Prince Sverre Magnus Current Events: December 3, 2005 - January 24, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aftenposten *speculates* that the christening will be in Febuary or March 2006, among the candidates for godparents they list the Queen, Willem Alexander and Maxima, Edward and Sophie. Maybe someone from Mette-Marits family or Ari Behn. All specualtions, nothing is official on the Godparents yet. They say there are two alternatives for christening gown, either the dress Ingid Alexandra was christened in that King Olav used. or the dress made by Princess Ingeborg which all of King Olavs decendands except Ingid has used. The bishope of Oslo, Ole Christian Kvarme will preside the ceremony in the palace chappel
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1172189.ece
Big picture from dagbladet/kongehuset, one can see that someone has their hand behind his head under the blanket

Last edited:
i'm a bit disappointed as well that little prince sverre magnus will not be styled HRH...but im sure the king and the cp were both only thinking of the best for the little boy. im sure they have thought everything through and have exhausted all possible consequences of their decisions that we haven't even dreamed of. besides, titles are titles--it can be given or taken by whoever's in power, but his bloodline is his forever and one which can never be taken from him.

when do you think they will have a group picture like they did with
Ingrid????

Oh great they named him Sverre! I wanted him to be named that.

And, the HRH idea is best. The state has to pay for those members with the HRH right? Well, the only people the government should be paying for in adulthood is the King & Queen, the CP couple, and Ingrid-Alexandra, not a prince who works for them only a few days a year on official days.

I'm just wondering if Sverre Magnus will come on the balcony on may 17th, or isn't he a part of the Royal family? I know this may sound silly..:eek:

:confused: How is Mette-Marit taking all this? Her son being denied the HRH status barely as he arrives to the world. It must be a cruel for a mother to see that his son, child of a future King and descendant of Kings and Queens, won't have those three letters that, supercifial as they might look, do tie his life to his family history, that is also Europe's.

This mother already has a son with no title what so ever, and its not like Mette-Marit can be compared to the Queen Of Spain who herself is tied to the European history in as many ways as possible. It was the Kings decision and frankly I dont think he would have done it had his son disagreed strongly, it might even be them who suggested it to the King, we will most likely never know.

He is still a prince and everyone knows this. My question is does it make a difference, won't he still be treated like a royal regardless of HRH in front of his name:(?

Toledo said:
:confused: How is Mette-Marit taking all this? Her son being denied the HRH status barely as he arrives to the world. It must be a cruel for a mother to see that his son, child of a future King and descendant of Kings and Queens, won't have those three letters that, supercifial as they might look, do tie his life to his family history, that is also Europe's.

Given what I know about Mette-Marit, I think she couldn't care less.

Larzen said:
Aftenposten *speculates* that the christening will be in Febuary or March 2006, among the candidates for godparents they list the Queen, Willem Alexander and Maxima, Edward and Sophie. Maybe someone from Mette-Marits family or Ari Behn. All specualtions, nothing is official on the Godparents yet. They say there are two alternatives for christening gown, either the dress Ingid Alexandra was christened in that King Olav used. or the dress made by Princess Ingeborg which all of King Olavs decendands except Ingid has used. The bishope of Oslo, Ole Christian Kvarme will preside the ceremony in the palace chappel
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1172189.ece
Big picture from dagbladet/kongehuset, one can see that someone has their hand behind his head under the blanket

In that picture with the way his hands are....it looks like he is meditating. Very cute!

I think it is not very nice to limit the royal family to king, queen, cp couple and her first daughter, specially when the family has more members, cp has a sister, and a son, it sounds weird that they are not part of royal family when they are part of their family. It is true that now he can choose whatever he would like to do, but they also are denying part of his rights. It should be up to him to decide that, like Hakoon sister did.

Having a HRH is not a birth right for Royal children in Norway, its up to the King to decide. He still has his place in succession regardless of title. There has been NO statement so far saying he is not part of the Royal Family.

A picture of Mette-Marits Maternal Grandfather Sverre (1899-1966)

Here is two picture of Dr. Babil Stray-Pedersen, she is the OBGYN for Queen Sonja and Mette-Marit. (Her real name is Asbjørg) She was with Mette-Marit on the trip to UK and is very popular with both the Queen and Mette-MArit. she has been the Queens doctor for 20 years and is the first woman to be incharge of a royal birth (Ingrid Alexandra) in norway. She, hower, did not make such a good relationship with Märtha Louise. When she was pregnant with Maud Angelica Stray-Pedersen was also her Dr but after some months of the pregnancy Märtha decided to switch to Dr. Thomas Åbholm, the reason for the split is supposed to be that Stray Pedersen was agianst Märthas wishes for how and where the birth should take place. The last picture show Stray Pedersen paying a visit to Mette-Mait and Sverre on Sunday. She is driven by one of the Kings guards.

Pic and information from Scanpix/se og hør

Even though it is the King who decides all this HRH thing, my guess is that both CP Haakon and CP Mette-Marit's opinions have been heard in this. I think it was a mutual decision between the King and the CP couple.

And in my opinion, I think Prince Sverre Magnus will be glad when he grows up, because he now has so many chances that he might not have if he was styled HRH. With his connection with prominent people that he most likely will get, he can do a lot of good to this world.

Scenario: He decides to become a doctor, he could help Jens Stoltenberg and Queen Rania vaccinate all the children in the third world. He could do that as HRH too, but not as a doctor doing hands on work.

But then again the little one is less than a week old, so I won't give him career advice just yet :)

And frankly, Norwegians don't care so much about titles. We care about the persons; what they do and how they act.

KikkiB said:
And frankly, Norwegians don't care so much about titles. We care about the persons; what they do and how they act.

I absolutely agree with you, Kikki.

In addition, some of you suggested that he might get the HH, as you felt that the total lack of an apparent style was breaking with traditions.

Norway doesn't use the HH style, at all - wouldn't it be artificial and a break with traditions to create that for him, as well?

As Larzen, mentioned, no royal Norwegian child is born with a HRH style - it is all up to the King. Or Queen, as it may be.

I've only just found out that Mette-Marit has had a baby boy!
Congratualtions to the proud parents!

norwegianne said:
I absolutely agree with you, Kikki.

In addition, some of you suggested that he might get the HH, as you felt that the total lack of an apparent style was breaking with traditions.

Norway doesn't use the HH style, at all - wouldn't it be artificial and a break with traditions to create that for him, as well?

As Larzen, mentioned, no royal Norwegian child is born with a HRH style - it is all up to the King. Or Queen, as it may be.

I wonder why the king didn't give the hrh style to his grandchild if both his children had it. Does this show something didn't go well for his daughter ?

In one article it said the King would not give the Prince the style HRH at birth. Maybe when he is 18 or older and decides to devout his life to the nation rather than have a normal life the then King might offer him the stlye HRH or when Hakoon becomes King. Anyway, Norway doesnt seem like a nation who cares for titles or royalty. As long as the Royal Family does the nation good then its fine.

Princejonnhy25 said:
In one article it said the King would not give the Prince the style HRH at birth. Maybe when he is 18 or older and decides to devout his life to the nation rather than have a normal life the then King might offer him the stlye HRH or when Hakoon becomes King. Anyway, Norway doesnt seem like a nation who cares for titles or royalty. As long as the Royal Family does the nation good then its fine.
That would be nice I think. It would give Sverre a choice as to whether he wanted to live a normal life, or do royal duties.

I don't think I've congratulated yet but Gratulations !!!!

I knew it would be a boy! And once again, I missed the big news...

Has there been much written/spoken in the Norwegian media about the decision not to give Sverre Magnus the HRH title? What is the general sentiment?

I think to give a child the title of Prince/Princess and then deny them the HRH is pointless as people will still view them as being Royal anyway. It dosn't achieve anything.

I find Sverre is a beautiful name . But I don't like Magnus very much ...

Anita said:
I find Sverre is a beautiful name . But I don't like Magnus very much ...

I like the name Sverre too (a little hard to say for me though):p

I don't think it'll make a difference in royal duties in the future for Prince Sverre. Regardless of the fact he's not a HRH, he'd still be the son of a monarch and the sister of a future queen. No doubt, he'll be carrying out royal duties as part of the royal family.

Yah, its true Moonlight, but i didn't really understand what u mean by "the sister of the future Queen"?:confused: Sverre is a boy i guess so if i was not wrong?:rolleyes: .Yah its great now together Haakon and MM have a boy and a girl, its lovely!But no matter what he carries HRH or not, he is still adorable, and im sure he will be a great Prince in the future like his parents, grandparents, and the Norwegian Royals in the past as well!
Moonlightrhapsody said:
I don't think it'll make a difference in royal duties in the future for Prince Sverre. Regardless of the fact he's not a HRH, he'd still be the son of a monarch and the sister of a future queen. No doubt, he'll be carrying out royal duties as part of the royal family.

I think Norway might do away with the HM and HRH in the future all together or really really limit them. I remember reading an article on how the norwegians dont like the "highness" part of the RF. That they like the Royal Family to be treated as normal citizens, nothing special, being a prince/princess is just a job. I remember them being mad on how they were allowed to speed and the could get away with it. I dont know, The King made that decision for a reason and I respect his desicion. He is King and knows best for the RF.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Yah, its true Moonlight, but i didn't really understand what u mean by "the sister of the future Queen"?:confused:
Hehehe, I'm sorry! I meant brother to a future queen! LOL, thanks for pointing that out.

hes a real cutie alright dont understand the no HRH Thing though

Emily said:
Has there been much written/spoken in the Norwegian media about the decision not to give Sverre Magnus the HRH title? What is the general sentiment?

You are reading my mind! I was wondering on that too. Larzen, anything you have read about it that could shed some light? You know, at the begining I had this thought that maybe was a PR move to get some sympathy, but that would be too cruel. You don't play like that with a kid.

As a little historical foot note, our Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain was elevated to the status of Royal Highness by the British King so she could marry King Alfonso, since she was a 'minor' relative when compared to the main Battemberg branch. So I do hope that Haakon elevates Sverre Magnus to HRH, and if not his sister does when her time arrives to become queen helself. We might not be around to see that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom