Why Are Some Royals More Popular Than Others?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Next Star

Courtier
City
Country
United States
There are many monarchies without the world but only a few that are well-known.

I think the British Monarchy receives so much press coverage because of the English language. That's all.

Not because of the english language, but because The Queen is Queen of England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and 14 other indapendant nations worldwide.

Since succeeding to the throne she has been Queen of more than 32 nations, though around half of which have since become Republics.

So I don't believe it has as much to do with the english language as such, but she is the only monarch of more than one indapendant state, nowadays.

Last edited:
I think in many cases it's a various reason or reasons that have made one country's monarchy more popular than others.

Look at Monaco they became rather popular due to Grace. Denmark's RF is now popular in Australia since Mary came into the picture. I really think sometimes it depends on certain members of the monarchy and the marriages that take place.

Then again it can also be about what the different members of a RF that brings in the attention. Just look at all Queen Rania is doing to boost knowledge of Jordan. I logged into yahoo awhile back and there was a little ad about Rania.

But at the same time I notice some monarchies that are more comfortable not being on such a grand stage. Like Belgium, Norway, Luxembourg, and Sweden.

Now considering language. I agree that it's the fact that Queen Elizabeth represents so many countries that provides the British RF with so much attention rather than the English language. However, as for the Spanish RF. I was living in Miami when F and L married. There are many Spanish speakers in the area and F and L's wedding made big news there. Which is why I even sought out TRF's in the first place. So I'm thinking that the common language of Spanish tends to be a big selling point of the Spanish royals to other Spanish speaking countries.

I also think another interesting point is that Australia seems to really follow Fred and Mary. But Argentina doesn't seem that into the Dutch royals even though Maxima is from Argentina. The difference to me is this, Australia at least had a better grip on royalty since they had watched the British royals for so long. And now they have a new RF to pay attention to. But Argentina is a republic so possibly its not as into royals. Not to say that some from Argentina don't pay close attention simply because of Maxima that definitely could be. But the attention that Maxima gets from her homeland compared to the attention Mary gets doesn't seem to be quite the same from my viewpoint. But I could be wrong.

Australia at least had a better grip on royalty since they had watched the British royals for so long

Australia being a Constitutional Monarchy certainly had something to do with the interest which was expressed in both Mary and the Danish RF, imo. We better understood the signifcance of it, I guess.

Then again it can also be about what the different members of a RF that brings in the attention. Just look at all Queen Rania is doing to boost knowledge of Jordan. I logged into yahoo awhile back and there was a little ad about Rania.

But at the same time I notice some monarchies that are more comfortable not being on such a grand stage. Like Belgium, Norway, Luxembourg, and Sweden.

Now considering language. I agree that it's the fact that Queen Elizabeth represents so many countries that provides the British RF with so much attention rather than the English language. However, as for the Spanish RF. I was living in Miami when F and L married. There are many Spanish speakers in the area and F and L's wedding made big news there. Which is why I even sought out TRF's in the first place. So I'm thinking that the common language of Spanish tends to be a big selling point of the Spanish royals to other Spanish speaking countries.

Felipe and Letizia's wedding was a semi big deal here in Los Angeles (due to the massive Hispanic population.) Regarding Queen Rania, she's pretty well known here in the USA as well as Queen Noor for obvious reasons. Overall, the Royal Family of Jordan is known though not as popular as the British royal family.

The rest of the royal families, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Belguim, Dutch, Lux, and others not so much.

Queen Rania, she's pretty well known here in the USA

Give me an O, Give me a P, Give me an R, Give me an A, Give me an H...what does that spell...:D

I think it has a lot to do with personal charisma. Some have it others don´t, it certainly helps if the royal is photogenic.
Some of the popularity probably dates back to childhood days and story book princes and princesses. Some royals love to be in the limelight others don´t.
Royals are just ordinary people in an extraordinary position. Some are shy, some are retiring, others love the publicity.
I beleive that Princess Caroline of Monaco has been the most times on the cover of Point de Vue than any other person and a very beautiful cover she makes. I saw her recently, I saw the coat of arms on her car first then as the car sped past I saw who was in it. She seemed not to be wearing makeup and looked fabulous. A photographer´s dream model.
Menarue

well, though I am not a great fan of royals in talkshows or even giving too many interviews I think that Q. Rania's position in this can not be compared to that of other European consorts. The role of the kign of Jordan is very different, he actually rules, while those in Europe mainly are symbols. Add to that the position of Jordan, in the middle of the most unstable region in the world. So in that light I do think it is wise of a country like Jordan to show themselves to the Western world the way they do. Q. Rania has been an asset in this IMO.

There are many monarchies without the world but only a few that are well-known.
With the British Royals, I think ultimately a lot of it comes down to the historical legacy of the Empire. At one point Britain ruled something like a quarter of the world's total land area.

It is inevitable that the people in countries that were colonised still remain aware of the British monarchy because it had such an impact on their ancestors' lives.

Here here!

I still think Rania's decision to appear on that show seriously questionable.

I remember watching that interview and was kinda taken aback when Oprah asked her what was of most importance to her in her life, and what makes her happy. Queen Rania's response was......CHOCOLATE! i know she was joking but it was just so unexpected. But then of course, she answered properly and said things such as her family etc

I just found her, Rania's, actual presence on the talkshow altogether rediculous. And I care not that Oprah is a media heavyweight in the US, nor for her interviewing style which I find to be both lightweight and banal. I mean, she introduced her as Her Royal Majesty Queen Raniaaaaa.

She asked if Rania ever wakes up and thinks "I am Queen", which in itself isn't such a bad question, however, she proceeded to say it a further two times (in her usual "sensational" way) before turning to the auditorium of Oprah addicts knowing they'd start raising their hands and screaming for absolutely no reason.

Royals are not celebrities, yet they allow themselves to be treated like it sometimes. I find that dissapointing.

I think the British Monarchy receives so much press coverage because of the English language. That's all.

I agree completely. In Spanish speaking countries the Royal Family of Spain is probably very popular.

I just found her, Rania's, actual presence on the talkshow altogether rediculous. And I care not that Oprah is a media heavyweight in the US, nor for her interviewing style which I find to be both lightweight and banal. I mean, she introduced her as Her Royal Majesty Queen Raniaaaaa.

She asked if Rania ever wakes up and thinks "I am Queen", which in itself isn't such a bad question, however, she proceeded to say it a further two times (in her usual "sensational" way) before turning to the auditorium of Oprah addicts knowing they'd start raising their hands and screaming for absolutely no reason.

Royals are not celebrities, yet they allow themselves to be treated like it sometimes. I find that dissapointing.

Can I just agree 200% with everything you said? I saw that appearance of HM Queen Rania and I was let down. I expect Oprah to behave that way...she IS Oprah. But I hate it when Royals permit themselves to be turned into pop culture celebs that way.

The late Princess of Wales was also a pop culture icon but even at her worst she had a certain nobility about her that no one could mistake for just being some run of the mill celeb. I didn't get that same "aura" with Rania, perhaps because she was not a born aristo as Diana was. But I can't see Diana ever appearing on Oprah.....

Last edited:
Perhaps I have always been a fan of Queen Noor of Jordan so I could never fall for Rania. She may be a beautiful girl but there is nothing "royal" about her.

The one thing some of you are missing regarding Queen Rania's appearance on Oprah: Her audience, Oprah's that is.

As a result, the questions aren't exactly, how can say this delicately, in depth. When it comes to certain public figures on her show the discussions are 99.999999% mindless & otherwise vapid. That's what her audience expects, and that's what they got when Rania was on.

The one thing some of you are missing regarding Queen Rania's appearance on Oprah: Her audience, Oprah's that is.

As a result, the questions aren't exactly, how can say this delicately, in depth. When it comes to certain public figures on her show the discussions are 99.999999% mindless & otherwise vapid. That's what her audience expects, and that's what they got when Rania was on.

Oh, I completely agree about the audience. That's why I feel that the Queen should NOT have gone on the show at all. She should have had a quiet one-on-one interview with Oprah that would have been much more dignified and suitable to her station, IMO.

It has nothing to do if the interview was taped in front of a live audience or not. The interview still would have not been "dignified" and/or "suitable" that's not what Oprah does... she's not Charlie Rose. Oprah is similar to Andy Rooney combined with Nancy O'Dell from Access Hollywood.

Essentially, it has to do with Oprah's overall audience... Oprah's loyal audience. There is a certain demographic who watch the show, and they expect a certain type of fluff mixed in with one or two hard pressing questions.

Last edited:
I think it has a lot to do with personal charisma. Some have it others don´t, it certainly helps if the royal is photogenic.
Some of the popularity probably dates back to childhood days and story book princes and princesses. Some royals love to be in the limelight others don´t.
Royals are just ordinary people in an extraordinary position. Some are shy, some are retiring, others love the publicity.
I beleive that Princess Caroline of Monaco has been the most times on the cover of Point de Vue than any other person and a very beautiful cover she makes. I saw her recently, I saw the coat of arms on her car first then as the car sped past I saw who was in it. She seemed not to be wearing makeup and looked fabulous. A photographer´s dream model.
Menarue
I agree with your post that some royals have more charisma then others while the others are not known because they are not head of state to many nations like Queen Elizabeth II of United Kingdom.

It has nothing to do if the interview was taped in front of a live audience or not. The interview still would have not been "dignified" and/or "suitable" that's not what Oprah does... she's not Charlie Rose. Oprah is similar to Andy Rooney combined with Nancy O'Dell from Access Hollywood.

Essentially, it has to do with Oprah's overall audience... Oprah's loyal audience. There is a certain demographic who watch the show, and they expect a certain type of fluff mixed in with one or two hard pressing questions.
I agree with you. I am not a fan of Oprah and almost never watch her shows. A long time ago she had Diane Von Furstenberg along with Prince Egon VF and Kiko (Ira VF's son) and I forget who else but the gist of the whole conversation was letting the mortals have a glimpse of "royalty". She never explained to the audience the relationship betweek Kiko and Egon but was anxious to one more time discuss the fabulous expensive wedding of the Alexes VF. and let the little people see the "Royals" up close.
Sorry to refer to the two dead gentlemen (P. Egon VF & Kiko VH.)

I just thought then some royals are not reigning and while others stay out of the public eye.

In this area of the United States, some people speak of Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge if they have seen any news coverage or journalism articles about the English Royals.
Some do not know that Liechtenstein is a principality. Is this due to the fact that how much coverage does Liechtenstein get?

I honestly feel that the reason some royals are more popular with people is mainly due to personal likes. Why do we like some of our aunt and uncles more than others? Why do we enjoy being with some of our neighbors rather than other neighbors? Why do we even like some of our siblings more than others. It is something we feel we see in a person that we either like or dislike. It is human nature. The media picks up on this and run stores leaning on their likes and dislikes also. Common customs and language will all measure into how comfortable you are with another. You either like and read about a person or you don't.

In this area of the United States, some people speak of Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge if they have seen any news coverage or journalism articles about the English Royals.
Some do not know that Liechtenstein is a principality. Is this due to the fact that how much coverage does Liechtenstein get?
Oh you are absolutely correct. They know the Queen, P Philip, Charles and Kate quite well, but most can't name the queen's other children and their spouses [except for Andy now and only a few]. They don't really care. Most don't even know the names of sitting royals of other countries. It is not important, especially to younger generations. We on the forum know them all quite well because we are interested and seek out articles and events to be discussed. But we are a tiny percentage of the world's population.

I know personally a few political figures here that feel we are all so gullible to even waste time following the birth privileged few that have actually no real power and run around in fancy dress. But these same politicians will sit for hours watching their favorite sport events or entertainers, who BTW have no real power and run around in their fancy dress. It will never change, people will only be interested in what they want to be interested in. And the larger percentage of younger Americans don't care about royals.

Popularity definitely starts off with whoever gets the most media coverage - you can't like someone you have never heard of! But this quickly changes once you start to know a little about other royals and this must be the case for most of us here on TRF - when you start delving into other royal families, you like the look of someone, or like a particular thing someone does and they become a favourite and it takes off from there.

Not all the most known royals (those quoted by tabloids and media for instance) are always seen as popular IMHO

It is also about having an X-Factor. Queen Máxima of the Netherlands blows all and everything away with her charisma and her 10.000 megawatt smile. The fact that all Orange-Nassau treasures are available to her only helped to dazzle and to star in her "role". There are (were) other spouses of Heirs who do not have that charisma or that présence at all, who can not count on a general and wide-spread well-willingness of the public and have not the access to the one after the other cassette with historical jewels, or have a triple platinum-card with unlimited resources to live as a royal indeed.

Last edited:
I think Duchess of Cambridge has a specific charisma, but as British royals are well-known around the world, it's more difficult to keep an unique image. Each time she is exposed to criticism, and that's normal, but BRF stays apart as very specific family.

No less charisma than Maxima has CP Victoria of Sweden that has quite an interesting personality and brilliant approach towards others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom