The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-20-2021, 03:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Hmmm, I'll vote for Prince William of Gloucester. He was drop-dead gorgeous, intelligent, debonair, with piercing blue eyes. He was said to enjoy being around older woman, since the younger, giddy ladies his age or younger tended to fawn over him.

In fact, William of Gloucester fell in love with an older, divorced woman during his diplomatic career in Japan. Sadly, his stuffy family, obsessed with old prohibitions surrounding 'divorce,' purely due to the abdication of you know who, destroyed his 'soulmate' romance and thus his life. He was deeply despondent when he tragically died in a light aircraft crash in 1972. The Windsors swept the whole thing, along with his memory, under the rug.

His story needs to be told. Not only because of how handsome and accomplished he was, but also because in my opinion, it offers a huge piece to the puzzle of the Windsor dynasty. There is a documentary floating around on YouTube, The Other Prince William. But this delightful, yet doomed love story is ripe and rich enough in depth to become an epic series on Netflix or Masterpiece Theater. Sadly, I heard that William's beautiful lost love, Zsuzsi Starkloff, who lived in Colorado, if I'm not mistaken, died sometime in the Spring of 2020. She was in her 80s, and she cherished William's love and his memory to the end.

Prince William of Gloucester is the William I'd have married in a heartbeat. Not so much his namesake. (Not that either would have ever asked me. LOL).

Prince Charles looked up to his older second cousin. He named his first son after him. Pity that Prince William of Gloucester's story is little known and he himself has been forgotten almost completely. He inherited his 'handsome genes' after his beautiful mother, who lived to a ripe old age: Princess Alice.

I see that Princess Alice had Scottish roots. Her father was an Earl, and later the Duke of Buccleuch, and of Queensberry; her mother was a member of the British aristocracy. I wonder why Princess Alice received the 'princess' title outright and was not known as Princess Henry of Gloucester? Is this because she was already titled and of royal lineage? She is a direct line descendant of Charles II, via one of his illegitimate sons. Alice's mother is related through a cousin to Sarah, Duchess of York's paternal family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince..._of_Gloucester

Prince William of Gloucester was considered a miracle child, since Princess Alice had a lot of difficulty conceiving and bringing a baby to term. I believe she was 40 when she finally gave birth to William. And then came younger son, and the current Duke, Richard. He takes more after the Windsors in looks. His older brother William got all the handsome genes:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/e72bfe74...r8ero1_640.png

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015...9551973992.jpg

https://alchetron.com/cdn/prince-wil...esize-750.jpeg
Ahhh.. a coinky dink for sure but I just posted the link to that YouTube documentary on Prince William of Gloucester yesterday in the "Most Popular Prince/Princess" thread in Royal Chit Chat. He really was good looking but tragically thwarted in love due to "restrictions" of being "royal".

Old 02-20-2021, 05:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Ahhh.. a coinky dink for sure but I just posted the link to that YouTube documentary on Prince William of Gloucester yesterday in the "Most Popular Prince/Princess" thread in Royal Chit Chat. He really was good looking but tragically thwarted in love due to "restrictions" of being "royal".
It was a different time then, divorce was frowned upon in many circles not just Royal circles. Also, Margaret as well, they could have married but both would have lost their place in the succession etc etc. In hindsight would it have mattered the queen had 4 children , the chances of either Margaret or William reaching the throne was quite remote. Life is about choices, maybe they did put duty before love or maybe they didn't.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
It was a different time then, divorce was frowned upon in many circles not just Royal circles. Also, Margaret as well, they could have married but both would have lost their place in the succession etc etc. In hindsight would it have mattered the queen had 4 children , the chances of either Margaret or William reaching the throne was quite remote. Life is about choices, maybe they did put duty before love or maybe they didn't.
Im sure Will could have married this lady if he'd really wanted to. Margo was allowed in the end (if she wanted) to marry Townsend, only she would have had to step out of the succession. She chose not to. William was further don the line, so if he had wanted to drop out of the succession and marry abroad, I'm sure he could hve done so...
Old 02-20-2021, 07:47 AM
Royal Highness

Yes, William of Gloucester was a very handsome man, and a very sad life and ending.
I rather like it that William of Cam. actually resembles the man he was named after.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:46 AM
Royal Highness

Ahhh, thanks for the explanation. I always thought that Princess Alice was a royal princess by birth. I didn't look into her background until now. I think she was rather close and very respectful of the Queen. Alice was part of the aristocracy and from an old-fashioned time. So she never apparently questioned tradition, although I believe that neither she nor Henry, Duke of Gloucester were against their son marrying the woman he loved.

They along with the rest of the Windsors (even Princess Margaret after what she'd endured) all seemed to adhere to the old-fashioned notions of being appalled about Zsuzui's divorce, her hardly noticeable older age, the fact she had two young daughters, and she was apparently originally from Hungary and also Jewish, I believe. Here's an obituary:

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/...ana-starkloff/
Old 02-20-2021, 09:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Yes, William of Gloucester was a very handsome man, and a very sad life and ending.
I rather like it that William of Cam. actually resembles the man he was named after.
Hmmm, not really to my eyes. There is the similar long face, but current William more-so resembled his mother Diana when he was younger. Not as much anymore. He's definitely lost his hair and his good looks.

William of Gloucester was strikingly handsome, with piercing sky-blue eyes. And he still had a full head of dark hair in his early 30s. He was also extremely intelligent, as one of the more learned and academic Windsors, of which there are hardly any. He also was diagnosed with the same hereditary disease that it's believed George III suffered from in a time when nothing was understood about porphyria medically. There wasn't even a name for it back then. George III was driven mad by the painful and unnecessary treatments for an already painful disease doctors at that time had no understanding of. William of Gloucester had to take certain precautions, but there were modern medications available luckily.

In the YouTube documentary, William of Gloucester also has a lovely, soft-spoken yet manly voice. Altogether, the world and the royal family lost someone special. And the Windsors never ever publicly acknowledge his memory, aside from Charles naming his first son after him.

It had to be a horrible shock when he died in the air crash. But surely someone should have also seen how depressed and despondent he was at being leaned on to make the choice to give up someone who was a true soulmate. He was so dashing, debonair and enchanting altogether. I'm not sure how his mother could bear the loss. Of course, she still had Richard, but William was special. I'm sure it was a huge loss for Richard as well, particularly since he'd planned to become a professional architect, but gave it up because suddenly heir to Dukedom and royal duty, yadda yadda.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Maybe it's just me but watching the video, I saw a striking resemblance between William and his Uncle David. Both men were heart throbs in their time and very, very popular until life stepped in and changed things for both of them.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

I agree that William of Gloucester was fascinating, but PLEASE can we not have yet ANOTHER thread about a member of the British Royal Family?

Can we move on please?

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 02-20-2021, 06:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I agree that William of Gloucester was fascinating, but PLEASE can we not have yet ANOTHER thread about a member of the British Royal Family?

Can we move on please?
I'm all for that. There are plenty of royals not in the BRF that are/were popular. I think Prince Daniel of Sweden is hugely popular and his and Victoria's love story ranks right up there as almost legendary. Their wedding is still one of my favorites of all time.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

I thought this thread was meant more about the family we would marry into, then any particular member of it.

But at least I thought 'living member' if we are going specific.

I guess there are a few other Williams if we go doing into royal crypts for husbands

Daniel is good looking and charming, but he is a commoner. So if you married him instead of him marrying Victoria, no royal life for you sadly.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yeps.. we're veering off the topic of marriage. I'll stick to my original thought that I'd not marry into royalty and go running screaming the other way. :)

Royal life has never appealed to me. Nor does "celebrity" either. I'm too much of a private person and a recluse to relish public attention of any kind.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Me too to be perfectly honest. I wouldn't last a month.

Anonymous and wealthy would, for me, equal absolute NIRVANA.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 02-20-2021, 10:31 PM
Aristocracy

I'd marry Prince Harry! He needs a real woman, and I would be supportive of his family while we complete our royal duties. Harry would be fun (Pre-Meghan of course) and I think he was quite handsome.

Second choice Prince Felix of Luxembourg.

Third choice Prince Albert of Monaco.

Fourth choice Prince William.

My final choice is Prince Carl Phillip of Sweden.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_Watcher View Post
I'd marry Prince Harry! He needs a real woman, and I would be supportive of his family while we complete our royal duties. Harry would be fun (Pre-Meghan of course) and I think he was quite handsome.

Second choice Prince Felix of Luxembourg.

Third choice Prince Albert of Monaco.

Fourth choice Prince William.

My final choice is Prince Carl Phillip of Sweden.
Your choices seem to a broad range in character and style.

I do have to wonder what you idea of a 'real woman' is. Because you seem to think you'd suit a wide range of men with very different concepts of what the right woman is for them.

This thread was what royal family do you see yourself fitting in to.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:46 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
And the Windsors never ever publicly acknowledge his memory, aside from Charles naming his first son after him.
In your opinion, how should the BRF publicly acknowledge his memory?