Princess Margarita & Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn, News 1 (February 2003-February 2008)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a mess! Doesn't he realize he has no sense of credibility? Oh, I am sorry...of course he doesnt. He is not a rational being. I am sure Margarita is ruing the day she met and married the man! He is like a bad penny.

The article in dutch (provided by Joris on the Benelux royals MB):

http://www.propriacures.nl/archief.php?artikelid=500

I have read the article and am completely unimpressed.

The fake baron points his arrows first at the biographer of Queen Wilhelmina (Professor Cees Fasseur). According to de Roy the professor claims he could write in all liberty about the RF but Edwin claims that The Queen made him change several passages. Not to shocking IMO, and Edwin gives no other evidence the that he heard this from his wife.

The he goes on about the refusal of the goverment to open the files on the constitutional crisis whiaround faithhealer Greet Hofmans. According to Edwin Prince Bernhard created this as an hoax, to cover up 3 letters of himself that he wrote to Himmler and Hitler in 1942. Again, Edwin has no other sources then ´my wife told me´. He gives no insight about what was written in those letters though.

-

A terribly weak article, not worth the paper on which it is printed IMO, no evidence whatsoever! I am also annoyed by the language Edwin uses, he goes out of his way to use as many ´difficult´ words and intelligent sentenses as possible, so he can appear clever. IMO it only makes the article tedious to read and shows that he is a snob (my professors would definately make me change something like this).

The fake baron doesn´t use ANY evidence or sources (other then his wife, who of course will deny this all) and uses the foornotes not to show where he got the information but to enlighten us that he is related to the wife of professor Fasseur.

Also creepy: he talks about ´my wife´ all the time.

I just saw the 8 o´ clock news, apparently the police is looking for him due to something Margarita reported to them. It has nothing to do with the tapes he is supposed to have stolen or other things related to the other members of the RF, it is strictly personal.

He has to report before monday, otherwise he will be arrested.

Time for a new thread, which can be found here

Thank you all that provided news, information and thoughts to this thread.

According to SBS6 programme ´shownews´ sombody has broken into the car of Edwin de Roy van Zuydenwijn today. They showed video images of an old white shabby Volkswagon with a smashed-in window. The car was parked in front of the house oif his mother. The programme said they did not know if anything was stolen from the car.

This events after their divorce would be funny if they weren't so sad.

Why doesn't this man just move on. No one in the royal family would bother him. Its really rather pathetic.

God, they still doing that:wacko: When does it end? :bang:

'De Telegraaf' opened with the headline 'De Roy ruins princess'

Apparently Princess Margarita is fnancially ruined by her husband. According to the article the couple loaned 230.000 euros for their wedding and the castle in France that they owned was completely covered by a morgage of 1.2 million euros. According to the newspaper in 2001 she still owned 800.000 euros, and now almost nothing is left. The couple also still have a debt at Van Lanschot Bankers of 800.000 euros.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/49995591/De_Roy_ruïneert_prinses.html?p=3,1

Marengo said:
'De Telegraaf' opened with the headline 'De Roy ruins princess'

Apparently Princess Margarita is fnancially ruined by her husband. According to the article the couple loaned 230.000 euros for their wedding and the castle in France that they owned was completely covered by a morgage of 1.2 million euros. According to the newspaper in 2001 she still owned 800.000 euros, and now almost nothing is left. The couple also still have a debt at Van Lanschot Bankers of 800.000 euros.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/49995591/De_Roy_ruïneert_prinses.html?p=3,1

Can't say I'm terribly surprised..I suspect however that the bulk of that money went to the heaps of lawyers they employed during their quixotic fight against the DRF..

Frankly, I don't only think de Roy is an idiot, but, his ex (?) wife also deserves part of the blame, for letting him get away with all this. Ugh what a mess.

Fellow poster Lucien posted this information at the Benelux Royals MB. As it wasn't reposted here I took the liberty of doing that:

'[Court will rule the divorce case of Princess Margarita and EdRvZ on november 8th.Mid january the whole case has to be settled,the whom gets what and why not......
source:Eenvandaag. '

Marengo said:
Fellow poster Lucien posted this information at the Benelux Royals MB. As it wasn't reposted here I took the liberty of doing that:

'[Court will rule the divorce case of Princess Margarita and EdRvZ on november 8th.Mid january the whole case has to be settled,the whom gets what and why not......
source:Eenvandaag. '

Finally, that was about time. Maybe this will shut him up...:ermm:
Sorry for me putting this so bluntly, but this de Roy guy is really tiresome... he get's way too much attention, imo...

EdRvZ completely ruïned

Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn is really completely ruïned. He lives from money provided by family and friends and has to hide for lawyers and bailiffs.

He already predicted it: the Netherlands are a democracy, but the Orange-Nassaus not for nothing have succesfully been the premier family since 1403. Their influence is everywhere. According to him it is totally out of fear for the Queen's wrath that no one dares it to employ him, do business with him, etc. He even has no bank account anymore.

Henri M. said:
Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn is really completely ruïned. He lives from money provided by family and friends and has to hide for lawyers and bailiffs.

Well I certainly wouldn't wish ill will on anyone, Edwin's complete and utter ruin is his own doing really. If he is considered totally unemployable, is hiding from lawyers and other court officials, has no bank account or anything else, then it's his own fault for having carried out a vendetta against the Dutch royal family for so many years when it was clear at a certain point that his allegations were completely false. A more sensible person would've dropped the ridiculous crusade against the Queen, Prince Bernhard, Margarita and the rest of the royal family a long time ago.

Henri M. said:
He already predicted it: the Netherlands are a democracy, but the Orange-Nassaus not for nothing have succesfully been the premier family since 1403. Their influence is everywhere. According to him it is totally out of fear for the Queen's wrath that no one dares it to employ him, do business with him, etc. He even has no bank account anymore.

Didn't Edwin and Margarita live somewhere in France when this scandal broke out? Can't Edwin go back to France and get a job there? And if his family and friends of his family are wealthy enough to support him financially through this, then why can't one of them get him a job? Or do they not completely trust Edwin, too?

Alexandria said:
Well I certainly wouldn't wish ill will on anyone, Edwin's complete and utter ruin is his own doing really. If he is considered totally unemployable, is hiding from lawyers and other court officials, has no bank account or anything else, then it's his own fault for having carried out a vendetta against the Dutch royal family for so many years when it was clear at a certain point that his allegations were completely false. A more sensible person would've dropped the ridiculous crusade against the Queen, Prince Bernhard, Margarita and the rest of the royal family a long time ago.
I couldn't have said it better, you express my thoughts entirely. If I were DeRoy, I'd go where no one knew my name. Britain? France? Germany? something like that. Thing is though, the guy is so delusional, to me it seems he's bordering on..well..not sure what to call it and I'm not a doctor..but something isn't right with him, mentally. If he can't hold down a job in the Netherlands, he might also run into trouble in whatever country he goes to next. Bottom line: I think he's an idiot and that's why he has the problems he does. It's all pretty sad and tragic if you think about it. :sad:

Quick question though: what is Margarita up to these days, professionally? What is she spending her days doing? Is she working? I read somewhere that at least in terms of men, she's moved on & has a new boyfriend. Anyone know more about this?

Interesting in the 'Margarita-affair'

I understand that all the attention is on 'poor sheep Margarita' and 'brutal wolf Edwin'. Sensation, scandal, etc.

But THE most interesting thing of the whole affair was that a complete machinery of state went into working, totally without any knowledge of the responsible ministers and initiated by the royal court.

It is often said that Queen Beatrix is a powerful monarch. However her formal power is pretty limited by the constitution. But her informal power, something which is very hard to categorize in words, is totally outshining her formal power. The 'Margarita-affair' shockingly brought it to the surface.

The director of the Kabinet der Koningin (the Queen's Cabinet Office) asked the director of the General Intelligence- and Security Service to investigate Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn.

Then the General Intelligence- and Security Service made telephone taps, intercepted letters to and from Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn. They asked for the cooperation of the Royal- and Diplomatic Protection Service, from the Amsterdam Police Corps, from the Amsterdam social security service, from the Tax Revenue Service, they asked for cooperation from the Queen's Treasurer (who also manages Princess Margarita's finances) and they requested banks, companies and other institutions to provide information.

All these institutions, services, departments and companies were immediately willing to cooperate. No one, I repeat: no one, dared it to refuse cooperation because there was no any proper ground for these deep examinations and violation of citizen's rights and privacy.

Then a thick report was made. Top secret. And who was given -unlawfully- insight in this report?
Grandfather Prince Bernhard...
Father the Duke of Parma (not even a Dutchman)...
Brother Prince Carlos...

Thát was the shocking revelation of the whole affair: that a certain lady named Q.B. can raise her eyebrows in her cabinet at Noordeinde Palace and immediately a giant machinery sets itself in movement to fullfil her requests.

In the meantime the premier and the minister of the Interior conscientuously answered Parliament: "No, there are no investigations to mr. De Roy van Zuydewijn..."

That was the shocking revelation. That such a formidable power came to the surface and became visible for all Dutchmen.

Are you really shocked by finding out the Queen has this power? I have always thought she's a very strong headed lady, who can be lovely at times as long as she gets her way. Don't get me wrong, I like her very much and think she's a great Queen, but I'm totally not surprised by her mingling in some business the Dutch people aren't aware of, especially when it comes to business concerning her family. I mean, don't we all? When there's a problem in a family, most of us start covering up things and checking people out in all kinds of ways. She just has more powerful instruments at hand than most of us do.

Well, it came to the surface, that's true. But I always had this feeling that the power was already there, so the revelations of the couple did not really surprise me... :ermm:

That's why I find Edwin so totally and utterly annoying, btw. He's not telling me something which makes me go 'Eeek!' or 'Whaaat?!' He's just telling utter nonsense and if I want to hear utter nonsense, I just turn on my tv and I get loads of that... :flowers:

Let us be realistic here. What 'power' are we speaking of? Opening a few records of the public service of Amsterdam? Sure, it wasn't their right to see them & measures should be taken to avoid repetition, but to say that it was shocking and showing how much power the Queen has is a bit to much (as in the words are to strong) IMO.

To say how the RF has ruined Edwin is a bit dubious to, at the very least. I think Edwin did most of the damage to Edwin. If he wouldn't have been so completely delusional the serious press would have taken up his pledge much more fervently then they are doing now. Having that said, I wouldn't be surprised if some in the RF or their network is working against Edwin dRvZ, but as I said, most damage has been done by himself in all these interviews (where he seemed a mentally disturbed person).

-

To awnser Olga: I sometimes see pictures of Masrgarita in the boulevard press. She has a new relationship now but tries to stay in the background. She is accepted back in the family on public events (how far the wounds are healed and how far it is about PR we do not know). She is probably still working as an interior decorator, as she did before and during her marriage, no new information about that has been released.

princess olga said:
I couldn't have said it better, you express my thoughts entirely. If I were DeRoy, I'd go where no one knew my name. Britain? France? Germany? something like that. Thing is though, the guy is so delusional, to me it seems he's bordering on..well..not sure what to call it and I'm not a doctor..but something isn't right with him, mentally. If he can't hold down a job in the Netherlands, he might also run into trouble in whatever country he goes to next. Bottom line: I think he's an idiot and that's why he has the problems he does. It's all pretty sad and tragic if you think about it. :sad:

I know what you mean about Edwin's mental state. I am certainly no doctor either and certainly a few courses in abnormal psychology in university doesn't mean that I'm qualified to diagnose Edwin medically (;)) but there is definitely wrong and mentally unstable about him. At the same time however I think he holds a certain power in that he was able to completely manipulate Margarita and isolate her so completely from her family and get her to turn against her own family with his misconceptions. He is in the least, for a lack of an official medical diagnosis, delusional.

I think his problem is that he can't hold a job. Either he doesn't want to work (he's bored, feels superior above being bossed around by someone else, etc.) or can't get a job because of some alleged stronghold that Beatrix has put out against any company hiring him, I think he is the kind of person who will always blame others for his failures and he'll never accept responsibility for his own actions.

The excuses are never ending with this guy:
>>He can't get hired in any position in the Netherlands because Beatrix has ruined his reputation.

>>His marriage failed because the royal family never liked him and they turned Margarita against him.

>>The royal family was spying on him because they were jealous of him and knew that he had controversial information on them.

Marengo said:
To say how the RF has ruined Edwin is a bit dubious to, at the very least. I think Edwin did most of the damage to Edwin. If he wouldn't have been so completely delusional the serious press would have taken up his pledge much more fervently then they are doing now. Having that said, I wouldn't be surprised if some in the RF or their network is working against Edwin dRvZ, but as I said, most damage has been done by himself in all these interviews (where he seemed a mentally disturbed person).

I agree. In the end, even if Beatrix, Bernhard, or other members of the royal family played some part in his ultimate ruin, he was the one who started the ball rolling. Why would any of them have started up any machine against him, investigating him to such lengths if he hadn't done something to challenge them? More than 8 years after the marriages of Marilene van de Broek and Annette Skevre (spelling, sorry!) to Princess Margriet's eldest sons nothing has ruined them even if there was a possible initial investigation before they joined the royal family. Why? Because they didn't rock the boat in the royal family in such a manner that would require the family patriarch (Bernhard) and matriarch (Beatrix) defending themselves against such accusations.

Even after the whole scandal with Mabel, three years and two daughters later Mabel is relatively unaffected. No one has tried to ruin her. She has carried on with her job and her life in London.

The damage could have been lessened for Edwin however had he not persisted in this vendetta. Had he dropped the matters after Margarita left him. But he didn't; he continued to spread stories about the family and about why Margarita left him.

Excellent post Alexandria. The reason that Margarita left him though was revealed when some of the divorce papers (or drafts?) were stolen from the car of the Princess: abuse. It didn''t say if the abuse was mental or physical (neither did it say that the abuse was proven, it was Margarita's version of the story).

He seems to enjoy blaming others for his hardship, and though up to a point they are probably responsible for some of it (the RF never gave him a warm welcome), most of it is his own responsibility.

The patriarch (Bernhard) researched Edwin before his marriage to Margarita, before anything was 'wrong' so to say. From what I have read Bernhard didn't have any reason to do that, apart from that he wanted to find out what kind of guy his granddaughter would be marrying. It was just abuse of power, which has been corrected.

- Funny how the guy allows himself to be used by some staunch republicans btw. He is a loose cannon, then claiming Wilhelmina's maternity (!), Bernhard & Juliana's letters to Nazi's (without proof) etc etc. I fear we will get more of that in the future, but is losing much of his 'podium', not to many reporters take him seriously.

Marengo said:
but is losing much of his 'podium', not to many reporters take him seriously.

I think that part of the reason Edwin had any such podium in the first place was because at the time he started his long and vengeful campaign against the Dutch royal family, there was nothing much going on with the royal family. It was pretty much business as usual and that is boring for the media.

Maxima and Laurentien were relatively new on the scene and Maxima fever wasn't quite at its height yet. Mabel-gate was years down the line. No cute kids like Amalia, Alexia, Eloise, Claus-Casimir or Leonor, Luana or Zaria to steal the spotlight and make everyone ooh and aah. Prince Bernhard was still fairly active with royal activities while Queen Juliana was out of the spotlight in what would be her final years. Margriet and Pieter van Vollenhoven and their sons were as stable as could be, no marital scandals with Maurits and Marilene or Bernhard Jr. and Annette and no playboy escapades by Pieter-Christiaan or Floris. Christina's kids were so far away from the spotlight, as were Irene's other kids. Even Carlos Jr. having a child out of wedlock didn't raise many eyebrows.

But then along came Edwin with his stories and his accusations. Margarita, the Queen's own niece (and her godmother, too, I think) was agreeing with these things (eg. the Queen's sons cursing and giving the finger to the media or the public at a Queensday event), which only added some salaciousness to the whole ordeal with the added factor of family betrayal.

Were Edwin coming to the media at this point in time with the Prince and Princess of Orange having two adorable daughters and another one on the way, or in the post-Mabel-gate royal family, and an anti-paparazzi policy by the royal family (organized photo shoots rather than catching the royals in private moments such as the Crown Princely family in Italy or Marilene nursing her youngest daughter in a private garden), I think he wouldn't have been given as much coverage. There would've been some coverage for sure because it is controversial, but not to the extent and for the length of time this matter has received.

Marengo said:
-

To awnser Olga: I sometimes see pictures of Masrgarita in the boulevard press. She has a new relationship now but tries to stay in the background. She is accepted back in the family on public events (how far the wounds are healed and how far it is about PR we do not know). She is probably still working as an interior decorator, as she did before and during her marriage, no new information about that has been released.
Thanks for the answer: I didn't realize Margarita's an interior decorator! I thought she was active in the field she majored in, antropology if I'm not mistaken. But perhaps I'm confused with her sister Maria Carolina on this one.

Henri M. said:
I understand that all the attention is on 'poor sheep Margarita' and 'brutal wolf Edwin'. Sensation, scandal, etc.

But THE most interesting thing of the whole affair was that a complete machinery of state went into working, totally without any knowledge of the responsible ministers and initiated by the royal court.

It is often said that Queen Beatrix is a powerful monarch. However her formal power is pretty limited by the constitution. But her informal power, something which is very hard to categorize in words, is totally outshining her formal power. The 'Margarita-affair' shockingly brought it to the surface.

The director of the Kabinet der Koningin (the Queen's Cabinet Office) asked the director of the General Intelligence- and Security Service to investigate Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn.

[..]That was the shocking revelation. That such a formidable power came to the surface and became visible for all Dutchmen.
Well I guess Beatrix's power as a monarch is food for thought for an entire thread really, but since imo it is relevant to the Edwin story, I'll comment a bit on it here.

For one thing I don't think that Beatrix was the one initiating the investigation into Edwin. Why on the planet would she have?

First of, Henri M., I disagree on one thing: she does NOT have that kind of power behind the scenes that you mention. I just don't buy that behind the scenes, she would act like a Dutch kindof Stazi, investigating people who don't please her personally. Come on. I mean, let's not get into Edwin's delusional line of thinking here: he's such a conspiracy theorist, if it were up to him, he'd get it into his head & have us believe that, say, Beatrix plotted with, say, George W. Bush, the Pope and Elvis (didn't you hear? He's still alive ;)) on a plot to have him, Edwin, 'taken care of', mafia style.

I'd like to think that Beatrix would have better things to do than plot against an obvious idiot such as Edwin de Roy.

As for her formal power, she does have a bit more power, than, say, Elizabeth of England. Why? For one, because till this day, all mayors of all towns in the Netherlands and all governers of all the provinces in that country are NOT elected directly by the people, but appointed by the queen instead (admittedly the candidates are typically suggested by elected officials). This means that de facto, these appointees only are accountable to the queen only, and not to the people.

THis is all fine and good, but if one claims, as the Netherlands does, that you are a real democracy, this is one area where a lot of (foreign as well as Dutch domestic) eyebrows are raised over. ARe you really a democracy if you cannot even elect the mayor of your own town? Who, instead, is appointed by the monarch, a person BORN into the position, not chosen by the people?
This is how it could happen that a new mayor of the Dutch capital, Amsterdam, was an ex-boyfriend of the queen (albeit of course one from her pre-Claus days), who was living in the Hague at the time of his appointment as mayor of Amsterdam, and, mind you, he refused to move to Amsterdam despite the fact he'd been appointed as mayor! (though he later did, because of protests)

Ok, what does this have to do with Edwin de Roy van Z.?
That he does have a point when he says that the Dutch queen has powers that a reasonable democracy wouldn't want to give a non-elected monarch. But that's it.

All the same, I don't agree with him that there is some sort of conspiracy going on, on the contrary. I think that although Edwin had some strings on his bow (or whatever the expression is!) in terms of the Dutch monarchy, he's completely delusional about so many of the things he's contended over the years, that no one, indeed, takes him seriously any more. He is a fantasist on so many levels and the problem is (for himself) that he really seems to believe what he claims.

It is hard to believe, for me, that he brainwashed Margarita the way he managed to do. But I guess people are suckers for conspiracy theories, even when these theories are totally 'out there' and regard the members of one's own family.

The Queen's Command Is My Wish

It is not about Queen Beatrix raising her eyebrow and trying to use her influence to protect of benefitting her family. We all do.

The surprising thing is that no any service stuttered or hesistated in fullfilling the requests done by the Queen's Cabinet Office:

Januari 2000
The director of the Queen's Cabinet Office asks the director of the General Intelligence- and Security Service to investigate Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn. According to the Queen's Cabinet Office there are open questions about his integrity.
No permission was asked neither to the Premier (responsible for the Queen's Cabinet Office) nor to the Minister of the Interior (responsible for the General Intelligence- and Security Service).

Spring 2000
The General Intelligence- and Security Service concludes that there are 'serious suspicions' that the security or the integrity of members of the Royal House can become endangered. The General Intelligence- and Information Service decides to do furtherer investigation in the municipal administration, the archives of the Amsterdam social service, the Land Registry Office and the Tax Revenue Service.
No permission was asked neither to the Minister of the Interior (responsible for the General Intelligence- and Security Service) nor to the Minister of Finances (responsible for the Land Registry Office and the Tax Revenue Service).

Summer 2000
The Director of the Queen's Cabinet Office is informed by the Director of the General Intelligence- and Security Service. The report is confidential and should not be open for other non-authorized persons. Despite this, the Director of the Queen's Cabinet Office informs The Duke of Parma (Princess Margarita's father) and Prince Carlos de Bourbon de Parme (Princess Margarita's eldest brother) about the facts and findings of the investigation. Later also a copy was given to Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands (grandfather of Princess Margarita).
No permission was asked neither to the Premier (responsible for the Queen's Cabinet Office) nor to the Minister of the Interior (responsible for the General Intelligence- and Security Service) to 'leak' this confidential information to non-authorized persons.

Summer 2000
The Duke of Parma invites his daughter Princess Margarita and her friend and confronts them with the facts and findings of the investigation. Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn explodes about this 'brutal abuse of power' and the estrangement and war between The Duke and his daughter (and her friend) is a fact. The Duke lets his daughter know that he will do everything possible to obstruct their relationship. (They were not engaged yet).

November 2000
Because of the more and more apparent intentions of Princess Margarita and Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn to engage in a marriage, the director of the General Intelligence- and Security Service asks the director of the Royal- and Diplomatic Protection Service to start an own investigation. All possible administrative data are researched. The investigation did not learn new substantial facts and findings.
No permission was asked neither to the Minister of the Interior (responsible for the General Intelligence- and Security Service) nor to the Minister of Justice (responsible for the Royal- and Diplomatic Protection Service).

16 December 2000
Princess Margarita and Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn organize a diner to announce their engagement. From the Royal House no one did attend. Reason: suddenly at the same day the announcement was made of the engagment of Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands with miss Petra Laurentien Brinkhorst. (Coincident or done with intention? In this Princess Margarita and Edwin saw the first act of real obstruction from the side of the Royal House). The Duke of Parma boycotted the engagement diner of his daughter but visited his nephew Prince Constantijn and his fiancée...

21 February 2001
According Princess Margarita and Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn, mrs Annemiek Rade, the particulier secretaresse of Princess Irene and her children, confessed that she was asked by the director of the Queen's Cabinet Office to make copies of their particulier post and send it to him. (Later mrs. Annemiek Rade did deny any of such a 'confession'.)

28 Februari 2001
Princess Margarita and her fiancée asks for the help of the National Ombudsman and the director of the State Information Agency: the say to have 'proofs' for being illegally eavesdropped by the State. Later the (new since 2002) Premier Balkenende would declare that there "never was any eavesdropping, observing or following."

22 September 2001
Wedding of Princess Margarita and Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn in Auch (Gascogne, France). The Duke of Parma boycotted the wedding. The Royal House was only represented by Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands.

October 2001
Start of the intensive correspondence between Princess Margarita and Edwin with the Premier, the Minister of the Interior and the Minister of Justice. All ministers denied that there were any state activities deployed concerning them. (Later, to their ashamement the ministers learned that their reply was terribly wrong). Premier Kok also responds negatively on cries for help by the couple. He refusues to mingle with what he labelled as 'private problems at the royal court'.

12 December 2001
The Prince of Orange lets his cousine Princess Margarita and her husband know that he was sorry to let them know that 'given the circumstances' he thought it was 'not opportune' to invite them for his wedding with miss Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti.

January 2002
The business tax correspondence from Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn's company was send by the director of the Tax Revenue Service to the Queen's Treasurer at Noordeinde Palace. According to the later Premier Balkenende this happened because the mail was undeliverable because Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn had not informed the Tax Revenue Service about his new address. The Queen's Treasurer opened Edwin's business tax correspondence because the name (Fincentives BV) was unknown to him. On March 27th 2002 Edwin's correct address was entered into the administration of the Tax Revenue Service.

31 January 2002
Princess Margarita and her husband were not invited for the grand Wedding Ball at the Royal Palace in Amsterdam, attended by world royalty and the Gotha. It was also Queen Beatrix' birthday (she is not only an aunt but also a godmother of Princess Margarita).

1 February 2002
Princess Margarita and her husband were not invited for any of the lavish festivities in the framework of The Wedding.

2 February 2002
The Wedding in Amsterdam. Priness Margarita and her husband were noted absentees. During the broadcast (with 90% ratings) the royal correspondent Maartje van Weegen publicly stated that the couple had serious financial problems and therefore were absent.

October 2002
Funeral of Prince Claus of the Netherlands. According to the couple it was Princess Irene who requested them to stay away, which was a direct request of the Queen.

February 2003
The war breaks out. In a joint interview with the Dutch abd German current affairs magazines HP/De Tijd and Der Stern, the couples uttered serious blames towards Queen Beatrix and the royal family for gross abuse of their power. Later that day the Royal House issued a communiqué stating that 'they do not recognize themselves in the depicted image' and will remain silent 'out of love for Princess Margarita'

All this shows a shocking lack by all administrative institutions to respect the law. Instead they crawl themselves in all impossible corners to serve Her Majesty. The old adagium 'The Queen's Command Is My Wish' seems shockingly apparent in the Netherlands anno 2000....

Last edited:
To put my two cents to this never-ending story:
I agree with you Edwin seems to have some mental problems, he surely didn’t treat Margarita right and he acts like a foul sometimes.

But on the other hand I absolutely agree with HenriM. Beatrix definitively committed malpractice and her behaviour is in contradictory to democratic standards. I wouldn’t wipe this away as a petitesse. As a citizen of a republic I’m pretty sure that my head of state has to leave his/her position if he/she behaves like this. The way Beatrix handled the causa de Roy van Zuydewijn is very antiquated and I would prefer more transparency when it comes to her formal and informal power.

And I’m sure that Edwin is completely ruined and has little chances to get back into the Dutch society. He, like anyone else has the right to freedom of movement and residence. And if he wants to live in his home country he is entitled to do so. I’m under the impression (and I might be wrong) that the Dutch society is dominated by a few families who are immense powerful and I can imagine that Edwin became acquainted to this in all its consequences. I can understand that he is harmed and angry. (Side note: This does certainly not imply that I give sanction to his actions).

The involvement (and knowledge) of The Queen in any of this has never been proven and is denied by the Prime Minister. There was abuse of power, but that was by the head of the cabinet of the Queen, Mr. Felix Rhodius and by Prince Bernhard, the Duke of Parma etc. Not by HM. That is the official version, some of us might suspect that it isn't true, but that is only speculation. Officially the Queen did not make abuse of her 'power'.

-

The dutch society is one of the most equalitarian in the world. But of course there are families/ groups that set the tone, of which most of us are unaware (and the extent of their alleged power can only be guessed). I do not think that that is the main reason why Edwin can not find a job in The Netherlands now btw, for example I wouldn't hire him even to fry french frites at Mc Donalds, neither would most dutchmen.

-
Thank you Henri for creating a (most informative) overview of this mess, I think most people lost track a while ago already.

Henri M. said:
Summer 2000
The Director of the Queen's Cabinet Office is informed by the Director of the General Intelligence- and Security Service. The report is confidential and should not be open for other non-authorized persons. Despite this, the Director of the Queen's Cabinet Office informs The Duke of Parma (Princess Margarita's father) and Prince Carlos de Bourbon de Parme (Princess Margarita's eldest brother) about the facts and findings of the investigation. Later also a copy was given to Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands (grandfather of Princess Margarita).
No permission was asked neither to the Premier (responsible for the Queen's Cabinet Office) nor to the Minister of the Interior (responsible for the General Intelligence- and Security Service) to 'leak' this confidential information to non-authorized persons.

Summer 2000
The Duke of Parma invites his daughter Princess Margarita and her friend and confronts them with the facts and findings of the investigation. Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn explodes about this 'brutal abuse of power' and the estrangement and war between The Duke and his daughter (and her friend) is a fact. The Duke lets his daughter know that he will do everything possible to obstruct their relationship. (They were not engaged yet).

I have two questions:
1) I can see why a copy of this report was given to Margarita's father and later her grandfather, but why to her eldest brother? And not to say Irene or her other siblings, Jamie or Maria-Carolina? If they were hoping that another member of her family might influence her and talk her out of the relationship, wouldn't her twin have been a better choice? Or does she have a closer relationship with Carlos?

2) And where was Princess Irene in all this? As I recall, when Margarita and Edwin finally did marry, Irene (begrudginly) attended the wedding but few other members of Margarita's family attended (just either Carlos or Jamie, or both is all I remember seeing pictures of), and as Henri M. said, Constantijn and Laurentien from the Queen's family. But no members of Christina or Margriet's families attended.

I find it ironic that in some ways that the choice of husbands by Margarita and her mother caused some (temporary) fractures between them and their families. The choice of the Duke of Parma as a husband for Irene was not welcomed either at the time and no members of her immediate family attended her wedding in Rome either. It's an ironic case of history repeating itself. (I don't think however that Edwin can expect to ever be invited to family functions as the Duke of Parma is occasionally.)

The Premier responded in the Chamber on similar questions about the involvement of the Duke of Parma, Prince Carlos and later Prince Bernhard. This was absolutely wrong, so agreed the Premier, because when the Intelligence Service is making a report about an individual, they will not discuss it either with his/her parents or siblings.

Note that all these actions were done without the knowledge of the politically accountable ministers. (That was the most shocking of all: that no one of the top-officials did inform their bosses).

The Premier stated that it was done by the director of the Queen's Cabinet Office, with the best intention, because he saw no other 'elegant' way to discuss the facts and findings of this report than with her father, the Duke of Parma. He hoped that her father could discuss all this in the family-sphere with Princess Margarita and Edwin. Prince Bernhard's role is unclear. But he has a very thick finger in the Intelligence Services (he himself has set these up after WWII) since his decades as Inspector-General of the Armed Forces. The involvement of Prince Carlos maybe is because he is the future head of the House and they hoped to confront Princess Margarita with all this and to give up Edwin.

The role of mother Princess Irene is most unclear. She seems to have had a period of ultimate coldness with her eldest daughter.

And the absence of the royal family in Rome had nothing to do with any dislike of don Carlos-Hugo de Borbón-Parma y de Borbón but everything with the refusal of the Netherlands Government to support the Carlist' pretender. At all costs the Government wanted to prevent that the Queen, who is a member of Government herself, would given the impression of a royal approval. The Government was aware that the Carlists would use the massive attention this royal wedding generated to promote their dream. The Government did not want to be involved in any struggle with Spain and has always backed don Juan de Borbón (the father of the present King of Spain).

That was the reason of the royal family's absence. For the rest don Carlos-Hugo found a warm welcome in Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard. Still today the Duke is a regular guest at all major events in the royal family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom