The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima, Current Events 3 (Sept 2004 - Feb 2005)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does the crown prince have more names then Willem-Alexander and where does his name come from?

Josefine said:
does the crown prince have more names then Willem-Alexander and where does his name come from?
Willem Alexander Claus George Ferdinand

Willem = from Willem of Orange of course. After the Kings Willem I, Willem II and Willem III, he will be King Willem IV.
Alexander = Beatrix and Claus loved the name and the name is already often used in the family (in the past).
Claus= his father's name
George= also one of his father's names (full name of Claus was:Claus George Willem Otto Frederik Geert)
Ferdinand= is the name of one of his godfathers: Ferdinard von Bismarck.

xxLindaxx said:
Maxima nominated for 'dumb fur' award

The organisation said people such as Maxima and other celebrities should be role models and not support the commercial fur industry.
Well it's obviousl these people don't think through what they say. CP Maxima IS a princess & her job is to represent the country & all of it's industries. She can't go around talking bad about the fur industry no matter what her real opinions on it are. Besides how do they know that she is wearing real fur & not faux??? The fake stuff these days are very real looking & some top end designers make them.

I've discussed this with a biologist friend of mine & we agree that things are not so simple as "don't buy fur, don't kill cute fuzzy animals". People fail to realize that in some parts of England foxes are a pest, killing farm animals (chickens etc.) & endangering the livelihoods of farmers (poor people). If people bother to do research before they go on the attack they might be amazed to find out that certain animal populations need to be kept under control in order to keep a safe balance. I'm not saying I like the idea of killing but I can understand that in certain cases it neds to be done.

On the flip side I think it's nasty to display heads of animas on one's wall or to wear their dead bodies. Unless you're like an eskimo or something there's no need to wear a dead animal. If you like the look, why not wear the fake stuff?

Oh & a reminder, once upon a time the rat population got out of control & caused a nasty little plague that killied thousands if not millions of people. Now I know rats aren't cute fuzzy animals but how is killing them any different than say a fox ? That kind of makes me mad, if you're against killing animals that should mean all of them not just the cute ones.

Reminds me of the lines in "Pulp Fiction"..............

Jules: "Pigs sleep & root in sh*t, that's a filthy animal."

Vincent: "How about a dog, a dog eat's it's own feces."

Jules: " I don't eat dog either."

Vincent: "Yeah but do you consider dog to be a filthy animal?"

Jules: "I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but it's definately dirty. But dogs got personality, personality goes a long way."

Vincent: "So by that rational if a pig had better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?"

The Watcher said:
Prive is a gossipmag, I don't think it is true. They are already two weeks back in The Netherlands and now there was suddenly a crisis because they walked not together, when W-A was playing golf. Such a nonsense.

Because this pictures:
The man is playing golf, what do the press think Maxima is going to stand right next to him with the baby while he's swinging around a golf club??? I'd stand back too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Maxima, i think she is different from the other crown princess. I see her as always trying something new, like in cloths, example is the skirt, i would never expect or see another crown princess in it.It isnt nice but she did it. The only think in maxima she is trying to do something different, but she does not do it right.I think her hair color should change, go a bit darker.

from the Maxima messageboard posted by Mirjam:

Maxima will visit the city Groningen next week. November 10 and 11 she will be present at the EU conference of the ministers of justice (9-11 november). During the conference also topics about minorities and integration will be discussed. No information about were she will spend the night.

German Television said, that Maxima is pregnant again...so rumouring starts again ;)

I heard it too but they said that the baby will be born in March that´s not really likely because the Palace would already have announced it.

That's true. I'm wondering about that they believe what a gossip magazine write.

November 4, 2004: Crown Prince Willem Alexander of the Netherlands attends the African Ministers Council on Water at the Imperial Hotel Beach Resort in Entebbe, Uganda. The conference was organized to help solve the issue of water use on the Nile river and was run by the Nile Basin Initiative. EPA/VANESSA VICK

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 434
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 507
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 427
Even more pictures of today

---------------------
Btw. here is the speech

05/11/04 Speech by Her Royal Highness Princess Máxima of the Netherlands at the NCEO conference in The Hague on 5 November 2004

Earlier this week, the Dutch film and opinion maker Theo van Gogh was murdered. Mister Van Gogh was known for his critical views and for defending freedom of speech.

This appalling act of violence goes against everything we in the Netherlands and in Europe stand for: that everybody has the right to express their own opinion. I hope with all my heart that this terrible deed will bring us to listen and talk to each other even more. Because dialogue will bring our views closer and help us achieve a new shared identity.

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am very pleased to be here this morning to talk about equal opportunities. Equal opportunities not only for women but also for immigrants. The reason I was invited probably had something to do with the fact that I am both a woman and an immigrant.

I came to live in the Netherlands just over three years ago and like many immigrants, what brought me here was love.

People say to me, "Of course, you might be an immigrant on paper. But you're not a typical immigrant." But what is then a typical immigrant? There's no such thing. And there's no such thing as a typical woman either. Of course, we women have much in common. Most of us are experts at combining a job with caring for our families. We've all faced the challenge of trying to have a serious telephone conversation while trying to feed a child. But when we talk to each other about our own situations, we also see great differences.

When we speak about equal opportunities, we often tend to label people. We talk about "the Moroccan man", "the Turkish woman" and "the Muslim woman". That makes the discussion more manageable. But it also creates a risk. The risk that we will start thinking in stereotypes. That we will generalise, and never get beyond clichés. That we will look at women from different cultures through our western eyes, and think that what is good for us is automatically good for them too.

If we do so, we ignore the essential characteristics that make people who they are. A Turkish woman from Istanbul is very different from someone from the provinces. And a Kurdish woman is very different from a woman from Izmir. And when they emigrate to another country, they take their identity with them.

The diversity is even greater when we look beyond our own borders. Every country has its own history of migration and living with other cultures. Diversity is something you have to take into account when you talk about emancipation. And you can't talk about emancipation without talking about participation.

Participation - taking an active part in the society of which you are a member - is crucial. We all lose out when people cut themselves off from the world around them. Because they do not contribute, and their skills and talents are not used. But there is no single map guiding us towards participation. Everyone takes their own route at their own speed to their own destination.

And success often depends on very small factors: personal contact at the baby clinic, in the school playground, at work or in the community centre. Role models and good, inspiring education are just as important. And the most essential thing is trust, an open mind and respect for each other's culture.

We must not think in terms of set patterns, or of collective pathways. There is no such thing as a highway to success. But there are paths that people themselves can follow, with the help of the authorities and those around them.

That is why we should do all we can to remove the obstacles that stand in the way of participation. So that people can find their own path and pursue it. Language courses are vital. And so are good arrangements which make it possible to combine care and work. We also need employers who are willing to foster the talents of their workers so that they have every opportunity to develop.

We still have a long way to go. But I am an optimist. We should be proud of the results we have achieved so far. In the European Union, fifty percent of students in higher education are women. More and more women - including immigrant women - have jobs outside the home.

I very much admire what many women have managed to achieve. I meet women from other countries who, with great self-assurance, are finding their own way in the Netherlands. They are making an extremely valuable contribution to our society. That is quite an achievement. After all, migrants find themselves between two cultures. They are seeking an identity in their new country, without denying their roots. That is no easy task because you often feel torn. Even more reason, then, to give women the space and the opportunities they need to emancipate themselves.

And how do we create these opportunities? That's why I am very happy to be here today. Because here we can learn from each other. Not to find that one size that fits all. But to see whether the solutions we seek have already been found elsewhere in Europe. And in doing so, we need to keep women's tremendous potential in mind.

Like other countries in Europe, the Netherlands is now voting to proclaim the Greatest Dutch person in history. There is only 1 woman in the top 10, I'm afraid. Nearly the same happened in the UK and Germany.
A rather poor result after 1,000 years of emancipation, you might say. But I prefer to see it from a more positive angle.

Great women are those who learn to read and write after they have turned 50.
Great women are those who take the risk of starting their own business.
Great women are those who raise their children with love and care and also participate in other activities.
And great women are the women who have left their homeland to start a new life in a foreign country. Who do not give up when things are difficult but who seize every new opportunity.

They might not be the women you meet in history books. But they are the ones who make our society so rich and they are the women who are educating our future. I hope that your exchange of ideas today will give you renewed inspiration in your work in a changing and challenging Europe.

Source: www.overheid.nl

Attachments

• 985364.jpg
    985364.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 260
  • 985365.jpg
    985365.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 264
  • 985366.jpg
    985366.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 246
  • 985367.jpg
    985367.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 985368.jpg
    985368.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 180
Thanks for posting the great pictures.

I really liked Maxima's outfit today. She has been a little off lately, but today I think that she got it right.

Yes, she looks nice today. And again a nice brooch, I think I have never seen her without a brooch :p

Thank you for the photos...The first thing I noticed in the group photo was Princess Máxima's weight gain. Her face looks quite full. Perhaps we will be hearing of an announcement soon.:) That said I like her jacket, hair, make up and brooch, but not in combination with the skirt. Her speech was also impressive:)

Last edited:
Here are a few more pics...

I agree her jacket was very nice and brooch was beautiful, but I must say I didn't like the skirt very much, it just didn't go with the jacket. But saying that, I must also say that it was a vast improvement over what she wore yesterday for the Erasmus prizes.

Attachments

• pre-SEEGER00129087.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00129087.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 176
  • pre-SEEGER00129096.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00129096.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 163
  • pre-SEEGER00129094.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00129094.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 219
  • pre-SEEGER00129093.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00129093.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 187
  • pre-SEEGER00129091.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00129091.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 237
  • pre-SEEGER00129090.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00129090.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 181
  • pre-SEEGER00129089.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00129089.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 4,436
  • pre-SEEGER00129088.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00129088.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 255
  • pre-SEEGER00129086.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00129086.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 197
Where's the elgant Maxima we saw at the weddings this summer? I think that for a while she's been looking rather plump :(:(:(:(

It's quite hard to lose weight and even harder if it's pregnancy weight. I think she'll be back to pre-pregnancy weight soon, but it might take awhile. Frankly, I think she looks fine. I'm happy to see that one crown princess doesn't look like she's emaciated and in need of a high-calorie diet.

Oh come on, it's only Letizia that's really (too) thin, the rest looks naturally slim.
What I mean is that this summer Maxima didn't only look slimmer (putting on a few kilos isn't a problem) but much more elegant.

I don't think it's that Maxima is overweight, or "heavy" or anything of that sort, I think it may be the clothes she is chosing to wear now. They don't suit her body type at the moment and make her look much heavier then she actually is.

I agree, its not the weight, its the clothes which sometime are waaay to old for her, other times its a mismatch like the white jacket and flowy skirt, other times the clothes just dont seem to fit. That combined with terrible hair and make-up adds to my impression that she used to look much more elegant this summer and before she got pregnant. She really needs a new hair and make-up stylist. Where is the person that did her hair and makeup during the spanish wedding where she looked really good...

Larzen said:
I agree, its not the weight, its the clothes which sometime are waaay to old for her, other times its a mismatch like the white jacket and flowy skirt, other times the clothes just dont seem to fit. That combined with terrible hair and make-up adds to my impression that she used to look much more elegant this summer and before she got pregnant. She really needs a new hair and make-up stylist. Where is the person that did her hair and makeup during the spanish wedding where she looked really good...
I have to agree. Well said. :p

Larzen said:
I agree with you, too. Its not so much that Maxima is overweight (she isn't) but its the clothes that make her look overweight. Very often I find the material of her clothes, particularly her jackets, are of a very heavy material (such as tweed) which adds natural bulk to anyone. She seems to also like clothing that has a lot of "frills" that add bulk to her body, such as jackets with pockets, wide belts, or whatever that attract attention to her waist and make her look heavier than she probably is.

I haven't noticed her make up very much but her hair is particularly bad lately. I think she needs to either really work with the length of her hair or make it shorter so styling isn't needed as much.

I agree, Genevieve, Maxima tend to wear clothes that are bulky, maybe she just needs a few fashion "slimming" tips.
A few days back, a read an article on how to make clothes that make you look slimmer. Here are a few ideas, which might also help Maxima..;)

1) Choose clothing in one color to give a long and lean look

2) Try to avoid shapeless clothing. Loose clothes often makes one appear wider and heavier

3) Wear black, it gives a slimming look

4) Avoid wearing tight clothing which emphasizes your heavy areas

5) Choose well tailored pieces that define but don't constrain

6) Wear vertical stripes that make one appear longer and leaner

7) Avoid pleasts, wear flat front pants and skirts

8) Forego the frills. Extra ruffles and material only add bulk

9) Avoid small handbags. Stick with a medium-sized bag in proportion to your body

If I read and article on other problems like hair and makeup. I'll post those as well...:)

pdas1201 said:
I agree, Genevieve, Maxima tend to wear clothes that are bulky, maybe she just needs a few fashion "slimming" tips.
A few days back, a read an article on how to make clothes that make you look slimmer. Here are a few ideas, which might also help Maxima..;)

1) Choose clothing in one color to give a long and lean look

2) Try to avoid shapeless clothing. Loose clothes often makes one appear wider and heavier

3) Wear black, it gives a slimming look

4) Avoid wearing tight clothing which emphasizes your heavy areas

5) Choose well tailored pieces that define but don't constrain

6) Wear vertical stripes that make one appear longer and leaner

7) Avoid pleasts, wear flat front pants and skirts

8) Forego the frills. Extra ruffles and material only add bulk

9) Avoid small handbags. Stick with a medium-sized bag in proportion to your body

If I read and article on other problems like hair and makeup. I'll post those as well...:)
Good list pdas1201! :)

We should send this to Maxima! And really star numbers 5 and 8!

Her clothes are from Natan, it is the winter collection 04/05. I agree, it is 'heavy stuff'. :p

And this is a picture of her hairdresser :D I'm not sure maybe it is the bad one or maybe the good one. Or he is both good and bad... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• maxima.jpg
    maxima.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 796
I don´t think she looks that bad.And about her weight she is in any case better looking than Letizia.(nothing against Letizia but I just think that a little more weight is more feminine)You also have to consider that less than one year she gave birth to her first child...

The Watcher said:
Her clothes are from Natan, it is the winter collection 04/05. I agree, it is 'heavy stuff'. :p

And this is a picture of her hairdresser :D I'm not sure maybe it is the bad one or maybe the good one. Or he is both good and bad... :rolleyes:
She's only worn something from Natan now and then. Usually Natan couture is a dream, very elegant (and IMO it's also the case this season). The only thing I've seen her wearing from Natan so far, is the outfit for Casimir's baptism, which was indeed too heavy for her.

attachment.php

You guys see that gym thing behind her ? I saw that at a famous shop( Bijenkorf) The Harrods of the Netherlands. cost around the 2000 euro´s.
Mayb she´s got a weight problem. Or....Willem ALexander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom