General News & Information about Albert, Charlene & Family 2: March 2012 - May 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking and comprehension aptitiudes could be quite different. From one side, one could say she barely did some efforts, but she hadn't lived for 8 years only in France or another French speaking country.
Maybe her skills are not quite strong, she has a good listening comprehension of French, but she is afraid of speaking French, especially publicly. She probably doesn't have enough confidence in her linguistic abilities.

I thing we should not try to find hidden reasons.
She is living for 8 years in full immersion of french, she has money to afford the best teachers and she has TIME. Before her engagement/marriage she had no official obligations, so pleinty of time every day to learn, but the result is a catastrophy.
She is no mentally retarded, so i found only ond reason for her failing what Maxima, Mary or Marie have fully succeeded: she does not care!
The question of learning ability interfere for people who try to learn a language dealing to combine time, money and family life, but not for the Princess of Monaco disposing ALL the necessary ressources for this.

I thing we should not try to find hidden reasons.
She is living for 8 years in full immersion of french, she has money to afford the best teachers and she has TIME. Before her engagement/marriage she had no official obligations, so pleinty of time every day to learn, but the result is a catastrophy.
She is no mentally retarded, so i found only ond reason for her failing what Maxima, Mary or Marie have fully succeeded: she does not care!
The question of learning ability interfere for people who try to learn a language dealing to combine time, money and family life, but not for the Princess of Monaco disposing ALL the necessary ressources for this.

I think everyone should relax. The Monegasque people don't seen to mind, and that's really all that matters. They're the only people who she really owes anything in her role as HSH Princess. If it were a problem, they would make enough noise to get their way--as they did when Princess Grace wanted to go back to acting.

I completely understand Princess Charlene's inability to speak fluent french. I lived for10+ years in Wales, like Monaco it has a national language - Welsh - but the vast majority of people, well pretty much everyone, speak English. I had to learn Welsh at school but I can say in 10years I never learnt enough to hold a conversation. I'm not proud of it and looking back I wish I'd tried more, but I just couldnt get my headaround the language and, to be honest, I never had to. There was never one single sitatuion where I would ever have had to speak Welsh and those around me, friends and family, where in exactly the same situation.
I'm sure for Charlene its the same, she is most likely not emerged in the language if her friends and family do not speak French all of the time. I would imagine to be honest the most places in Monaco speak English (Shops, resturants etc) so she is not completely surrounded in the language. From myexpereince I can say unless you have not choice but to use a new language, e.g. French, you fall back on that which you already know just by instinct.
That being said I would be surprised and a little dissapointed, if Charlene wasn't using some simple phrases in French. I use to (and still can) say please, thank you, hello, how are you, sorry my welsh is awful, etc in Welsh and would use these when I could. I found people appreciated the fact I'd try to use the language even just a little. But that beingsaid I don't follow Charlene's activities to know for sure that she does not.

Tommy100, you would like to hear chaelene saying usual phrases in french
it is what she did in this video I posted one comment ahead

Vido Zone interdite : Intimit et pouvoir : un an dans la vie du Prince Albert de Monaco ! - M6

I poste again this video because I think that anybody did not see and does not want to see she is saying some simple phrases in french. perhaps also many people do not understand the french language.

I learnt french at school 40 years ago, I use it when I travel in England, in Usa or in a land where english is spoken. I understand texts in english but I do not speak english fluently, I have many difficult to understand when a person is spoken english to me and I have always many difficult to speak english very well.Happily, I am not a princess because I would be always criticed because I would be unable to ask in english in an interview. Princess charlene said that it is a strungle for her to learn french and it will take her a lot of time before she will spoke fluently french. Charlene speaks africaner ( her former teacher said she did not speak africaner when she arrived in South Africa, she lived before in Zimbabwe, she learnt after africaner and she learnt also the language of deafs to understand her former training partner who was deaf. I believe that she will get a lot of critics before she speaks french fluently.

Tommy100, you would like to hear chaelene saying usual phrases in french
it is what she did in this video I posted one comment ahead

Vido Zone interdite : Intimit et pouvoir : un an dans la vie du Prince Albert de Monaco ! - M6

I poste again this video because I think that anybody did not see and does not want to see she is saying some simple phrases in french. perhaps also many people do not understand the french language.

too funny - i really do apppreciate your sense of humour!

i personally wouldn't call charlene's attempts 'speak french'* - it's more stuttering a few words, a 4 word sentence at best. if this is the result of 8 years+ of living in france, we shall be lucky to listen to a normal conversation in about 165 years from now. i'll set a reminder on my PC :lol:

* i do understand and speak french, it was part of my 'baccalaureat' at a multilingual high school / college. unlike some less lucky other members, i have no problem whatsoever of learning and using foreign languages. i can tell you from my own expierence watching classmates - a huge part is practice practice practice and more practice!

Last edited:
EDOEP, thank you and you are lucky to understand and speak french . But you studied languages in a special languages section and I think you are very intelligent and you have very good capacities to learn languages. i think many other persons havenot your capacities to learn the languages as Charlene or other persons but other persons could have other capacities you do not have. we speak of human people and not of machines ,I think that charlene can say simple phrases to speak to people of Monaco when she attends an event in Monaco. And for the people of monaco it is enough, they understand their princess as these handicaped persons who were happy to speak with her. it is the matter for them no need to do very big phrases.
many persons have difficultis to answer in an interview in their native language. politic people have lessons to speak in public , i think it must be very difficult for a person who is foreighn and is asked to speak in a foreign language. it is perhaps easy for some persons but it is difficult for other persons, and they answer in their native language to say important things of their life.
Prince Albert, princess charlene answer to many interviews, other princesses, like princess Mary, princess letizia, queen maxima or queen mathilde did not give many intervews to the medias. prince Albert and princess charlene gave many interviews before their wedding and I think it is the third interviews she gave to the medias, 2 to the french TV and one to the monaco Radio. 3 in two years of wedding, no other princesses give so many interviews in so litttle times even the princesses as Mett Marit, Letizia and Duchess of cambridge. I will not speak of their speeches because they only read the notes the palace do for them.
And I will ask to many persons here do you understand what is saying in the article of monaco about the future interview of princess charlene whith Cytil Viguier ? . Could you translate all the article?

Charlene said in an interview that she always speaks French to palace staff so that she can practice. It appears to me that when she is with local people eg. the Monaco picnic she tries to speak French . She is more self conscious when on tv and talking to foreign press so she speaks English. That makes sense to me. The press have a nasty habit of playing gotcha. The 2 times shown above where she is speaking French was photographed by Monaco tv.

Even Charlotte, who learned Italian at birth from her father and Italian Casiraghis, said she is shy in Italian.

Thanks for the video clips, melina premiere.:)

For the record I think Charlene is beautiful and elegant, the most glamorous and well dressed princess in Europe by far. Children seem to adore her, and children are some of the best judges so that is saying a lot.

For the most part she has confounded her critics and become a very good princess for Monaco.

Last edited:
EDOEP, thank you and you are lucky to understand and speak french . But you studied languages in a special languages section and I think you are very intelligent and you have very good capacities to learn languages. i think many other persons havenot your capacities to learn the languages as Charlene or other persons but other persons could have other capacities you do not have. we speak of human people and not of machines ,I think that charlene can say simple phrases to speak to people of Monaco when she attends an event in Monaco. And for the people of monaco it is enough, they understand their princess as these handicaped persons who were happy to speak with her. it is the matter for them no need to do very big phrases.
many persons have difficultis to answer in an interview in their native language. politic people have lessons to speak in public , i think it must be very difficult for a person who is foreighn and is asked to speak in a foreign language. it is perhaps easy for some persons but it is difficult for other persons, and they answer in their native language to say important things of their life.
Prince Albert, princess charlene answer to many interviews, other princesses, like princess Mary, princess letizia, queen maxima or queen mathilde did not give many intervews to the medias. prince Albert and princess charlene gave many interviews before their wedding and I think it is the third interviews she gave to the medias, 2 to the french TV and one to the monaco Radio. 3 in two years of wedding, no other princesses give so many interviews in so litttle times even the princesses as Mett Marit, Letizia and Duchess of cambridge. I will not speak of their speeches because they only read the notes the palace do for them.
And I will ask to many persons here do you understand what is saying in the article of monaco about the future interview of princess charlene whith Cytil Viguier ? . Could you translate all the article?

melina premiere,

nothing special in my education, really just average higher education.

language focus in german highschools / colleges is one if several possible choices. alternatives are math/scientific oriented courses mainly, classic sciences (ancient languages), music (including several instruments) etc. etc etc. - mine happened to be 'modern languages' (including 5 years of latin) because i seem to have some talent for it.

back on topic:

what is highly disappointing about charlene is her obvious lack of interest. i am convinced the monegasques would forgive her mistakes (everybody makes them!) if only she showed more enthusiam - after all, she's the first lady and she signed that 'contract' for the rest of her life: at least this is what we all are supposed to believe. lacking language abilities and lacking heirs in the meantime more and more feed the initial rumours that it was a marriage for PR reasons mainly. or maybe the princes is following one really bad SLRP? (StrategicLongRangePlanning).

how can she be an authentic representative of the principlity without being able to speak its language at least to some extent? it's beyond me.

as for the above mentioned interview, i briefly flicked through a summary i read somewhere and found it highly irritating that charlene still was referring to south africa as 'we' and 'us' .... with all due respect to her personal feelings about her roots - now she is the princess of monaco, not the princess of south africa, after all!

it was about time she chose her words more carefully, after 2.5 years she's not a newbie to the game any more.

as for the translation of mr viguer's interview: i haven't read it yet in toto.

one last note about the monegasques interviews: you may be right about the number of interviews PA and PC granted the media. i do firmly believe however that the others mentioned (maxima, mary) made far wiser decisions NOT giving that many. the stuttering and hand-wringing of both of them (albert as bad as charlene) in some of them were so awful they make one cringe. second-hand-embarrassment setting in instantly.

This article in Monaco Matin writtes about the admiration of charlene for Nelson mandela because at this moment , Nelson mandela died some days ago. also the newspaper only spoke about the part of this interview when Cyril viguier asked to charlene what was the influence of Nelson Mandela on the her life. it is not her who spoke about her life in south Africa but the reporter who asked her to say what were her feelings about Nelson mandela. it was not her fault. it is only a small part of the interview. in this interview The reporter ASKED HER and it is not her who spoke, the reporter asked her what is her life in monaco and what is her work in MONACO and not in South Africa.
There were many other interviews where Charlene was at ease like on CNN or in many other channels. there was one interview where Albert and Charlene were not easy. one not several . some days after they gave an interview to Piers Morgan an interview just before the olimpic games and they were at ease. but charlene was also at ease during the documentary on M6, there was the interview on monaco radio where she was very at ease and confortable and there will this interview on fr3 we will watch on december 27th

Charlene said in an interview that she always speaks French to palace staff so that she can practice.

Even Charlotte, who learned Italian at birth from her father and Italian Casiraghis, said she is shy in Italian.

Charlotte lost her father when she was 4! After this, she might have taken italian courses, as a foreign language. Furthermore she never lived in Italy.
Pierre spent some years in Milan, and he is fluent.

As for Charlene, we do not really know, we judge from her refusal to communicate in french, but if she kmows and she is just shy, this is a pitty.

This article in Monaco Matin writtes about the admiration of charlene for Nelson mandela because at this moment , Nelson mandela died some days ago. also the newspaper only spoke about the part of this interview when Cyril viguier asked to charlene what was the influence of Nelson Mandela on the her life. it is not her who spoke about her life in south Africa but the reporter who asked her to say what were her feelings about Nelson mandela. it was not her fault. it is only a small part of the interview. in this interview The reporter ASKED HER and it is not her who spoke, the reporter asked her what is her life in monaco and what is her work in MONACO and not in South Africa.
There were many other interviews where Charlene was at ease like on CNN or in many other channels. there was one interview where Albert and Charlene were not easy. one not several . some days after they gave an interview to Piers Morgan an interview just before the olimpic games and they were at ease. but charlene was also at ease during the documentary on M6, there was the interview on monaco radio where she was very at ease and confortable and there will this interview on fr3 we will watch on december 27th

i have no problem of her speaking about her south african roots - her choice of vocabulary is what baffles me, that's all.

i've seen at least 3 interviews that were pure embarrasment - after that, i simply stopped watching and shall most likely continue to do so. in every interview she's talking about having children ..... yet no sign, and by january, she'll turn 36 (or is it 37?). how long does she intend to wait? by now, she should have adjusted to her new role, shouldn't she?

after all, she's rather irrelevant amongst the crowd of crown princesses / consorts until she finally fulfils her main and most noble duty: produce an heir (and a spare). 'till then: in my book, second league.

I tried to open this M6 video but link opens sound only, not image, so i can't understand who is speaking.
Any ideas?

Charlotte lost her father when she was 4! After this, she might have taken italian courses, as a foreign language. Furthermore she never lived in Italy.
Pierre spent some years in Milan, and he is fluent.

As for Charlene, we do not really know, we judge from her refusal to communicate in french, but if she kmows and she is just shy, this is a pitty.
reg. charlotte: i would assume her paternal grandparents and other relatives from her dad's side talked in italian to her. plus i remember to have seen princess caroline - who is rather fluent in italian as well, though with a french accent - stating in an interview that she spoke to her 3 older children partly italian as well because she wanted them to be aware of their half-italian roots.

reg. charlotte: i would assume her paternal grandparents and other relatives from her dad's side talked in italian to her. plus i remember to have seen princess caroline - who is rather fluent in italian as well, though with a french accent - stating in an interview that she spoke to her 3 older children partly italian as well because she wanted them to be aware of their half-italian roots.

Ok, but all this does not make the "full immersion" which has Pcs Charlène.

Well... we had huge discussions here on her reasons for not wearing jewelry and now she does wear it
so maybe it's just a matter of time for her to use more french

I can't speak for the people of Monaco but in the Netherlands it was a huge plus that the 'foreign' spouses learned to speak dutch quite well (not only Maxima, but also Claus and Bernhard before her)...

i have no problem of her speaking about her south african roots - her choice of vocabulary is what baffles me, that's all.

i've seen at least 3 interviews that were pure embarrasment - after that, i simply stopped watching and shall most likely continue to do so. in every interview she's talking about having children ..... yet no sign, and by january, she'll turn 36 (or is it 37?). how long does she intend to wait? by now, she should have adjusted to her new role, shouldn't she?

after all, she's rather irrelevant amongst the crowd of crown princesses / consorts until she finally fulfils her main and most noble duty: produce an heir (and a spare). 'till then: in my book, second league.

Perhaps she is unable to have children and continues to try, and hasn't given up hope? We are hardly ever likely to receive a confirmation of that from the princess or the Palace. That would be too painful and too personal.:sad:

No woman, Royal or otherwise, is ever substandard or irrelevant because she is biologically unable to reproduce. Try telling the Belgians that Queen Fabiola was "second league" due to her infertility!

Last edited:
Moonmaiden 23, you are right about the fact Charlene does not give an heir, we don't know why perhaps she tries to have children and there is no success , it is not her fault and it is not knidly to say that . As a wife and a mother in law of a daughter in law who struggled during a long time to get a child , I could only to say you that is very painful for a woman .

Speaking the language of her new country is very important but it is not enough you must do significant gestures because the words would be hollow. to make gestures with many heart which show you want to integrat your new country is also very important also Charlène did this during all these past two years.

She worked a lot to boost the econmic program of monaco and she trys to help the governement in making to come the designers in monaco in may , Dior came in Monaco for a dashion show on the port Hercule. She wore the dress of the designer Pappa Who is monegash ar the one of the most important gala of monaco ' the red cross gala. She made know the designer JIKI in asking her to help her and the parents of the school fanB to dsign the uniform of the pupils.
She supported the installation of a starbucks in monaco. She asked to monaco channel to translate the news of some news in deaf languages for the deafs of Monaco as she knew a young girl who is a deaf and who lived in the home princess charlene She asked if it would possible that this young girl could translate this news in the deaf language. She visited all the schools of monaco at the beginning of the year of the school. She uses to visit the college and to talk with the pupils just before Christmas holidays. She wore the monegash dress at the pic nic . At each national fest, she is giving gifts to desavantaged persons and just before Christmas she is visiting with Albert the nursery of the red Cross to give toys to the children, she is also giving colis to the children of Home Princess charlene and giving gifts to the poor aged persons, she will visit this year the aged persons of hospital princess grace. for the next year, she asked automonile club to do race of elegance of cars on the place of palace to attrack the people to monaco and there will be a gala in the palace. and so ... i think she shows that she wants to be integrated in monaco as a princess of monaco.

At any rate, once Princess Charlene and HSH Prince Albert have a child, it will likely do a great deal in helping Charlene learn French. The child will no doubt know French from his surroundings and father, so that is another opportunity for her to learn.

The little while she has been married is only a small percentage of time that her husband will reign and she will live. She still has many many years to be the type of princess you'd like to see. As for now though, it appears she's the princess the Monegasque are okay with.

Perhaps she is unable to have children and continues to try, and hasn't given up hope? We are hardly ever likely to receive a confirmation of that from the princess or the Palace. That would be too painful and too personal.:sad:

No woman, Royal or otherwise, is ever substandard or irrelevant because she is biologically unable to reproduce. Try telling the Belgians that Queen Fabiola was "second league" due to her infertility!

despite living in the year 2014 (well, almost), for any wife of a sovereign (to be) her first and foremost duty is reproduction, like it or not. hilary mantle's statements were so true, these women are still more or less reduced to their hopefully fertile wombs. full stop. it is like that and any lady marrying into a royal / princely family should be aware of the fact. practically impossible NOT to be aware, isn't it?!

reg. the belgians and queen fabiola: different times (also in terms of medical treatments), completely different case. who said it was 'her fault'?! in the case of albert and c, albert - having plenty of offsprings out of wedlock - hardly can be the 'culprit', can he?

AFAIK queen fabiola - unlike charlene - did not grant interviews by the dozen to tabloids blabbing about 'children will come soon' / 'in time' etc. etc. etc. ... so either charlene can't have children and keeps lying about this fact. or she can have some, then .... where are they?? she's slowly getting too old for being a first-time mother.

She visited all the schools of monaco at the beginning of the year of the school.

that's great news indeed and a turn so completely unexpected! i have to sincerely apologize, i guess. in which one did she enroll to finally get her junior highschool diploma?

i think she shows that she wants to be integrated in monaco as a princess of monaco.

well, so far there's still a 20-mile-wide gap between her wish to be integrated and the actual state of her not-being-so, according to the majority of her subjects' opinion in that matter. getting some basic education though might be quite helpful :flowers:. even in monaco there do live 'normal citizens' having 'normal jobs' like shop clerks who certainly will highly appreciate a first lady sporting an educational level not lower than their own ones.

well done, charlene, very well done!

Last edited by a moderator:
EDOEP I post again the last photos of Albert and Charlene visiting children of nursery, desaventaged persons of CRM, old persons of the hospital Princess Grace. local news said that the old persons were very happy to see her and wanted to kiss her like the old woman on the photo. people of Monaco of Monaco loves because she is natural and very humble. She said in an intervrew we will watch on december 27th, that she wants to deserve a lot Monaco.

Charlene et Albert de Monaco : Rires et tendresse pour la distribution de Noël

EDOEP I post again the last photos of Albert and Charlene visiting .....

post again? what for???

i can click a link (if i want to) :) and cannot remember to have complained about disrupt ones.

had i intended to include any of these in my response i would have done so. however, making jokes about charlene being hugged by elderly ladies baring some uncanny resemblance (wrinkle-wise) would have been rather impolite - that's why i refrained from it.

despite living in the year 2014 (well, almost), for any wife of a sovereign (to be) her first and foremost duty is reproduction, like it or not. hilary mantle's statements were so true, these women are still more or less reduced to their hopefully fertile wombs. full stop. it is like that and any lady marrying into a royal / princely family should be aware of the fact. practically impossible NOT to be aware, isn't it?!

Sorry, but the singular and most important job of the wife of an heir in my opinion, and I'd say most peoples opinion, is not to pop out children like a baby factory. If a family happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't. Whilst it is expected, I doubt for instance if Charlene didn't or couldn't have children it would be an issue. There is already a succesion line in place that will be followed.

either charlene can't have children and keeps lying about this fact. or she can have some, then .... where are they?? she's slowly getting too old for being a first-time mother.

Is this any of your business really? A child hasn't come along yet, and will come along when Albert and Charlene are ready to have one. Whether Charlene can or can't have children is none of yours or the publics business, it's an extremely private matter. She's 35 not 70. :bang::bang:

Sorry, but the singular and most important job of the wife of an heir in my opinion, and I'd say most peoples opinion, is not to pop out children like a baby factory.

nobody wants her to pop out one offspring every year like an assembly line a car every 30 minutes - but since rulers are HEIRS to the thrones, not elected by the people following a monarch's decease ..... providing an heir IS her foremost duty.

Is this any of your business really? ... Whether Charlene can or can't have children is none of yours or the publics business, it's an extremely private matter. She's 35 not 70. :bang::bang:

wrong! :wave:

as long as madame keeps blabbing about it in interviews that can be seen / read by anybody, 'anybody' has a right to comment on that! 'anybody' on the other hand has no right to comment her abilities in 'radio astronomy' or 'pig breeding' because her serene highness has never blabbed about her respective abilities. we might reflect upon things, though, and utter some highly theoretical assumptions. of course only those of us who have no headache from banging their heads against walls for nothing :lol:

Last edited:
Whoa! EDOEP, why so aggressive in your approach? We know by now that P Albert and P Charlene do things at their own pace. Looking at recent pics of the couple they seem perfectly happy and not at all distressed by the fact that they haven't started a family yet. Why should you be so worried then? They will have their family when they are ready...

General News & Information about Prince Albert & Princess Charlene Part2: Mar...

Whoa! EDOEP, why so aggressive in your approach? We know by now that P Albert and P Charlene do things at their own pace. Looking at recent pics of the couple they seem perfectly happy and not at all distressed by the fact that they haven't started a family yet. Why should you be so worried then? They will have their family when they are ready...

I have a far better question...Why have you all fallen for this Troll's baiting? Anyone who posts in the manner it does, is nothing but someone w/a sad and sick agenda, so why are you all falling for it? Why hasn't anyone reported this to the Mods yet? It certainly has crossed many lines regarding posting rules about the Royals, so...!?!

Don't feed the thing and hopefully it'll go away. Regardless, I'm off to follow my own advice and notify the Mods.

Whoa! C4A, why so aggressive in your approach to my stating mere facts? facts that have been stated in innumerable tabloids since 2 years?

i personally share the opinion of many monegasques who believe that despite the princess' countless announcements they will remain childless and succession shall go to caroline resp. her offsprings. by far the better solution in my book, this fact will sooner or later 'state itself' by her highness's ticking biological clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom