Unmarried, Single & Eligible Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no religious problem for Prince Gabriel of Belgium to marry the Princess of Orange. After all Amalia's very own parents are Protestant and Roman-Catholic. There is also no legal blockade for Prince Gabriel to marry the Princess of Orange. It are the members of the House Orange-Nassau which are "for ever" excluded from any public position in Belgium. But Prince Gabriel goes the other way: he marries into the Royal House of the Netherlands.

It would be a most interesting union indeed. As it is doubtful they would use the territorial designation Prince(ss) of Belgium for Gabriel's descendants, possibly they will return to the dynastical designation:

ZKH prins NN der Nederlanden, prins van Oranje-Nassau, prins van Saksen-Coburg en Gotha, hertog van Saksen

or
HKH prinses NN der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau, prinses van Saksen-Coburg en Gotha, hertogin van Saksen

Last edited:
Well, I really hope one of these heir and heiresses will marry one from a reigning royal family. I really really hope so. And I hope it will be out of love just like their parents.

Well, I really hope one of these heir and heiresses will marry one from a reigning royal family. I really really hope so. And I hope it will be out of love just like their parents.

Well, it is a distinct possibility, since most of the parents of the children discussed here know each other well and most are even personal friends.
And as the parents attends each others birthdays and major family events, the children are now reaching the age where they will begin to come along as well. Especially those who are destined to sit on a throne or be the spare - also as a part of on the job training.
So most of them are bound to meet in both a formal and informal setting, simply by being who they are. And I imagine some are already in touch regularly via Facebook, Instagram and what not or. And I seem to recall that one of the Dutch girls, I think, dabble in a personal blog.

But at least on the shorter lane, i.e. when they start dating, an age-difference of no more than two-three years is more realistic.

- Which means that Christian of DK, can soon start dating Alexia of NL, and eventually marry her. He just needs a little push in direction of the Netherlands. ?

Isabella of DK, I understand, has already visited the Belgian royals privately, so is a Protestant girl, who is sensible, fun-loving, fond of tennis and riding of interest?

Josephine of DK is fond of riding and dancing, full of mischief and not at all shy about the cameras, on the contrary... - That should come in handy in the BRF. So perhaps we should put her aside for George of UK?
There is admittedly an age difference though.

Now, Ingrid of Norway. She is a nice person, sensible, intelligent and articulate. How about Gabriel of Belgium? But he is a bit young though.
Then we have Nikolai of DK. Tall, intelligent, reserved, sensitive, a bit of a thinker. And a year or two older than Ingrid. Yeees, that could work. Ingrid can spend the long winter nights playing with his long dark hair... Or cut it. :D

Well, it is a distinct possibility, since most of the parents of the children discussed here know each other well and most are even personal friends.
And as the parents attends each others birthdays and major family events, the children are now reaching the age where they will begin to come along as well. Especially those who are destined to sit on a throne or be the spare - also as a part of on the job training.
So most of them are bound to meet in both a formal and informal setting, simply by being who they are. And I imagine some are already in touch regularly via Facebook, Instagram and what not or. And I seem to recall that one of the Dutch girls, I think, dabble in a personal blog.

I think the fact that all of the parents know each other, makes it LESS likely that they will fall in love and marry. They will all see each other as cousins, growing up together.

I think the fact that all of the parents know each other, makes it LESS likely that they will fall in love and marry. They will all see each other as cousins, growing up together.

Well... Prince Constantijn has known Laurentien all his life as her parents were (and are) befriended with Princess Beatrix since university. It did not stop Prince Constantijn and Laurentien to develop a love relationship which continues to present day...

So never rule out the possibility that Ingrid Alexandra will fall in love with Nicolai.

:lol:

Yep.

And remember the Greeks. They fell in love when Queen Anne-Marie was a teenager - and they are still married and by all accounts happy.

So with an extended pool of what, 30-40 or so royal children within an age range of no more than 18 years, chances are that Cupid will be successful with an arrow or two.
Some will (hopefully) develop a close friendships and pretty much see each other as not only a kind of close relatives but also someone who share a destiny.
But when we include the younger siblings and the children of the spares, then the chances of an inter-royal relationship and perhaps marriage begin to increase.

I mean if you are a young royal, especially if you are child of an heir or a monarch, then there are distinct advantages of befriending and/or dating a fellow royal.
- They know and understand the life you live.
- Coming from a similar background you may perhaps find it easier to find someone to trust and confide in among a fellow royal.
- There are less chances of unfortunate photos and videos suddenly emerging on the Net, posted by someone you thought loved you. because this must be something young royals (and their parents) must always have in the back of their minds, I imagine.
- And there is less chance that a fellow royal will spill confidential gossip to the tabloids.

Beforehand there were less outlets for such material, and the press could always be pressured into not publishing, either through the legislation or by other means.
But today with all sorts of social medias, confidential gossip and photos can go viral within hours and be totally impossible to contain. As this must be a genuine concern among not least royals, I think there might be a natural tendency for royal children today to perhaps move closer together to protect themselves. Especially as some of the royal children today will almost certainly experience something along these lines at some point.

Last edited:
I would like it to see Prince Gabriel with Princess Amalia. The monarchy is no exact science but an emotion. I feel that so now and then a monarchy needs a shot of tradition. Of course it starts wuth love, do not get me wrong. But Princess Amalia with the son of her maths teacher simply feels different than with a Prince of Belgium. In my view the monarchy has to remain a monarchy indeed and not drift too far away from tradition.

I remember back when people were trying to match up George’s dad with Leonore’s Mom. :lol:
I imagine most of this speculative matches are just as unlikely as William and Madeleine.;)

And even before that , Lord Mountbatten reportedly tried to match King Carl Gustaf with Princess Anne, but apparently Carl Gustaf was not interested.

Those British/Swedish matches are recurrent because members of the two royal houses really match very well in terms of age and religion. Madeleine for example would have been perfect for William.

I like the idea of Gabriel and Leonor, or Elisabeth and a Lichtenstein Prince. After the fall of the monarchy in France, Italy, Portugal , Bavaria and Austria, there are few reigning Catholic royal families and An interdynastic marriage between those who are left would be great. I guess the last one involving ruling families was between GD Jean and Princess Josephine Charlotte and that was a long time ago.

EDIT: It has just occurred to me that , if Elisabeth of Belgium married one of the younger sons of Prince Alois, for example Nikolaus who is about her age I think, then her children, including the possible future King or Queen of the Belgians , would also be in the Jacobite line of succession to the British throne, wouldn’t they ? That would be an interesting development !

Last edited:
And even before that , Lord Mountbatten reportedly tried to match King Carl Gustaf with Princess Anne, but apparently Carl Gustaf was not interested.

Those British/Swedish matches are recurrent because members of the two royal houses really match very well in terms of age and religion. Madeleine for example would have been perfect for William.
Neither was Anne. According to the rumours her parents was apparently sympathetic to the idea since they'd met Carl Gustav many times as he grew up, but quite wisely they said it was up to the youngsters themselves to decide. Lord Mountbatten and King Gustav VI Adolf was quite anxious for the match to happen and Princess Sibylla is, according to the tabloids at the time, supposed to have said during a family meeting in the late 60s that a marriage to a member of the British Royal family was, together with a few other things she mentioned, the only way to save the Crown for her son.
To me it all sounds like the media and the rumor mill made a goose out of a feather.

Maybe well matched on paper in terms of age, religion and status but given especially Madeleine's life I can't imagine her wanting to swap being 3rd child of the King of Sweden and it's responsibilities to add being the future then Queen Consort of the UK for the rest of her life. It's one of those matches that would look good to people if we still had arranged Royal Marriages as foreign policy, but it's probably a good thing they aren't required now. Although didn't CG once say the families weren't close at all?

If it happens now in actual reigning houses it would certainly be interesting and something of a novelty but I'm not expecting it from the next generation.

There is no religious problem for Prince Gabriel of Belgium to marry the Princess of Orange. After all Amalia's very own parents are Protestant and Roman-Catholic. There is also no legal blockade for Prince Gabriel to marry the Princess of Orange. It are the members of the House Orange-Nassau which are "for ever" excluded from any public position in Belgium. But Prince Gabriel goes the other way: he marries into the Royal House of the Netherlands.

It would be a most interesting union indeed. As it is doubtful they would use the territorial designation Prince(ss) of Belgium for Gabriel's descendants, possibly they will return to the dynastical designation:

ZKH prins NN der Nederlanden, prins van Oranje-Nassau, prins van Saksen-Coburg en Gotha, hertog van Saksen

or
HKH prinses NN der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau, prinses van Saksen-Coburg en Gotha, hertogin van Saksen

Under Belgian law, any child of Prince Gabriel born while Philippe is still king will be styled Prince of Belgium in Belgium itself. Moreover, the Royal Decree of. 2015 details how they should be cited in Belgian official documents, i.e

HRH Prince/ Princess [ Names and Surname if the latter is used], Prince/Princess of Belgium, [other titles acquired by birth, e.g. Prince/Princess of the Netherlands, Prince/Princess of Orange-Nassau, etc etc]

The way they would be cited in Dutch documents , for example their birth certificates, is of course a different matter.

There is also no legal blockade for Prince Gabriel to marry the Princess of Orange. It are the members of the House Orange-Nassau which are "for ever" excluded from any public position in Belgium. But Prince Gabriel goes the other way: he marries into the Royal House of the Netherlands.

Do you have the wording of the decree? This article says that it would block a marriage between Amalia and Gabriel.

Under Belgian law, any child of Prince Gabriel born while Philippe is still king will be styled Prince of Belgium in Belgium itself. Moreover, the Royal Decree of. 2015 details how they should be cited in Belgian official documents, [...]

That is one of the possible readings of the royal decree of 2015, but I read its provisions differently (as we discussed earlier in the Belgium forum).

In any event, I think in the case of such a significant marriage all would be arranged between the governments.

Last edited:
I would prefer him to marry Leonor, the Princess of Asturias. And for Amalia perhaps Prince Felix of Denmark or Count Richard of Pfeil and Klein-Ellguth (the son of Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.
For Princess Elisabeth one of the 2 younger sons of the Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein. -

Felix or Richard indeed seem good alternatives to Gabriel and without legal or religious barriers to overcome.

or

The current princesses aren't jonkvrouw van Amsberg, so I don't think any other title than prince(ss) of the Netherlands, and of Oranje-Nassau will be given to Amalia's descendents.

The current princesses aren't jonkvrouw van Amsberg, so I don't think any other title than prince(ss) of the Netherlands, and of Oranje-Nassau will be given to Amalia's descendents.

The Titles of the fathers had always been included. Queen Juliana was also "Herzopgin zu Mecklenburg", Queen Beratrix and her sisters are alo "Prinzessin zur Lippe-Biesterfeld" and willem-Alexander ans his brothers are also '"Jonkheer van Amsberg". But they seems to have stopped this now but the Title came from their grandfather. So we wiull have wait and see if they include a title of a future husband of Princess Anmalia for their children. But then it is likely that she willö marry an untitled men

The Titles of the fathers had always been included. Queen Juliana was also "Herzopgin zu Mecklenburg", Queen Beratrix and her sisters are alo "Prinzessin zur Lippe-Biesterfeld" and willem-Alexander ans his brothers are also '"Jonkheer van Amsberg". But they seems to have stopped this now but the Title came from their grandfather. So we wiull have wait and see if they include a title of a future husband of Princess Anmalia for their children. But then it is likely that she willö marry an untitled men

Yes, you are right, until the generation of Willem-Alexander their father's titles were indeed used but 'jonkheer van Amsberg' was just as much Willem-Alexander's title as it was Claus' title (both received it from their father). Moreover, the children of Friso and Constantijn DO have the 'van Amsberg'-part included. So, my guess is that this is the new line: 'only the main two titles pass on'. It seems they want to avoid any other title 'clinging' to the main titles (of the Netherlands and of Orange-Nassau). Nonetheless, the Dutch government has been quite inconsistent regarding titles, so anything is possible :flowers: (but yes, most likely Amalia will marry an untitled man (rather than multiple men ?); and I am quite sure his surname will not be added.

but yes, most likely Amalia will marry an untitled man (rather than multiple men ?); and I am quite sure his surname will not be added.

I would imagine that any future husband of Amalia would want his name (and title if he he has one) included in the names of their children.

I would imagine that any future husband of Amalia would want his name (and title if he he has one) included in the names of their children.

He might want to but I don't think he'll get it. Just like Daniel's children don't share his surname of Westling.

He might want to but I don't think he'll get it. Just like Daniel's children don't share his surname of Westling.
Daniel might not have cared that much. Children getting their mother's surname is not unusual and since 2018 surnames aren't received by default anymore, but something the parents have to chose and report to the authorities in the same way that they do a first name.
If Amalia marries a man with an old name - patrician, noble or royal - is not to farfetched for him to want to pass it and any eventual titles to his children.

Daniel might not have cared that much. Children getting their mother's surname is not unusual and since 2018 surnames aren't received by default anymore, but something the parents have to chose and report to the authorities in the same way that they do a first name.
If Amalia marries a man with an old name - patrician, noble or royal - is not to farfetched for him to want to pass it and any eventual titles to his children.
It's not far-fetched indeed but the surname of any children is determined by parliament as it is part of the law passed to approve the marriage. So, while he can surely state his preferences and those might be taken into account (especially if the monarch of that time endorses his wish), it will not be up to him to decide.

That's part of marrying a (future) queen; your wife will take precedence in most things, including passing on titles and surname. If your not willing to sacrifice these things, you shouldn't marry a future queen. Clearly, Daniel feels comfortable in his supporting role and that's what any future queen would want. And Amalia will know the importance of her future husband being truly ok with that role based on the history of prince consorts in previous generations.

Last edited:
For so far all male consorts have had their name and/or title included for their children: Albert von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, Heinrich von Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Félix de Bourbon de Parme, Bernhard zur Lippe-Biesterfeld, Philip Mountbatten, Claus von Amsberg, Henri de Laborde de Monpezat. The only two exceptions were Pierre de Polignac (he took the surname Grimaldi) and Daniel Westling. When Amalia marries, for an example, a Graf von Waldburg-Zeil und Hohenems, it would surprise me not to see his title, surname and arms returning in his children. It had always been done so. After all these are as much his children as hers

Last edited:
The only two exceptions were Pierre de Polignac (he took the surname Grimaldi) and Daniel Westling.

Daniel actually added the name Bernadotte to Westling and is now known as Olof Daniel Westling Bernadotte in the Civil registry

Last edited:
Daniel actually added the name Bernadotte to Westling and is now known as Olof Daniel Westling Bernadotte in the Civil registry

But he didn't pass the name Westling to his descendants, which was Duc's point I guess.

By contrast, the descendants in male line of Prince Philip or Prince Claus who are not HRHs use the names respectively Mountbatten-Windsor and van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg.

But he didn't pass the name Westling to his descendants, which was Duc's point I guess.

By contrast, the descendants in male line of Prince Philip or Prince Claus who are not HRHs use the names respectively Mountbatten-Windsor and van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg.

Yes, that was the point ideed.

The children of Prince Claus bear his predicate and surname. His arms is used as a heartshield in those of his children: picture

The children of Prince Henrik bear his title and surname. His arms is used as a heartshield in those of his children: picture

I can not imagine that an eventual title or arms of a future spouse to Princess Elisabeth, Princess Amalia, etc. would be left aside in the titulature of their children. That would be an end to tradition. After all, the children are as much his as hers.

Last edited:
I got the point but just wanted to point out that the situation wasn´t exactly the same in the cases of Pierre Polignac and Daniel Westling. Neither could it have been the same since atleast the children of the Swedish monarch and the children of the heir doesn´t carry any surnames.
Although only speculation I wonder how they would have solved it if Daniel had a Swedish noble title that he quite understandably wanted to pass on to his children since these titles are connected to the surname and the King seems adamant that Estelle and Oscar are part of the Bernadotte Dynasty. You´re not the Count of Oxenstierna, but Count Oxenstierna so to add that to the titles would in effect give them a surname.

I got the point but just wanted to point out that the situation wasn´t exactly the same in the cases of Pierre Polignac and Daniel Westling. Neither could it have been the same since atleast the children of the Swedish monarch and the children of the heir doesn´t carry any surnames.
Although only speculation I wonder how they would have solved it if Daniel had a Swedish noble title that he quite understandably wanted to pass on to his children since these titles are connected to the surname and the King seems adamant that Estelle and Oscar are part of the Bernadotte Dynasty. You´re not the Count of Oxenstierna, but Count Oxenstierna so to add that to the titles would in effect give them a surname.

This might be brought up once the Crown Princess ascends the throne or else even through 'titles of nobility' like Prince Henrik's (Count of Monpezat) that was added by Queen Margrethe in 2008 to their sons and their legitimate patrilineal descendants of both sexes, the Westling name will only be forgotten.

This might be brought up once the Crown Princess ascends the throne or else even through 'titles of nobility' like Prince Henrik's (Count of Monpezat) that was added by Queen Margrethe in 2008 to their sons and their legitimate patrilineal descendants of both sexes, the Westling name will only be forgotten.
I realised that I might be wrong. There are members of the Swedish nobility that for different reasons go by other surnames than that of their family. Though I'm not sure how that would work in titled families. Could you be f ex Count Andersson when the name of your family really is Count Ekeblad. Anyway having a Prince XX, Duke of XX, Count Ekeblad who's still a Bernadotte would seem possible.

I realised that I might be wrong. There are members of the Swedish nobility that for different reasons go by other surnames than that of their family. Though I'm not sure how that would work in titled families. Could you be f ex Count Andersson when the name of your family really is Count Ekeblad. Anyway having a Prince XX, Duke of XX, Count Ekeblad who's still a Bernadotte would seem possible.

I am really confused about how those titles work in Sweden and, in all those years, I haven't been able to find a satisfactory answer.

From what I understand, nobility is no longer regulated by law in Sweden and new nobility cannot be conferred. Moreover, it appears that titles are neither part of someone's legal name nor appear in any official document like passports or birth certificates. On the other hand, however, the House of Nobility still exists as a private civic association and the families represented therein are still privately referred to by their titles, which, I guess, is not forbidden by law.

If the Crown Princess or any other Princess of Sweden for that matter married a member of the Swedish nobility whose title passed automatically by birth to all male-line descendants, I suppose that her children could use their father's family title in the same way that some members of the Royal Family who are not members of the Royal House (e.g. Princess Désirée) are referred to by the Royal Court by their husbands' titles . In fact, the Court has a systematic habit, in guest lists for example, of using titles of nobility..

Last edited:
Heirs, Spares and marriages

I know the names I'm going to mention are children and the days of Dynastic/arranged marriages are long gone but it's just hypothetical

So, as we know that two heirs to the thrones cannot marry as they're supposed to be king/Queen of their respective countries eg.

Prince George/Princess Estelle
Prince Christan/Princess Leonor
Prince Constantine/Princess Ingrid

But what about the second child(ren) aka the Spare. Who are also in line of succession but behind their parents (if grandparents are the Monarchs), older siblings and future children of their siblings. Can two Spares get married like
Princess Charlotte/Prince Oscar
Princess Sofia/Prince Achileas-Andreas
Prince Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway/Princess Isabella ?

Again, it's just a hypothetical question

I know the names I'm going to mention are children and the days of Dynastic/arranged marriages are long gone but it's just hypothetical

So, as we know that two heirs to the thrones cannot marry as they're supposed to be king/Queen of their respective countries eg.

Prince George/Princess Estelle
Prince Christan/Princess Leonor
Prince Constantine/Princess Ingrid

But what about the second child(ren) aka the Spare. Who are also in line of succession but behind their parents (if grandparents are the Monarchs), older siblings and future children of their siblings. Can two Spares get married like
Princess Charlotte/Prince Oscar
Princess Sofia/Prince Achileas-Andreas
Prince Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway/Princess Isabella ?

Again, it's just a hypothetical question

I can't see any reason why they could not. Although they are the spares, the chances of two spares, who married each other, coming to the throne of their individual countries would be quite remote.

The only issue I can see is that, as we all know, many of the Royal Families are related, albeit more distantly nowadays. Nevertheless, concerns about inherited genetic problems would no doubt be looked into. I don't think anyone wants a return to the sad days of dynastic marriages producing children with serious health problems because genetics was not understood or poorly understood.

Back
Top Bottom