The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-24-2018, 09:05 PM
Heir Apparent

In this day and age, if countries have a monarchy, the people should support the monarchy. I am not referring to financial support. A monarch knows that he is doing a favorable job when he has the support of the people.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

In this day and age people have the right to choose to support or not support their government and that includes those of us who live in a monarchy choosing whether or not to support the monarchy. I don't support Australia being a monarchy. I think it is wrong.

I notice you are from the USA - do you argue that everyone should support the elected President in such a country? or do you believe that voicing opposition should be allowed?

Personally I believe in a country with freedom of speech, such as Australia, we should be, and are, free to voice our opposition to the monarchy, or other aspects of our government.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:11 AM
Courtier

It's a double-sided relationship, the monarchy works well so people favour them (or, don't mind their existence), people support the monarchy so it remains stable. OTOH, the monarchy works poorly so people dislike them, people oppose the monarchy so it becomes unstable (and maybe even be abolished).

I think one of the concept of modern monarchy is that the monarchs have to obtain support from their people. People even do not support the government they elected when they perform poorly, so why do they have to support their monarch which they can't choose unconditionally?
Old 06-25-2018, 05:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

The main difference between an elected head of state and a monarchy is that the monarchy is an institution and a family, that is merely headed by one person.
So if the monarch is poor, there may always be the heir to look to, or a sibling of the monarch to look to.
Without going into details, there is an Asian monarchy that is having these problems right now.
So a monarchy carry a lot more momentum than an elected head of state, who can be voted out of office a few years later - in some places only to be replaced by someone equally poor, or who is loathed by the other half of the population.
And that I think is one of main reasons why many monarchies have survived.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

The main difference between an elected head of state and a monarchy is that the monarchy is an institution and a family, that is merely headed by one person.
So if the monarch is poor, there may always be the heir to look to, or a sibling of the monarch to look to.
Without going into details, there is an Asian monarchy that is having these problems right now.
So a monarchy carry a lot more momentum than an elected head of state, who can be voted out of office a few years later - in some places only to be replaced by someone equally poor, or who is loathed by the other half of the population.
And that I think is one of main reasons why many monarchies have survived.
That's true, or even if the Monarch isn't perhaps very charming, or popular in the sense of easily getting on with people.. his wife may have charm and be abel to win people over...
Old 06-25-2018, 06:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
Australian,
I think it depends on each individual country and its people. Mind you, the Monarch's and their families provide a continuity that isn't there with elected presidents/prime ministers ect. Take for example when the American President came to Australia some years ago. He was told that he and his wife would be the guests of Mr Hawke & his lovely wife, Hazel. Instead he arrives to find his host to be Mr Keating & his non Australian wife, Anita.
When visiting Britain a foreign head of state/President knows that his hostess will be HM Queen Elizabeth & her husband the Duke of Edinburgh and he/she won't get any nasty surprises.
The host of any state visit to Australia is not the prime minister, but rather the Givernor-General as the Queen’s representative.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:32 PM
Nobility

Does it worth to have royals?

Apart from the royal you like does having royals make any difference? Do they do any thing other than being photographed and give interviwes?
And if they realy do something does it equal to teir cost? That article from daily mail about clothes only so what about other costs?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5280261/Queen-Rania-Jordans-200K-wardrobe.html
Old 08-21-2018, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

When the purpose or benefits of having a monarchy come up the arguments are usually some of the same:

1) it's reassuring for the public to have a Head of State that isn't a politician and one who faces re-election often meaning they are reliant of being popular all the time. Some people like knowing politicians, e.g. Prime Ministers, have to answer to somebody.

2) its history. Would most countries choose to have a monarchy if they hadn't have done so in the past, no. But for most countries its just the system they have so they see a comfort in a system that has served them so long.

3) monarchies have a tendency to bring more attention, more tourism and can boost trade in certain areas (fashion being one) more than a President can

As for it equalling their cost, well who knows the real answer to that. It depends if people thing they are good value for money or not. To me in the UK, having a monarch rather than president is worth all the money in the world just to avoid having one of our politicians as President.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:30 PM
Nobility

But if they spend all that money on fashion ,jewellery and other things why raising donations from ordinary people?
Old 08-21-2018, 07:20 PM
Majesty

I don't know about other monarchies in the world, but no European monarchy that I know of, including the British, go around raising 'donations' from the population in order to maintain their monarchy.

Like Presidents, the sovereign is usually paid a yearly allowance from the government in order to carry out the functions of Head of State. In some countries the Consort also gets an allowance as well, in others the King/Queen receives an amount and it is then distributed among those members who perform public duties, like the Crown Prince or Princess and their spouse.

As for spending vast amounts on jewellery most monarchies are centuries old and have large jewellery collections built up over the last two hundred years or more of tiaras, necklaces, bracelets etc. These don't belong to the individuals involved at all but are kept generation after generation.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:51 AM
Nobility

If you think that electing a head of state is a better method than having a Western European-style kind of queen, just look at the USA and think again.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:29 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I suppose we in monarchies are stuck with prime ministers, which potentially are of the same calibre .
Old 09-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Majesty

That is true and also that we don't have to vote for the government and have a separate vote for the President. The prime minister is chosen by the party having already been elected by a constituent.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:37 PM
Nobility

I like the systems in Portugal, Finland and Eire where the presidents are elected and tend to be individuals who are not controversial. I dislike the cost of a real monarchy and of the presidencies in France and Greece. I also am bothered by the fact that no European monarch's younger child is self-supporting away from the family's or the government's largesse.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
I like the systems in Portugal, Finland and Eire where the presidents are elected and tend to be individuals who are not controversial. I dislike the cost of a real monarchy and of the presidencies in France and Greece. I also am bothered by the fact that no European monarch's younger child is self-supporting away from the family's or the government's largesse.
Younger children are self-supporting in Spain, Sweden, and the Netherlands. They rely on state or family funds in Belgium, Denmark, and the UK. I don’t have enough information about Norway or Luxembourg .
Old 09-04-2018, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Younger children are self-supporting in Spain, Sweden, and the Netherlands. They rely on state or family funds in Belgium, Denmark, and the UK. I don’t have enough information about Norway or Luxembourg .
I don't think Carl Philip is self-supporting. He might have some private income but my impression is that he receives most of the money his family lives on from the royal family. Madeleine never earned money (her job at the World Childhood Foundation was a voluntary one), so also lived on family money and some money she received for representations. Now they also/mainly live of Chris' income I assume.

I do think at least Felix is self-supporting (or supported by his father-in-law's business) - at least not depended on some government income. Louis has a job but it seems they relied on family money as well. I assume Märtha Louise (who is the elder sibling) is not supported on a government grant but most likely partly lives of some 'family money'.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:43 AM
Gentry

My country India has a long history with the monarchy. When it came under the British rule even then we have a monarch. Today i personally feel that it we be better to have a monarch then those politicians who put people against each other on the basis of religion, gender, colour, race, caste
Old 09-05-2018, 01:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Much as I would like them to get real jobs and build careers independent of the royal family, I have no problem with younger children of a monarch relying on family funding. In some cases (like Edward and sophie), they have tried to build independent careers, but it has ended badly.