Prince Friso and Princess Mabel, Current Events 3 (September 2008 - January 2014)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im glad she went out with the family, I suppose she had to get used to living in a kind of limbo now ......with a husband but a husband in a coma .......... feel so sorry for her .

God Bless this poor lady. She needs all the strength her families can give her at this time. It probably did her good to "get away" for a few hours with Maxima whom I am sure tried her best to give Mabel a happy time. She is still on my prayer list, which is about the only thing I can think of to do to help.

It is an emotionally draining experience to see a loved one in a coma and not knowing what the outcome will be, even if cases where it's a very short duration. Sometimes this can go on for months or years, depending on the person's condition.

Both Prince Friso & Princess Mabel are on my prayer list.

I thought perhaps the people who care about her were concerned about her and thought that getting away from the situation would be good for her. Also, the RF has been doing quite a few public events and perhaps they have found that it helps them? But, I can't see how a public event would be bearable for her. She looked like she was in a fog and so fragile. I just wanted to get her out of there. Praying for them is all we can do.

Oh, I didn't mean to infer that they had dragged her. They are not like that. It is what she looked like. Her husband in not just in a coma, which is terrible enough, he is on life support, please correct me if I am wrong, Lucien, which really means, he is not alive on his own. Plus he has suffered severe brain damge, from the hypoxia, I don't, and of course, why would I, see this rationale. A very difficult place for them all.

Why she was at that event is beyond me. She is, obviosuly, not in a place to do this.

That's for Princess Mabel to decide,and it was a welcome break from bleak every day life as it turned out to be after the skiing holiday.It's called "dragging one" through hardship and sorrow by nearest and dearest,i.e. her sister-in-law this time,..No need to
stay home alone all the time wallowing in grief only,there is a life to be lived still,and if it was for the children only.

Lucien, do you think she is "Wallowing"? I don't know. I don't know who is the "real" decision maker in this scenario. I, assume, she is. I, lost my first husband, when I was about her age, in my 40's. I wanted to be out and about, you are right, forcing yourself back into life, but she has another problem, she is in a nether world, where you cannot heal. The wound is always open.

Lucien, do you think she is "Wallowing"? I don't know. I don't know who is the "real" decision maker in this scenario. I, assume, she is. I, lost my first husband, when I was about her age, in my 40's. I wanted to be out and about, you are right, forcing yourself back into life, but she has another problem, she is in a nether world, where you cannot heal. The wound is always open.

True,very true.And I am truly sorry to hear of your loss at such a young age Countess.You must know what Princess Mabel is going through,except you could close,or better,heal,difficult as that must have been.

I wonder why Johan is not in the Netherlands but London? Is it a specialty that the Netherlands does not have? I am just wondering, not accusing. I hope Mabel has support. It is a difficult position to be in.

I wonder why Johan is not in the Netherlands but London? Is it a specialty that the Netherlands does not have? I am just wondering, not accusing. I hope Mabel has support. It is a difficult position to be in.[/QUOTE}

Friso and Mabel live in London. Friso worked there, the children go to school there. And from what I understand the clinic he's in is the best in the world for his condition.

I do not think they would allow someone in "his condition" basically not alive to continue on a respirator for this length of time, in the Netherlands. I could be wrong. You can buy anything. And, it is true, that they have lived in London for a long time, so if nothing else, he is close to his home.

I wonder why Johan is not in the Netherlands but London? Is it a specialty that the Netherlands does not have?
I think it was mentioned somewhere in the thread about prince Friso's accident that there are no speciality care clinic in the Netherlands for adults with severe brain damages such as the prince has.

You can send cards to:

Their Royal Highnesses Prince Friso and Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau

Paleis Noordeinde
Postbus 30412
2500 GK Den Haag
The Netherlands

Last edited:
Thanks Hendrik,
I could not get the Dutch on the contact page to translate to English so I was not sure which address to use. Thanks!

So not to sound insensitive but, why is he being kept alive? I am wondering because if he is being kept alive by a machine, he really isnt alive and would not be alive if he would be taken off the machine. Is there a reason he is being kept alive? I know it is up to the family to decide this but in my opinion there really is no reason to continue. They should let him go now. I would think it would be easier to heal and move on. Just a thought.

I suspect that the family will come to the decision sooner or later. It takes time to prepare oneself for that kind of choice.

So not to sound insensitive but, why is he being kept alive? I am wondering because if he is being kept alive by a machine, he really isnt alive and would not be alive if he would be taken off the machine. Is there a reason he is being kept alive? I know it is up to the family to decide this but in my opinion there really is no reason to continue. They should let him go now. I would think it would be easier to heal and move on. Just a thought.

I agree, but I wouldn't want to be the one to make the choice. I can't even imagine and so while I wonder as you do as to his viability, the longer time passes the harder the decision, I would think.

This is the reason I think the medics were wrong to keep trying to resuscitate for such a long time!
They would never have done it for an ordinary person, imo.
And just look at the extra pain they caused for the family, now that they'll have to make the decision.
If those paramedics let him go in the first place, the family could have started to heal by now. Instead they'll be faced with this, and no matter what you do, you feel horrible.

This is the reason I think the medics were wrong to keep trying to resuscitate for such a long time!
They would never have done it for an ordinary person, imo.
And just look at the extra pain they caused for the family, now that they'll have to make the decision.
If those paramedics let him go in the first place, the family could have started to heal by now. Instead they'll be faced with this, and no matter what you do, you feel horrible.

I am not sure they wouldn't have fought to restart a heart, on just anyone, they do, we have, but in this case it has been a cruel work.

There is a lengthy discussion about prince Friso's condition and speculations why he is kept alive in this thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...iing-accident-february-17th-2012-a-32618.html

Oops sorry. Didnt mean to start a discussion in the wrong thread.

Paramedics have to keep up resuscitation until they're given the order to stop by a MD, as do nurses. As long as there is a heartbeat and rhythm, the team works on a patient, only the doctor can declare enough is enough and to stop. Now it will be up to his family and it's a horrible decision to make. I know from experience.

In the medical profession there is a saying when doing CPR, "you are not dead until you are warm and dead".

It means that if you need resuscitation (as Prince Friso did) and you are cold, they may not stop with CPR (cardio - pulmonary resuscitation) until you have become warm. The reason is that the heart may not want / cant start as it is too cold. Hence the patient needs to be warmed up sufficiently and then only can CPR stop.

This is also for cases of near-drowning or falling into frozen lakes in the winter. Many people have been succesfully resuscitated to live full lives in this scenario. but the CPR really MUST be done very well to perfuse the brain with sufficient oxygen.

In Prince Friso case he was without oxygen for a prolonged period, before CPR was commenced. This was probably where the brain damage has occurred. Well we all know it was....

An awful situation for all, especially Mabel and QB.

Prince Friso is alive because medical personnel and doctors didn't give up on him and continued treating him even when the situation didn't look very good for him. Unless something changes, he's basically in limbo right now.

Tough decision for the family as there are no right or wrong answers in this case. I think the family can take comfort in the fact that everything medically and humanly possible was done to keep him alive if he doesn't recover.

Perhaps in saving him (even if he doesn't recover), medical knowledge could be learned from what happen to him which perhaps down the road could save, help or extend other people's lives who are in a similiar situation as he was.

Actually, it is worse than limbo, because without all the adjutant machinery, he is dead, he is not in a persistent, vegatative state, from what little has been written. It is a dreadful situation for all. I doubt that great medical strides can be made from his dificult situation.

It would be marvellous if he could completely awake !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom