The Princess of Orange, Princesses Alexia and Ariane, News Part 1 (May 2013-Jan 2019)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, google translate is not too skilled in dutch; for people who have their own website and are wanting to get a more international audience, it's better to provide an english option on the website itself..

Automatic translators are often good enough to roughly get a sense of what an article is about, but if you really want to know the details... not so much ;)

Last edited:
Very Dutch indeed, an omafiets (granny bike) with a box. See picture. Lovely. (I also love the meticulously trimmed green ivy covering the villa!).

Princess Amalia started today at her new school (first day at "high school", although this is not a name used in the NL, but I think for the international posters here that's more recognizable ;) ):
Prinses Amalia begint op gymnasium Sorghvliet | NU - Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl

translated

I love the pic, very dutch ;)

ETA: Koning legt eerste schooldag Amalia vast|Prive| Telegraaf.nl
this page has a little video as well, filmed by K.W-A himself

Already in high school. I wonder if it is what we call Junior High in Canada"

She looks like a true Middelbare scholier. :D

Amalia still looked so young to me a few months ago but not anymore.

No scholar in the Netherlands has to wear a uniform to school. If say she wants to dress up as a gothic, she could.

Already in high school. I wonder if it is what we call Junior High in Canada"

It is in general called secondary education, following on primary education. But within the secondary education there are different levels and directions. Princess Amalia goes to the gymnasium which is a classic form on the highest level of secondary education, called VWO (pre-university secondary education). The gymnasium stresses on a classic education, with Latin and ancient Greek as part of the curriculum. So the Princess faces a few tough years of study.

:flowers:

Last edited:
Huh. So no dress code. Interesting.

There are schools with a dress code but uniforms are unknown in the Netherlands' school system, stressing that each child has an own individuality.

The dress code I mean can be: no trousers for female students (on some strict protestant schools), headscarfs obliged (on islamist schools) but in far most cases it only says: no flip-flops, no sweatpants, no tops which exposes a belly or a navel, no caps and no headphones, that sort of basal things.

Aw, Amalia is getting so grown up now, I can't believe she's at secondary school already. I loved the photo of her on her bike and it's cute that WA released his own video of his daughter.

I didn't realise some schools in the Netherlands started today - I hope Amalia had a good first day and made new friends. It's interesting that her new school is in the Hague rather than Wassenaar (where Bloemcampschool was located) or Amsterdam.

Last edited:
Aw, Amalia is getting so grown up now, I can't believe she's at secondary school already. I loved the photo of her on her bike and it's cute that WA released his own video of his daughter.

I didn't realise the schools in the Netherlands started today - I hope Amalia had a good first day and made new friends. It's interesting that her new school is in the Hague rather than Wassenaar (where Bloemcampschool was located) or Amsterdam.
Not all schools started today. There is a seperation between North, middle and the South. This means that schools within these three areas end and start the schoolyear in different weeks. It varies each year aswell. One of the reasons this construction is in place to make sure the roads aren't overloaded by traffic.

Not all schools started today. There is a seperation between North, middle and the South. This means that schools within these three areas end and start the schoolyear in different weeks. It varies each year aswell. One of the reasons this construction is in place to make sure the roads aren't overloaded by traffic.

Ah OK, thanks for the info, that's interesting. I heard that it's like that in France (though in France I think there's just a separation for the North and the South) but I didn't realise it was the same for the Netherlands.

Is this common in Europe? Here in England we have the same holiday time for all parts of the country though private schools break up and go back earlier than state schools.

Well, the King and his four ladies will move from the royal estate De Horsten in Wassenaar to Huis ten Bosch in The Hague (picture). That 17th-C residence is close to the Sorghvliet Gymnasium (picture). So the royal family has been pro-active on that.

The Princess seems to have very long legs- like her mama (and her papa).

Ah OK, thanks for the info, that's interesting. I heard that it's like that in France (though in France I think there's just a separation for the North and the South) but I didn't realise it was the same for the Netherlands.

Is this common in Europe? Here in England we have the same holiday time for all parts of the country though private schools break up and go back earlier than state schools.

I don't think it's common throughout all Europe... in Belgium for instance there is a fix "summer vacation" period, which lasts 2 months and starts on 1 july (or the saturday before if 1 july is a sunday or monday)...

But in the NL indeed as Empress Merel said, the country is divided in 3 parts with concern to school holidays

I didn't realise some schools in the Netherlands started today - I hope Amalia had a good first day and made new friends. It's interesting that her new school is in the Hague rather than Wassenaar (where Bloemcampschool was located) or Amsterdam.

How sweet. Someday he is going to look at that when he is old and Amalia is a mother with her own daughter riding off and wonder where did time go.

On RTL News a former teacher of the King told he sometimes felt "pity" for the young Prince. Not only the young adolescent was accompanied by two or more officers from the security - every minute. There was also nothing "spontaneous". Normal kids become friends, invite each other for doing something fun, for a birthday party, etc. Prince Willem-Alexander could never know if someone wanted to be friends with him because he/she liked him, or just because he was the Prince of Orange. He could also never spontaneously invite schoolmates "home" (Huis ten Bosch Palace) because everything needs security checks on beforehand.

The old teacher worked on the Baarnsch Lyceum, a little school in a provincial setting with free view all around. Princes Catharina-Amalia goes to the Sorghvliet Gymnasium in the middle of The Hague. There are mobile phones around, there are more threats. He remarked that the Princess was far less in publicity than her father back then. He found that wise: "The King and Queen seems to know what to do. Let the child be a child. Let her enjoy as long as it is possible".

The friends issue will always be present and as said The security problems are much worse today than when WA was a boy. I can't see how those are ever going to let any Royal child have those 'Normal' experiences with random school buddy's not in their parents circle of confidants.

Regarding security, I was wondering if anyone knows what are the limits/guidelines are for Amalia's friends if they wanted to post photos of her on social media sites (e.g. selfies they have taken with her)? If their accounts are private I don't think it would be as big of a problem.

I don't think it's common throughout all Europe... in Belgium for instance there is a fix "summer vacation" period, which lasts 2 months and starts on 1 july (or the saturday before if 1 july is a sunday or monday)...

But in the NL indeed as Empress Merel said, the country is divided in 3 parts with concern to school holidays

When I asked if it was common in Europe what I meant was that is it the custom in a lot of countries, so not literally every European country, if that makes sense. I didn't ask very clearly, though I appreciate your additional answer. :)

Well, the King and his four ladies will move from the royal estate De Horsten in Wassenaar to Huis ten Bosch in The Hague (picture). That 17th-C residence is close to the Sorghvliet Gymnasium (picture). So the royal family has been pro-active on that.

Well, I didn't know that though now Amalia attending Sorghvliet makes perfect sense. I can imagine that her sisters will also attend the school, it makes more sense to have siblings at the same school rather than having them at different ones (and IIRC Alexia and Ariane both attend Bloemcampschool like Amalia did).

Here in Portugal, primary school, "ciclo" and Secundary school all have the same dates, but now, because years ago primary school started earlier but nowadays they all have the same dates. University is diferent from all of them though.

For those who don't know what "ciclo" is. Primary school (Ensino primário) is from age 5-6 to 8-9 and lasts 4 years. "Ciclo" (Ensino Básico) is from age 9-10 to 13-14 and lasts 5 years. Secundary school or High School (Ensino secundário) is from age 14-15 to 16-17 and lasts 3 years. You start University or higher education at 17-18.

I always loved changing schools, because we often have schools just for primary, others for only "ciclo", and so on... This must be a very exciting momment to Amalia. She'll get diferent subjects, she'll meet more people, how lovely.

Last edited:
Regarding security, I was wondering if anyone knows what are the limits/guidelines are for Amalia's friends if they wanted to post photos of her on social media sites (e.g. selfies they have taken with her)? If their accounts are private I don't think it would be as big of a problem.

[...]

On itself there are no special limits or guidelines other than that every Dutch citizen enjoys the right on an undisturbed private life-sphere. The Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst (State Information Service) has made an appeal to the media - which was shared with the public - to grant Princess Amalia an undisturbed private life in her youth "because the future life of the Princess will for an important part be characterized by public duties".

When the Princess is not left alone and regularly disturbed by social media pics or whatever, then I think the parents will place her on a boarding school out of the Netherlands. Hopefully she will be granted the pleasure to enjoy a normal and carefree youth.

Amalia is so grown up! When did that happen? She is going to be quite tall I can and I LOVE that she cycled to school - very Dutch!

Amalia is so grown up! When did that happen? She is going to be quite tall I can and I LOVE that she cycled to school - very Dutch!
Yes she is and she isn't 12 years old yet. To me she looks like she will be the tallest of the three, followed by Ariane and then Alexia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom