Prince Albert and Princess Charlene Current Events - Part 1: July 2011- February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why were they there? A business deal!! This is a business event, a perk. Yes, there are some actors and actresses who distract everyone and sit in the front rows, but this is big business, and most of the attendees are on the business side.

Apparently some of you didn't watch Albert interviewed by Robin Roberts, who hosts one of two major news/breakfast broadcasts. She is ordinarily VERY good because she is on tape. The oscars is a live show and she came across Prince Albert and Charlene and the Disney big wigs and just lost it. Albert saved the day, he was the only one who spoke in complete sentences. Our family was very impressed with how he referenced his mother and was polite and mentioned the "deal" with Disney.he Percentage of "celebrities" that attend is very small.

Why CW look scare. The dress look to big for her. She need to smile more.

I was afraid this was going to happen -I wrote about it a month ago. Their appearance at the Oscars was a flop. The snarky, cruel remarks about Charlene and Albert are all over the web again. Most Hollywood blogs either never mention them or those that do have made a joke out of them.

I wish they would think things through better. If you come to Hollywood on their biggest night- you better be part of the night or you better WOW in some way. Unfortunately Albert and Charlene did not at all. Like I said if Grace was being honored there and Albert was there to accept that honor, I believe their reception would have been very, very different. When William and Kate came to Hollywood- William was the Honorary President of BAFTA, they belonged there and they were the biggest hit of the night that was glowingly talked about for months in the world press and still is- Kate’s dress, their red carpet walk, the biggest Hollywood stars breaking their necks to meet the British newlyweds.

It was the opposite for Charlene and Albert. I was almost embarrassed for them with the lack of any kind of respect or attention. I’ve never heard anyone interviewed at the Oscars asked the question- “Why are you here?” Most people had no idea who they were- and those few that did wondered why they were there. And what didn’t help at all is that Albert and especially Charlene looked just as confused and not very happy looking- so of course the articles drudge up the wedding fiasco again. I think it reduced them in the eyes of a lot of people. Instead of coming across like a Prince and Princess they were portrayed as party crashers. They got a big snub from the Hollywood press.

On the upside- like I said also- hopefully with the hobnobbing at the parties they were able to make some good contacts and convince some people to come to Monaco and spend some time and money. Then it would make this whole trip worth it from a business stand point. Also I really hoped they enjoyed themselves. But they need to plan more carefully and avoid situations where they are portrayed like this. Albert is a head of state. I’d like to see where they are respected, not ridiculed like this, but they have to think things through better when they make their appearance decisions. JMO

When William and Kate came to Hollywood- William was the Honorary President of BAFTA, they belonged there and they were the biggest hit of the night that was glowingly talked about for months in the world press and still is - Kate’s dress, their red carpet walk, the biggest Hollywood stars breaking their necks to meet the British newlyweds.

I wince whenever I hear this - its a bug-aboo of mine because I was around for the above - and it was an eye-opener for me. Its like the reporting of a disaster - there is always a disjunct between the reportage and what its like 'on the ground'.

This has everything to do with PR machines - which Albert and Charlene clearly are not vested in - and William and Kate are, or they that 'handle' them are.

William and Kate were the 'hit of the night' because the event was arranged around them within the venue. What you're 'quoting' is the PR machine - the British press delivering the spin. The 'world press' are the tabloids. Their 'red carpet walk' was minimal and nothing on the order of the Oscars. Hollywood stars - contrary to what has been reported - were not 'breaking their necks' to meet the newlyweds. Dear heavens! There were people attending that event who had quite another opinion of 'the newlyweds' showing up at that venue - but you haven't heard that because it doesn't go along with the fiction being spun.

'Official' LA, too, (like the mayor) did everything they could to make them feel welcome - because that's what they do - but it was far from a 'triumphal progression'. A handful of 'regular folk' turned out to 'greet' them - even though the nightly news the night before asked Angelinos to show up. Those interviewed, who happened to be around the locales the royals were at, indicated that 'royalty wasn't their thing'. Ooops!

As I say - it was an eye-opener watching that whole thing. The presentation - the furiously working PR - and the reality - were quite different. Hearing it always referred to as 'a success' is wince-able. I think some people mistake 'politeness' extended - people saying how great it was in an interview in Britain, say - for actual success. The Americans are being polite! (BTW its not that it was a non-success, either - it was great for those who like that sort of thing, of course it was {I am one but I am rather fond of accuracy, too} - but it was most definitely not the heady hysteria that seems to be the fiction peddled).

Same for Albert and Charlene - you may be under the impression you indicate - but Albert has been a presence here in Hollywood for many years. He has far and away more 'right' to be here than William - whose BAFTA position is merely 'honorary', no personal work to back it up (yet), just position of birth. Albert (and Charlene) are sought after here in the best possible of ways regardless of what you may have been led to believe by spin.

Rant over.

Who would PA donate to? That is ridiculous. His foundation has had a relationship with Disney for several years. He was their guest. PA has been surrounded by people from Hollywood since birth. His mother was an Academy Award winner. People like George Clooney, Brad and Angelina, Michael Douglas and Stephen Spielberg are seen in Monaco yearly. If you want to get snobby, why was Jane Seymour there? She is a hasbeen TV personality. (I like Jane so I don't mind.) I note a tinge of envy from Europe, especially the UK.

Right on! All sorts of folks are attending the Oscars - for very good reasons. Albert and Charlene got press is the difference.

Last edited:
So they had to explain why they were there? The anniversary of GK death was not a good excuse for the press. Of course, the idea of attending was just weird, they are totally out of place and were completely unnoticed.

As Albert didn't attend the Oscars on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th or 25th anniversary of Grace's death it makes sense to me why the press would be curious as to his / their presence this year.

Yep, they went so unnoticed that Charlene's dress was featured as part of the few dresses that were admired on the night. ! ;)

Also, Re: Tyger's post (above) = Excellent !! :flowers:

Last edited:
As Albert didn't attend the Oscars on the 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th or 25th anniversary of Grace's death it makes sense to me why the press would be curious as to his / their presence this year.

Yep, they went so unnoticed that Charlene dress was featured as part of the few dresses that were admired on the night. ! ;)

Hummm...Albert hasn't been in the limelight in past years. His marriage to Charlene has boosted his "popularity." Do we really know if he wasn't there in years past? No, we don't.

Hummm...Albert hasn't been in the limelight in past years. His marriage to Charlene has boosted his "popularity." Do we really know if he wasn't there in years past? No, we don't.

Somewhere, it could have been on another forum that I belong to or possibly a film forum I belong to, I read that this was Albert's first time to attend the Oscars. :flowers:

Needless to say, just because I read it doesn't necessarily mean it is correct. ;)

Can't dispute that. Just so much fuss...

I agree with the Americans above; especially Tyger. PA and PC were there to drum up business for Monaco. PW and DC were there for the same reason earlier in the year. Americans think of the Grimaldis as being Americans as much as being royalty. PA understands that. That is why Monaco is publicising Grace Kelly instead of Princess Grace.

Last edited:
For me, the Hollywood stars are much more impressive company than the Eurotrash that are mostly photographed attending Monaco's balls anyway.

Hollywood is Grace Kelly's former kingdom. She is still revered, and forever will be. Watch fashion reviews of the Oscars, and one of the biggest compliment an actress can receive is "she looks like Grace Kelly" or "she is the modern Grace Kelly". So I'd like to think that Prince Albert visiting Hollywood is like the Spanish Prince visiting Greece as Queen Sofia was a Greek princess.

At the Cannes Film Festival, there is a different atmosphere whenever Brangelina and the other Hollywood A-Listers attend. And Monaco is a principality that needs that kind of glamour and attention. Prince Albert and Princess Charlene are simply doing their job.

The only complaint I have regarding their appearance is that Charlene did not step it up. Yes, it is a pretty dress, but it is appropriate if she were just another guest. A Best Actress nominee will not even consider that. She needed something more sensational to make her and their appearance memorable.

Yep, they went so unnoticed that Charlene's dress was featured as part of the few dresses that were admired on the night. ! ;)

Also, Re: Tyger's post (above) = Excellent !! :flowers:

In most of the lists I read she was not even mentioned, and I don´t mean her dress but her. I suppose a couple of French and German magazines who constantly publicize CW for some reason they only know, are going to mention it. The dress was not elegant, it was dull. The hair was a mess, her face looked weird. And they looked lost and out of place. How on earth are they going to publicize Monaco if nobody knows who they are, I don´t know. But I know something, If they have to come to Hollywood to beg some millionaires to go to Monaco, they are joke.

PA was there banging the drum for Monaco in the same that all Royals do for their countries when they go abroad. Is there something wrong with that? Whatever anyone says I'm sure they enjoyed this unique experience and that PA will have made some valuable connections with some big VIP's at those parties.

Princess Charlene's eyes! Prince Albert is smiling

:bang:For several years I have been supportive of Charlene. After her marriage to PA.:sad: Her sad eyes and stiffness cause her to appear like :sad:Puss in Boots coming to town, seeing all the town lights and the world in a different way. Her body language tells that she is:ermm: suffering from a complex. Nothing is wrong with the dress she is not sending off radiant vibes. One can smile with the eyes and "yet" be dignified.

I wince whenever I hear this - its a bug-aboo of mine because I was around for the above - and it was an eye-opener for me. Its like the reporting of a disaster - there is always a disjunct between the reportage and what its like 'on the ground'.

This has everything to do with PR machines - which Albert and Charlene clearly are not vested in - and William and Kate are, or they that 'handle' them are.

William and Kate were the 'hit of the night' because the event was arranged around them within the venue. What you're 'quoting' is the PR machine - the British press delivering the spin. The 'world press' are the tabloids. Their 'red carpet walk' was minimal and nothing on the order of the Oscars. Hollywood stars - contrary to what has been reported - were not 'breaking their necks' to meet the newlyweds. Dear heavens! There were people attending that event who had quite another opinion of 'the newlyweds' showing up at that venue - but you haven't heard that because it doesn't go along with the fiction being spun.

'Official' LA, too, (like the mayor) did everything they could to make them feel welcome - because that's what they do - but it was far from a 'triumphal progression'. A handful of 'regular folk' turned out to 'greet' them - even though the nightly news the night before asked Angelinos to show up. Those interviewed, who happened to be around the locales the royals were at, indicated that 'royalty wasn't their thing'. Ooops!

As I say - it was an eye-opener watching that whole thing. The presentation - the furiously working PR - and the reality - were quite different. Hearing it always referred to as 'a success' is wince-able. I think some people mistake 'politeness' extended - people saying how great it was in an interview in Britain, say - for actual success. The Americans are being polite! (BTW its not that it was a non-success, either - it was great for those who like that sort of thing, of course it was {I am one but I am rather fond of accuracy, too} - but it was most definitely not the heady hysteria that seems to be the fiction peddled).

Same for Albert and Charlene - you may be under the impression you indicate - but Albert has been a presence here in Hollywood for many years. He has far and away more 'right' to be here than William - whose position is merely 'honorary', no personal work to back it up, just position of birth. Albert (and Charlene) are sought after here in the best possible of ways regardless of what you may have been led to believe by spin.

Rant over.

Right on! All sorts of folks are attending the Oscars - for very good reasons. Albert and Charlene got press is the difference.

Oh dear, jealousy is a very ugly emotion, as this post demonstrates!

Several of the press reports I saw of Albert and Charlene's visit were based on whether a few of the actors could be convinced to 'save Charlene' by bustling her into a limo to safety before Albert noticed. Or whether Charlene's physical 'enhancements' would hide her unhappiness at being stuck with this guy.

I'm sorry, but when that's the tone of the press reporting you know your visit hasn't exactly been a success.

:previous:You speak of the press as though what they write is a true indication of the "tone" of PA's & PC's attendance at the Academy Awards.

Here is a post you made in the D&D of Cambridge's Current Events Thread 2, Post #455, regarding the press reporting of their leading a normal life.

I am NOT addressing the subject of whether they did or did not say they are going to lead a normal life. My point is that you seem to be a bit wobbly on when the press is reporting accurately or not.

"So there were 'articles' stating that they will lead a normal life. We all know that such articles are worth less than the paper they're written on. The fact is, William and Kate have never stated that they lead a 'normal life'. I'm sure they're not so stupid as to believe that such a thing is possible for them. They certainly try to live as quietly as they can when in Anglesey, and succeed most of the time, but they've never claimed to be normal. Accusing them of saying so is unfair and untrue."

I rest my case.

I think we can agree that the press is given to exaggeration and will write whatever whatever they feel will make a good story. Let's move on.

Time to close this thread - thanks for all your contributions!
The new thread can be found here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom