Abdication Beatrix & Inauguration Willem-Alexander: Where to Watch Live (TV & Online)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if you went to your local pub and took a poll you would find out how very wrong you are. Even if you brought pictures I doubt too many people could tell you who the continental royals are.

Actually, you would be surprised at how popular the Dutch royal family are in Scotland. It stems from when Queen Wilhelmina spend some time staying here during the war. She was so popular that ladies called Williamina changed the spelling of their name to Wilhelmina. A few years ago Queen Beatrix visited a housing scheme in Glasgow and more people turned out to see her than had for Queen Elizabeth the year before. I also remember being on a bus in Edinburgh and the traffic was held up for some time. People were getting annoyed at the delay especially after the driver said that it was due to a royal visit. A few minutes later there was a message came through the drivers radio and he shouted "it's the Queen of the Netherlands" at which everybody calmed down and one lady piped up "oh that's all right then, I thought it was one of that lot from London." I also found out from a historian that before the union with England there was talk of a union with the Netherlands so if history had been different Scotland and the Netherlands would have the same monarch.

Last edited:
Reuters live streaming begins at 3am CST. Of course, the youtube acct NOM has already started live streaming. However, it is not in English. -(

I gave the wrong info on the youtube acct to watch the inauguration for the U.S. Sorry, it is: Inhuldiging koning Willem-Alexander - YouTube

Try going straight to youtube because it says an error occurred. at 3am CST, Reuters will begin their live streaming. Hope it's in English.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, you would be surprised at how popular the Dutch royal family are in Scotland. It stems from when Queen Wilhelmina spend some time staying here during the war. She was so popular that ladies called Williamina changed the spelling of their name to Wilhelmina. A few years ago Queen Beatrix visited a housing scheme in Glasgow and more people turned out to see her than had for Queen Elizabeth the year before. I also remember being on a bus in Edinburgh and the traffic was held up for some time. People were getting annoyed at the delay especially after the driver said that it was due to a royal visit. A few minutes later there was a message came through the drivers radio and he shouted "it's the Queen of the Netherlands" at which everybody calmed down and one lady piped up "oh that's al right then, I thought it was one of that lot from London." I also found out from a historian that before the union with England there was talk of a union with the Netherlands so it history had been different Scotland and the Netherlands would have the same monarch.

Good story!!Thanks for that!:flowers:

I happened upon this live stream about 15 minutes ago and so have had the chance to see the balcony appearance live, which has been nice. A nice, big, crowd and the public is enjoying it.

And from NZ.:flowers:

Ok, well BBC News has actually had live coverage for quite a while and the story seems to be third on their list at the moment after two stories about crime and prisoners, so that's about as good as it will get...we should be grateful LOL!

When will the enthronment cerimony take place (if there is one at all)?

The broadcasting will start again at 13h30 (local time), so I guess it will begin at 14h or so, after we got to see all the royal fashion :D

BBC News 24 is carrying fairly extensive coverage but it tends to be in little 10 minute slots as and when things happen rather than rolling coverage. I'm watching it all on NOS and I have to say, it's a joy. And of course I can improve my Dutch!

Here on this side of the pond, if it isn't the British royals, the reaction is "who?"
I have to agree You are right about that. The British Royal Family is really the only Royal Family that Americans know of and knows who everyone is is and their names. You also or talk about Queen Elizabeth, Queen mother, Prince Philip, Charles, Diana, Prince William, Harry, Princess Anne, Kate Middleton, etc... Everyone's knows who you are talking about. Then if you talk about Queen Margrethe, Princess Maxima, Crown Princess Victoria, Crown Prince Maakon then you will most likely get a confuse lookbecause they don't know who the heck they are. I understand why and it also has to do with the media.

The U. S media pretty much ignores the Dutch Monarchy and most of the other Europe Royal Families. They have for the most part have not paid attention to Queen Beatrix Abdication. I do like Queen Elizabeth and nothing against her but there would be a stark contrast if it was Elizabeth who was Abdicating! It would be on the news 24/7 with heavy amount of coverage on her abdication. All the networks (including Fox) would have hours of Special live Coverage planned of her abdication and Charales Corronation, It would be the only thing anyone would be talking about for days and Days on end!

Most people's here when you only say 'The Queen' know you mean Elizabeth because as far as they are concern there is only one Queen in the World and they would be surprise to find out ( as of yesterday) that their are Three Queens in the world. Many have never heard of Beatrix or Margrethe.

I don't know but my local channel mentioned it quite a few times on the news this morning. (they tend to repeat the headlines every half hour to hour). Which is surprising because most of us wouldn't know that there are other royals in Europe.

Sorry, but this is obviously too late. Check youtube & you'll be able to see all. Of course, it's in Dutch, but we don't need to speak the language to understand what is going on.

Regards,
Alix

If you go to Youtube and search "Inhuldiging Willem Alexander" there is a 3 3/4 video of the inauguaration ceremony prefaced by clips from their life/travels/interviews etc.

Thank you so much! I stayed up to watch it online but would love to see it again.

Best Regards,
Alix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom