The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Serene Highness

I think it would be interesting to be a royal assistant to Kate Middleton. I'm assuming once she's married to Prince William that she would have an assistant. Most likely though she would get someone whose already experienced.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Nobility

I would like to be Princess Claire or Princess Mathilde's assissant

Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

If Princess Di were alive, she would be my first choice. Also would choose CP. Mary, or Kate Middleton. Or the Countess of Wessex.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:41 AM
Majesty

How To Work For Royalty

dear all,

I thought this would be an interesting topic. Some courts, like the british one, will publish a list of jobs and posts open, and one can apply to them, but most don't (the spanish one, for example, doesn't seem to publish them, and posts seem to get filled in by people who worked in diplomacy or public service in the past, or by word of mouth).

How does one get a job or post at a royal court? the answers may depend on the house specifically, so if it relates to a specific royal household, don't forget to add which one it is
Old 11-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

As for the DRF, there is no doubt in my mind: It's word of mouth or otherwise through an extended network. And that goes all the way down to the cleaners.

When we are talking about senior court officials, it's people who are already known to some degree by other advisers or court officials. They are then approached to see if they are interested. That's how the current Chief of Court was employed.
Other senior court officials have a military background, requiring talent for organization and leading people. That's how the Masters of Ceremonies have been employed.

As for footmen and employees at the royal stables. Some of them are brought in when young. In at least once case after having served as a volunteer conscript with the Guards Hussars. The women in question then served at the stables before becoming a footman.

Then there are cleaners. They are almost invariably people who have worked for the state, say in ministries before and as such are already cleared and who potentially could have had access to confidential info. Working for the court is a relatively cozy job as a cleaner. You don't have to run ever faster, but can take more time in doing the job properly - a luxury few cleaners have nowadays. And often an employee at the court have access to rent an apartment at the Amalienborg complex at a very affordable price, considering the location!
Such a post formally has to be advertised, but in reality those who seek such a job is rarely an outsider.

In short: It's people who are known, recommended and approached and encouraged to seek a specific position at court.

Naturally all employees have to cleared by PET, that's no secret and as a state employee they have to sign a letter of confidence, making it a criminal offense to talk about sensitive matters to anyone.

M&F's cook for example is the husband of a friend of M&F.

Then there are the staff of adjutants. Being an adjutant for the DRF is not a temporary posting as in other countries. They apply and if accepted basically can remain adjutants until retirement or they seek another post. So a number of QMII's staff of adjutants have been around for years.
Just as with being the Captain of Dannebrog, it's usually the last position they have before retirement.

The drivers however are seconded from the military. I have an army-buddy who now drives or the DRF. They are usually recruited among career NCO's who have served for a long time and who now has this as a little cozy job, before retiring or returning to their unit. It's considered a little reward - it also means that you (and your family) don't have to relocate to a new posting at least for a few years.
These drivers undergo special training in evasive driving at FET (The military intelligence service) and a course in protocol.

Then there are the Ladies in Waiting. They are personal friends of the female royal in question. As it is considered an honor to serve the royal family they are not paid a salary, but only get expenses covered. They are not employees, they are above that.

As for nannies, and here speaking of the nannies employed by M&F, that must clearly have been through a network. Mette Hansen, is by profession a very qualified nurse at Rigshospitalet. So someone would have known her and recommended her.
At least one nanny, a British nanny, was employed through a very renowned British agency. They are highly trained, highly recommended and very discreet.
Mary's stylist and certainly former Chamber Maid, was recommended through the network of her hairdresser, Søren Hedegaard. The now dead Chamber Maid came from the world of theater and Søren Heedegaard's husband knew her very well.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:31 PM
Majesty

thanks for your detailed answer, mulher! it's a fascinating topic.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:21 PM
Majesty

I would like to work for His Imperial and Royal Highness Archduke Imre of Austria. It would be interesting to travel to the various imperial residences.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles, I like jobs where I can learn things.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Caroline, absolutely. She seems such a kind, warm woman with a very elegant and chique air about her. Plus she must have juicy gossip to tell and I'm all ears.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To be honest, I don't think I'd want to be a personal assistant to any of them. Even with all the perks that seem to come with job. I like following the ins and outs of royalty but I wouldn't want to live the life myself.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
To be honest, I don't think I'd want to be a personal assistant to any of them. Even with all the perks that seem to come with job. I like following the ins and outs of royalty but I wouldn't want to live the life myself.
Yes, nobody's assistant. They all have superbig egos and I can imagine that there never will be a working relationship eye to eye.
Besides, you will have to sign lots contracts confidentiality etc and you will be 24 hours on the job what makes you a modern slave. No thank you.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Yes, nobody's assistant. They all have superbig egos and I can imagine that there never will be a working relationship eye to eye.
Besides, you will have to sign lots contracts confidentiality etc and you will be 24 hours on the job what makes you a modern slave. No thank you.
For me, its not even the downside to the job. Its just something that doesn't appeal to me at all. Then again, I'm retired, my time is my own and I'm Queen of my own little plot of land in a forest and set in my ways.

If I had to be thrust into that kind of a life though in tune with the topic of the thread, I'm going to have to say the one I'd be most comfortable working for would be Queen "Daisy" Margrethe. I think we'd get along famously.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

If I had to be someone's assistant, I would pick someone like Victoria or Maxima who do a lot of work for NGOs like the UN, I think it would be much more interesting than one of the Royals who just floats around.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Majesty

Like others I wouldn't want to be assistant to any Royal really, but if I absolutely had to ---

1 Maxima, because I would learn some interesting things, hopefully.

2 Harry. He's always been a favourite of mine and I'd like to find our what he's really like.

3 The Queen. Even though she has now slowed down a little I think it would be fascinating.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

British royal I would Charles or Harry. I respect the work they both do, and all the travel they both do would be a perk.

Continent I would say someone like Max who I admire all her work with UN and such.

But I couldn't picture doing it. Maybe because I am happier doing what I do and helping people hands on. Leave the admin side to others. I'd much rather be working in a hospital then following a royal around when they tour it.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:41 PM
Majesty

That's easy. The Duke or Duchess of Cambridge. Both are excellent role models and do wonderful charity work.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Courtier

I would like to work for a queen, either regnant or consort.

TMs Queens Sonja and Margrethe are so artistic and seem like such organized and confident individuals. HM Queen Elizabeth of the UK would also be a very desirable employer, so serene and sensible.

The royal I would least like to work for is HRH Prince Charles. I've read many accounts of his chaotic management style and disgruntled backbiting staff.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 AM
Royal Highness

Oh it would most surely be Queen Daisy of Denmark, this lady loves life period, every time I see her there is that smile from ear to ear. And her love of art and color and needlework and gardening........her love of life shows in her home with all the colors that she uses. A very artistic lady indeed!
Old 10-19-2020, 04:18 AM
Majesty

Valet/Maid

Gentlemen: Which Royal gentleman would you like to be a valet to?

Ladies: Which Royal lady would you like to be a maid to?

I would like to be a valet to Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia. I would be interested in learning about the royal German castles and palaces.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Gentlemen: Which Royal gentleman would you like to be a valet to?

Ladies: Which Royal lady would you like to be a maid to?

I would like to be a valet to Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia. I would be interested in learning about the royal German castles and palaces.
I wouldnt want to be anyone's maid