Which Royal Family Would You Marry Into?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'd opt for the Lux royals. They seem to be nice and happy, and seem to live fairly quietly.

The family I'd least like to join is the Belgian one or the Japanese (not due to the Japanese royal house itself, but that Imperial Agency).

My heart is in . . . You guessed it . . . "Denmark" :flowers: one of the nicest families.

Last edited:
Unless we could get a royal family to move to Australia I don't want to join any RF as I don't want to leave the best country in the world.

Plus I would really hate being judged for my clothes hair etc.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I agree with you. I certainly would not want to leave my own beautiful country for this and only this I would say the Greek RF.:)

Hmmm...let's see.

More $$ than I could ever spend in one lifetime. Beautiful seaside palaces and villas in a moderate Mediterranean climate. Beautiful people everywhere. Access to the most delicious cuisine and first rate clothing designers. Very little crime. No homeless.No taxes. No pesky press or public nagging me about how much work I do or don't do or how much money I spend.

And speaking of "work"...nothing more strenuous than the Grand Prix or charity balls...ever.

Yes you guessed. I wanna be a GRIMALDI sooo bad:D!!

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
I wouldn't want to leave Australia either. I would say one of the Scandi monarchies, but I don't think I'd be able to stand the long harsh winters.

It would have to be a stable country and one where you could relax quite a bit. The Luxembourg Royal family looks very nice, especially the Grand Duke and Duchess, Henri and Maria Teresa.

It's a pity Italy is a republic. I think it would be lovely to live in Rome or Florence in an ancient palace.

I have to agree that the Luxes have it pretty good. The country is tiny, lovely and relatively prosperous. The RF is not on the radar of the international paps, so along with their considerable wealth they can also live in privacy. Their marriages seem stable and happy, and scandals are few and far between. They behave(publically anyway) with the dignity expected of their rank. The press is respectful.

the United Kingdom. I wish Austria still had a monarchy. Would love that!

Hmm, decisions, decisions :D

Last edited:
French any day! :flowers: Non-reigning all the better.

I really can't choose for a reigning. I wouldn't want to be trapped in a goldfish bowl. Worse possible fate imo. No life. So given that bias, maybe Luxembourg. :flowers:

:previous:We think so much alike at times it's unnerving, Lady N!;)

As a lifelong Francophile, I'd adore to be a member of their (defunct) Royal family...and no, I also could not deal with living under a constant microscope or fishbowl.

The Luxes have got it made, imo.

Ahh, this is an interesting thread! I've read through the earlier posts and moonmaiden23 and Lady Nimue, you've got it spot on! Monaco just appeals to me on all levels! I have always loved everything French and in particular the South of France. And even better if you could be a Royal and have a strong French connection.

And it is also one of the main reasons why I like P Charlene so much. To me the love story of P Albert and Charlene Wittstock reads like a modern day fairy tale. In reading through the older threads when their relationship first started, I noticed that very few gave her a chance of surviving and making it in Monaco. Now, 10 years later, she has largely silenced those critics and is much loved and admired by most.

I don't know too much about the Luxembourg family, but I agree that they seem like a happy and stable family, are not overly criticised and run a successful and prosperous country.

But my second choice as a Royal family would be the Dutch or Belgian. Whereas Q Maxima has brought some oomph! to the family, Q Mathilde seems always perfect, calm and level headed. Also both have wonderful traditions and ceremony like the British have, but I enjoy their more relaxed approach and demeanor better.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

We think so much alike at times it's unnerving, Lady N! ;)
:flowers:

As a lifelong Francophile, I'd adore to be a member of their (defunct) Royal family...and no, I also could not deal with living under a constant microscope or fishbowl.

Great minds........;)

The Luxes have got it made, imo.

Yep.

Ahh, this is an interesting thread! I've read through the earlier posts and moonmaiden23 and Lady Nimue, you've got it spot on!

We are a club! ;)

I am averse to the built-in aspect of some royal families, like the BRF. Was just reading a thread where the children Prince George and Princess Charlotte were having their formal adult work life being assumed and plotted out (understandably so - unless William changes things big-time by their time, which he might). I felt claustrophobic just reading about it. Not anything I would wish on myself. :flowers:

The Dutch, the Netherlands is a liberal country, and the royal family also seems to hold those views. The members of the royal family all tend to be well educated, and have been able to find work or continue working in fields that interest them, not only be active in royal representation, but still participate in major royal events. I would want to continue working with something I like doing, and perhaps be able to do things and/or help people in a practical manner, and not be just a royal representative.

The Princely Family of Liechtenstein
I like the history of the royal art of Liechtenstein.

The British royal family but I don't like winter so I don't think I'd be much good living in the UK.

I know which family I definitely wouldn't want to be married to, not for all the money on this earth, and that is the BRF.

I think the Netherlands royal family is a close one, and I like the way the Danish Royals operate also. Neither of those countries has a rabid tabloid press either, which would be a bonus.

My answer would have to be: None of them. I'd run screaming in the opposite direction as fast as I could. Being in the public eye, even momentarily, gives me the heebeejeebees. I prefer to be a "nobody" that can make a milk run in the morning with pajamas on under my coat wearing my slippers. :D

MONACO. Adoring citizens. Respectful press. No sniping about what I am costing the taxpayers. Too much $$ to count. Beautiful Italianate palace and villas overlooking the Med. Glamorous public appearances mostly connected with charity and the arts. Sunny climate.

All the perks of royalty with very few of the limitations and restrictions. ...seriously...what's not to love??:D

Lichtenstein would be a pretty sweet deal as well..for many of the same reasons.;)

I wouldn't marry into Britain or Spain if my life depended on it.:ermm:

Last edited:
I'd happily marry into the Danish, Swedish, Dutch and Norweigian RFs - the families and operations of the RF-brand seem more down to earth and modern in their thinking. The families look close-knit and have been very accepting to foreigners - Maxima and Mary are the prime examples.

I wouldn't marry into the British, Spanish and Japanese Royal Families if my life depended on it.

You didn't change much in over 5 years :D

Hmmm...let's see.

More $$ than I could ever spend in one lifetime. Beautiful seaside palaces and villas in a moderate Mediterranean climate. Beautiful people everywhere. Access to the most delicious cuisine and first rate clothing designers. Very little crime. No homeless.No taxes. No pesky press or public nagging me about how much work I do or don't do or how much money I spend.

And speaking of "work"...nothing more strenuous than the Grand Prix or charity balls...ever.

Yes you guessed. I wanna be a GRIMALDI sooo bad:D!!

MONACO. Adoring citizens. Respectful press. No sniping and about what I am costing the taxpayers. Too much $$ to count. Beautiful Italianate palace overlooking the Med. Glamorous public appearances mostly connected with charity and the arts. Sunny climate.

All the perks of royalty with very few of the limitations and restrictions. ...seriously...what's not to love??:D

Lichtenstein would be a pretty sweet deal as well..for many of the same reasons.;)

:previous: It's true I haven't changed....and I doubt I ever will!:lol:;)

My first thought was the Danish Royal Family, as they were very helpful to Mary Donaldson transition into the role and they are a cosy and loving family. However!! The winters there would kill me.
I changed my mind after reading Moonmaidens post. Yes the warmer climes of Monaco would suit me best. And I would have no trouble in taking a back seat to Princess Caroline. Monaco has my vote for the food, warmer climate, the exciting buzz of many events, the gorgeous views and interesting people.

The Liechtenstein royals. The richest royal family in Europe who are barely known by the general public, always discreet and under-the-radar. I guess the legacy of years of managing/ preserving ancient banking wealth involved strategic maneuvering to remain on the right side of powerful factions. This experience surely helped the family learn and pass down through the years a knowledge of how to conduct their lives without a lot of fanfare and unwanted publicity.

Or maybe in part, the fact that Liechtenstein is a small principality helped. Still, the family's ancestors must have been quite savvy as well in how they retained and further built their wealth, without a huge amount of public scrutiny or undue conflict or family scandals.

I also agree with other posters that the Swedish, Danish and I'd add the Netherlands royal families seem in most respects quite sane, intelligent, savvy, modern/ up-to-date, and generally kind to each other and to their respective citizens.

Last edited:
MONACO. Adoring citizens. Respectful press. No sniping and about what I am costing the taxpayers. Too much $$ to count. Beautiful Italianate palace overlooking the Med. Glamorous public appearances mostly connected with charity and the arts. Sunny climate.

On the taxpayer part: a good moment to destroy the myth that there are no taxes in Monaco. The expenses of the Palais Princier amount between 35 and 40 million Euro of taxpayers' money per year. This is more than what the State has budgetted for public waste collection, public cleaning service, public transport and public lighting. Calculated per capita, the House of Monaco is the most expensive for the taxpayers.

Living in overcrowded Monte-Carlo:
The whole principality is about 3km across and 1km deep.
There are blocks of flats everywhere you look, it’s unbelievable how many apartment blocks have been crowded into such a small area of land. It’s a concrete jungle.

Faded Glory in Monte-Carlo:
Most buildings are old and worn out, most of the apartments are small and build in the seventies and eighties.

Sunday in Monte-Carlo:
Only 10.000 of the 30.000 ‘inhabitants’ (of which only 6.000 are real monégasques) are really living there. So it always feels like it is Sunday morning.

No nature in Monte-Carlo:
There is virtually no nature here whatsoever – just concrete roads and apartment blocks. Instinctively many residents feel better when out of Monaco, if only for the fact that they get to see a few trees and some grass.

Boring Monte-Carlo:
There isn’t that much to do in Monaco. For a minute village, it’s not bad, but compared to any other medium-sized city (Nice, Cannes, Antibes, Saint-Tropez, Toulon, etc.) there just isn’t much to do at all.

Paradox in wealth in Monte-Carlo:
One literally sees at least thirty Ferraris or Lamborghinis every day. Everyone is surrounded by garish jewellery stores and designers. It’s status-obsessed and yet no one can get any real status through material possessions here because everyone is so wealthy – it’s a bizarre paradox.

Conclusion: glitter on the outside, deadly boredom on the inside. Avoid marrying into that family!

Last edited:
I would choose the Luxembourg grand-ducal family, traditionnal and respected family in a country close to France, Germany, and Belgium. Discreet enough to not be followed by the press.
The family seems nice also.

Boring Monte-Carlo:
There isn’t that much to do in Monaco. For a minute village, it’s not bad, but compared to any other medium-sized city (Nice, Cannes, Antibes, Saint-Tropez, Toulon, etc.) there just isn’t much to do at all.

I agree on this part. If you ever marry a Monegasque "royal", be sure to live outside Monaco. I love Toulon, especially the old Toulon.

Last edited:
The Liechtenstein royals. The richest royal family in Europe who are barely known by the general public, always discreet and under-the-radar. I guess the legacy of years of managing/ preserving ancient banking wealth involved strategic maneuvering to remain on the right side of powerful factions. This experience surely helped the family learn and pass down through the years a knowledge of how to conduct their lives without a lot of fanfare and unwanted publicity.

Or maybe in part, the fact that Liechtenstein is a small principality helped. Still, the family's ancestors must have been quite savvy as well in how they retained and further built their wealth, without a huge amount of public scrutiny or undue conflict or family scandals.

I also agree with other posters that the Swedish, Danish and I'd add the Netherlands royal families seem in most respects quite sane, intelligent, savvy, modern/ up-to-date, and generally kind to each other and to their respective citizens.

The princely family Von und zu Liechtenstein is wealthy in properties which is not the same as wealthy in cash. Famous is the quote of the late Duchess of Alba whom once remarked: "I can not go to the supermarket with a Rembrandt under my arm". With this saying: "nice that everyone attributes so much money to me, but I do not see it in my wallet".

The princely family Von und zu Liechtenstein is an enormous family. Together they own wonderful and historic collections. The value which is attributed to these properties is translated in "Oh, they are mega-rich" but every princeling simply has a job to earn their living, actually.

It is the same as saying to Máxima or Silvia: gosh, your jewelry cassettes are bursting out of fabulous diamonds, your palaces are full of artworks, you are so rich! But magazines as Forbes conveniently ignore the fact that they can never cash on these diamonds and artworks as these are safely stocked away in legal entities to prevent a break-up and fragmentation of properties.

Undoubtedly the princely family Von und zu Liechtenstein will be quite well-off. But all princelings seem to have a modest lifestyle and a daily job. By lack of any royal life, they are living quite normal lives like you and me.

Last edited:
I would also choose the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg. It's a traditional, respected family. Apart from that it is a well located country, close to France, Belgium and Germany.
It's a very discreet family and I think that's important.

I would also choose the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg. It's a traditional, respected family. Apart from that it is a well located country, close to France, Belgium and Germany.
It's a very discreet family and I think that's important.

"Respected" is a bit a wobbly assumption. The Grand-Duke infuriated the Luxembourgers when he wanted to sell parts of his late mother's inheritance. After a promise not to sell, most of it was secretly sold anyway (!).

The Grand-Duke was ripped from his role in the legislative process with an unanimous (!) vote in Parliament when he refused to consent a Bill which passed the whole democratic and legislative process.

The Grand-Duke recently came under heavy criticism because of the Report by M Jeannot Waringo which confirmed 51 of a total staff of 110 working for the Grand-Duke resigned or were dismissed in the last 5 years. Waringo described an atmosphere of fear among staff, and proposed all future recruitment no longer to be signed by the Grand-Duke but by the Government. (Again another role of the Grand-Duke taken away...).

M Waringo also highlighted that it was unclear exactly how many staff were required for the functioning of the Court and admitted he was unable to ascertain whether the Grand-Duke's private activities were financed by the State or not.

All this, plus the Grand-Duchess' antics in the last months (staying in Biarritz, near the Spanish border while the Grand-Duchy suffers the Pandemic) did not so much for the "respect" for the Grand-Duke and his family.

Last edited:
The British royal family but I don't like winter so I don't think I'd be much good living in the UK.

Winters are not harsh at all in the UK. In fact, they are actually quite mild compared to the American Northeast or Midwest and much milder compared to Canada or Russia for example. Snow is quite rare, except for a few days in the year and temperatures don't normally fall below 0 C (32 F).

The flipside is that summers are cool, meaning it never gets really warm either , again with the exception of some occasional heat waves. I actually find it a better climate than in the aforementioned areas of the US were winters can get really cold (with plenty of snow and stuff), but summers also get very hot.

Hi Duc_et_Pair, thanks for your sharing but I don't think it's necessary to single out every other posters' choice and comment with your critical insight, maybe everyone has different subjective feelings, just relax and has some chat :flowers:.

It's pretty hard for me to imagine living in a new place with different language, weather, culture, religious, etc. But well it's just a fantasy so...:D

The Scandinavia will be my first pick, maybe 1st will be Norway as I adore the senior trio (Harald, Sonja and Astrid), then Sweden.

BRF and JIF definitely will be at the bottom of my list. Japan probably is one of my favourites countries but no, traveling is great, living there (especially in JIF), is a big no.

I would have liked to be on Duchess of Varmland's place - King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia seem so warm and kind-hearted people.

Back
Top Bottom