Charlotte Casiraghi, Dimitri Rassam & Family Current Events 44: May 2019 - Jan. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why only these VIP-s were invited? Only 4-5 people?

I think very cleverly, because of the pandemic, the use of empty chairs took the place of what would have been a packed audience of attendees, with exception, Brand Ambassador Charlotte Casiraghi and celebrity friends of the House of Chanel Lily-Rose Depp, Vanessa Paradis, Penélope Cruz and Marion Cotillard.

Background on Chanel's Spring/Summer 2021 Haute Couture collection:

Chanel's new creative director Virginie Viard having taken the helm after the death of Karl Lagerfeld in 2019 attempted to capture a family atmosphere with this latest collection/show.

"The show, which debuts a beautiful video directed by Dutch filmmaker and graphic designer Anton Corbijn, embodies the warmth of a traditional family gathering with the models descending the stairs of the legendary Grand Palais."

https://www.lofficielusa.com/fashio...summer-2021-family-virginie-viard#image-63012

Last edited:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKoskHrBWh0/

Literary Rendez -vous rue Cambon. To be found on Chanel.com from Friday, January 29.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKotLJKB_5M/

The House of CHANEL, Virginie Viard, Artistic Director of Fashion collections and Charlotte Casiraghi, ambassador and spokesperson for the House, have decided to create ‘Les Rendez-vous littéraires rue Cambon

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKo1ENnqLS3/

Could anyone translate, please? I can't understand her.

She is very down to Earth and I can relate to the way she reads books. Great voice.

I love the attitude she has toward her books...you are comforted even by the ones you have purchased and not read...because they offer a sense of anticipation and possibility...that is precisely how I feel as well.:smile

Her Chanel jacket is very elegant..Charlotte was born to wear Chanel!

Her voice becomes deeper and deeper...occasionally sounds like she is growling...:ohmy:

Last edited:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKoskHrBWh0/

Literary Rendez -vous rue Cambon. To be found on Chanel.com from Friday, January 29.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKotLJKB_5M/

The House of CHANEL, Virginie Viard, Artistic Director of Fashion collections and Charlotte Casiraghi, ambassador and spokesperson for the House, have decided to create ‘Les Rendez-vous littéraires rue Cambon

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKo1ENnqLS3/

I love the first video where she talks about her reading habits but I can’t help but remember what someone wrote here once: sometimes it feels like she’s trying too hard to sound like an intellectual all the time. She probably is one though.

As for the second video, it also rings a bell about another post someone wrote in these forums a while back... Charlotte seems most like herself when she’s surrounded by her true friends, like Juliette and Eugenia, for instance. Around “occasion” friends like Marion and Vanessa she seems very shy and not quite in her element. This girl’s an enigma!

:previous: Agree, she is. I always thought of her as a nerd forced to be a princess. Someone born shy and introverted (nothing negative, I can relate :p), who's had to contend with being compared to two legendary and formidable women from the moment she was born because she was (un)lucky enough to be born beautiful. As an introvert, the thought stresses me lol. Without the pedigree and the face, I can easily imagine her as an academic. She has that whole vibe.

I quite liked the video, the most we've seen of her talk about something not horse related ;D. She's always looked prettiest when in motion, I LOVE her hair and she looks very animated and passionate when talking about her books. She gets quite immersed when reading. I was pleasantly surprised she loved Rilke's Letters to a Young Poet, that's a favorite. She loves her poets, she mentioned 5 poets out of the 10(?) books, and works that delve on the misery of the human condition. It's the reading list of an intense person. :D

There is such a contrast between the two videos.

While she may model, she doesn't seem as comfortable and natural in the Channel video.

But the book one you feel like she is just talking to you. You get the real sense she is passionate about reading and not simply spouting words. She sounds like a lot of book worms I know, myself included. I can picture piles of books every where. There is nothing fake and pretending to sound smart, just sharing a genuine love for the written word.

Her comments about re-reading a book later on and having such a different view and experience is so true.

I minored in lit during my early days as a history major when I was more about studying passions and less about practical work. May have gone to the 'pracitcal side' work wife but I still have mountains of books all over my place, both history and fiction. First time I actually feel like I can relate to her.

When it comes to books... it's like i'm seeing myself, my books, my house... Books, papers, magazines about everything, lying everywhere in the house, scribbled books, underlined books... She seems to be a smart girl, but as someone said before she tries too hard. It must be difficult to be " the daughter " of such an impressive woman as P. Caroline. She seems to constantly try to live up to her mother's life story and, at the same time, she seems never to find her one place and space in life... P. Caroline rebelled herself against her mother's expectations, Charlotte never had that courage ( maybe she never had the need to do so... ). It's quite the contrary, She seems always to be living in search of approval... Approval of her mother in her intellectual life, approval of her entourage participating in these shallow ( although nice, fun, relaxing, and absolutely harmless ) meetings with models and fashion designers... Will we ever see the real Charlotte? Portuguese magazine Lux published last week ( i think ) an interview with her ( with looooovelly photos ) where she says she likes the rush of the city life but she also loves the country life and she tries to remain at home as much as she can ( like many of us do, nothing strange here... ). But at 34 going on 35 she seems still so misplaced... :prettyplease: :prettyplease: :prettyplease:

Last edited:

Literary rendez -vous at rue Cambon [Literary rendezvous at rue Cambon] - CHANEL Events. Dedicated to the figure of author and psychoanalyst Lou Andreas-Salomé.

I think Charlotte looks fabulous with her hair back.

Literary rendez -vous at rue Cambon [Literary rendezvous at rue Cambon] - CHANEL Events. Dedicated to the figure of author and psychoanalyst Lou Andreas-Salomé.

I quite love this series... The selection is not quite in my radar or interest, so it's definitely something new.

From a superficial standpoint, I do enjoy seeing women in beautiful clothing talking about highbrow literature. It's totally aspirational.

I'm also quite glad that after years of these fashion houses forcing her into bohemian, whimsical, very loud clothing (Gucci), then rock and roll chic (YSL), she's now landed in good old Chanel that suit her to a T.

Last edited:
I quite love this series...

Good!

I actually was wondering about it: It is "Influencer Marketing" and the Chanel-Girls seemingly have not heard of ebooks yet...

I mean, what reasons are there to still buy "dust-catchers"? OK, sometimes you have to buy - really old and out of fashion books which are not re-published, but then used and hopefully cheap...

But in the most cases there are ebooks. And this is, why I was wondering: Because all the talk about analog, dusty books does not very much hide a certain form of technological incompetence... So, is the Chanel-Girl is very well-read, but technically illiterate? This is not a good advertisement claim!

:previous: I don't care for e-books. There is nothing that can replace sitting by the fire on a rainy day while actually reading from a BOOK in your hands and not some electronic gadget.

There is also the joy of browsing a good library or book store...a kind of romance to it.

Not knocking people who prefer e-,books but they are not for everyone.

Well, I just was trying to understand, what Charlotte is advertising here: Well Chanel - and the Chanel-Girls are all in the "best age" for a women... not too young, not too old. (I know, this is a age-ist remark and mansplaining and all... :flowers: )

But it is still "Influencer Marketing". And if one thinks of Influencers, one thinks of smartphones and Instagram, of rather digital things!

And then dusty books?

But I am not a women, so who cares! I was just trying to understand this campaign...

:previous: I don't care for e-books. There is nothing that can replace sitting by the fire on a rainy day while actually reading from a BOOK in your hands and not some electronic gadget.

There is also the joy of browsing a good library or book store...a kind of romance to it.

I used to knock ebooks because nothing really comes close to browsing in a bookstore alone and selecting one for your collection, however having an ereader totally upped my game when it comes to the amount I read. I take it with me wherever and whip it out quicker, thus I actually read more. I just like to rotate. So books I really think are gonna be special, are going to pyshical copies and everything else goes on the ereader. Saves space. ?

From a marketing interest, it's interesting to see Chanel without Karl. I feel like they're def going for a more high brow approach, based on pedigree and attainability, rather than approachability. From a marketing approach, it feels a bit predictable? Say for example the Vogue Paris Une Fille Un Style videos, who heavily focus on the stereotypical rich girl Paris style. A whole lot of vintage and designer stuff and *GASP* a tv in the house? Peasants. :lol:

Well, I just was trying to understand, what Charlotte is advertising here: Well Chanel - and the Chanel-Girls are all in the "best age" for a women... not too young, not too old. (I know, this is a age-ist remark and mansplaining and all... :flowers: )

But it is still "Influencer Marketing". And if one thinks of Influencers, one thinks of smartphones and Instagram, of rather digital things!

And then dusty books?

But I am not a women, so who cares! I was just trying to understand this campaign...

Ebooks sure have merits, but I doubt the creation of kindles, etc. are any better for the environment. There was a time, I thought ebooks were superior, but there's nothing like passing a book to a friend, a family member, even a stranger. Or have you ever passed by an antique bookstore, and on a whim, asked about first editions and you suddenly find yourself possessing a first edition written by a historical figure? Cost you an arm and a leg, but hey you have something the national library does not have. Have you ever received a slim paperback from someone special, you open it, and there's a delicious little note there? :D But I digress...

What does "influencer marketing" even mean? I suspect Charlotte came on board and likely had strong ideas about bringing her pet project in Monaco and merging it with Chanel, recalling the old days of intellectuals gathered around in "tertulias" or whatever the equivalent is in French. Chanel the brand finally reminds me of strong, relatable, thinking women... not the grandma tweed, or the "trying too hard" effort to appeal to young people with Kaia Gerber and Kristen Stewart.

Last edited:

So true!!! Reading is also a very physical thing,,, holding them in your hands, turning pages, underling sentences... Books can even give you a feeling of cozyness when the book you're reading lies on the table or when you have your favorite books around you on shelves they make you really feel at home...
? ? ?

I used to knock ebooks because nothing really comes close to browsing in a bookstore alone and selecting one for your collection, however having an ereader totally upped my game when it comes to the amount I read. I take it with me wherever and whip it out quicker, thus I actually read more. I just like to rotate. So books I really think are gonna be special, are going to pyshical copies and everything else goes on the ereader. Saves space. ?

From a marketing interest, it's interesting to see Chanel without Karl. I feel like they're def going for a more high brow approach, based on pedigree and attainability, rather than approachability. From a marketing approach, it feels a bit predictable? Say for example the Vogue Paris Une Fille Un Style videos, who heavily focus on the stereotypical rich girl Paris style. A whole lot of vintage and designer stuff and *GASP* a tv in the house? Peasants. :lol:
I have to say they will never forgo the approachability since it made them the most money but i will say adding Charlotte does add a whole different class to Chanel. She has royal pedigree.

To think she was intended to be the "IT" princess following her grandmother Grace Kelly but she was like nope!

When it comes to books... it's like i'm seeing myself, my books, my house... Books, papers, magazines about everything, lying everywhere in the house, scribbled books, underlined books... She seems to be a smart girl, but as someone said before she tries too hard. It must be difficult to be " the daughter " of such an impressive woman as P. Caroline. She seems to constantly try to live up to her mother's life story and, at the same time, she seems never to find her one place and space in life... P. Caroline rebelled herself against her mother's expectations, Charlotte never had that courage ( maybe she never had the need to do so... ). It's quite the contrary, She seems always to be living in search of approval... Approval of her mother in her intellectual life, approval of her entourage participating in these shallow ( although nice, fun, relaxing, and absolutely harmless ) meetings with models and fashion designers... Will we ever see the real Charlotte? Portuguese magazine Lux published last week ( i think ) an interview with her ( with looooovelly photos ) where she says she likes the rush of the city life but she also loves the country life and she tries to remain at home as much as she can ( like many of us do, nothing strange here... ). But at 34 going on 35 she seems still so misplaced... :prettyplease: :prettyplease: :prettyplease:

Can you blame her? Her whole life she was positioned to be that princess everyone would fawn and adore like they did with Princess Grace but because she didn’t live up to the public expectation she is been misguided.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did read from here that she's gone back to uni? Based on her interest, it would make most sense if she gets a PhD and start publishing articles in good journals and accessible publications. That would give her some street cred when she joins these kinds of public discussions, and she could be in an interesting position of being one of the very few... fashion, public intellectual? Fashionable public intellectual? Fashion intellectual? :D

Chanel under a new leadership with the passing of Karl Lagerfeld is finding it's path and I like it!

Charlotte, as Chanel Brand Ambassador, is merging her family's long history with Chanel and her own love of literature and intellectual interests such as philosophy. It was refreshing to hear Charlotte's reading of author and psychoanalyst Lou Andreas-Salomé at Chanel's first literary event at Rue Cambon. A melding of beauty with brains. :flowers:

I did read from here that she's gone back to uni? Based on her interest, it would make most sense if she gets a PhD and start publishing articles in good journals and accessible publications. That would give her some street cred when she joins these kinds of public discussions, and she could be in an interesting position of being one of the very few... fashion, public intellectual? Fashionable public intellectual? Fashion intellectual? :D

Fashion, public intellectual? Fashionable public intellectual? Fashion intellectual??

Charlotte looks so professional with her hair up and in a Chanel suit. I think it is all good for her and Chanel. She is doing what she likes and is making money as well as making money for Chanel. I think it is the fact she wants to make money and support herself, she has been doing that for a long time.

Wow, I cried reading & listening to these words by an author I've never read before. How moving. Had to look her up ~ fascinating woman ~ Lou Andreas-Salome!!! *insert heart*

Haven't checked the Royal Forums for about a month, typical timeframe for me, thus I did not know about this latest venture of Charlotte's. I mean I did know she signed with Chanel, but WOW, I love this! Lol, first time I never cared nor looked at Charlotte - it was all about the words she was reading ~ piercing.

Prompted me to look at the other video wherein Charlotte is talking about her own personal library of books. Finally, a glimpse into her soul, a rare view into this "riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma" (re: Winston Churchill talking about the Russians).

BRAVO, Charlotte, BRAVO *clapping*

:previous: Appointing Charlotte to to represent their label and having her conduct this literary "Salon" was a masterstroke by Chanel. It is highbrow without being precious, rarefied without seeming pretentious. It is an accessible concept and a fascinating one.

Karl Lagerfeld would be ECSTATIC.:flowers:

Last edited:
Wow, I cried reading & listening to these words by an author I've never read before. How moving. Had to look her up ~ fascinating woman ~ Lou Andreas-Salome!!! *insert heart*

Haven't checked the Royal Forums for about a month, typical timeframe for me, thus I did not know about this latest venture of Charlotte's. I mean I did know she signed with Chanel, but WOW, I love this! Lol, first time I never cared nor looked at Charlotte - it was all about the words she was reading ~ piercing.

Prompted me to look at the other video wherein Charlotte is talking about her own personal library of books. Finally, a glimpse into her soul, a rare view into this "riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma" (re: Winston Churchill talking about the Russians).

BRAVO, Charlotte, BRAVO *clapping*

Charlotte gave a superb reading of that stunning letter from Rilke, clearly transported by it. There are indications that she is someone who possibly could make a good teacher.

Late to this but loving it! Seems like Charlotte's found her bliss. Thanks God there was subtitles lol. I love reading and took philosophy for college so this is exactly what appeals to me. Thanks to Charlotte, I've put the books shes into on my wish list to buy!

Interesting someone mentioned her being a teacher because I could see that. But I think they'd have to be primary school level. I feel she'd get intimidated by older kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom