General News & Information about Albert, Charlene & Family 2: March 2012 - May 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe she can carry an informal conversation in French, but does not feel confident to conduct a formal interview in the language, because she knows she will be torn to pieces, should she make any errors?

Maybe she can carry an informal conversation in French, but does not feel confident to conduct a formal interview in the language, because she knows she will be torn to pieces, should she make any errors?

I think it is worst she does not speak at all. Monaco citizens will forgive her mistakes and be glad that she is trying. But now they feel her "absent".

Princess Charlene can not even carry on a conversation, even informally. She speaks in English with rare, very scripted phrases in French. Her swimming lessons in France she spoke English and has a translator with her, a staff member at all events. I saw a video at the picnic where she told someone their food was delicious and Albert translated it. If she can not say that by now, she has no interest in fully embracing the language of the country she represents.

I am not defending her attitude, just saying that realistically she has had enough time. 8+ years is enough time to be able to speak it. No excuses for confidence. She makes no effort and there are many others who have done just as much along with becoming mothers.

Grace's interview, in part is here Grace Kelly - Part 7- French subtitles - YouTube . Not sure why it says subtitled in French, I understood her perfectly. The rest is online somewhere, too.

Last edited:
Thanks Booing, lovely interview of Pcs Grace, and bravo for her french. Judging from kids age the interview is around 1959-1960, so only 4 years after her wedding! And she manages to express herself! And Charlène after 8 years, nothing!

French is so much easier to understand when it's spoken with an American accent. LOL. PG did pretty good, but she was struggling a little bit. I read that Grace refused to do interviews in French after a nasty French interview. It doesn't matter how well you speak a foreign language there are always little nuances and slang that you don't get until you have lived in a country for years and years. Princess Caroline, who learned English from birth, made a mistake in the Barbara Walters interview. She said her mother "was full of it". This is correct , but the more commonly used slang means "your full of ****". Some people thought that she meant the slang version because her English is so good. They can't win whatever they do.

I cannot understand why Charlene hasn't decided to get to grips with French - after all it is such a beautiful language and it would be a tremendous plus point for her. I have been trying to learn French for quite a few years and enjoy the challenge of trying to speak and understand it whenever I go there. Given all the resources that Charlene can access, sadly I can only think that a lack of interest can be the reason, particularly as being an ex-Olympian, she must possess tremendous self discipline/determination if she puts her mind to a task. I wonder if Albert has tried to put pressure on her to learn and perhaps this has had the reverse effect!

Massively disappointed here. Loved their wedding, loved her and was so excited about a new Prince or Princess being born. IMO I don't think at all it's going to happen now. Makes me not interested in Monaco.

No excuse for not speaking the language of the country you live in, let alone you are the monarch of.

I cannot understand why Charlene hasn't decided to get to grips with French - after all it is such a beautiful language and it would be a tremendous plus point for her. I have been trying to learn French for quite a few years and enjoy the challenge of trying to speak and understand it whenever I go there. Given all the resources that Charlene can access, sadly I can only think that a lack of interest can be the reason, particularly as being an ex-Olympian, she must possess tremendous self discipline/determination if she puts her mind to a task. I wonder if Albert has tried to put pressure on her to learn and perhaps this has had the reverse effect!

It's one of the most beautiful languages in the world. I don't speak it but I taught myself to read it fluently, so that I could subscribe to and understand periodicals like Paris Match and Point de Vue and certain French language books I was interested in. I have never set foot in France or a French speaking country.

Unless Charlene has some sort of learning disability it is unreasonable that she is not perfectly fluent after eight years. She is stylish, elegant, glamorous...seems to connect graciously with people. But it's the one glaring thing she is missing as Sovereign Consort and I am sorry, but it's a very glaring omission, imo.:ermm:

I partly blame her husband. Albert should have insisted before he agreed to marry her that she make it a priority to speak the language of her new country.

I agree. It's the one thing that I feel PC could have made more effort with. I suspect her comprehension of French is fairly decent, but by now she should be able to speak fluently too. This could increasingly prove to be a hurdle, especially once they start a family. And I predict 2014 will see a long-anticipated announcement in this regard -- just like I correctly predicted their engagement and wedding... ;)

This debate is v one sided so I'm going to throw in something for the other side (so to speak). I studied French for 6 years - I was rubbish. I got good grades in everything else but languages is missing in my brain cell. I tried German - but RUBBISH.

My husband and I have been travelling to France a lot in recent years - 40 years on from school. It's coming back - I understand what I am being told; I can read it but I have no confidence in speaking it.

I've had a successful business life; academically I have a Distinction at Masters level so I'm not stupid. But languages is a half open door for me. I really wish it wasn't but I just can't walk through.

So please don't be so harsh. For some it is very difficult.

I agree. It's the one thing that I feel PC could have made more effort with. I suspect her comprehension of French is fairly decent, but by now she should be able to speak fluently too. This could increasingly prove to be a hurdle, especially once they start a family. And I predict 2014 will see a long-anticipated announcement in this regard -- just like I correctly predicted their engagement and wedding... ;)

She seemed to understand it perfectly well during her engagement interviews back in 2010. That's why I cannot fathom why she has not been able to make the leap to speaking in the almost 4 years since then.

If she had not spent almost 8 years as a permanent resident of a French speaking country with access to immersion and the best tutors money could buy, I'd understand.

Again, unless there is some type of learning problem, Charlene's situation makes no sense.

I am curious, do you hint to have insider information? Some of your posts suggest that you know Charlene. As far as pregnancy, we do not discuss rumors here, no? I would have made the same suggestion for the last three years. I am quite sure Andrea and Caroline hope for it as well.

Back to the interview - As you said years ago, during the engagement, learning French is imperative for her.

Learning a language from a foreign country is difficult. There is limited ability to use it outside the classroom and number of years of study may not result in fluency. Charlene is living 24/7 surrounded by the language. There is no excuse for her not being totally fluent all these years later. She can still not say "that was delicious". As she is quite vocal about being in control and being stubborn to hold her ground, the fault is hers alone. Having someone translate her interview, not hearing her own words will result in things being lost in the translation. A pity.

No, I don't have insider information, and I don't know her either. I did meet her once when she was in the prime of her swimming career, which is probably why I find it interesting to keep track of what she's up to. Okay, so speculation is off topic. Forgive me.

With regard to her apparent lack of effort to master French, I concur with you all. It's a big negative.

She could very easily be surrounded by those who speak English, like her husband. I only learned to speak french when I had to work with people in france who could not speak English. I had an English speaking husband and friends, probably like charlene. also, so many speak English in monaco she may not think it is imperative.

No, I don't have insider information, and I don't know her either. I did meet her once when she was in the prime of her swimming career, which is probably why I find it interesting to keep track of what she's up to. Okay, so speculation is off topic. Forgive me.

With regard to her apparent lack of effort to master French, I concur with you all. It's a big negative.

I'm being picky but I don't agree with the general view.

I know what you mean, cepe... Some people just don't have an aptitude for learning foreign languages. I've been studying Mandarin for five years and am far from fluent -- but then again, I do speak three other languages. In Princess Charlene's case, however, she has the best resources available to her. And the discipline of a successful athlete. That's why I think she should have been fluent in French by now.

Personally, the lack of fluency would not be quite so glaring if she would at least occasionally make an effort. A perfect example is the picnic incident where she allegedly could not manage the simple phrase "c'etait delicieux" to express her appreciation of the food.

Seriously? That is first year elementary French. It's that sort of thing that I find astonishing.:ohmy:

Personally, the lack of fluency would not be quite so glaring if she would at least occasionally make an effort. A perfect example is the picnic incident where she allegedly could not manage the simple phrase "c'etait delicieux" to express her appreciation of the food.

Seriously? That is first year elementary French. It's that sort of thing that I find astonishing.:ohmy:

And I dont think one an alleged incident is the basis of convincing those who wouldn't agree. Not a problem of course for those already convinced.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care to "convince" anyone cepe, nor do I need to. It's my opinion and my contribution the ongoing discussion.

For the record, there has been more than one incident where Charlene did not make an effort to attempt even basic French.

Last edited:
Being a disciplined individual with the best resources doesn't mean that she's personally skilled at learning languages. She may have tried very hard and may have the ability to read, write, and even understand spoken French, but could find herself unable to speak it in a way, and with an accent, that she feels is understandable. What's more is given as fluency in English is something that is apparently common within Monaco, and within the royal family, she may not have nearly as much opportunity to immerse herself in French as we are assuming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care to "convince" anyone cepe, nor do I need to. It's my opinion and my contribution the ongoing discussion.

For the record, there has been more than one incident where Charlene did not make an effort to attempt even basic French.

I didnt ask you to convince me but if would have helped others (one reason for the forum, I think) if you could have given a concrete example. The fact that you "dont care" speaks for itself.

She doesn't sing the National Anthem on National Day, ever. (see youtube for your " concrete examples")Not one word. With the exception of her engagement and wedding she has rarely been recorded uttering a word of the official language of the country she represents on the world stage.

If you have evidence to the contrary, I'd be fascinated to hear it..

Last edited:
She doesn't sing the National Anthem on National Day, ever. (see youtube for your " concrete examples")Not one word. With the exception of her engagement and wedding she has rarely been recorded uttering a word of the official language of the country she represents on the world stage.

If you have evidence to the contrary, I'd be fascinated to hear it..

Im not trying to prove anything. I put up an alternative view in post #794. I stand by it. I envy all you posters who have obviously have no problem in being fluent in a foreign language. As I said, I can't get there and I've been trying for a long time.

I can't speak any language fluently except English. But I would hope I could if I had access to Charlene's resources and her time.

All I am saying is that she could at least appear to make an effort. She does not, and I find it disappointing.

It isnt always about resources. For Charlene it may be more about confidence. But the reality is we dont really know. I'm just trying to say that there may be another answer than just she isn't either trying or worried about it.

The fact of the matter is that Charlene does not speak French after spending 8 years in Monaco. The reason is of little consequence to me, regardless from which angle I look at it.

Im not trying to prove anything. I put up an alternative view in post #794. I stand by it. I envy all you posters who have obviously have no problem in being fluent in a foreign language. As I said, I can't get there and I've been trying for a long time.
To me trying to learn to speak French is like finding out you are tone deaf! With the best will in the world I mangle it. I know it is subtle and has nuances but I'm afraid it's all french (or german or russian or spanish or italian . . .) to me. I dinna ken!

I can't speak any language fluently except English. But I would hope I could if I had access to Charlene's resources and her time.

All I am saying is that she could at least appear to make an effort. She does not, and I find it disappointing.
Resources may not be her problem and, to be honest, you don't know how much effort she has or has not made.

It isnt always about resources. For Charlene it may be more about confidence. But the reality is we dont really know. I'm just trying to say that there may be another answer than just she isn't either trying or worried about it.
Ah confidence! Of all languages to mangle French is one you don't! The French are language snobs and heckle the unfortunate who mispronounces or misses the nuances. PG was perfectly aware of that and took measures to ensure she gave no opportunity for people the snipe and pick at her language skills until such time as she was comfortable.

The fact of the matter is that Charlene does not speak French after spending 8 years in Monaco. The reason is of little consequence to me, regardless from which angle I look at it.
Actually that is not a fact. What is a fact is that she does not speak publicly in French. What she does or does not speak in private is unknown and, quite frankly, none of our business.

MARG, frankly very little of what we discuss about these people is any of our business.

But some public message boards exist to discuss famous people, and to exchange our opinions/ideas about various apects of their lives and this is one of them.

I don't see anything unfair in discussing the fact that the Princess of Monaco cannot speak French after 8 years of continuous residency in Monaco.

If it was Mary in Denmark not speaking Danish or Maxima in the Netherlands not speaking Dutch, it would be no less an issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom