King Harald And Queen Sonja News and Pictures: November 2003 - August 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How close is the Queen(and Haakon and Martha Louise) to her Majesty's side of the family? There's the niece that's dating one of the Luxembourg princes and such. Did the Queen introduce them, or did they meet a different way?

Polfoto 10-11-2003, OLSO: Queen Sonja, together with King Harald, got to see one of her favourite artists on stage: Dionne Warwick. After the concert, the King and the Queen thanked Dionne Warwick for the concert. The Queen has been following Dionne Warwicks music for a long time, but this is the first time she has seen her live on stage.

Attachments

• ny_1.jpg
    ny_1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 372
www.corbis.com - 6 June 1998 - Wedding of Princess Alexandra of Denmark (daughter of Princess Benedikte) to Jefferson von Pfeil.

www.corbis.com - November 19, 1997 - Golden Anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip.

www.corbis.com - November 19, 1997 - Wedding of Prince Joachim of Denmark to Alexandra Manley.

www.corbis.com - November 19, 1997 - Wedding of Prince Joachim of Denmark to Alexandra Manley.

Attachments

• NY_harald_sonja_493.jpg
    NY_harald_sonja_493.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 387
  • NY_harald_sonja_478.jpg
    NY_harald_sonja_478.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 514
  • 232.jpg
    232.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 400
  • 366.jpg
    366.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 462
Last edited by a moderator:
What's this mean (?) :

http://www.kongehuset.no/dt_kongehuset_all...d=5&gid=15&aid=

Man 1711
H.K.H. Kronprinsen er til stede ved markeringen av Hammerborg fritidsklubbs 50 års jubileum - Oslo

DD.MM. Kongen og Dronningen er til stede ved avduking av portretter i Kgl. Norsk Ambassades residens, London (?)

Man 2411
H.M. Kongen holder lunsj for styret i Kronprinsparets Humanitære Fond (? ... how come the King is involved with the Crown Prince Couple's Humanitarian Fund?)

dbgwp.yomiuri.co.jp - with Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko in Japan

dbgwp.yomiuri.co.jp - with Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko in Japan

sorry, it is a pics of a little bit bad quality...

Attachments

• akihito_01_j5.jpg
    akihito_01_j5.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 475
  • akihito_03_j5.jpg
    akihito_03_j5.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 586
Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 13th, 2003 - 11:30 pm
at a markingWhat's this mean (?) :

http://www.kongehuset.no/dt_kongehuset_all...d=5&gid=15&aid=

Man 1711
H.K.H. Kronprinsen er til stede ved markeringen av Hammerborg fritidsklubbs 50 års jubileum - Oslo

DD.MM. Kongen og Dronningen er til stede ved avduking av portretter i Kgl. Norsk Ambassades residens, London (?)

Man 2411
H.M. Kongen holder lunsj for styret i Kronprinsparets Humanitære Fond (? ... how come the King is involved with the Crown Prince Couple's Humanitarian Fund?)
Monday 17 November

HRH the Crown Prince will visit a youth club (Hammersborg fritidsklubb) to mark it's 50th anniversary

TM the King and Queen will attend the unveiling of their own portraits at the residence of the Norwegian Ambassador to London.

[Their Majesties left for a week long private visit to London yesterday - this is their only announced engagement. King Harald will unveil the portraits, painted by a well-known Norwegian artist called Håkon Gullvåg. There will also be a dinner at the residence, attended by a.o. Princess Alexandra and her husband Sir Angus Ogilvy, the ex King and Queen Constantine and Anne-Marie of Greece, the Directors of the National Portrait Gallery and Victoria & ALbert Museum and the artist himself.]

Monday 24 November

HM the King will give a lunch for members of the board of the Crown Prince Couple's Humanitarian Fund

[I don't know why it is the King giving this lunch, though I am quite certain the Crown Prince couple will also attend. I suppose it is a grander invitation to be invited to a lunch including his majesty. The royals wil probably thank the board members]

From the Scandinavian Royals Message board and www.dagbladet.no, back to work for Queen Sonja:

Attachments

• NY_sonja_501.jpg
    NY_sonja_501.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 686
www.dagbladet.com - PÅ JOBB: Kronprins Haakon og dronning Sonja, mottok forrige fredag Kirgisistans president Askar Akajev og hans kone Mairam på Slottet. Kronprinsen fungerer som regent mens kong Harald er sykmeldt.

Attachments

• NY_family_504.jpg
    NY_family_504.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 520
From the Scandinavian Royals Message board and www.vg.no:

Attachments

• NY_sonja_501a.jpg
    NY_sonja_501a.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 637
From the Scandinavian Royals Message board and Afterposten:

Attachments

• NY_sonja_501b.jpg
    NY_sonja_501b.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 543
www.colourpress.com

Oslo, Norway - Queen Sonja at the opening of the new building of the Oslo National College of the Arts - here with the ballet-students.

Attachments

• NY_sonja_501c.jpg
    NY_sonja_501c.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 564
  • NY_sonja_501d.jpg
    NY_sonja_501d.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 598
  • NY_sonja_501e.jpg
    NY_sonja_501e.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 615
  • NY_sonja_501f.jpg
    NY_sonja_501f.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 534
  • NY_sonja_501g.jpg
    NY_sonja_501g.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 522
  • NY_sonja_501h.jpg
    NY_sonja_501h.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 571
A penny for her thoughts at this time. Anyway, be strong, Sonja! We support you and Harald in these tough times.

Større oppslutning om monarkiet

Kongens sykdom og fokuset på kongefamilien har ført til større oppslutning om monarkiet i Norge, viser en ny måling.

Ifølge en undersøkelse TNS Gallup har foretatt for TV 2 går hele 66,5 prosent av de spurte inn for monarkiet som statsform. Bare 28 prosent av utvalget svarer at de ville valgt republikk dersom statsformen skulle avgjøres i dag. Et snaut flertall sier også nei til folkeavstemning om ny statsform innen 2014. 

Stortingets visepresident Inge Lønning mener tallene viser at nordmenn har et følelsesmessig forhold til kongehuset og kongefamilien. Han peker på at folk er mer opptatt av kongehuset nå som kong Harald er syk. 

-Nå er vi alle sammen veldig opptatt av kongens situasjon. Alle er veldig opptatt av at kongen skal komme til god helse igjen, sier Lønning til TV 2
www.vg.no

I have no info about artificial bladders...
but did anyone notice how similar Maxima's red engagement day dress w/brooch looks like Sonja's engagement day dress? I know it is royalty of a different country.....but I guess it shows how some beautiful classic clothes always work!

It really does, same color area, and the specifically placed broach... I wonder where Máxima got the idea from B) :p

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article166581.ece

RELEASED FROM THE HOSPITAL:
King Harald leaves directly for the X-mas celebration
Av Morten Ø. Karlsen , Jørgen Berge og Carin Pettersson 19.12.03 11:39

Norwegian King Harald was released from the hospital Friday morning and directly left for the royal county house Kongsseteren at Holmenkollen to celebrate the holidays with Queen Sonja.

A couple of newspapers posted this picture with their ariticle. Wonder if it is a recent one. :huh:
ANB Photo

Attachments

• harald_347051e_ANB.jpg
    harald_347051e_ANB.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 374
I read on the Scandinavian Royals message board that before the cancer diagnosis, the King and Queen had given an interview about Christmas traditions and their memories of their grandparents, and what it meant to them to be grandparents now.

Perhaps the picture is from this interview?

The King looks wonderful at any rate. Thank you for sharing it Mandy.

Originally posted by Mandy@Dec 21st, 2003 - 10:11 pm
A couple of newspapers posted this picture with their ariticle. Wonder if it is a recent one. :huh:
ANB Photo
I don't know if it's a recent one, but as he went directly to the Kongseter it has to be from before he was admitted to the hospital.

I'm very interested in King Harald And Queen Sonja.

I heard that Queen Sonja is the first woman who married into the royal family of Norway from a civilian. Therefore, there was large-opposed to their marriage from the royal family. How King Harald and Queen Sonja met for the first time?

Originally posted by jun5@Jan 7th, 2004 - 10:14 am
I'm very interested in King Harald And Queen Sonja.

I heard that Queen Sonja is the first woman who married into the royal family of Norway from a civilian. Therefore, there was large-opposed to their marriage from the royal family. How King Harald and Queen Sonja met for the first time?
From the official biographies I've read they were introduced by a mutal friend at a party Sonja hadn't even intended to attend, since her father had recently passed away.

Some time later Sonja came running to her mother: "Mum, Mum, I'm invited to the graduation ball [note: the military accademy has a graduation ball, every year. with the Crown Prince." There's a very famous photograph of Sonja, trying to be discreet, leaning over to check out the marks he'd gotten...

They knew each other for nine years before King Olav approved the marriage. A reason for the long wait was just that it had been a very long time since a civilian had married into the Norwegian Royal family. I'm not sure who the last one was, but seeing as we were in union with Denmark for 400 years and Sweden closer to 90... it was quite some time ago.

Of course some of the newspapers, and some people proclaimed it the end of the monarchy...

Oh, and for those interested in the Royal urinary problem: King Harald has checked out of the hospital, but will return for regular check-ups.

Originally posted by norwegianne@Jan 7th, 2004 - 10:43 am
Some time later Sonja came running to her mother: "Mum, Mum, I'm invited to the graduation ball [note: the military accademy has a graduation ball, every year. with the Crown Prince." There's a very famous photograph of Sonja, trying to be discreet, leaning over to check out the marks he'd gotten...
Thanks for the story and the update on King Harald's health, norwegianne. Glad to hear that the King is doing better.

Does anyone have a copy of this picture? I'd like to see how 'discreet' the Queen was being! ;)

I think I can find it and scan it in for you by tomorrow. I think it is a book I've got about her. It was the first public picture of them together, and the photographer didn't know that he'd struck gold when he took it.

Originally posted by norwegianne@Jan 7th, 2004 - 2:05 pm
I think I can find it and scan it in for you by tomorrow. I think it is a book I've got about her. It was the first public picture of them together, and the photographer didn't know that he'd struck gold when he took it.

Thank you, norwegianne. I will look forward to it. :flower:

The photographer 'striking gold' was the understatment of the yeah!

And how nerve-racking that this was their 'first date'! Dating a Crown Prince would be nerve-racking enough, but at such an event and such an occasion ... :blink:

Originally posted by norwegianne@Jan 7th, 2004 - 10:43 am
From the official biographies I've read they were introduced by a mutal friend at a party Sonja hadn't even intended to attend, since her father had recently passed away.

They knew each other for nine years before King Olav approved the marriage. A reason for the long wait was just that it had been a very long time since a civilian had married into the Norwegian Royal family. I'm not sure who the last one was, but seeing as we were in union with Denmark for 400 years and Sweden closer to 90... it was quite some time ago.

Of course some of the newspapers, and some people proclaimed it the end of the monarchy...

Oh, and for those interested in the Royal urinary problem: King Harald has checked out of the hospital, but will return for regular check-ups.
norwegianne, thank you for the good story about King Harald and Queen Sonya. :flower:

9 yars. It is too long !!! Their love story is as so romantic as Haakon and Mette-Marit. I think that it is great which they didn't give up their love. And I'm also glad to hear about King is good.

And I also would like to see that picture so much.

I was reading through Queen Sonja's biography last night, and need to correct something: their first meeting was during a holiday, when Prince Harald came and dragged in her scarf. Their real meeting, ie. when they got to know each other was when they were introduced by a mutal friend.

Oh, and scanned the picture.

It's taken from Arvid Møller's book: Dronning Sonja, 25 år som landets førstedame.

A larger version. Still from the same book.

Attachments

• sonja.jpg
    sonja.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 292
  • sonja.jpg
    sonja.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 314
Thak you for posting great picture, norwegianne. :flower:

I'm very happy for seeing that picture. Thank you so much !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom