Titles Of The Heirs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Monaco
The heir is indeed The hereditary Prince of Monaco, but has the Title of Marquis des Baux, A title belonging to the Prince Souverain (Reigning Prince, but that is when possible passed to the first male heir apparent or heir presumptive of the Monegasque throne.

Isn't that a recent practice that commenced when Prince Albert II was the Hereditary Prince of Monaco? The heirs to the Monegasque throne were known as Duke/Duchess of Valentinois for centuries until it became more common to title them Hereditary Prince/Princess. I think Hereditary Prince Albert was given the title Marquis des Baux instead of Duke of Valentinois because his grandmother, ex-Hereditary Princess Charlotte, was still alive and held the title Duchess of Valentinois at the time of his birth.

Didn’t the Portuguese heir use the title of Prince of Brazil at some point ? I think Prince Royal started to be used after Brazil became independent.

While the article does not state what its source is, it says the title "Prince Royal of Portugal, Brazil, and the Algarves" was not created until 1815, which is consistent with Brazil's elevation from a colony to a kingdom the same year, and the fact that the future Emperor Pedro I of Brazil was referred to as Prince Royal when he became heir to the Portuguese and Brazilian thrones, whereas his father was referred to as Prince of Brazil until he became Prince Regent (when Brazil was still a colony).

Here is Spain's announcement of the court mourning for José, Prince of Brazil (Pedro's uncle) in 1788.

https://www.boe.es/datos/pdfs/BOE//1788/089/A00714-00714.pdf

"Con motivo de la muerte del Príncipe del Brasil tomará esta Corte luto por 15 dias contados desde 24 del corriente."

Isn't that a recent practice that commenced when Prince Albert II was the Hereditary Prince of Monaco? The heirs to the Monegasque throne were known as Duke/Duchess of Valentinois for centuries until it became more common to title them Hereditary Prince/Princess. I think Hereditary Prince Albert was given the title Marquis des Baux instead of Duke of Valentinois because his grandmother, ex-Hereditary Princess Charlotte, was still alive and held the title Duchess of Valentinois at the time of his birth.

While the article does not state what its source is, it says the title "Prince Royal of Portugal, Brazil, and the Algarves" was not created until 1815, which is consistent with Brazil's elevation from a colony to a kingdom the same year, and the fact that the future Emperor Pedro I of Brazil was referred to as Prince Royal when he became heir to the Portuguese and Brazilian thrones, whereas his father was referred to as Prince of Brazil until he became Prince Regent (when Brazil was still a colony).

Here is Spain's announcement of the court mourning for José, Prince of Brazil (Pedro's uncle) in 1788.

https://www.boe.es/datos/pdfs/BOE//1788/089/A00714-00714.pdf

"Con motivo de la muerte del Príncipe del Brasil tomará esta Corte luto por 15 dias contados desde 24 del corriente."

My understanding is that "Príncipe do Brasil" was the title of the heir to the Crown. ( “ o herdeiro da Coroa” ) between 1645 and 1815, while Brazil was still a colony. Between 1815 and 1822, the heir became "o Príncipe Real do Reino Unido do Brasil, Portugal e Algarves" and, after 1822, when Brazil became independent, he became only "o Príncipe Real de Portugal". The heir to the Crown also held, from birth, the title of "Duque de Bragança".

Maybe the Portuguese members could verify that information.

Last edited:
In Spain a surname consists of first the paternal and second the maternal surname but I believe parents can choose to change the normal order. .

Yes the order of the names can be changed. That was done for example by the current Duke of Alba nad some of his siblings but not all. He is now Fitzjames Stuart y Martinez de Irujo instead of Martinez de Irujo y Fitzjames Stuart.

In Monaco

In France, the heir, was Dauphin of France, more precisely the title is Dauphin of Viennois

I find it interesting that the word Dauphin derives from the nickname of an early Count of Albon who was named Delfinus ("dolfin") and used a dolfin in his Coat of Arms. His heirs stuck to it and as their county, Albon, in the 11th century was formed as part of the lands of the bishop of Vienne, it became known as the "Dauphiné" and the Count of Albon as "the Dauphin de Viennoise". When the last Count of Albon Humbert II. died in 1349, he wanted to leave his lands and title to the French king. But the problem was that the Dauphin de Viennoise was a vasal to the Roman Emperor, so the French king did not want it for himself but took title and lands for his heir.

Till 145, it was lands that belonged to the heir of the French king and was actually reigned by him. But when Dauphin Louis fought with his father Charles VII. once to often on using the Dauphiné as his military base the king's troops annected the Dauphiné and put the county under French rule. From then on the title Dauphin de Viennoise (and later: de France) was just the title the heir to the throne was known by. BTw. the Roman Emperor did not react to the loss of this vasalship.

The heir to the Prince of Thurn und Taxis is referred to as Hereditary Prince of Thurn und Taxis.

I find it interesting that the word Dauphin derives from the nickname of an early Count of Albon who was named Delfinus ("dolfin") and used a dolfin in his Coat of Arms. His heirs stuck to it and as their county, Albon, in the 11th century was formed as part of the lands of the bishop of Vienne, it became known as the "Dauphiné" and the Count of Albon as "the Dauphin de Viennoise". When the last Count of Albon Humbert II. died in 1349, he wanted to leave his lands and title to the French king. But the problem was that the Dauphin de Viennoise was a vasal to the Roman Emperor, so the French king did not want it for himself but took title and lands for his heir.

Sadly the title of Dauphin de France was abolished during the Revolution on 1st of October 1791 and was restyled Prince Royale de France.

I believe it had a short re-introduction when the Duke of Angoulême was named Dauphin de Viennois from 1824 to 1830.

The prince royal was used from 1830 to 1842 for the heir of the then reigning house of Orléans, Prince Ferdinand, Duke of Orleans. I am not sure if after his death the title 'Prince Royal' was used by his eldest son the Comte de Paris.

I do not think that at the moment the title is used for the Comte de Clermont or for Don Luis de Borbon y Vargas, though I did see it used once in a while for the late Prince François d'Orléans -elder brother of the present count of Paris. IIRC it was mentioned in communications of either the then duke de Vendôme or his father about their quarrel in setting up a regency if Prince François would outlive his father.

Last edited:
I believe it had a short re-introduction when the Duke of Angoulême was named Dauphin de Viennois from 1824 to 1830.

Yes the title was indeed briefly restored by during the Restoration but sadly Louis Antoine, Duke of Angoulême was the last title Dauphin of France.

I loved Tsarevich and Dauphin.

The official form of the title was Tsesarevich (beginning with Alexander I, I think), which has its roots in the title Caesar.

While i'm all for individuality, and like titles like Prince of Wales and Duke of Brabant, and the like, if one is not familiar with a particular Royal Family's customs, it might be hard to determine who is next in line for the throne.

Over the course of the past century, the use of the dynastic titles held by princes of the Belgian royal family faded away by degrees. Only the forms Princess Elisabeth and Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant continue to be officially used.

The prince royal was used from 1830 to 1842 for the heir of the then reigning house of Orléans, Prince Ferdinand, Duke of Orleans. I am not sure if after his death the title 'Prince Royal' was used by his eldest son the Comte de Paris.

It was also used by the oldest son of the King Leopold I of Belgium (the adoption of the title Duke of Brabant came five years after his birth) and by the future King Baudouin during his regency.

The Austrians seem pretty simple. Back when they had a monarchy the head was emperor, his heir was Crown prince. And the others were archdukes/duchesses. Of course there are a whole list of other titles like king of Hungary and so on. But then again the Spanish have many as do the Brits and other royal houses.

Archduke was used by the crown prince as well. The son of Emperor Franz Joseph was "Crown Prince Archduke Rudolf" in his short style.

The heir to the defunct Bulgarian throne is styled Prince of Turnovo but I have no idea on where that title came from.

Both the first & second French Empires used Prince Imperial for the heir apparent. The first Napoleon also had his son made King of Rome which has to be surely the grandest title of them all for an heir.

The second Prince Imperial was killed during the Zulu Wars & is entombed in Farnborough Hampshire.

The heir to the defunct Bulgarian throne is styled Prince of Turnovo but I have no idea on where that title came from.

Probably linked to Medieval Bulgaria. Perhaps Turnovo is important place on history of Bulgaria. Usually other heir titles are linked to history or importance of some region like prince/princess of Asturias (first Christian post-Visigoth kingdom), prince of Wales (important to England), and duke/duchess of Brabant (notable historic region in Belgium).

Traditionally the eldest sons of the Princes of Orange were titled as the Erfprins.

When Willem VI of Orange-Nassau, Prince of Orange became the Sovereign Prince of the Netherlands in 1813, his eldest son became the Erfprins as established in the Constitution of 1813.

When in 1815 the Northern and Southern Netherlands (current Netherlands and Belgium) were reunited, the title Prince of Orange became the traditional (and Constitutional) title for the eldest living son of the King of the Netherlands, Grand-Duke of Luxembourg.

In 1983 the Constitution was changed. From then on the eldest living child of the King holds the title Prince (Princess) of Orange. I understand posters saying "Crown Prince" is simple and clear. But the title is part of the dynasty since it was inherited in 1530. The name even became the national colour. It is logical that this living link to an illustrious past is kept and cerished.

During the Investiture the Chairman of the Joint Assembly mentioned it:

"Your Majesty,

It is with confidence that we look forward to your reign.
This confidence is inspired by the dedication with which you have prepared yourself for the throne, by the manner in which you have fulfilled your role as The Prince of Orange [....]

And on this festive day it should not go unmentioned that we have
here, in our midst, your eldest daughter, Princess Catharina-Amalia, for the first time as The Princess of Orange.

[....]"

Last edited:
Traditionally the eldest sons of the Princes of Orange were titled as the Erfprins.

Interesting ,did it translate as 'Hereditary' Prince of Orange or just Hereditary Prince?

Last edited:
Probably linked to Medieval Bulgaria. Perhaps Turnovo is important place on history of Bulgaria. Usually other heir titles are linked to history or importance of some region like prince/princess of Asturias (first Christian post-Visigoth kingdom), prince of Wales (important to England), and duke/duchess of Brabant (notable historic region in Belgium).
Tarnovo was the capital of the Second Bulgarian Empire in the late Middle ages and remains an important cultural centre of the country.

The Dukedom of Rothesay in Scotland was for the heir and there were other royal dukedoms for other sons Ross and Albany.

Dauphin in France and the dukedoms of Orléans, Berry, Anjou and Alençon used for younger sons and sometimes daughters of France.

Back
Top Bottom