Who's the nicest Royal Mother in Law?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who is the nicest royal Mother-in-Law?

• Queen Paola of Belgium

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Empress Michiko of Japan

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Queen Margrethe of Denmark

Votes: 58 17.8%
  • Queen Noor of Jordan

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom

Votes: 20 6.2%
  • Princess Marie of Liechtenstein

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Queen Sabika of Bahrain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Queen Sofía of Spain

Votes: 88 27.1%
  • Queen Sonja of Norway

Votes: 30 9.2%
  • Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg

Votes: 21 6.5%
  • Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands

Votes: 76 23.4%
  • Queen Anne-Marie of Greece

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Queen Anne of Romania

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Queen Saleha of Brunei

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for Queen Sophia of Spain. She seems to be a nice person to me.

She would definitely be in the running for Best Royal Grandma, I love looking at photos of her and all of her grandchildren - she looks just joyous and so full of love! Sorry for going off topic!!:)

There have been rumours of a problematic relationship between Maria Teresa of Luxembourg and her daughter in law Stephanie, something between the Grand Ducal Couple and the son and heir, Gui, and his wife. The younger couple's absence at various family get-togethers over the past year has been seen as a sign of some dissension. Does anyone know anything concrete?

What rumors? Any source? I'm curious, not being snarky. From the recent interviews, there doesn't seem to be dissension.

"Princess Stéphanie described her mother-in-law, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa, as very kind, always willing to listen if needed. "That is very important," Stéphanie was quoted as saying." Source

Grand Duchess Maria Teresa "stepped in to defend her daughter-in-law, Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie in a separate case. She said her daughter-in-law was exploited by Brussels firm Kepha Invest to promote their activities. The firm is under investigation for defrauding 300 investors." Source

When have Guillaume and Stephanie been absent at various family events? I can only think of their absence from the Cabasson photos last year and the Cour on Facebook answered when someone asked about Guillaume, Stephanie and Sybilla. The missing trio had commitments elsewhere at the time.

Cour's FB post and expand the comments.
"LL.AA.RR. le Prince Guillaume et la Princesse Stéphanie avaient un engagement professionnel au Luxembourg au moment oú la photo était prise... S.A.R. la Princesse Sybilla avait également un engagement... Cordialement, webmaster."

I suppose these rumours are mostly wishful thinking in the minds of royalty watchers who do not care for the hereditary Grand Duchess. I have never read any credible source saying something simular.

I am also quite sure that they both are professional enough to put on a brave face for the camera's -if such tensions existed- so an absense doesn't need to lead to a conclusion that there are tensions between mother- and daughter-in-law.

But like the nay-sayers I have no inside information if the two atually like each other or not. That will only be available to those who are well acquented with the either of the two.

Last edited:
Maybe the rumours about Maria Teresa and Stéphanie have started because there aren't many photos of them together at work events, or spending free time together, like there is of Maria Teresa with Tessy and Claire:
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

There were discussions on another Royal forum of troubles when the Hereditary Grand Duke and Duchess didn't arrive at the extended family holiday last year. That's why I asked whether anything concrete was known.

It was also said, speaking of Royal mothers in law, that Maria Theresa was called the 'little Cuban' or 'La Negrita' by HER mother in law. Don't know whether that is true either, but did Maria Teresa not hold a press conference once, regarding the fraught relationship she had with Princess Josephine-Charlotte?

Indeed she did. See more in this thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...otte-and-maria-teresas-relationship-4612.html

Of course Josephine-Charlotte did not and can not defend herself so we only have MT's word for it. Though usually there are more sides to the same story.

Let's hope that more teary press outbursts can be evaded in the future and that all is well between Maria-Teresa and all her daughters-in-law. So far there is no reason to assume that this is not the case.

I am quite certain that they know how to hide their dislike in front of the camera's -if such a thing exists. Until MT's press conference it was generally assumed that she and JC got along splendidly and that JC actually helped Henri and MT to bring about their marriage.

Last edited:
I think in regards to MT and Stephanie it might be worth considering that Stephanie doe snot have any children, I don't know but maybe this is why they do not seem to be together quite so much.

Certainly we seem to see MT with Claire and Tessy more but that may just be the way it seems, who knows what goes on behind the scenes. I'm sure they must have more interactions as Claire and Tessy don't live in Lux but Stephanie does.

I suspect if MT had such a hard time with her own mother in law she would go out her way to be accommodating and supporting of her own daughters in law.

Difficult choise. I don't know and therefore I have not vote jet. Maybe Princess Margriet

Yep, I choose Princess Margriet.
Nothing at the expense of all the other royal-in-law said, they all have their good sides, but Princess Margriet came first in my mind and remains the first choice.:flowers:

How are/were Josephine-Charlotte and Maria Theresa related ?

Grand Duchess (and Princess) Josephine Charlotte was Grand Duchess Maria Teresa's mother in law. They had a rather difficult relationship.

Now that we're talking royal mother-in-laws, its come to my mind that I've never heard anything about the relationship (if there even was one) between Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother and Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark (Princess Alice of Battenburg).

Not being an expert in either of their lives, the little I know of both women, they seem to be totally different in character somewhat. Its been told that Alice lived for a while at Buckingham Palace so she must have, at some time, crossed paths with the Queen Mum. Perhaps a clue would be that its been told you could always tell where Alice was by the cloud of smoke surrounding her. Did the Queen Mum sit with Alice over gin and tonics or did she flee for the hills on the first whiff of smoke?

They were both very remarkable women who raised very remarkable children and it would be interesting to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom