The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2019, 12:13 PM
Serene Highness

Look at Prince Gabriel's close-up photo. He looks so handsome. He's quite tall too.

**https://www.instagram.com/p/B0LmCbJHF-1/

Old 07-21-2019, 12:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes he is a handsome boy for sure . He looks so much like his mother.

Mbruno ..Baudouin was nearly three years younger than Fabiola Mora. That marriage was perhaps the happiest and most successful Royal marriage of the 20th century...or one of the most for sure.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Yes he is a handsome boy for sure . He looks so much like his mother.

Mbruno ..Baudouin was nearly three years younger than Fabiola Mora. That marriage was perhaps the happiest and most successful Royal marriage of the 20th century...or one of the most for sure.
He does resemble his mother.

I know a lot of people might argue, but I also think Baudouin and Fabiola's marriage was wonderful.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalfly View Post
He does resemble his mother.

I know a lot of people might argue, but I also think Baudouin and Fabiola's marriage was wonderful.

Gabriël is a true d'Udekem d'Acoz and one of the handsomest princes around. IMO he could work as a model if he wasn't a prince.

And why would a lot of people argue about Baudouin and Fabiola's marriage?
Old 07-21-2019, 12:57 PM
Majesty

Prince Nikolai of Denmark works as a model and he is a prince, one doesn't exclude another.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Prince Nikolai of Denmark works as a model and he is a prince, one doesn't exclude another.

Technically you are right, but I don't ever see Gabriël doing it - somehow I don't think he would be allowed - and as far as is known, his interests are far away from that kind of work. He is a sporty type, not a model type. And Nikolai of Denmark is much further away from the throne than Gabriël is, so less 'danger'.

It's just what I see Gabriël capable of with his looks - not that he should follow my vision

For all we know he could see himself as 'average'.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
So, just for fun, what are the most natural inter-dynastic matchups?

Alexia of the Netherlands and Christian of Denmark (both Protestant and less than four months apart in age) ?

Leonor of Spain and Gabriel of Belgium (both Catholic, but a little over two years apart in age, which is not really that much actually ) ?

George of Cambridge and Leonore of Sweden (not on your list since Leonore is not a direct heir, but both Protestant and only about 7 months apart in age ) ?

Charlotte of Cambridge and Oscar of Sweden (again both Protestant and about 10 months apart in age) ?

Gabriella of Monaco and Liam of Nassau (both Catholic, but again about two years apart in age ) ?

Note: Amalia of Nassau and Jacques of Monaco would be a better matchup agewise, but I am ruling it out (for now) since they are both currently in direct line to their respective thrones (that migh change of course if GD Guillaume ever has children of his own).

Whatever "love" means, which, I agree with Prince Charles, is debatable.
But eeermmm... Prince Albert of Monaco and King Philippe of the Belgians are much older than their spouses. Princess Beatrix was even 13 years younger than her late husband. I think age hardly plays a role.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd love to see a match between Gabriel and Amalia. He seems a genuinely nice chap and it would be an interesting couple from a historical perspective if the senior-male line member of the royal family of Belgium (whose position was created by Belgium becoming independent from the Netherlands) would end up marrying the Dutch future queen.

Would that be considered a 'take-over' ?

N.B. I seem to remember that the Belgian royals are forbidden from marrying a Dutch royal but I'm quite sure that can be 'arranged' - he will have to give up his place in line to the throne I assume.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I'd love to see a match between Gabriel and Amalia. He seems a genuinely nice chap and it would be an interesting couple from a historical perspective if the senior-male line member of the royal family of Belgium (whose position was created by Belgium becoming independent from the Netherlands) would end up marrying the Dutch future queen.

Belgian princes are barred by law from marrying any member of the House of Orange-Nassau precisely to avoid the scenario you described above.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Wouldn't the religious differences create an additional headache?

The Belgian Royals are not, generally speaking, casual Catholics.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:45 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
But eeermmm... Prince Albert of Monaco and King Philippe of the Belgians are much older than their spouses. Princess Beatrix was even 13 years younger than her late husband. I think age hardly plays a role.
Indeed, age is not really something to consider about. This generation of crown prince/princess indeed awesome since most of them are girls. Can you tell me what the constitution in Norway dictates as to how would Ingrid-Alexandra's husband will be called when she ascends the throne?
Old 07-22-2019, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post

Would that be considered a 'take-over' ?

N.B. I seem to remember that the Belgian royals are forbidden from marrying a Dutch royal but I'm quite sure that can be 'arranged' - he will have to give up his place in line to the throne I assume.

I would prefer him to marry Leonor, the Princess of Asturias. And for Amalia perhaps Prince Felix of Denmark or Count Richard of Pfeil and Klein-Ellguth (the son of Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.
For Princess Elisabeth one of the 2 younger sons of the Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein. -

Old 07-22-2019, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

The Constitution does not state what spouses will be called. King Harald's decision on what Mette-Marit would be called after marriage was not announced until the wedding day.

But was there a question that she would not be called Crown Princess?

Old 07-22-2019, 06:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Indeed, age is not really something to consider about. This generation of crown prince/princess indeed awesome since most of them are girls. Can you tell me what the constitution in Norway dictates as to how would Ingrid-Alexandra's husband will be called when she ascends the throne?

The constitution says that the titles and styles of those who are entitled to succeed to the Crown are decided by the King (or, in this case, the Queen when Ingrid-Alexandra ascends the throne). It says nothing about title and styles of consorts.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Unfortunately, that will be impossible in the foreseeable future. In most monarchies, the crown can only be held by men and boys. Even among the monarchies of Europe, of which all but Liechtenstein permit women and girls to inherit, only half of the crown princes/princesses of Princess Ingrid Alexandra's generation are girls.
I'm sorry but almost all European monarchies have switched to Absolute primogeniture in which gender is irrelevant for inheritance. Sweden was the trailblazer and the The Netherlands, Norway, Belgium, Denmark, Luxembourg and the UK.

Spain and Monaco are still following Male-preference primogeniture in which Older sons and their lines come before younger sons and their lines. Older daughters and their lines come before younger daughters and their lines.

And Liechtenstein the country you mentioned is still following old tradition of Agnatic primogeniture in which Females and female-line descendants are barred from succession.

And what I meant about almost all heirs right now are girls--- Elisabeth of Belgium, Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands, Leonor of Spain and 2nd in line as that of Ingrid-Alexandra of Norway and Estelle of Sweden, 3rd in line as that of Amalia of Nassau.

Quote:
The constitution says that the titles and styles of those who are entitled to succeed to the Crown are decided by the King (or, in this case, the Queen when Ingrid-Alexandra ascends the throne). It says nothing about title and styles of consorts.
Thank you Bruno!
Old 07-22-2019, 07:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Indeed, age is not really something to consider about. This generation of crown prince/princess indeed awesome since most of them are girls.
Unfortunately, that will be impossible in the foreseeable future. In most monarchies, the crown can only be held by men and boys. Even among the monarchies of Europe, of which all but Liechtenstein permit women and girls to inherit, only half of the crown princes/princesses of Princess Ingrid Alexandra's generation are girls.

Quote:
I'm sorry but almost all European monarchies have switched to Absolute primogeniture in which gender is irrelevant for inheritance. Sweden was the trailblazer and the The Netherlands, Norway, Belgium, Denmark, Luxembourg and the UK.

Spain and Monaco are still following Male-preference primogeniture in which Older sons and their lines come before younger sons and their lines. Older daughters and their lines come before younger daughters and their lines.

And Liechtenstein the country you mentioned is still following old tradition of Agnatic primogeniture in which Females and female-line descendants are barred from succession.
Yes, that is what I meant when I said "among the monarchies of Europe, of which all but Liechtenstein permit women and girls to inherit". But almost all Middle Eastern, Asian and African monarchies either follow agnatic primogeniture or appoint the monarch from amongst the male members of the Royal Family. Consequently, it is accurate to say that most monarchies exclude females and female-line descendants.

Quote:
And what I meant about almost all heirs right now are girls--- Elisabeth of Belgium, Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands, Leonor of Spain and 2nd in line as that of Ingrid-Alexandra of Norway and Estelle of Sweden, 3rd in line as that of Amalia of Luxembourg.
Out of the European heirs of Ingrid Alexandra's generation, five are girls (Elisabeth of Belgium, Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, Leonor of Spain, and Estelle of Sweden, as you mentioned) and four are boys/men (Joseph Wenzel of Liechtenstein, Christian of Denmark, George of Great Britain, and Jacques of Monaco). If the Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg has a son as his firstborn, there will be the same number of male as female European heirs. For now, Princess Amalia of Nassau is not being treated by the Grand-Ducal Family as the heiress.

The non-European heirs of Princess Ingrid Alexandra's generation are all male.

Quote:
Can you tell me what the constitution in Norway dictates as to how would Ingrid-Alexandra's husband will be called when she ascends the throne?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But was there a question that she would not be called Crown Princess?
I've moved my responses to the thread for Norway title questions.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2241004
Old 07-22-2019, 07:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I would prefer him to marry Leonor, the Princess of Asturias. And for Amalia perhaps Prince Felix of Denmark or Count Richard of Pfeil and Klein-Ellguth (the son of Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.
For Princess Elisabeth one of the 2 younger sons of the Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein. -
Omg! Count Richard is a very handsome boy too and yes the two younger sons Prince Georg and Prince Nikolaus are also a great catch.

And Cassius Taylor, Alexander Ogilvy, Samuel Bernhard Louis van Vollenhoven and Princess Mafalda of Hesse' son Cosmo.

And of course, all of the Bulgarian Princes

Quote:
Out of the European heirs of Ingrid Alexandra's generation, five are girls (Elisabeth of Belgium, Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands, Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, Leonor of Spain, and Estelle of Sweden, as you mentioned) and four are boys/men (Joseph Wenzel of Liechtenstein, Christian of Denmark, George of Great Britain, and Jacques of Monaco). If the Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg has a son as his firstborn, there will be the same number of male as female European heirs. For now, Princess Amalia of Nassau is not being treated by the Grand-Ducal Family as the heiress.

The non-European heirs of Princess Ingrid Alexandra's generation are all male.-
I quoted Amalia of Nassau as 3rd in line because she really is. I didn't say she's heir apparent or heir presumptive.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I quoted Amalia of Nassau as 3rd in line because she really is. I didn't say she's heir apparent or heir presumptive.
Apologies if my reply was unclear; I understood what you meant. And indeed I agree with you that Ingrid Alexandra of Norway and Estelle of Sweden are in practice crown princesses even though they are not "the" heir, given the expectation that they will inherit their respective crowns. What I meant is that, for now, it seems Amalia of Nassau is not expected to become Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, as shown by her being brought up in Germany and without visibility.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
So, just for fun, what are the most natural inter-dynastic matchups?

George of Cambridge and Leonore of Sweden (not on your list since Leonore is not a direct heir, but both Protestant and only about 7 months apart in age ) ?

I remember back when people were trying to match up George’s dad with Leonore’s Mom.
I imagine most of this speculative matches are just as unlikely as William and Madeleine.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:03 AM
Courtier

I remember the William/Madeleine speculation going on for years, even the press got involved and it was never in the least likely, there was never proof that they even knew each other I don't think.

I think George and Leonore are even less likely, though I know if this for fun.

Tags
future, marriage, royal children