia) where king Abdullah welcomes the foreign delegations for his enthronement. Minister Sabine Laruelle accompanies the prince as representant of the federal government.

Source : Monarchie.be

Thank you, Cathérine for the thorough explanation, as always.:eek:

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
2nd August 2005 : Because of the death of king Fahd prince Philippe travels to Riyad (Saoudi Arabia) where king Abdullah welcomes the foreign delegations for his enthronement. Minister Sabine Laruelle accompanies the prince as representant of the federal government.

Source : Monarchie.be

From picturedesk/contrast.

Old picture of Philippe meeting King Fahd in 1993.

Attachments

• 6400738.jpg
    6400738.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom