Princess Máxima, Current Events 6 (March 2008 - October 2009)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find this hat so ridiculous. It's really awful, IMO.
I prefer when princesses present themselves in a more discrete way (like Máxima does many times), after all they are to call the main attention to the event itself, not to themselves.

There is no doubt about it she has to be the center of attention wherever she goes. She cannot make it any more obvious. Horrible look. Way over done for a daytime outing.
She should be the center of attention. No one is there just to see a new tugboat. They are there to see Princess Maxima. Earrings are awesome!!! Imo only, :D no need to offend!

Well, she's clearly on a pink/red kick. Outfit aside, she looks like she is having a great time, and her smile is absolutely beautiful. She makes every royal visit look like it is the most fun event in the world, which is lovely to see.

Having a great time? Well, honestly, in my opinion Maxima appears here ANP Beeldbank a bit eccentric.

Having fun is one thing, taking things seriously is another. Often - not always - she appears to me too showy, too superficial, too exalted. Remember Maxima in the car on the way to Charles' birthday party? And then every now and then you see a picture where she is clearly upset (like during the stay in Southern America prior to Antarctica royals.web-log.nl: Royale activiteiten scroll down close to bottom). My personal impression: lack of self-control together with the need to take center stage - and that's no good combination for a crown princess or any princess.

I'd rather see someone like the Princess Royal, serious and diligent and enduring.

All my personal opinion of course, I could also be wrong.:flowers:

Having a great time? Well, honestly, in my opinion Maxima appears here ANP Beeldbank a bit eccentric.

Having fun is one thing, taking things seriously is another. Often - not always - she appears to me too showy, too superficial, too exalted. Remember Maxima in the car on the way to Charles' birthday party? And then every now and then you see a picture where she is clearly upset (like during the stay in Southern America prior to Antarctica royals.web-log.nl: Royale activiteiten scroll down close to bottom). My personal impression: lack of self-control together with the need to take center stage - and that's no good combination for a crown princess or any princess.

I'd rather see someone like the Princess Royal, serious and diligent and enduring.

All my personal opinion of course, I could also be wrong.:flowers:

The photos in the car going to Charles' birthday blew me away. She turned her body into the car window so everyone could get her picture. Everyone else going in was a side view. Maxima almost full face. She knows what she is doing. She wants the spotlight, she is going to get it regardless of what she has to do. I can imagine her being very loud at times. You can almost see it in some of her pictures. I don't know my personal opinion only. Just not impressed with her like I was at first. Just keeps getting worse for me.

She is who she is. She is by birth latina, and that is one of the reasons that she is so well loved in the Netherlands. She is flamboyant, but lovingly so, and it is all part of her personality.

I doubt seriously that what some take as a need to be in the spot light at all times, is that at all, but just a reflection of who she is. She is a charmigly human Crown Princess, who let's her own personality shine, but is respectful in doing so. While we might not always agree with her fashion sense, the great majority of the Dutch love her despite her periodic fashion faux pas.

And I would like to see anyone who is always "on" and perfectly presentable. It's nice to see that she has her off days as well, but I think that she fulfills her role admirably while still staying true to herself. It works, and it works in the Netherlands, and that is the only place that it has to work. She has managed to combine herself and her duties well I believe.

She is who she is. She is by birth latina, and that is one of the reasons that she is so well loved in the Netherlands. She is flamboyant, but lovingly so, and it is all part of her personality.

I doubt seriously that what some take as a need to be in the spot light at all times, is that at all, but just a reflection of who she is. She is a charmigly human Crown Princess, who let's her own personality shine, but is respectful in doing so. While we might not always agree with her fashion sense, the great majority of the Dutch love her despite her periodic fashion faux pas.

And I would like to see anyone who is always "on" and perfectly presentable. It's nice to see that she has her off days as well, but I think that she fulfills her role admirably while still staying true to herself. It works, and it works in the Netherlands, and that is the only place that it has to work. She has managed to combine herself and her duties well I believe.

I have to agree Empress. If you ever have the opportunity to see a video of Maxima on duty, her behavior is correct and appropriate. She waves, smiles and interacts with the crowds. Still photos appear to show an over the top and "crazy" lady sometimes.

and who are we to say what a good combination for a princess is? maxima was shown to be a clearly good combination to the dutch people. she is constantly ranked as the most popular member of the royal family, even more than beatrix. i would have thought they wouldn't have placed her there if her attitude was "a bad combination for a princess". what works for the princess royal in britain doesn't need to work for the dutch: in fact, i couldn't probably think of any more different monarchies. even the attitudes of beatrix compared with elizabeth are completely different. however, both seem to work just fine in each country.

The photos in the car going to Charles' birthday blew me away. She turned her body into the car window so everyone could get her picture. Everyone else going in was a side view. Maxima almost full face. She knows what she is doing. She wants the spotlight, she is going to get it regardless of what she has to do. I can imagine her being very loud at times. You can almost see it in some of her pictures. I don't know my personal opinion only. Just not impressed with her like I was at first. Just keeps getting worse for me.

those pictures were probably taken in a millisecond. maxima must have turned too much to see the photographers (which in turn we all appreciated as we could see her make up and hairdo much better as there were no official pics released).

(Shortened) She is who she is. She is by birth latina, and that is one of the reasons that she is so well loved in the Netherlands. She is flamboyant, but lovingly so, and it is all part of her personality.

It works, and it works in the Netherlands, and that is the only place that it has to work. She has managed to combine herself and her duties well I believe.

Empress, you are right of course, first of all it needs to work for the Dutch people. I was just giving my impression of the princess.

and who are we to say what a good combination for a princess is? maxima was shown to be a clearly good combination to the dutch people. she is constantly ranked as the most popular member of the royal family, even more than beatrix. i would have thought they wouldn't have placed her there if her attitude was "a bad combination for a princess". what works for the princess royal in britain doesn't need to work for the dutch: in fact, i couldn't probably think of any more different monarchies. even the attitudes of beatrix compared with elizabeth are completely different. however, both seem to work just fine in each country.

those pictures were probably taken in a millisecond. maxima must have turned too much to see the photographers (which in turn we all appreciated as we could see her make up and hairdo much better as there were no official pics released).

Well, Carlota, I could have also mentioned Annette who appears at least to me less showy, more natural. Unfortunatly though I do not get this much information on her here. She is hardly ever mentioned or covered in German press.

And frankly when it comes to the pics of Charles Birthday I dare to disagree. In all honesty, it is not only this one pic in the car where she is staring at the photographers. Do you remember the other ones of her walking to the car with bare shoulders, no cloak or cape in spite of the freezing temperatures ... who in his right mind would behave like this unless he/she wanted to have photos taken? And this is showy to me. It is not demure or discreet. If the explanation is her origin as Latina. So be it. And no, at least I appreciate a reserved and conservative demeanor more. But then again this my personal preference. Royality IMHO should not be show stars nor behave like them.

But then again, if it works for the Dutch people, so let it be. Just one last thought, I sincerely hope that it works for her, too. Being out there doing so much representation work is certainly not easy. And I for one prefer not to see a charming facade, but a person who is treating her(him)self mindfully (though this might sound a bit therapeutically, what I mean is a person living in balance).

All in all it might take some more time to render a judgement. I am curious to see her in - let's say - 10 years or so. Wonder if she will show the very same personality as today.

I wonder tomorrow this thread will have to be edited to "Queen Máxima current events" :D

what works for the princess royal in britain doesn't need to work for the dutch: in fact, i couldn't probably think of any more different monarchies. even the attitudes of beatrix compared with elizabeth are completely different. however, both seem to work just fine in each country.

Obviously, carlota, but if we are going to think "I won't have a critical opinion about Princess X because the way she is/behaves works perfectly in her country" then what's the use of posting?

Just because Máxima is beloved in The Netherlands, or because Obama is beloved in USA, or because Maria Teresa is beloved in Luxembourg, it doesnt mean they are above critics. I know that most people simply adore the fact that Máxima is always laughing and doing funny faces, but I wonder if all this is really genuine and natural, but that's just the way I see her, of course.
I do like Máxima, and you can be sure that from all other princesses, Máxima would be the only one I would like to meet and talk to because she seems to be talkative, and nice, but from a royal point of view, I would prefer if she was less "jolly good fellow", that's all.

I agree with everything you said, Avicenna.

Anyway, April 30 is coming soon, it will be nice to see the royal family celebrating the Queen's Day again!

She should be the center of attention. No one is there just to see a new tugboat. They are there to see Princess Maxima. Earrings are awesome!!! Imo only, :D no need to offend!

Wherever HRH appears,she is the center of attention,regardless what she's wearing,it doesn't matter,she just radiates such vibrant presence.

http://www.royalpress.nl/categories.php?cat_id=228

courtesy v/d Werf and Nieboer.

Last edited:
Well, Carlota, I could have also mentioned Annette who appears at least to me less showy, more natural. Unfortunatly though I do not get this much information on her here. She is hardly ever mentioned or covered in German press.

And frankly when it comes to the pics of Charles Birthday I dare to disagree. In all honesty, it is not only this one pic in the car where she is staring at the photographers. Do you remember the other ones of her walking to the car with bare shoulders, no cloak or cape in spite of the freezing temperatures ... who in his right mind would behave like this unless he/she wanted to have photos taken? And this is showy to me. It is not demure or discreet. If the explanation is her origin as Latina. So be it. And no, at least I appreciate a reserved and conservative demeanor more. But then again this my personal preference. Royality IMHO should not be show stars nor behave like them.

But then again, if it works for the Dutch people, so let it be. Just one last thought, I sincerely hope that it works for her, too. Being out there doing so much representation work is certainly not easy. And I for one prefer not to see a charming facade, but a person who is treating her(him)self mindfully (though this might sound a bit therapeutically, what I mean is a person living in balance).

All in all it might take some more time to render a judgement. I am curious to see her in - let's say - 10 years or so. Wonder if she will show the very same personality as today.
maxima clearly has a more important role than anette, hence why we get so little information of the von vollenhoven girls in comparison to maxima or laurentien (of whom also we don't get much information). to me, all the dutch princesses are great in their own personalities and show a huge interest to their country, which is really IMO what we should be judging upon.

i must however disagree of the charles' birthday pictures. i doubt maxima brought a coat that day. how was she going to put one on? was she supposed to steal the jacket from her husband? i would have hated that (what lack of glamour to throw a plain men jacket on such a gorgeous dress): the dress was clearly an item to be shown and looked perfect on her - it would have felt so unelegant to hide it under a jacket that is not even hers! if it were me, i would also have loved people to see it - and i believe so will most people. besides, i remember how in this same forum, people were so happy that maxima was pictured full length because no other ladies did so and we still don't know what they looked like.

Obviously, carlota, but if we are going to think "I won't have a critical opinion about Princess X because the way she is/behaves works perfectly in her country" then what's the use of posting?
i think we can judge by taking into account that things are relative. the royal houses of england and the netherlands couldn't be more distant in terms of behaviour. just look at queen elizabeth and queen beatrix. that said, everyone is entitled to think that a certain profile may suit her country better. this is clearly not the case: to the facts i can remit myself - there's tons of polls out there mentioning how liked maxima is. if she is too loud or over the top (which at times i agree, but i like), this seems to have less importance than the other things she does to the dutch people.

Just because Máxima is beloved in The Netherlands, or because Obama is beloved in USA, or because Maria Teresa is beloved in Luxembourg, it doesnt mean they are above critics. I know that most people simply adore the fact that Máxima is always laughing and doing funny faces, but I wonder if all this is really genuine and natural, but that's just the way I see her, of course.
i don't think someone can pull being "not genuine" for 7 or 8 years that maxima has been married to WA and a princess of the netherlands. had she been faking, we would have probably noticed beforehand.

with all this said, i loved maxima's dress today. the coral colour suits her beautifully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Abuelo y abuela arrived earlyer this week!Wonderfull!!
HRH Princess Maxima will celebrate her 38th birthday tomorrow,may 17th.:)

Princess Máxima attended the Home Front Day today organised
for the families and loved ones on missions broad.The Princess
had extensive talks with the families.

HM The Queen attended a Home Front Day earlyer this year.

Het Koninklijk Huis

i wonder how did she celebrated?

Princess Máxima attended the Home Front Day today organised
for the families and loved ones on missions broad.The Princess
had extensive talks with the families.

HM The Queen attended a Home Front Day earlyer this year.

Het Koninklijk Huis

Nice that she went to the day and that her husband recently went to Afghanistan. It is very much appreciated by the soldiers and their families. Some friends of my parents also visited the day as their son has to go to Afghanistan soon, but I don't know if they spoke the princess.

Caption Wassenaar - At a house in Wassenaar, the flag with the orange flag on the anniversary of Princess Maxima. The princess is 38 years Sunday. The princess celebrates her birthday with her husband Crown Prince Willem-Alexander, her daughters, Amalia, Alexia and Ariane and her parents for her birthday from Argentina have come. ANP ROYAL IMAGES ROBIN UTRECHT

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Princess Maxima attended the nomination of 19 female scientists at the University of Groningen.
The scientists will be appointed as Rosalind Franklin Fellow.

PPE Agency

I also hope she had a great birthday party! I'm sorry but I couldn't visit these last days, so I couldn't wish her a HAPPY WELL DESERVED BIRTHDAY!!! _I'm wishing her one right now..hahahaa).VanesaP.S: I 'm not able to let smilies yet...What could be happening?

Last edited:
Princess Máxima turns 38 today(may 17th)

Photoalbum: Reina Máxima - Cumpleaños Maxima

I'm amazed ! What a nice nunch of pics! I've never seen some of them. When Princess Maxima was a toddler she was very similar to her two daughters, Princess Amalia and Princess Alexia...And she even seems to be the twin sister of her own husband, Prince Willem-Alexander! :eek:Vanesa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom