Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien, News & Events 2 (March 2006 - Aug 2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I happen to like those 'interchangeable clones' and wouldn't mind to see a dozen or so of these beautifull ladies at the Dutch Court. They seem to be down to earth, friendly and most important: They didn't change their name/personality when they became Royal and stayed their happy selves! As for Petra/Laurentien, it is about time she makes a call to her good friend Marthe Louise from Norway for some serious fashion advice. Why is it that ALL scandinavian princesses do know how to dress up whilst Laurentien comes up with a lot of sh*te.
I hope she will improve her fashion sense because it looks she's going to be a regular attending at state banquets when Willem IV is king.
One could have bad dreams thinking of the fashion debacles that will follow!

Last edited:
I agree with you up to a point Mandrake. When she is representing the country, at state visits or royal events abroad I would like her to ´look the part´. But she looked reasonable enough when she went abroad, apart from the bra-less dress at Frederiks wedding.

I would rather Laurentien stays herself, instead of turning into a really vague Martha-Louise who is right now facing very harsh criticism (imho rightfully so).

I actually like the way she dresses most of the time. It's not as bland as some of the other HRH or HH's (I agree with Henri on the D.I.L of Margriet, they are nice but very very boring clothewise.)

I agree with you up to a point Mandrake. When she is representing the country, at state visits or royal events abroad I would like her to ´look the part´. But she looked reasonable enough when she went abroad, apart from the bra-less dress at Frederiks wedding.

And hasn't she always looked amazing in Oslo (wedding Prince Haakon), Copenhagen (Hans Christian Andersen Gala), The Hague (State Banquet King Abdullah of Jordan) and Oslo (Birthday King Haakon)?

I even like her waaay out-of-tone Prinsjesdag appearances. With as only exception the 2005 mint-aquamarine-grey-green combination.
:eek:

La Laurentien is wonderful. As Princess and as genuine human being.
:flowers:

Yes, Laurentien´s style has changed a lot since her engagement. There she looked a little like an old-maidish teacher or so.

At the HC Andersen gala she was wearing this piece of horror, so I believe you mixed it up with the gala that she visited with CP Mary.

I agree that she seems to be a very nice person, always radiant etc. But I can not recall any royal lady who has worn more ghasly clothes than Laurentien. Anyway, there is a thread tom discuss more about Laurentiens style, which can be found here.

And I agree with Mandrake, the changing of her first name seems rather odd to me too, though Princess Marijke did the same and Mabel Wisse-Smit ditched the last name of her deceased father and took the surname of her stephfather. Marijke changed her name as she thought it sounded to childish, but in Laurentiens and Mabels case I suspect some snobbery.

--

To princess Beagle: I don´t understand your comparison to Martha-Louise of Norway. With Laurentien she is the Princess that has the most unconventional style of dressing, though usually with a much better result than in Laurentiens case. How Laurentien dressing herself a bit less horrid would turn her ´vague´ I fail to understand too. Princess Irene usually dressed impeccably and still talks to trees and dolphins, as does the Prince of Wales.

--

To Stefanie: I remember an article in a Dutch current events magazine (Elsevier maybe) and apparently in the beginning of her marriage the court adviced her how to dress. I am glad she isn´t listening to them anymore as she looks younger now than when she got engaged.

Without doubt Laurentien is a nice lady, good mother and wife and very nice to be with. I just don't think she has a very royal style of clothing. Whenever you are representing your country and Queen you should do your best to dress to impress. Its like a card de visite. People expect Princesses to dress in a true Royal way. The snobbery thing seems to have a long history. According to Dorine Hermans and Danielle Hooghiemstra in their book Vertel dit toch niet verder, Laurentiens grandmother was very eager to have her son Laurens Jan get acquinted with the Dutch Royals.

While we started an interesting discussion this thread reached 10 pages. I opened a new current events thread for the Prince and Princess, which can be found here. But due to this discussion we might want to express more of our opinions in a brand new thread called ´What is your opinion about Constantijn and Laurentien?´, which can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom