Princess Margriet & Prof Pieter Van Vollenhoven, Current Events 1 (Jul 2003-Nov 2006)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread has now been cleaned up.

Any new engagements performed by Princess Margriet or Pieter van Vollenhoven?

Did anyone in Canada see the documentary “Tulips from Margriet” this weekend on TV?

It was very interesting – it explained the role of Canada in liberating Holland during WWII and the continuing friendship between the two countries.

Princess Margriet was interviewed and talked briefly about her early childhood years spent in Ottawa:

“ … so many stories have been told to me that I don’t know whether that I remember them or it’s because I’ve been told [them] over and over again … Curiously enough in certain parts [of Ottawa like ] in Rockcliffe Park I had a feeling of deja vue … I had a feeling … like … I’m home somehow!”

The Princess came across as very warm and personable, with a good sense of fun.

The show will air again on May 14 at 7:00 pm. There was also a Dutch version produced, so perhaps it will be shown in the Netherlands too.

For more info, go to: http://www.omnitv.ca/tv/signatureseries/episodes/tulips/

Attachments

• Tulips from Margriet.jpg
    Tulips from Margriet.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 228
  • Tulips from Margriet 1.jpg
    Tulips from Margriet 1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 200
Alexandria said:
This thread has now been cleaned up.

Any new engagements performed by Princess Margriet or Pieter van Vollenhoven?
Princess Margriet and her husband attended the Party in honour of The Queen in the night of 30th April:

Attachments

• 521505b.jpg
    521505b.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 455
  • 521505i.jpg
    521505i.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 447
On the morning 30th April:

Attachments

• 521464v.jpg
    521464v.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 723
  • 521523j.jpg
    521523j.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 702
  • 521523l.jpg
    521523l.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 697
  • 521523m.jpg
    521523m.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 712
  • 521523s.jpg
    521523s.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 695
Waving Margriet:

Attachments

• 52739943.jpg
    52739943.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 52739839.jpg
    52739839.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 703
  • 52739844.jpg
    52739844.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 695
Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Margriet on May 3rd, 2005 at the remembrance ceremony at Groesbeek (& one picture with Queen Beatrix)

Mr. Pieter Van Vollenhoven at the remembrance ceremony at Holten on May 4th 2005 (accompanied by Adrienne Clarkson, the Governor General of Canada)

Attachments

• 2005 05 03 a a.jpg
    2005 05 03 a a.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 2005 05 03 j a.jpg
    2005 05 03 j a.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 2005 05 04 Holten a.jpg
    2005 05 04 Holten a.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 235
Last edited by a moderator:
... ooops! Sorry ... I meant to put this picture, instead of duplicating the one of Margriet ...

Attachments

• 2005 05 03 g a.jpg
    2005 05 03 g a.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 213
Great pictures, Squigdy! Thanks for sharing. :)

Thanks HMQueenElizabethII & thanks Gabriella for removing the duplicate picture :)

Princess Margriet and her husband will be visiting Canada next week, from May 9th to 14th. They will be in Montreal at the beginning of their visit and then on the 12th they will come to Ottawa.

There's more information posted at http://webapps.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/minpub/Publication.asp?publication_id=382525&Language=E

I'm hoping to get some pictures of them ... meanwhile here are some pictures that I took on their visit to Ottawa in May 1995 ...

Attachments

• 1995 05 20 Ottawa a 1.jpg
    1995 05 20 Ottawa a 1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 325
  • 1995 05 20 Ottawa d 1.jpg
    1995 05 20 Ottawa d 1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 381
  • 1995 05 20 Ottawa b 1.jpg
    1995 05 20 Ottawa b 1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 353
Squidgy said:
Princess Margriet and her husband will be visiting Canada next week, from May 9th to 14th. They will be in Montreal at the beginning of their visit and then on the 12th they will come to Ottawa.

There's more information posted at http://webapps.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/minpub/Publication.asp?publication_id=382525&Language=E

I'm hoping to get some pictures of them ... meanwhile here are some pictures that I took on their visit to Ottawa in May 1995 ...

Thank you for sharing these personal pictures Squidgy! :)

Very exciting news about Margriet and Pieter's visit! I wish I lived closer to Montreal, but Ottawa is not too far away from me. Perhaps time for a road trip! :) (What's a six hour drive to meet such a lovely royal?!)

More information of princess Margriet's visit:
Tuesday May 10th:
.Visit to the mayor of Montreal
.Opening exhibition of Dutch Masters (16th and 17th century) at the Musée des Beaux Arts Reception on board the Dutch Fregat Hr.Ms.Tromp.

Wednesday,may 11th:
.Attending seminar from Liberation to Integration with a special emphasis on European Constitution at the Institute for Canadian Studies/Mc Gill Faculty Club
.Visit to Veteran Hospital St.Anne de Bellevue
.Opening Anne Frank exhibition at the Maison de la Culture Frontenac
.Attending a performance by the Drums and Pipers of the Black Watch Regiment and a concert by I Musici de Montreal.

Thursday,May 12th: Ottawa
Government Luncheon offered by Foreign Secretary Pierre Stewart Pettigrew
Attending question hour in the House of Commons
Attending performance by the (Dutch)National Ballet at the National Art Center.

Friday,May 13th:
Visit to Rockcliffe Park Public School where students will meet Veterans
Visit to the new War Museum
Luncheon at Rideau Hall,offered by the Governor-General of Canada,Adrienne Clarkson
Attending the opening of Major's Hill Park due to the Tulip Festival.
Visit to Commissioners Park where the National Capital Commission designated a part of to the Queen Juliana Tulipbed,dedicated,ofcourse,to our late Queen.
Visit to Stornoway,the house Princess Juliana,Trix,Irene and Margriet lived during WWII.

Saturday,May 14th:
Wreathlaying ceremony at the National War Monument
Attending a meeting at Drill Hall of Government-,
Municipal dignataries and Veterans as well as (Dutch)representatives of organisations and people with a strong bond with Canada.

Thank you so very much HMQueenElizabethII for Margriet and Pieter's schedule while in Canada - I was having a hard time finding any detailed information. :)

Alexandria said:
Thank you for sharing these personal pictures Squidgy! :)

Very exciting news about Margriet and Pieter's visit! I wish I lived closer to Montreal, but Ottawa is not too far away from me. Perhaps time for a road trip! :) (What's a six hour drive to meet such a lovely royal?!)

Glad you enjoyed the pictures Alexandria! (I certainly enjoyed taking them!):)

You are a true royal fan - to drive 6 hrs for a glimpse of royalty! I hope you can make it Alexandria. Just a note of caution - you might want to get there a bit early. Sometimes these events are more heavily attended than you might think would be the case for a tour by "foreign" royalty. But Margriet's pretty popular in Ottawa and this week she has been in the news quite a bit (Groesbeek ceremony on Tuesday, the parade at Apeldoorn this morning, and today she is on the front page of the Ottawa Citizen for an interview). This isn't at all meant to discourage you. I just wouldn't want you to drive all the way to Ottawa, only to catch a glimpse of the top of Margriet's head. Anyways I really hope you can make it to Ottawa next week!:)

In Apeldoorn today there was, once again, a very moving parade for the "liberators" of the Netherlands in 1945 (Canada, Great Britain, Poland and the USA). It was a mostly rainy day (with some periods of sunshine & some periods of hail thrown in for good measure). But that didn't dampen the spirits of the veterans or the incredible continuing generousity of the Dutch people towards their liberators.

The parade was attended by the Governor General of Canada (Adrienne Clarkson) & her husband, Princess Margriet and Pieter Van Vollenhoven, and Prince Floris and his fiance Aimee.

Here are some pictures from the parade:

1. Adrianne Clarkson, Princess Margriet and John Ralston Saul
2. Pieter Van Vollenhoven using universally understood sign language
3. Young soldiers
4. Princess Margriet (who was dressed from head to toe in Canada's national colours and, as a compliment to her fellow countrymen, had feathers the colour of the Dutch flag in her hair)
5. The parade
6. Prince Floris and Aimee
7. Even the dogs got in on the action
8. Princess Margriet receiving an impromptu presentation from a Vet

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 351
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 314
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 331
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 324
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 292
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 396
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 260
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Notice the red/white colours of Margriets outfit! What a lovely tribute to our Canadian liberators.
Margriet is the most excellent 'deputy-queen' any country could have and I am very glad that Queen Beatrix publicly thanked her sister and brother-in-law for 25 years of support, during Queensday in Scheveningen. Margriet (and Pieter) so deserved this praise (and they seemed surprised & emotional when they received it).

I thought the celebrations honouring Canadian vets in the Netherlands were brilliant. I've been watching them on tv for the past week or so and it was so nice to see the gratitude and warmth from the Dutch people. Very nicely done!
I just heard on the news that Princess Margriet is in Canada now. Haven't seen any tv footage yet but will keep an eye open for them.

... I haven't seen anything yet either Humera ...

Thought I would post some pictures from their last visit to Canada in 2002. They were here for the Ottawa Tulip Festival in May... They also attended other events, such as a visit to the Peacekeeping Monument (pictured below)

Attachments

• a may 2002.jpg
    a may 2002.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 306
  • d may 2002.jpg
    d may 2002.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 263
  • c may 2002.jpg
    c may 2002.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 284
  • b may 2002.jpg
    b may 2002.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

Attachments

• a may 11 2002 Ottawa.jpg
    a may 11 2002 Ottawa.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 291
  • b May 11 2002.jpg
    b May 11 2002.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 326
  • c may 11 2002.jpg
    c may 11 2002.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 293
  • d may 11 2002.jpg
    d may 11 2002.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 291
  • e may 11 2002.jpg
    e may 11 2002.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 357
  • f may 11 2002.jpg
    f may 11 2002.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
beautiful pictures Sqidgy.
I would love to attend the tulip festival some day. I read that it was the late Queen Juliana who began sending tulips to Ottawa every year. And in an important way she was responsible for what has now evolved into the largest tulip festival in the world.
Such a beautiful gift from the Dutch royal family and the Dutch people.

Last edited:
~*~Humera~*~ said:
beautiful pictures Sqidgy.
I would love to attend the tulip festival some day. I read that it was the late Queen Juliana who began sending tulips to Ottawa every year. And in an important way she was responsible for what has now evolved into the largest tulip festival in the world.
Such a beautiful gift from the Dutch royal family and the Dutch people.

It was such a lovely idea for a gift wasn't it? And it's nice that is has continued and sort of taken on a life of its own. Humera, I hope some day you can come to Ottawa when all the tulips are out - it is such a beautiful site!

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Thanks you lots Squidgy.It does seem very cold in Canada now?

It's probably not as nice here in Canada as the weather you would be having in Australia right now, but it's not too bad. Actually the last 4 days have been unseasonably warm (22 to 27 degrees), but usually our average temp this time of year is mid to high teens.

It would be nice if the weather would stay warm for Margriet & Pieter's visit, but I heard that things will be cooling down starting tonight. So it's back to wearing a jacket again! :)

... yesterday Margriet & Pieter's trip to Montreal got off to a rather funny start, when Margriet was given an exceptionally warm welcome by the Mayor ... I love Pieter's quip about the incident ...

From the Montreal Gazette:

Mayor's royal faux pas
Peck on princess pushes protocol

ALAN HUSTAK The Gazette
Wednesday, May 11, 2005

210761-70871.jpg

CREDIT: ALLEN MCINNIS, THE GAZETTE
Princess Margriet of the Netherlands gets a two-cheek kiss from Mayor Gerald Tremblay at city hall yesterday. A royal spokesperson said the princess was not upset by the social gaffe.
spacer.gif

Mayor Gerald Tremblay welcomed Princess Margriet of the Netherlands to Montreal yesterday with an affectionate two-cheek kiss.

But bussing royalty is a no-no, according to Canadian protocol officials, and there were gasps as the mayor planted his kisses on the princess.

Princess Margriet was obviously taken aback by the spontaneous gesture.

After signing the city's gold register, Princess Margriet quickly left the reception room, forgetting to deliver her prepared address in reply to the mayor.

Seconds later, she came back into the room, a little flustered, with speech in hand. Her husband, Pieter van Vollenhoven, defused what might have been an embarrassing situation with a good-natured quip.

"You start all this kissing, it's easy for her to forget what she has to do," he said with a smile.

Once she finished speaking, the princess politely returned the mayor's kiss.

Later, Tremblay denied he had done anything wrong.

"It happened. This is Montreal! It was fantastic. She didn't mind. She kissed me, too," Tremblay said.

Royal spokesperson Hans Kemp told The Gazette: "I don't know if she was amused, but I can tell you Her Highness was not upset. She definitely was not upset."

One official with the Dutch entourage refused to say the mayor had made a gaffe. "To say that it was a breach of protocol would embarrass the person who may have breached protocol - and that, of course, would be a breach of protocol."

Others travelling with the princess and her husband said that while the kiss was "unusual," Dutch royalty is generally more relaxed about these things than other royal households.

The incident was reminiscent of one four years ago when then heritage minister Sheila Copps was pilloried after she kissed Prince Charles on the cheek, and then babbled, "Hey, how are ya?" To his credit, the prince did not seem to take offence.

Princess Margriet was equally gracious. The Ottawa-born princess began a two-day visit to the city yesterday designed to honour Canadian servicemen for their role in the liberation of the Netherlands 60 years ago.

"For many veterans, it has not been possible to join the extensive and moving celebrations in our country," the princess said. "My visit to Canada is intended to involve them in our celebrations and to express our everlasting gratitude."

Princess Margriet was born in Ottawa in January 1943, where her mother, Queen Juliana, spent five years in exile during the Second World War. So that Margriet would retain her royal status, the federal government declared the delivery room in Ottawa's civic hospital Dutch territory and flew the Dutch flag from the Peace Tower so the princess would be a Dutch national. She spent the first five years of her life growing up in Stornaway, which today is the residence of the federal opposition leader.

Yesterday, the princess inaugurated an exhibition, Dutch Prints and Drawings from the Golden Age, 1580-1660, at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts. Among the artists represented are Berchem, Adriaen von Ostade and Rembrandt.

She ended her day with a reception last evening for about 300 invited guests aboard the Dutch frigate HNLMS Tromp.

This morning, Princess Margriet will sit in on a symposium at the McGill University faculty club. A nurse by profession, she will then visit the Ste. Anne's veterans hospital.

Later, she'll inaugurate an Anne Frank exhibition at the Frontenac Maison de la Culture before going on to Ottawa to continue her tour.

ahustak@thegazette.canwest.com

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2005​

Last edited:
Margriet & Pieter at the premiere Canadian performance of the Het Nationale Ballet last night ...

Photo from Ottawa Citizen

Attachments

• Ballet Ottawa.jpg
    Ballet Ottawa.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 302
Wow. I didn't expect for Prince Floris and his fiancee to have accompanied Princess Margriet and her husband to Canada.

agisele said:
Wow. I didn't expect for Prince Floris and his fiancee to have accompanied Princess Margriet and her husband to Canada.

Agisele, Prince Floris is not in Canada with his parents. I think you are referring to the picture I posted on May 8th. That was taken in Apeldoorn, Netherlands, not in Canada. Every 5 years, the people of Apeldoorn have a parade to thank their Canadian liberators. Prince Floris quite often attends (along with his parents) I think because the Royal Canadian Legion is one of his godfathers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom