The Royal Wave

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess_Beatrix

Courtier
City
moved to
Country
Spain
I love seeing Royals waving! :)
They all have differents ways to do this!
I especially like the way Margrethe II of Denmark is waving! She does it very special and no other Royal does it the way she does ;)
Here is an example:
http://www.worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs/philippevb29.jpg
(worldroot.com)

I think there are so many other Royals having special or lovely ways of waving. :)
Which are your favourites?

That picture with Maxima and Amalia should go into their "Mother Daughter" photo album!!! :) :) TOO CUTE!!!!!!!

i think denmark has they ownm why of waving showing the back of the hand

Queen Rania is a goddess of Jordan, she is so beautiful, natural and charming!
Even her easy wave leaves in my heart only tender feelings!
Thank you, Dazzling, for the photos.

The Art of Royal Waving

Her Majesty The Queen waving at the Royal Variety Performance 2012:
God Save The Queen, Her Majesty and Her husband, Prince Philip, at the...

What exactually is the art of royal waving?

The late Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and The Queen had/have the most elegant royal wave I have ever seen. The waves are full of grace, dignity was was just beautiful. Although it seems like their waves changed over time. Everynow and The Queen's old school wave will show up again. The younger generation of royals don't seem to be that interested in what I call 'the art of royal waving.' William & Catherine, Harry, Charles & Camilla's waving seem to be very quick and lack grace, imo. So I'm asking-

What is the art of royal waving?

Sorry if this has been discussed before of the forums.

Thank you for this original animated photo . . . so cute! My question is what is the origin of this elegant art of waving? and is it only reserved for the royalty. It seems to me that often times celebrities are trying to show case the "wave"? is there a formal training for the commoners when they join the royal houses? and is there a different style for men and women?

I read and heard that The Queen's Lady-in-waiting, Lady Susan Hussey taught Diana how to do the royal wave when she became engaged to Charles.

There are some celebrities that have adapted royal waving when on the red carpet.

Oh now this IS an interesting subject and one that will require abit more research!

The Royal Wave has certainly changed over the years and these days it is less affected and more like a normal wave.

I am sure somewhere there must be an etiquette guide showing the do's and don'ts of waving properly.

Back in the olden days, royals used to do a kind of "bicep curl" with the palm facing upwards and gently raising the arm at the elbow. Several Japanese Imperial Royal family members seem to hold their hand very close to the chest with the palm facing outwards and simply moving it back and forth in a very demure way. Here is Britain, the hand seems to be held quite high, palm facing outwards with just the minimal of movement.
Queen Margrethe of Denmark often raised both hands aloft and waves vigourously to the crowds on her birthday balcony appearance.......
I think the Royal Wave technique is different, depending on the circumstances. For instance, simply getting out of a car and walking towards the entrance of the place they are visiting requires a quick, cursory wave of acknowledgment. Standing on a balcony I think requires something a little more dramatic so that the wave can actually be seen far below.
Personally, when I am greeting visitors or sending people off, I tend to stand at the front door with my hand held high and wave enthusiastically from the wrist with minimal arm movements. I went on a cruise ship and when it set sail I was rather more enthusiastic than usual and waved madly at the people standing on the quayside (a small group of men realing in the rope, a couple of custom officers and the remains of a brass-band quartet), but even so, it's nice to wave! Oddly, I also wave to my cat to try and get it's attention (usually ignored) and one always waves at babies in prams!

Last edited:
I've seen Margrethe wave millions of times and she does show more personality and spirit than most. The thing I like about QMII's wave is she doesn't show the front or back of her hand to the public. She turns her hand perpendicular and waves from side to side. It's very nice, imho

7131600-h-m-queen-margrethe-the-2nd-of-denmark-during-her-official-visit-to-nyborg--denmark-on-the-2nd-of-ju.jpg

There's no art to waving, waving is waving whether you're royal or not we can all wave.

I always liked the Queen's wave; regal and minimal with a swivel motion just at the wrist.

I always thought the minimal motion of the Windsors' wave was more of an age thing that just got passed down. Photography in Queen Mary's day was much more primative that it is now (holding still, longer exposers, etc). I assumed the minimal wave was so that there were no blurry hands in the photographs. I do love Queen Margarethe's wave - it's a back-to-front motion instead of a side-to-side motion.

I agree, The Queen still have that special twinkle in her eyes.

I just liked the style of the old school royal waves.

King George VI's wave was quite unusual. Hand up in the air and a twist as if he was unscrewing a globe from a light socket.

Queen Margrethe has the best royal wave. The move seems to start from the elbow with a slightly moving hand. The middle between a greeting and a waving.

George and Charlotte have the most adorable waves.

I love the late King's waves. I wonder if Charles will adopt his wave once he's King?

The Queen's waves used to be very elegant back in the day. She has since changed it though. Not for the better.

The Duchess of Cambridge is kinda shy with her waves. Too quick and brief, IMO.

The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret had the best royal waves, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom