Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien, News & Events Part 3 (Aug 2007 - Dec 17)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love her outfit. I don't always say that. She looks great.

Princess Laurentien participated in a discussion with children at the Haagse Gezonde Beurs (Health fair) at the Grote kerk in Den Haag today, January 17. The theme of the fair is "All about healthy lifestyle for the whole family".

** ppe gallery ** facetoface **

Apparently it is the building of an old chocolate factory which has been turned into the city library. So that makes sense, considering Laurentien's interests in literacy and reading.

Prince Constantijn has given a speech during the anniversary congress of the commissariat for the media in Bussum today, April 7:

** anp gallery **

Princess Laurentien is currently in Australia as President of Fauna and Flora International. The purpose of the visit is to highlight the use of microplastics in many everyday products, and why they should be avoided because of their effect on the marine environment.

Netherlands Princess urges Australians to avoid microplastics - Business - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Taken to the cleaners: how washing and scrubbing are killing the world's oceans

She appeared on this evening's edition of The Project on Channel 10 to talk about the issue. I will try and see if it will be put online later, or will record the replay and upload her segment.

On June 12 Princess Laurentien inaugurated a new environmental-friendly printing press at the royal printing company Em. de Jong in Baarle-Nassau.

** nieuwsblad.be: Prinses Laurentien stelt nieuwe drukpers in gebruik ** translation **

** emdejong.nl: Koninklijke ingebruikname van de MAN Lithoman S ** translation **

On June 11 Princess Laurentien as Director of the Missing Chapter Foundation met with 125 elementary school pupils fora discussion at the HZ University of Applied Sciences in Vlissingen.

** louisedecolignyschool-onzewijs.nl gallery **

** vlissingen.nieuws.nl: Prinses Laurentien zoekt ideale juf ** translation **

Last edited:

Princess Laurentien attended the premiere of the Dutch film "Oorlogsgeheimen" in Amsterdam today, June 30:

** Pic ** anp gallery **

Princess Laurentien gave a speech during the opening of the International Congress for the Study of Child Language at the University of Amsterdam today, July 14:

** ppe gallery **

Prince Constantijn (pictured with Dutch director Anton Corbijn) attended the Dutch premiere of 'A Most Wanted Man' at the EYE Dutch Film Museum in Amsterdam on September 1st:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Wonderful initiative and great effort by all.

:flowers:

Prince Constantijn in his role as Head of Cabinet of Vice-President of the European Commission Neelie Kroes opened the Leiden Centre of Data Science at the University of Leiden on September 4:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** anp gallery **

On September 22 Princess Laurentien and pupils from three schools participated in a discussion during the opening session of the 4th Dutch Green Building Week in Arnhem.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** dgbc.nl gallery **

Prince Constantijn in his role as Head of Cabinet of Vice-President of the European Commission Neelie Kroes opened the Leiden Centre of Data Science at the University of Leiden on September 4:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** anp gallery **

Prince Constantijn really is the spitting image of his late father, Prince Claus.

Last edited:
His Royal Highness Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands is searching for a new job. The Prince is currently chef de cabinet of Eurocommisioner Mrs. Neelie Kroes. With the arrival of the new EU Commission all political staff of the outgoing Commissioners loose their position -as usual- and have to apply for a new position, if they want. It is not known if the Prince indeed will apply for another position in the top of the EU machinery. The Prince is no civic servant but works, like so many in Brussels, with a limited contract.

With the abdication of Queen Beatrix, life has changed for his brother King Willem-Alexander but not so for Prince Constantijn. Interesting is that Prince Constantijn has not done more royal engagements since the start of his brother's Reign. His mother, Princess Beatrix, is still very active and represents the Royal House on many public events.

In the Act on the Financial Statute of the Royal House is arranged that six persons get an annual income:
- The King
- The King who has abdicated the kingship
- The presumed successor of the King (from the age of 18 on)
- The eventual spouses of the beforementioned

In practice this means King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and Princess Beatrix. This means that Prince Constantijn, like all other members of the royal family, has to provide in his own income. Queen Juliana and Queen Beatrix have made special arrangements:

Foundation for Functional Costs of the House Orange-Nassau I (1968)
Aim: to provide finances, from the rendements of the own capital, for each of the three youngest daughters of Her Majesty Queen Juliana to meet the costs and expenditures connected to their royal position and the execution of the royal dignity.

Foundation for Functional Costs of the House Orange-Nassau II (1998)
Aim: to provide finances, from the rendements of the own capital, for each of the two youngest sons of Her Majesty Queen Beatrix to meet costs and expenditures connected to their royal position and the execution of the royal dignity.

This means that, also without a job, Prince Constantijn does not need to worry about his income. His aunts Princess Irene, Princess Margriet and Princess Christina never had a regularly paid job but lead a carefree royal life and represent the House in great style when requested, so the finances from these funds must be suffficient.

Having said that, I hope that Prince Constantijn, Princess Laurentien and their children move to The Hague, for an example live at the villa De Eikenhorst (now privately owned residence of the King) and start to do more public royal events. At the other hand: in 7 years time Princess Catharina-Amalia will reach the age of 18 and get her own income. I can imagine that she will then occupy the so loved and comfortable villa (undoubtedly after an extensive renovation) to start her independent royal life.

Last edited:
Marengo and Duc et Pair-Do either of you foresee the couple taking on more roles at some point in the future much like Princess Margariet and Mr. Pieter did for then Queen Beatrix? I'm asking because it will be some time before the Princess of Orange is ready to begin her royal role and Princess Beatrix may opt to fully retire from royal duties.

Marengo and Duc et Pair-Do either of you foresee the couple taking on more roles at some point in the future much like Princess Margariet and Mr. Pieter did for then Queen Beatrix? I'm asking because it will be some time before the Princess of Orange is ready to begin her royal role and Princess Beatrix may opt to fully retire from royal duties.

I can see an increase in public engagements for the couple. When Queen Beatrix announced her abdication, she stated that she would like to be active as long as possible.

The Princess of Orange indeed will become 18 years in 7 years time, but most likely she will do academic studies, maybe spend some time in the military and abroad before engaging in a full agenda.

I agree that it will be quite awhile before the PoO begins her duties. How old was her father when he took on his royal role as a full time position? I'm assuming this was after he had completed his university degree and military training. Would he have been in his mid-twenties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom