Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 2 (May 2013 - May 2017)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nice pics of the family sightseeing in rome. they look like they are having a great time doing touristy things like normal people do, like visiting the coliseum and going to a restaurant together. i guess this outing happened after the audience with the pope?

i wonder if the little princesses spoke with the pope in spanish :) (i am pretty sure they did, and that they probably have some argentinian accent...)

it looks like they joined a tour in those pictures as they are surrounded by, what looks to be, other tourists and kids. did they really join a public tour? i am surprised as they could have requested a private tour.

i liked what maxima wore in her private outing. the skirt seems most interesting...

This will be an important even with the Dutch Royals seeing the Holy Father. However Queen Maxima will not wear white like Princess Charlene of Monaco did. Maxima is not of the Roman Catholic faith.

maxima IS catholic. but she is not queen of a catholic country, so she doesn't wear white to visit the pope.

Last edited:
Today is Koningsdag (King's Day), the national holiday on the birthday of King Willem-Alexander. As usual all media come with overviews, inquiries and polls. The overall image is satisfaction with the King, great personal popularity of the individuals. The support for a monarchy has dropped anyway, which is what I always tried to make clear on these forums: a great popularity (Victoria in Sweden, Felipe in Spain) is not synonymous with being in favour of a monarchy.

People seem to appreciate King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, they have high ratings in how they execute their roles and may enjoy goodwill and popularity. I see it with myself too. I am a monarchist but then the royals have to play the game too. I have no any special attachment to Máxima Zorreguieta, Laurentien Brinkhorst, Daniel Westling or Letizia Ortiz despite my personal appreciation for them as individuals. These people -unwanted- erode the monarchy from within. Yes, maybe it is unavoidable that monarchies will go down, but please, go down as a proper monarchy and not as the daughter of a hostess who married a fitness trainer and is on her way to be Queen of Sweden. It exposes the whole theatre of state as a vaudeville and the polls indeed show it: the stream of commoners has not strenghten the monarchy at all, or endeared the monarchy more.

[...]
maxima IS catholic. but she is not queen of a catholic country, so she doesn't wear white to visit the pope.

There is no such as "a catholic country". Note that the Roman-Catholics are the biggest Christian denomination in the Netherlands! And so-called "catholic countries" like Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain have approved abortion, euthanasia, same-gender-marriages, etc. Like in the Netherlands, also in Belgium, Luxembourg and Spain the State has no religion.

In the pdf with the expenditures over 2015 it can be read that the King has spend 1.4 million Euro on new tableware. Link.

There are a lot of beautiful sets of tableware in the collection of the royal family, but then we are talking about sets with 40, 60, 80 couverts at maximum. The previous tableware was 40 years old. This is about tableware used for the largest events: several hundreds couverts.

Last edited:
She was at an event yesterday wasn't she?

I hope Maxima recovers soon! I hope that she will be well enough to be able to participate in the photoshoot, it will be a shame not to see her there (but I understand why she would be absent if she still hadn't recovered).

She was at an event yesterday wasn't she?

The Greek state visit ended yesterday, though I can't find any photos (so far) here on TRF from that day.

She was at an event on July 4.
The visit from Greece was an official visit, the second day of the visit had no events with the royals.

I dont undertands, the fall happened last Friday, she attended an event during the week and then will be evaluated by doctors if she can attend a photoshoot? Im sure if she has been evaluated to attend an event where she standing for a good amount of time, time to get ready and so on, she is fine.

Last edited:
What is up with this family? Seems like they have more Illnesses and accidents than the rest of the RF's combined.

The Queen Máxima and Princess Catharina-Amalia recover fast.

. . .thank you for your explanation! :flowers:Make sense that the daughters are Protestant like their father , and I see all the girls used black.
It seems Maxima ensured that HH received received due deference from both herself and her daughters which, seeing that around half of their country is RC is really diplomatic even if it was a private meeting.

She was at an event on July 4.
The visit from Greece was an official visit, the second day of the visit had no events with the royals.

I dont undertands, the fall happened last Friday, she attended an event during the week and then will be evaluated by doctors if she can attend a photoshoot? Im sure if she has been evaluated to attend an event where she standing for a good amount of time, time to get ready and so on, she is fine.
I am guessing that Maxima shrugged it off and carried on but was forced to rest after still feeling unwell days later which, when you think about it, is pretty serious. Perhaps her hubby called the doctor to make her rest?

A post about the interview of the king with the Australian press has been moved to the thread of the state visi, which you can find here.

Queen Maxima taught princesses value of money from early age | NL Times

"Queen Máxima of Netherland and her family will welcome the 2017 in Patagonia"

La reina Máxima de Holanda y su familia recibirán el 2017 en la Patagonia

"Together with King and his three daughters, they will arrive in Argentine Patagonia on December 30 to stay at least two weeks."

"The royal family will arrive December 30 to stay two weeks in the Cordillera locality, one of their favorite places to rest from their agitated agendas, said La Angostura Digital."

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting observation by the royal correspondent of the NOS (the Dutch equivalent of the BBC): a calvinistic king in burgundian Belgium, a burgundian King in calvinistic Netherlands.

During the State Visit of the Belgian royal couple to our country Belgian journalists spoke with envy about King Willem-Alexander. They pointed to his jovial and cheerful manners and the ease with which he makes contact with ordinary people. With these characteristics the King of the Netherlands presents himself, within the limited role he has, as a connector in times of division.

It is ironic, in Belgian eyes, that the traditionally Calvinist Netherlands has a communicative, almost Burgundian king with Willem-Alexander, while the Burgundian Belgium has to do with a stiff, reserved, almost Calvinist Philippe. Both kings cope with division in their countries, but Willem-Alexander seems to deal with these in a more effective manner, and is also more popular than Philippe.

From the very start King Willem-Alexander chose to emphasize unity where there is division. Matching his personality, he makes no grand gestures and certainly no politically tinged statements. He knows that as a constitutional monarch he can not afford to do that.

King Willem-Alexander focuses on contacts with people in neighbourhoods, schools, community centers and businesses. There the King is at his best and he knows it too. King Willem-Alexander has plenty of contacts with the people without being a populist. He manifests himself, willy-nilly, a bit like the anti-populist who literally rivals politicians. But still the distance between King and street is maintained.

After all a King is, like no other, part of the establishment of the social elite. As an impartial head of state the King can only play a unifying role in an unpolitical role. Especially now, because of impending elections, political differences are enlarged, the King has to mind his step.

'Bourgondische' koning als verbinder in tijden van verdeeldheid | NOS

Interesting that you don't translate the last paragraph of the article, which to me is one of the main reasons why comparisons between the RF's of Belgium and the Netherlands cannot be done based on their public personae:
"Philip, the timid king, le roi timid, is back home. In the institutional crumbled Belgium, where the king is seen as the only 'real' Belgian, division is the way of life. Despite the Dutch example, it's not easy to play a unifying role there"

W-A became king in a monarchy which has no real fear of being abolished, and where his predecessor (his mother) left a very stable royal situation. There are political rumblings, but as long as discussions like "zwarte piet" are the main talk of the day, no real big issues compaired to other countries around the world.

In Belgium, the monarchy left by K.Albert was not as stable as the situation in the NL in the first place, and the country is still very divided, both political as cultural (differences between french and dutch speaking belgians).

I don't deny that K.Philip is very timid and not by any means as out-going as K.W-A; they have completely different personalities..

But I'm also reminded of this quote:
Tis easy enough to be pleasant,
When life flows along like a song;
But the man worth while
is the one who will smile
when everything goes dead wrong.

imo, ofcourse

Where are they spending Christmas? Argentina?

Yes, the King and his family are in Argentina, the native homeland of Queen Máxima. They own properties in Muelle de Piedra near La Angostura, close to San Carlos de Bariloche, bordering Chile. (picture). But it is very well possible they stay somewhere else, in that gigantic country.

I'm probably being very stupid but where is the King's Christmas speech? I can't seem to find it.

As The King celebrates his 50th birthday this year,in Tilburg as we all know,there's also a private birthday bash ofcourse of which there will be mucho pics..Several of foreign Royals will hop over to celebrate as wel privately!
Something to look forward too on this cold and rather wet day..:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom