The Princess of Orange, Princesses Alexia and Ariane, News Part 1 (May 2013-Jan 2019)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When do the AAA's go back to school? I'm surprised that there haven't been any photos yet as most schools in Europe seem to have gone back already or are going back later on this week.

F
When do the AAA's go back to school? I'm surprised that there haven't been any photos yet as most schools in Europe seem to have gone back already or are going back later on this week.

They went back to school last week but only share a picture when they start attending a new school (primary or secondary). Next year we will get one (of Ariane with her bike leaving for school most likely) when it's Ariane's first day at secondary school.

They went back to school last week but only share a picture when they start attending a school (primary or secondary). Next year will will get one (of Ariane with her bike most likely) when it's Ariane's first day at secondary school.

Ah OK, thank you. I did wonder if photos were only released for more "educational milestones".

For the 15th birthday of HRH The Princess of Orange, the renowned Hermitage Amsterdam has a nice attention: all ladies with the names Catharina and/or Amalia in their passport will have free access to the premises on December 7th:

"The Hermitage has a warm heart for the royal family and with this attention it celebrates the birthday of the Princess. As Prince of Orange, King Willem-Alexander was a most esteemed lord protector of The Hermitage Amsterdam. He and his daughter are ancestors of Catherine The Great."

Picture

For the 15th birthday of HRH The Princess of Orange, the renowned Hermitage Amsterdam has a nice attention: all ladies with the names Catharina and/or Amalia in their passport will have free access to the premises on December 7th:

"The Hermitage has a warm heart for the royal family and with this attention it celebrates the birthday of the Princess. As Prince of Orange, King Willem-Alexander was a most esteemed lord protector of The Hermitage Amsterdam. He and his daughter are ancestors of Catherine The

They can’t be ancestors of Catherine the Great. Did they mean descendants of Catherine the Great instead ?

I suppose their relation to Catherine the Great hails from Queen Anna Pavlovna, who was Catherine’s granddaughter , right ?

Last edited:
Yes, and through Hereditary Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, an elder sister of Queen Anna and the paternal great-grandmother of Prince(-consort) Hendrik.

Last edited:
Via King Willem III of the Netherlands, Grand-Duke of Luxembourg

Catherine II (The Great), Tsarina of All Russia
|
Pavel I Petrovich Romanov, Tsar of All Russia
|
Anna Pavlovna Romanova, Grand-Princess of Russia
|
King Willem III of the Netherlands, Grand-Duke of Luxembourg
|
Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands
|
Queen Juliana of the Netherlands
|
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
|
King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands
|
Princess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands, The Princess of Orange

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Via Heinrich, Duke von Mecklenburg-Schwerin

Catherine II (The Great), Tsarina of All Russia
|
Pavel I Petrovich Romanov, Tsar of All Russia
|
Elena Pavlovna Romanova, Grand-Princess of Russia
|
Paul Friedrich, Grand-Duke von Mecklenburg-Schwerin
|
Friedrich II Franz, Grand-Duke von Mecklenburg-Schwerin
|
Heinrich, Duke von Mecklenburg-Schwerin
|
Queen Juliana of the Netherlands
|
Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
|
King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands
|
Princess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands, The Princess of Orange

Last edited:
It is the princess' 15th birthday today. Queen Maxima commented today that the Princess of Orange is celebrating her birthday 'en familly' and that she would be busy studying for exams.

Source: Telegraaf

It is the princess' 15th birthday today. Queen Maxima commented today that the Princess of Orange is celebrating her birthday 'en familly' and that she would be busy studying for exams.

Source: Telegraaf
Tomorrow :) (at least in my time zone)

True, I thought it was the day after Sinterklaas, but it is two days indeed.

It might be just me but looks a little to much make up for a 15 year old?

:previous: I agree that it's a bit much for my taste, but the photo is still lovely.

I am not sure if it is make-up or excessive photoshop. From the same set they photoshopped Pss Alexia to look like an 18 y/o.

I wish they'd release more natural looking and less airbrushed images of the Princesses.

I'm a little disappointed that there wasn't a new photo of Amalia released for her birthday. It would've been nice to see a new photo of her now that she's fifteen - I can't believe that she's 15 already!

Imo they look the most mature of their generation of royal teens; i would have liked at least P.Amalia would undertake some royal appearances now and then like in other european monarchies (other than the annual photoshoot and King's day appearance) but i don't think it will happen, the parents seem adamant to keep them out of the limelight.

Ofcourse they are still teens/kids, but teens with a priviliged upbringing and paved-way future (again, at least P.Amalia) so a comparison with "regular kids" is not apprpriate jmo

just my 2 cts ofcourse, and i could get this when the where aged under 10, but by now imo it wouldn't be amiss to change this attitude a little, because if the photos show one thing it's that they are not kids anymore and clearly don't want to be :flowers:

:previous: I agree. It would IMO make her transition into official life so much easier.
And she will get whoopee-experience early on. Because she really has to screw up badly in order not to get praised at her first official events as a young teen.

It would be nice if some of the heirs and next heirs who are in their teens could get together for something. Something with youth and charity. Nice and uncontroversial.
There are off hand some five heirs in their teens right now.
The Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Denmark - and perhaps Leonor of Spain, though she may be a little too young.

Yesterday Queen Máxima baptized the Vox Amalia. (The Vox Alexia and the Vox Ariane are awaiting completion). Here and there in media it was expected that Princess Amalia would do the baptism but she is in the weeks before the Christmas break and has her school-exams. Last week the Queen already told Amalia was working hard for this.

https://images.fd.nl/YMkH70kNNO-1emuMA4ZU-YRiB5c.jpg?auto=format&q=45&cs=tinysrgb&w=1280

Besides that: the first official act of the Princess of Orange will be in the presence of her father, I think. As a sort of symbolism. Like Prince Willem-Alexander opened the Willemsbrug (William's Bridge) in Rotterdam in the presence of his mother, Queen Beatrix.

Last edited:
The queen baptized a boat that was named after her eldest daughter yesterday. It would have been a good occasion for Amalia to have joined. It is an easy function, would only take an hour or so and she just needed to smile and throw a bottle. But apparently not.

I understand why they want to protect their children. But they seem to do it to the point of complete seclusion from the public, with the exception of one day in the year. No other RF is as restrictive. Even the Reformatorisch Dagblad (!) recently wrote an article with the headline: ''Birthday girl Amalia barely known by the public'. And as newspapers go they don't come more 'Orangist' than the RD.

In 3 years she will be receiving 1.495.000 Euros a year from the Dutch taxpayer. Although parliament had a discussion about it 2 years ago I am sure it will pop up in 2021 or before. Why does a student who has no public engagements need so much money? I don't think it is likely that her activities will significantly increase immediately after her 18th birthday, save her attendance of Prinsjesdag and an introduction to the counsel of state.

Last edited:
[...] Ofcourse they are still teens/kids, but teens with a priviliged upbringing and paved-way future (again, at least P.Amalia) so a comparison with "regular kids" is not apprpriate jmo [...]

She is less privileged as many of other Wassenaar kids: just to the local village school and not to a posh particulier school. Just on the bike to the Sorghvliet Gymnasium, no typical Range Rover-parents in Burberry bringing their adolescent to the school-gate, but just on the bike, in rain and wind, to The Hague.

No open social media allowed, mobile phone bans on holiday, etc. There are thousands and thousands more girls living a more posh and spoiled life than Amalia. With all her privileges, her parents seem determined to keep both feet on the ground. In which other monarchy one would see the (then) future Queen acting as "stay mother" and as "lice mother"???

:lol:

https://gpdhome.typepad.com/nieuwsberichten/2008/07/mxima-overblijf.html

[....]

I understand why they want to protect their children. But they seem to do it to the point of complete seclusion from the public, with the exception of one day in the year. No other RF is as restrictive. Even the Reformatorisch Dagblad (!) recently wrote an article with the headline: ''Birthday girl Amalia barely known by the public'.

[...]

She has only three years of anonimity left. It will be hard enough. Her parents seem determined to give her this unspoiled time without all the ballast from the media. Good for her. We have never known a certain Máxima before January 2001. Since then she is the most beloved and popular member of the royal family, despite no one has ever known her when she was 15. This to put it in balance.

The King should not have one second of sleep less because of the Reformatorisch Dagblad. They are critical on his Sunday activities and his lack of church attendance. Those Orthodox-Protestants are nice, but it is the mainstream which counts. I think the average Dutchman does not care less if Amalia has already cut a ribbon or not. They know she will have a life FULL of ribbon-cuttings, first-stone-layings, of ship-baptisms and of official openings.

Mmmyes.

I believe it would be sensible for Amalia to have a few public jobs, before the question of her upkeep/apanage/whatever you call it in the Netherlands becomes a debate in three years.
The question about money will come up regardless, but if she hardly does any public appearances, it's an argument that is not that easy to just dismiss.
But IMO more importantly it is crucial that she does appear to be working to some extent, before she is criticized for receiving money for not doing anything.
Even though it's not her decision it will detract from her first day on the job, so to speak. And she will be nervous enough as it is! And that could very well make it a much less positive experience for her.
In other words: It's better to get Amalia working, before it is seen as a reaction to public criticism.

- Take the air out of that particular balloon.

I think the average Dutchman does not care less if Amalia has already cut a ribbon or not.

I think you are right about that, but from personal experience I think "the average Dutchman" doesn't even know the princesses apart from a pic a year...many can't even tell the princesses apart from eachother (one colleague referred to them as "the big one and the two little ones" and he wasn't anti monarchy or anything, just not interested)

while a monarchy is no popularity contest, to keep the princesses *that* far away from the general public is imo something that might backfire in the future...

again...just my 2 cts

Mmmyes.

I believe it would be sensible for Amalia to have a few public jobs, before the question of her upkeep/apanage/whatever you call it in the Netherlands becomes a debate in three years.
The question about money will come up regardless, but if she hardly does any public appearances, it's an argument that is not that easy to just dismiss.
But IMO more importantly it is crucial that she does appear to be working to some extent, before she is criticized for receiving money for not doing anything.
Even though it's not her decision it will detract from her first day on the job, so to speak. And she will be nervous enough as it is! And that could very well make it a much less positive experience for her.
In other words: It's better to get Amalia working, before it is seen as a reaction to public criticism.

- Take the air out of that particular balloon.

There will be no problem regarding Princess Amalia's future annual income thanks to an inventive mechanism in the Dutch Budget systematic. It prescribes that foreseeable expenditures withing five years need to be reported.

So on Prinsjesdag 2016 the King presented the State Budget 2017 in which, for the first time, the future income of the Princess of Orange was mentioned.

It has been discussed with every reading of every annual State Budget. In 2016, in 2017 and now in 2018. The current Budget still is under reading in the Senate for the final vote. But Amalia will be 100% safe. Do you know why? Look how many of the 150 members of the Chamber have approved the Budget of the King.....:

https://www.tweedekamer.nl/kamerstu...g=wetsvoorsteldetails&qry=wetsvoorstel:34775I

It would be utter inconsequence to block Amalia's income while in all these years the Parliament voted with almost unanimity. This year the Partij voor de Dieren (Animal Rights Party) voted against the Budget 2019. Not that it has anything to do with the income for Princess Amalia. It is a protest against the wildlife management on the Crown Domains for which the King is responsible (wildlife management sometimes involves the shooting of animals).

Last edited:
I agree with most of the posters here. It would bee good for Amalia to do a few "easy" public jobs. She's old enough to name a ship or cut a ribbon. It's a good thing that she gets to live most her life as most other kids, but I think that her transition would be easier if she would do a few appearances in public. I think that the norwegians is on the right track with Ingrid Alexandra, just to give one example.

I agree with most of the posters here. It would bee good for Amalia to do a few "easy" public jobs. She's old enough to name a ship or cut a ribbon. It's a good thing that she gets to live most her life as most other kids, but I think that her transition would be easier if she would do a few appearances in public. I think that the norwegians is on the right track with Ingrid Alexandra, just to give one example.

She is more in the public eye than most of her temporaries. In which monarchy the royal family dives for hours into a human crowd of thousands and thousands to celebrate the King's birthday? I have never seen Élisabeth, Ingrid Alexandra or Leonor doing that. This event is broadcast for hours on all channels. Not alike ribbon-cutting for one minute.

Picture: https://imgn.rgcdn.nl/b5c5b13b2de14313bcfa2180dbca4d33/opener/Foto-ANP-Remko-de-Waal.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom