Princess Máxima, Current Events 1 (October 2005 - May 2006)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marengo said:
Funny that these argentine-born and wallonian-born/raised princesses will attend such a reception, about dutch literature...

Yes, I think it's great, I love to see my two favourite princesses together. :) I never would have thought to learn something about my own literature through the forums, by the way. :rolleyes: I should be well informed about the whole Dutch literature thing (it's my major, after all) but I was all like: 'Huh, have they already finished the book?!' I knew they where working on it (soms profs I have in college may have contributed as well, I don't know...) but I didn't realize that it was already finished. Yay, the Royal Forums keep you updated on your own major! How nice is that? Thanks, purple!

Now it's about time I go to the store and buy The history of Dutch literature! But first I have to find a pot of gold... :rolleyes:

Marengo said:
Funny that these argentine-born and wallonian-born/raised princesses will attend such a reception, about dutch literature...

they both bring their fresh passion for the dutch language to this event. they both worked very hard to master the language at a later age.

pollyemma said:
they both bring their fresh passion for the dutch language to this event. they both worked very hard to master the language at a later age.

Do most Belgians learn French and Dutch or do they typcially speak only one of these languages fluently?

California Girl said:
Do most Belgians learn French and Dutch or do they typcially speak only one of these languages fluently?

my impression is that neither walloons nor flemish learn each others languages paricularly well. though i think the flemish do better at learning french than vice versa.

Mathilde was a french speaker and basically had to learn dutch as an adult for her royal role and i think she's fairly typical for most walloons of her generation.

not to annoy the walloons here, but their dutch is either VERY bad or they are to arrogant to use it (according to my flemish relatives -who speak fluently french- it is a combination of the two).

Marengo said:
not to annoy the walloons here, but their dutch is either VERY bad or they are to arrogant to use it (according to my flemish relatives -who speak fluently french- it is a combination of the two).

well, i wasnt going to bring up the arrogance thing but now that you said it....i do think that plays a role:rolleyes:

Maxie said:
Yes, I think it's great, I love to see my two favourite princesses together. :)

i also look really really forward to the visit. maxima and mathilde are also my favourite princesses and i think they do a great duo: they seem to like the same things, are involved in similar things and both take a really active role in their respectives societies. they also seem to have a strong relationship... i read here in the forum that it was belgium where maxima first stayed after the engagement with willem to learn protocol and useful skills for her future role as princess.

carlota said:
i also look really really forward to the visit. maxima and mathilde are also my favourite princesses and i think they do a great duo: they seem to like the same things, are involved in similar things and both take a really active role in their respectives societies. they also seem to have a strong relationship... i read here in the forum that it was belgium where maxima first stayed after the engagement with willem to learn protocol and useful skills for her future role as princess.

after dating WA for about a year she transferred to Deutsche bank's office in Brussels to be closer to him. but she moved to holland finally after the engagement got anounced.

laurentien and constantijn live in brussels right now.

I believe the engagement party for Willem-Alexander and Maxima was held in Belgium as well (in order for the Zorreguietta's to attend without causing more trouble then there already was), which was also attended by Mathilde and Phillipe.

And to Pollyemma: you can judge for yourself if it is arrogance or ignorance when you are moving to Brussels (are you becoming a eurocrat?)...be frim and don't give in to the walloons, go for it! :p ;)

Marengo and pollyemma thank you for your explanations. I know that it is difficult to learn another language as an adult. My attempts at learning Spanish are still stalled at a rather poor level.

The Belgian Royal Family would have to know both languages well in order to represent their nation. From what I've read here the younger generation speaks both French and Dutch fluently.

Marengo said:

That's exactly what I was just thinking, reading the press release. It seems a bit, well, far-removed from Maxima's usual fields of interest and/or expertise..

in other words, I could be wrong, but I have never gotten the sense that Maxima is into literature of really any kind, let alone literature in Dutch..but again, perhaps she <is> genuinely interested, who knows?! But off the cuff, I would have picked Laurentien over Maxima to preside over this event, Laurentien being the more, well, intellectual, if not book-wormish (in a good way) type of the two..

don't get me wrong, folks, I'm not saying Maxima is not intelligent. She <is>, in my opinion, one of the smartest royals walking the surface of Europe today. but an intellectual? mmmm...perhaps not so much, as far as I know.

pollyemma said:

Good point pollyemma, they are to be commended for their mastery of Dutch, especially actually Maxima. Mathilde's Dutch/Flemish isn't in my opinion what it should be, or could be, given the fact that she's lived in Belgium her whole life.
Whereas Maxima has only been in the Netherlands for not even half a decade and speaks it wonderfully (with an accent of course, and she does falter here and there sometimes, but that's to be expected: Dutch is a very hard language for foreign speakers to learn)

But then again, I just can't picture Maxima curling up in front of the fire place at home at The Horsten reading Vestdijk, Joost van den Vondel or Louis Paul Boon. Or even Reve! Maybe some of Hella Haasse's work though...

Marengo said:

They are certainly not too arrogant to learn it.

The French language education in Flanders is of very high quality (and starts from an early age), and the Dutch language education in Wallonia isn't, you even have to chose between English and Dutch there. That's the problem, NOT arrogance!

Mathilde's Dutch is good, as good as Máxima's IMO. But she has a different accent, a French one, whilst Máxima's accent is softer.

It isn't because you've lived in Belgium all your life that your bilingual. Very few people are raised bilingual in Belgium!! Of course for Mathilde this could have been an opportunity (her mother speaking Polish as mothertongue and her father Flemish), but she was raised in one language, French, the language of the region she lived in. That's a bit a missed chance but she's done a lot of effort to learn good Dutch and I'm pleased with the result anyway. Her children are raised bilingual and will never have an accent, that's of course the perfect solution.

Last edited:
princess olga said:
Good point pollyemma, they are to be commended for their mastery of Dutch, especially actually Maxima. Mathilde's Dutch/Flemish isn't in my opinion what it should be, or could be, given the fact that she's lived in Belgium her whole life.
Whereas Maxima has only been in the Netherlands for not even half a decade and speaks it wonderfully (with an accent of course, and she does falter here and there sometimes, but that's to be expected: Dutch is a very hard language for foreign speakers to learn)

But then again, I just can't picture Maxima curling up in front of the fire place at home at The Horsten reading Vestdijk, Joost van den Vondel or Louis Paul Boon. Or even Reve! Maybe some of Hella Haasse's work though...

Maybe not, but she reads Dutch books

Like this one: Sonny Boy, Annejet van der Zijl

Attachments

• Maxima boek 141005.jpg
    Maxima boek 141005.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 332
princess olga said:
Hey, you're really well informed about Dutch literature, that's cool! Did you do something with it? :) I have also a hard time picturing Maxima with Dutch or Flemish books, especially with Louis Paul Boon (those are really one set of tough books). ;) I think she might like Hella Haasse. I suppose she knows Hella in person, because Hella Haasse once made a portrait of the queen and has good relationships with the DRF. :)

The Watcher said:
Maybe not, but she reads Dutch books

Like this one: Sonny Boy, Annejet van der Zijl

Wow, I have to say, Maxima continues to surprise me (and yes, in a good way!) :)

Maxie said:
I have also a hard time picturing Maxima with Dutch or Flemish books, especially with Louis Paul Boon (those are really one set of tough books). ;)
I agree but the Watcher just provided some evidence to the contrary. Maxima, as it turns out, DOES in fact read Dutch books! Good for her! It is just great and admirable that Maxima is putting her money where her mouth is so to speak, when it comes to all things Dutch: she, as it turns out, is serious about her commitment to the Netherlands. And no, that's not a given at all for a foreign-born crown princess. Kudo's in other words to Maxima!
(Anyone know how Mathilde ranks in this regard? Does Belgium's royal beauty spend quality time perusing books by Dutch/Flemish authors?)

Maxie said:
I think she might like Hella Haasse. I suppose she knows Hella in person, because Hella Haasse once made a portrait of the queen and has good relationships with the DRF. :)

Hella Haasse is one of the best authors of last and this century. It's great that Queen Beatrix is such a fan of hers: you are right I wouldn't be surprised if Maxima's also into her books now.
Speaking of royals, Haasse wrote an incredibly interesting book based on the life of a minor royal of the 18th century, countess Charlotte Sophie Bentinck, an independently minded human if there ever was one. Completely intriguing material for anyone interested in a behind the scenes look of a Northern European noble family.

Maxie said:
Hey, you're really well informed about Dutch literature, that's cool! Did you do something with it? :)
haha thanks! off topic and the answer is no. First of, I happen to be Dutch, so if anything that helps explain my interest.. (and I worked in the media for some years, but even then my journalistic beat had nothing to do with literature, although I once did interview Hella Haasse for the newspaper I worked for. I just happen to be a book worm of sorts.)
And besides, sorry to be so off topic but Dutch literature just RULES, folks! I'm glad that Maxima and Mathilde--popular with the press as they are-- are providing some PR for this realm.

Last edited:
princess olga said:
Speaking of royals, Haasse wrote an incredibly interesting book based on the life of a minor royal of the 18th century, countess Charlotte Sophie Bentinck, an independently minded human if there ever was one. Completely intriguing material for anyone interested in a behind the scenes look of a Northern European noble family.
Yes, Charlotte Sophie Bentick, that's a great book!!! I read it several times. If there exists a copy in English, you should all go buy it and read it!

princess olga said:
And besides, sorry to be so off topic but Dutch literature just RULES, folks! I'm glad that Maxima and Mathilde--popular with the press as they are-- are providing some PR for this realm.
Yeah, Dutch literature definitely rules! If it would only be translated in other languages... :rolleyes: Cool, that you're Dutch too, btw. Apparently Dutchies are everywhere around the planet...

As for Mathilde: I really hope she reads Flemish books. There are so many great Felmish authors at the moment. I think they're even better than the Dutch ones. But that's just my opinion, of course! :)

In the documentary made about Mathilde she said literature is one of her passions and that she reads in various languages. She also added that Philippe and Mathilde read in Flemish to Elisabeth and Gabriel.

It's really a mix of languages there, for the video of the presentation of Emmanuel, Philippe was holding a French book that said "grenouille" (so 'frog' in french). He asked Gabriel in Flemish what is that Gabriel? And he replied 'kikker!' (so 'frog in Flemish'). So we needn't be worried about the generations to come, they're already bilingual ;)

BTW why is Louis Paul Boon though for you? I adore his work, and don't find it hard to read. Is it because his language is so Flemish?

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
BTW why is Louis Paul Boon though for you? I adore his work, and don't find it hard to read. Is it because his language is so Flemish?

Oh, but I adore him too! I especially like the novel 'Menuet' and I just loved reading the 'Kapellekensbaan', it's just that those aren't the easiest novels to be found in Dutch and Flemish literature and especially not for someone whose original language isn't Dutch, like princess Maxima. That was what I intented to say... :)

Princess Máxima will attend a Reception/Seminar for Microfinance Investigation Report on February 3rd, 2006 in Amsterdam

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/content.jsp?objectid=14151

Her Royal Highness Princess Máxima of the the Netherlands will attend a reception for microfinance investigation report during a seminar in the ING House in Amsterdam on Friday morning, 3 February 2006.

The investigation want to see what the present activities and plans for the future its of international commercial banks in relation till micro financing. The investigation has been exported by Nyenrode Business University on the order of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and ING.

The offering of the investigation reports finds place during the seminar ‘A billion to gain – The decade or financial access, the role or global banks'. The seminar, organized through ING, goes in on the role that international financial institutions can play on the territory of micro financing.

International commercial banks, local banks, institutions on the territory of micro financing and experts its that day with each other round their experience and view on this theme to divide. Objective is the realization to aspect of micro financing to promote, the international debate around this ‘living' to hold and the relation between financial institutions and the micro financings sector to strengthen.

24 January 2006

Great, finally a member of the RF on a public duty again, it seems they have been living in retreat for january (except for the new-years reception and Margriets baptism of a ship). I especially hoped the crownprincely couple would attend more things, considering the Queen is stuck in the palae & recovering (though on the other hand...WA & Maxima lost an excellent babysitter this way as well ;)).

Marengo said:
Great, finally a member of the RF on a public duty again, it seems they have been living in retreat for january (except for the new-years reception and Margriets baptism of a ship). I especially hoped the crownprincely couple would attend more things, considering the Queen is stuck in the palae & recovering (though on the other hand...WA & Maxima lost an excellent babysitter this way as well ;)).
I totally agree. I was actually quite disappointed that they left the baptism of Christian of Denmark to Constantijn and Laurentien, as much as I like the latter couple. I thought it was a bit weird since most other crown princely couples attended this important gathering. What was so important Maxima and Alex decided they couldn't attend?

Also, the other day, I was watching the Dutch television program "RTL Boulevard", (online by the way! yeehaw for the wonders of the Web!) which covers entertainment news. Their 'royal expert', Peter van der Vorst, kindof complained that Willem Alexander, in the last year, attended a mere 50 public engagements. Of course, I am sure that there's ample time needed for preparation of events and the like, which is all done behind the scenes so to speak.

But all the same, contrast WA's 50 times in public to for example british queen Elizabeth, who last year could boast over 500 public engagements. And as a nearly 80-year-old queen, I'm sure she has better excuses than a crown prince if she wants to scale down engagements.

In short, was I wrong thinking the Dutch crown princely couple had stepped up their duties last year and worked harder than ever? That had been my impression. I had thought that they had turned a corner, and especially Maxima last year seemed extremely hard-working and taking on some heavy duty projects, handling them all with dedication.

So is Peter van der Vorst right and is this couple taking it easy and should Alexander increase the number of times he's doing engagements in public? Or are they enjoying an extended "ouderschapsverlof" as they've young kids? Or is Alexander perhaps less hard working than his wife?
how do Maxima and Alex compare on this front with other crown princely couples? It really seems they can't in any case hold a candle to Beatrix and Elizabeth of England, in terms of hours worked.

(and sure, I do accept that Alex and Maxima do work behind closed doors too so to speak, hours and hours of work we, the public, never see. But then again, so do people like Anne of England for example, and Anne STILL manages over 600 public engagements annually. If Anne can do that, why can't MAx and LEx??)

Last edited:
I am perfectly happy that they didn't go to the baptism, the only crownprincely couples there were the parents and godparents of the baby + the belgian crownprincely couple. The attendance of Laurentien and Constantijn wasn't really required either, & I consider it as a private visit to familyfriends. The choise of Laurentien might be appropriate as she and Mary spend time together during some Hans Christian Andersen-event. I am still surprised that the etiquette at baptisms is so different in every monarchy, as the belgians & spanish didn't invite any foreign royalty, the dutch only the Benelux-royals + godmother and the danish invite the entire bunch. I assumed the royal courts would do some 'benchmarking' these days.

---

Now don't get me started on that horrible man, Peter van der Vorst! I must admit I distrust everything that 'journalist' says. He doesn't have a lot of expertise on the subjects and shows his disdain for the royal family occasionally (why he wants to be a royalty reporter beats me). That the Crownprince dislikes this incompetent man, who at times reaches to the levels of German boulevard journalism is perfectly understandable. When he started on the programme I e-mailed RTL-boulevard several times about the numerous mistakes they made, but their friendly replies and subsequant flow of mistakes made me believe that this is an incurable thing & I gave up.

Since the crownprince ignores that horrible manthis guy has complained, complained and complained on RTL-Boulevard about this and how he could not understand why this was happening (though it was quite obvious to me). Like the editor of 'Prive' magazine the 'journalist' takes everything rather personal and tries to find a way to attack the crownprincely couple, but not to frontal as that will cost him viewers/readers as the dutch public doesn't like nasty remarks against their royals. Anyway, I wrote a letter to newspaper 'De Telegraaf' to nominate Peter van der Vorst for the next 'Braakmiddelen top 10' (vomitting top 10) in which their television critic 'bashes' the 10 most annoying people on television (and my letter was placed & joined by another one with the same suggestion!).

--

Now for the number of engagements: In the UK they list the engagements in a different way then in The Netherlands. If Queen Beatrix visits on one day the province of Groningen where she sees a farm (1), drinks coffee with elderly in their home (2) , has a meeting with officials (3) and opens a factory (4), the dutch would list this as 1 engagement: the visit of the queen to Groningen. The british would list this example as 4 engagements, hence the difference. But of course Peter van der Vorst 'forgets' to notice that (or just doesn't care enough to check). I believe the visit to Marocco is listed as 1 engagement, while we all saw that the crownprincely couple attended much more. Also 'surprise' visits are not listed here.

--

I am quite pleased with the number of public engagements the royals made last year, especially Queen Beatrix was active, dispite her knee. This month, as I said, I expected more public appearances from the crownprincely couple. Maybe there just isn't anything 'public' to do (january is usually a quiet month), but a few working-visits wouldn't hurt. I assume they are doing things behind the screens, as the dutch royals usually are very much involved and prepared in the things they do (probably preparing -among other things- the argentinian state-visit), but I think it is important for them to be 'visible' & 'out there'. Now the year of micro credit ended I hope Maxima will re-orientate on her future and select some new causes she wants to support. Since 3 core-royals recently died there must be so many niches 'neglected'.

Now, if they used this month to 'work' on a 3rd girl (I am hoping for 4 girls, like Juliana had), I will withdraw my complaint in october :p & appreciate the crownprincely agenda of january 2006.

Last edited:
I think that the exact number of how many engagements a royal makes is not as important as the overall happiness and satisfaction of the citizens with their royal family's work.

In addition to Marengo's comments about the differenences in how the various royal houses calcaulate engagements -- and it should be noted that some acts are counted as private while in other courts are counted as official engagements, and also that countries such as Great Britain and Spain have a large Commonwealth or are affiliated with numerous other countries who share a similar culture with them that require that their royals pay visits to these countries.

Personally, I prefer quality over quantity. I would much rather see Princess Y smile happily and sincerely through two engagements a week than Princess X act grumpy through six engagements a week.

Marengo said:
I am perfectly happy that they didn't go to the baptism, the only crownprincely couples there were the parents and godparents of the baby + the belgian crownprincely couple. The attendance of Laurentien and Constantijn wasn't really required either, & I consider it as a private visit to familyfriends. The choise of Laurentien might be appropriate as she and Mary spend time together during some Hans Christian Andersen-event. I am still surprised that the etiquette at baptisms is so different in every monarchy, as the belgians & spanish didn't invite any foreign royalty, the dutch only the Benelux-royals + godmother and the danish invite the entire bunch. I assumed the royal courts would do some 'benchmarking' these days.

---

Now don't get me started on that horrible man, Peter van der Vorst! I must admit I distrust everything that 'journalist' says. He doesn't have a lot of expertise on the subjects and shows his disdain for the royal family occasionally (why he wants to be a royalty reporter beats me). That the Crownprince dislikes this incompetent man, who at times reaches to the levels of German boulevard journalism is perfectly understandable. When he started on the programme I e-mailed RTL-boulevard several times about the numerous mistakes they made, but their friendly replies and subsequant flow of mistakes made me believe that this is an incurable thing & I gave up.

Since the crownprince ignores that horrible manthis guy has complained, complained and complained on RTL-Boulevard about this and how he could not understand why this was happening (though it was quite obvious to me). Like the editor of 'Prive' magazine the 'journalist' takes everything rather personal and tries to find a way to attack the crownprincely couple, but not to frontal as that will cost him viewers/readers as the dutch public doesn't like nasty remarks against their royals. Anyway, I wrote a letter to newspaper 'De Telegraaf' to nominate Peter van der Vorst for the next 'Braakmiddelen top 10' (vomitting top 10) in which their television critic 'bashes' the 10 most annoying people on television (and my letter was placed & joined by another one with the same suggestion!).

--

Now for the number of engagements: In the UK they list the engagements in a different way then in The Netherlands. If Queen Beatrix visits on one day the province of Groningen where she sees a farm (1), drinks coffee with elderly in their home (2) , has a meeting with officials (3) and opens a factory (4), the dutch would list this as 1 engagement: the visit of the queen to Groningen. The british would list this example as 4 engagements, hence the difference. But of course Peter van der Vorst 'forgets' to notice that (or just doesn't care enough to check). I believe the visit to Marocco is listed as 1 engagement, while we all saw that the crownprincely couple attended much more. Also 'surprise' visits are not listed here.

--

I am quite pleased with the number of public engagements the royals made last year, especially Queen Beatrix was active, dispite her knee. This month, as I said, I expected more public appearances from the crownprincely couple. Maybe there just isn't anything 'public' to do (january is usually a quiet month), but a few working-visits wouldn't hurt. I assume they are doing things behind the screens, as the dutch royals usually are very much involved and prepared in the things they do (probably preparing -among other things- the argentinian state-visit), but I think it is important for them to be 'visible' & 'out there'. Now the year of micro credit ended I hope Maxima will re-orientate on her future and select some new causes she wants to support. Since 3 core-royals recently died there must be so many niches 'neglected'.

Now, if they used this month to 'work' on a 3rd girl (I am hoping for 4 girls, like Juliana had), I will withdraw my complaint in october :p & appreciate the crownprincely agenda of january 2006.

I agree Van der Vorst typically makes numerous mistakes and that's absolutely unforgivable for someone who makes a living out of following royals! And why he's so anti-royal beats me. I also agree that he seems a light weight for the role: Marengo, they should replace him with you! But the 50 engagements he counted are true I take it. But you are right: what the Dutch count as one engagement, the Brits might count as 3..though even then, 150 engagements still doesn't compare to the british.

But all the same, I think Maxima's worked hard last year and why wouldn't she continue to do so.
Also, like Alexandria says, there's something to say for quality versus quantity: it makes more sense indeed to show up at a lower number of engagements when the engagements that are included, really make sense for the royal involved, i.e. Maxima and micro credit.

Upcoming events (as far as we know now):
- 30 January: Gala diner The Netherlands-Australia. W-A, Maxima, Margriet and Pieter will attend it.
- 3 February: Maxima receive research report Microfinance
- 4 February: W-A and Maxima in Rotterdam, jubilee Diocese
- 22 February: Maxima visit Holland Flowers Festival
- 23 February: Maxima and Mathilde receive 'History of Dutch Literature'

Perhaps between 4 and 22 February more engagements or photosession with Amalia and Alexia in Lech;)

i really can't wait to see maxima and willem the 30th dressed in gala!

Alexandria said:
Personally, I prefer quality over quantity. I would much rather see Princess Y smile happily and sincerely through two engagements a week than Princess X act grumpy through six engagements a week.

me to, but there are limits. Two engagements a month, as the crownprincely couple now (who are 'full-time' royals and generously payed!!!) is, as we say in dutch, 'te gek voor woorden' (to crazy for words).

princess olga said:
I agree Van der Vorst typically makes numerous mistakes and that's absolutely unforgivable for someone who makes a living out of following royals! And why he's so anti-royal beats me. I also agree that he seems a light weight for the role: Marengo, they should replace him with you! But the 50 engagements he counted are true I take it. But you are right: what the Dutch count as one engagement, the Brits might count as 3..though even then, 150 engagements still doesn't compare to the british.

I think being anti-royal is a way to seem sophisticated. He seems to be afraid to be taken for an 'oranjeklant', on which some people might look with disdain. Now I am all in favour of critical journalism, also towards the Royal House, but it should be based on facts, which he does not.

I wouldn't mind being the replacement, but sadly enough, I do not have any contacts in Hilversum ;) And I doubt if Albert Verlinde (the host of the show) and me would be compatible...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom