The Prince of Orange, Current Events 2 (April 2007 - April 2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Prince will open the exhibition " Words and Arms,in service of the Nassaus" at the Great or Our Dear Lady church,Breda on thursday january 14th on occasion of the 600th anniversary of the church.

This church has the earliest Nassau tombs,ao,René of Chalon,Prince of Orange who passed that title to his cousin Willem van Oranje who thus became the founder of the Dynasty we know,love and respect,and Anna van Buren,William the Silent's first spouse,are buried here as ofcourse it was a Roman Catholic Church initially.

Grote Kerk Breda, bakermat van de Oranje Nassaus

Please scroll down for the exhibition.:)

Last edited:
Quick question. This thread is now 14 pages long and almost three years old. Might it be time for a new W-A Current Events thread? Perhaps the New Year is a good time to start afresh.

Just a thought.

I visited the church a few years ago, it is a quite impressive building. I remember the tombe's of some other Nassau's too, from several members of the family van Polanen and a count Frederik van Renesse. It will be an interesting exhibition.

-
as an awnser to claypoint: we have the policy of closing CE threads when they ahve reached 20 pages.

I visited the church a few years ago, it is a quite impressive building. I remember the tombe's of some other Nassau's too, from several members of the family van Polanen and a count Frederik van Renesse. It will be an interesting exhibition.

-
as an awnser to claypoint: we have the policy of closing CE threads when they ahve reached 20 pages.

It is a most impressive church and the final resting place of the early Nassaus.Had Breda not been occupied by spanish troops during the 80 years war,(1568 - 1648) it would have been the final restingplace of Willem of Orange Patrae Patriae as well,and most probably hold the Royal Crypt as we know it but in Delft instead.

The tombs and crypts of the Polanen and Nassau families:

Breda - Grote Kerk

courtesy Mardam's eloborate site.

Of small Princes and glorious antique train wagons.....

First pic;Alexander and his brothers arriving in Lech Austria by train
with their parents and grandmaman Juliana and granddaddy Bernhard:

PPE Agency

courtesy ppe:flowers:

All part of an exhibition at the National Railway Museum,Utrecht.

-

Breda today:

PPE Agency

courtesy ppe:)

Last edited by a moderator:
It does look like an impressive church indeed. Check out those HUGE columns.

The Prince has broken his shoulder while iceskating this afternoon.
His left arm was dislocated but he fixed that himself by pushing it back in its place
before he was driven to the Bronovo hospital,The Hague for a check-up where he was
diagnosed with a minor fracture of the shoulder.Still hurtfull tho....

He will have to wear a mitella,but can continue his offcial duties according to the RVD.

Last edited:
The Prince has broken his shoulder while iceskating this afternoon.
His left arm was dislocated but he fixed that himself by pushing it back in its place
before he was driven to the Bronovo hospital,The Hague for a check-up where he was
diagnosed with a minor fracture of the shoulder.Still hurtfull tho....

He will have to wear a mitella,but can continue his offcial duties according to the RVD.
OUCH! Then to push it in place yourself...owww.:eek:

OUCH! Then to push it in place yourself...owww.:eek:

Yes,very OUCH,but then that is the best one can do in this case really,he's a big boy,a big dutch boy,and you can't have been iceskating without breaking the odd arm and a leg once.

Lets just hopes his lovely daughters don't jump on him for a while;"daddy daddy....and then oh....imagine...

http://gpdhome.typepad.com/royalblo...tch-crown-prince-breaks-shoulder-in-fall.html

courtesy hja

He wasn't the only one,hundreds have been taken to hospitals due to a fall while skating over the last weeks as we have the most wonderfull winter since 1963 here,it's just the Elfstedentocht that we,or rather I,miss still to complete the picture of a perfect winter.

The Elfstedentocht,a speedskating tour on ice stretching over 200 km crossing all 11 cities of the province of Friesland,it is the national sport event of all events and draws hundreds of thousands to the northern province to watch,and millions warm and comfy behind their telly from 04.30AM onwards as that is the time the tour starts for the speedskaters but you can skate till exactly midnight.It only happens once in a blue moon tho,hence all the upheaval when it does happen.

Alexander once finished the whole tour years back,IIRC in 1985,while being registered for the tour under the name;"A.van Buren" thus lending a title from mama who is also a Countess of Buren,home of Anna,the first wife of Willem the Silent.

Winter of 2010 in The Netherlands:

ANP Beeldbank

The Elfstedentocht over the years:

ANP Beeldbank

courtesy royalimages.:flowers:

Marengo,start making snert please!!!

Last edited:
Are the conditions not right for the "Eleven Cities Race?"

No, it is not, sadly. The temperature is above zero again. But it is acctually a good thing, because there was so much snow frozen on the ice that it would not be possible to skate the eleven city skating tour on it. It might start freezing again next week so let's hope we will be lucky this time and that we will finally hear: 'It giet oan'.

-
Here a clip of the prince when he was a bit more fortunate on the ice, in 1986 (after 0.52 sec.):

YouTube - ELFSTEDENTOCHT 1986.mpg

Last edited:
I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you! Hopefully if the weather cooperates then there will be a race.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you! Hopefully if the weather cooperates then there will be a race.

Keep 'm crossed harder!!...LOL!
They do expect freezing temps again next week,and now,with all the snow gone,there is a
better chance then ever that we will indeed hear another;"It Giet Oan"!

Frizian for It's On,famous words that have a nation clustered before their telly's the night prior to hear that announcement,and hords on the move the very night,Oh it's such a special thing,you gotta be here to catch the feel,just fan-tas-tic!Oh,the bridge at Barthlehiem,and the turn around at Dokkum.Stay tuned we here keep you all informed...

Thanks for the clip with Alexander Marengo,we all went wild for enthousiasm as we learned he participated the whole lenght,all these over 200 km in bitter cold and a hugging laughing and crying proud set of parents who awaited him at the finish.Oh man,that was so great.:)

LOL I will do my best! I remember reading about this race when W-A participated in it. One of my teaching colleagues had married a Dutchman so she was familiar with this race too.

,Oh it's such a special thing,you gotta be here to catch the feel,just fan-tas-tic!Oh,the bridge at Barthlehiem,and the turn around at Dokkum.Stay tuned we here keep you all informed...

Now you are getting all lyrical, but you are forgetting the Bonkevaart/Bonkefeart ;):

YouTube - Anneke Douma - Bonkefeart

---

The prince on the Bonkefeart, the canal where the finish of the tour is: http://blogimages.seniorennet.be/4f...sen/162-e284610b45292726529ecc61cd669684.jpeg

I suppose that with a broken shoulder he an forget participating in another one this year (if it is happening). Such a thing takes (2?) months to heal completely.

No no no,ofcourse:the Bonkevaart,the start and finish of this mother of all events in Leeuwarden.It is just so fan-tas-tic,it really is.
Easy to get taken away by.1985 was the first Elfstedentocht in 22 years,since the winter of 1963...and I remember that so well...
so that was really so fantastic that after so long there was another one.Then there was 1986 and then again it took years till the
weather conditions became ideal again,10 years till 1996.You see,that is how special it really is.

And there always was a member of the Royal Family waiting at the finish,it used to be Queen Juliana and Trix,and since HM is our dear beloved Beatrix,she always was there awaiting these hero's.

Yes,few things take me away on my wings as easy as this...:D

The Prince,Chair of the Water Advisory Commission,on visited the town of Lekkerkerk today.

ANP Beeldbank

courtesy royalimages/Frank van Beek.

The Prince of Orange visited the local police HQ and the Fire Department in Wassenaar today and was briefed on their work and cooperation.
:)

Prince Willem-Alexander got a tour through the Central High efficiency
in Amsterdam, March 9, 2010. The visit was part of the symposium
"The Amsterdam Waste Management Conference".

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** belga **

The last three days the prince of Orange visited the Dutch troops in Afghanistan. He visited the militairy base in Kandahar and the militairy bases of Tarin Kowt and Deh Rawod in Uruzgan.

It was the fourth time the prince visted the troops in Afghanistan.

Here is a picture gallery form his visit
PPE Agency

On his way home HRH will visit camp Mirage in the UAE,the camp handles all logistics,materials and staffing for Afghanistan from there.

http://gpdhome.typepad.com/royalblo...03/dutch-crown-prince-visits-afghanistan.html

courtesy hja

HRH,Chair of UNSGAB,will attend,and speech at,the celebration of World Water Day,Nairobi Kenia monday march 22nd.

On request of vice-premier Zoebkov of Russia,a visit by the Prince to the Yamal Region on tuesday march 23rd is postponed
till later this year,probably september.

I don't think HRH will mind tho,Afghanistan the past three days,today the UAE and home,this weekend NL.DOET and in Nairobi on monday.Tight schedule for a hard worker as HRH is.

Last edited:
31-03-2010 The Hague : Prince Willem-Alexander attended the opening
of the vrijheidstrein (Freedom train) at Hollands Spoor in The Hague.

The train is an initiative of the National Committee 4th and 5th May in
collaboration with the Dutch Railways. The freedom train rides, under 65
years anniversary celebration of the Liberation, five weeks through the
country.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** ppe gallery **

06-04-2010 Asperen: Prince Willem-Alexander visited the Dorpshuis
Eendracht Maakt Macht (E.M.M.) in Asperen. The Prince spoke with
the board and met the representatives of the village.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** ppe gallery **

On tuesday april 6th HRH attended the meeting of the Royal Airforce Council at Breda / Prinsenbeek.

Look in the photo gallery.:)

Het Koninklijk Huis

09-04-2010 Lelystad : Prince Willem-Alexander attended the symposium
"Voorbij de vanzelfsprekendheid" (Beyond the obvious) at the Agoratheater
in Lelystad. The symposium is organized to mark the 10th anniversary of
Zuiderzeeland.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** ppe gallery **

HRH The Prince of Orange will attend the funeral of president and Mrs. Kaczynski at the Wawel Cathedral,Krakow this sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom