The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-22-2019, 08:03 AM
Nobility

I remember the William/Madeleine speculation going on for years, even the press got involved and it was never in the least likely, there was never proof that they even knew each other I don't think.

I think George and Leonore are even less likely, though I know if this for fun.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

There is no religious problem for Prince Gabriel of Belgium to marry the Princess of Orange. After all Amalia's very own parents are Protestant and Roman-Catholic. There is also no legal blockade for Prince Gabriel to marry the Princess of Orange. It are the members of the House Orange-Nassau which are "for ever" excluded from any public position in Belgium. But Prince Gabriel goes the other way: he marries into the Royal House of the Netherlands.

It would be a most interesting union indeed. As it is doubtful they would use the territorial designation Prince(ss) of Belgium for Gabriel's descendants, possibly they will return to the dynastical designation:

ZKH prins NN der Nederlanden, prins van Oranje-Nassau, prins van Saksen-Coburg en Gotha, hertog van Saksen

or
HKH prinses NN der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau, prinses van Saksen-Coburg en Gotha, hertogin van Saksen

Old 07-22-2019, 09:45 AM
Serene Highness

Well, I really hope one of these heir and heiresses will marry one from a reigning royal family. I really really hope so. And I hope it will be out of love just like their parents.

The Royal Fly®️
Old 07-22-2019, 10:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalfly View Post
Well, I really hope one of these heir and heiresses will marry one from a reigning royal family. I really really hope so. And I hope it will be out of love just like their parents.
Well, it is a distinct possibility, since most of the parents of the children discussed here know each other well and most are even personal friends.
And as the parents attends each others birthdays and major family events, the children are now reaching the age where they will begin to come along as well. Especially those who are destined to sit on a throne or be the spare - also as a part of on the job training.
So most of them are bound to meet in both a formal and informal setting, simply by being who they are. And I imagine some are already in touch regularly via Facebook, Instagram and what not or. And I seem to recall that one of the Dutch girls, I think, dabble in a personal blog.

But at least on the shorter lane, i.e. when they start dating, an age-difference of no more than two-three years is more realistic.

- Which means that Christian of DK, can soon start dating Alexia of NL, and eventually marry her. He just needs a little push in direction of the Netherlands.

Isabella of DK, I understand, has already visited the Belgian royals privately, so is a Protestant girl, who is sensible, fun-loving, fond of tennis and riding of interest?

Josephine of DK is fond of riding and dancing, full of mischief and not at all shy about the cameras, on the contrary... - That should come in handy in the BRF. So perhaps we should put her aside for George of UK?
There is admittedly an age difference though.

Now, Ingrid of Norway. She is a nice person, sensible, intelligent and articulate. How about Gabriel of Belgium? But he is a bit young though.
Then we have Nikolai of DK. Tall, intelligent, reserved, sensitive, a bit of a thinker. And a year or two older than Ingrid. Yeees, that could work. Ingrid can spend the long winter nights playing with his long dark hair... Or cut it.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Well, it is a distinct possibility, since most of the parents of the children discussed here know each other well and most are even personal friends.
And as the parents attends each others birthdays and major family events, the children are now reaching the age where they will begin to come along as well. Especially those who are destined to sit on a throne or be the spare - also as a part of on the job training.
So most of them are bound to meet in both a formal and informal setting, simply by being who they are. And I imagine some are already in touch regularly via Facebook, Instagram and what not or. And I seem to recall that one of the Dutch girls, I think, dabble in a personal blog.
I think the fact that all of the parents know each other, makes it LESS likely that they will fall in love and marry. They will all see each other as cousins, growing up together.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
I think the fact that all of the parents know each other, makes it LESS likely that they will fall in love and marry. They will all see each other as cousins, growing up together.
Well... Prince Constantijn has known Laurentien all his life as her parents were (and are) befriended with Princess Beatrix since university. It did not stop Prince Constantijn and Laurentien to develop a love relationship which continues to present day...

So never rule out the possibility that Ingrid Alexandra will fall in love with Nicolai.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yep.

And remember the Greeks. They fell in love when Queen Anne-Marie was a teenager - and they are still married and by all accounts happy.

So with an extended pool of what, 30-40 or so royal children within an age range of no more than 18 years, chances are that Cupid will be successful with an arrow or two.
Some will (hopefully) develop a close friendships and pretty much see each other as not only a kind of close relatives but also someone who share a destiny.
But when we include the younger siblings and the children of the spares, then the chances of an inter-royal relationship and perhaps marriage begin to increase.

I mean if you are a young royal, especially if you are child of an heir or a monarch, then there are distinct advantages of befriending and/or dating a fellow royal.
- They know and understand the life you live.
- Coming from a similar background you may perhaps find it easier to find someone to trust and confide in among a fellow royal.
- There are less chances of unfortunate photos and videos suddenly emerging on the Net, posted by someone you thought loved you. because this must be something young royals (and their parents) must always have in the back of their minds, I imagine.
- And there is less chance that a fellow royal will spill confidential gossip to the tabloids.

Beforehand there were less outlets for such material, and the press could always be pressured into not publishing, either through the legislation or by other means.
But today with all sorts of social medias, confidential gossip and photos can go viral within hours and be totally impossible to contain. As this must be a genuine concern among not least royals, I think there might be a natural tendency for royal children today to perhaps move closer together to protect themselves. Especially as some of the royal children today will almost certainly experience something along these lines at some point.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

I would like it to see Prince Gabriel with Princess Amalia. The monarchy is no exact science but an emotion. I feel that so now and then a monarchy needs a shot of tradition. Of course it starts wuth love, do not get me wrong. But Princess Amalia with the son of her maths teacher simply feels different than with a Prince of Belgium. In my view the monarchy has to remain a monarchy indeed and not drift too far away from tradition.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I remember back when people were trying to match up George’s dad with Leonore’s Mom.
I imagine most of this speculative matches are just as unlikely as William and Madeleine.
And even before that , Lord Mountbatten reportedly tried to match King Carl Gustaf with Princess Anne, but apparently Carl Gustaf was not interested.

Those British/Swedish matches are recurrent because members of the two royal houses really match very well in terms of age and religion. Madeleine for example would have been perfect for William.

I like the idea of Gabriel and Leonor, or Elisabeth and a Lichtenstein Prince. After the fall of the monarchy in France, Italy, Portugal , Bavaria and Austria, there are few reigning Catholic royal families and An interdynastic marriage between those who are left would be great. I guess the last one involving ruling families was between GD Jean and Princess Josephine Charlotte and that was a long time ago.

EDIT: It has just occurred to me that , if Elisabeth of Belgium married one of the younger sons of Prince Alois, for example Nikolaus who is about her age I think, then her children, including the possible future King or Queen of the Belgians , would also be in the Jacobite line of succession to the British throne, wouldn’t they ? That would be an interesting development !
Old 07-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
And even before that , Lord Mountbatten reportedly tried to match King Carl Gustaf with Princess Anne, but apparently Carl Gustaf was not interested.

Those British/Swedish matches are recurrent because members of the two royal houses really match very well in terms of age and religion. Madeleine for example would have been perfect for William.
Neither was Anne. According to the rumours her parents was apparently sympathetic to the idea since they'd met Carl Gustav many times as he grew up, but quite wisely they said it was up to the youngsters themselves to decide. Lord Mountbatten and King Gustav VI Adolf was quite anxious for the match to happen and Princess Sibylla is, according to the tabloids at the time, supposed to have said during a family meeting in the late 60s that a marriage to a member of the British Royal family was, together with a few other things she mentioned, the only way to save the Crown for her son.
To me it all sounds like the media and the rumor mill made a goose out of a feather.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Maybe well matched on paper in terms of age, religion and status but given especially Madeleine's life I can't imagine her wanting to swap being 3rd child of the King of Sweden and it's responsibilities to add being the future then Queen Consort of the UK for the rest of her life. It's one of those matches that would look good to people if we still had arranged Royal Marriages as foreign policy, but it's probably a good thing they aren't required now. Although didn't CG once say the families weren't close at all?

If it happens now in actual reigning houses it would certainly be interesting and something of a novelty but I'm not expecting it from the next generation.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
There is no religious problem for Prince Gabriel of Belgium to marry the Princess of Orange. After all Amalia's very own parents are Protestant and Roman-Catholic. There is also no legal blockade for Prince Gabriel to marry the Princess of Orange. It are the members of the House Orange-Nassau which are "for ever" excluded from any public position in Belgium. But Prince Gabriel goes the other way: he marries into the Royal House of the Netherlands.

It would be a most interesting union indeed. As it is doubtful they would use the territorial designation Prince(ss) of Belgium for Gabriel's descendants, possibly they will return to the dynastical designation:

ZKH prins NN der Nederlanden, prins van Oranje-Nassau, prins van Saksen-Coburg en Gotha, hertog van Saksen

or
HKH prinses NN der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau, prinses van Saksen-Coburg en Gotha, hertogin van Saksen
Under Belgian law, any child of Prince Gabriel born while Philippe is still king will be styled Prince of Belgium in Belgium itself. Moreover, the Royal Decree of. 2015 details how they should be cited in Belgian official documents, i.e

HRH Prince/ Princess [ Names and Surname if the latter is used], Prince/Princess of Belgium, [other titles acquired by birth, e.g. Prince/Princess of the Netherlands, Prince/Princess of Orange-Nassau, etc etc]

The way they would be cited in Dutch documents , for example their birth certificates, is of course a different matter.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
There is also no legal blockade for Prince Gabriel to marry the Princess of Orange. It are the members of the House Orange-Nassau which are "for ever" excluded from any public position in Belgium. But Prince Gabriel goes the other way: he marries into the Royal House of the Netherlands.
Do you have the wording of the decree? This article says that it would block a marriage between Amalia and Gabriel.

Quote:
Under Belgian law, any child of Prince Gabriel born while Philippe is still king will be styled Prince of Belgium in Belgium itself. Moreover, the Royal Decree of. 2015 details how they should be cited in Belgian official documents, [...]
That is one of the possible readings of the royal decree of 2015, but I read its provisions differently (as we discussed earlier in the Belgium forum).

In any event, I think in the case of such a significant marriage all would be arranged between the governments.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I would prefer him to marry Leonor, the Princess of Asturias. And for Amalia perhaps Prince Felix of Denmark or Count Richard of Pfeil and Klein-Ellguth (the son of Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.
For Princess Elisabeth one of the 2 younger sons of the Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein. -
Felix or Richard indeed seem good alternatives to Gabriel and without legal or religious barriers to overcome.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

or
The current princesses aren't jonkvrouw van Amsberg, so I don't think any other title than prince(ss) of the Netherlands, and of Oranje-Nassau will be given to Amalia's descendents.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The current princesses aren't jonkvrouw van Amsberg, so I don't think any other title than prince(ss) of the Netherlands, and of Oranje-Nassau will be given to Amalia's descendents.

The Titles of the fathers had always been included. Queen Juliana was also "Herzopgin zu Mecklenburg", Queen Beratrix and her sisters are alo "Prinzessin zur Lippe-Biesterfeld" and willem-Alexander ans his brothers are also '"Jonkheer van Amsberg". But they seems to have stopped this now but the Title came from their grandfather. So we wiull have wait and see if they include a title of a future husband of Princess Anmalia for their children. But then it is likely that she willö marry an untitled men

Old 07-22-2019, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The Titles of the fathers had always been included. Queen Juliana was also "Herzopgin zu Mecklenburg", Queen Beratrix and her sisters are alo "Prinzessin zur Lippe-Biesterfeld" and willem-Alexander ans his brothers are also '"Jonkheer van Amsberg". But they seems to have stopped this now but the Title came from their grandfather. So we wiull have wait and see if they include a title of a future husband of Princess Anmalia for their children. But then it is likely that she willö marry an untitled men
Yes, you are right, until the generation of Willem-Alexander their father's titles were indeed used but 'jonkheer van Amsberg' was just as much Willem-Alexander's title as it was Claus' title (both received it from their father). Moreover, the children of Friso and Constantijn DO have the 'van Amsberg'-part included. So, my guess is that this is the new line: 'only the main two titles pass on'. It seems they want to avoid any other title 'clinging' to the main titles (of the Netherlands and of Orange-Nassau). Nonetheless, the Dutch government has been quite inconsistent regarding titles, so anything is possible (but yes, most likely Amalia will marry an untitled man (rather than multiple men ); and I am quite sure his surname will not be added.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
but yes, most likely Amalia will marry an untitled man (rather than multiple men ); and I am quite sure his surname will not be added.
I would imagine that any future husband of Amalia would want his name (and title if he he has one) included in the names of their children.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I would imagine that any future husband of Amalia would want his name (and title if he he has one) included in the names of their children.
He might want to but I don't think he'll get it. Just like Daniel's children don't share his surname of Westling.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
He might want to but I don't think he'll get it. Just like Daniel's children don't share his surname of Westling.
Daniel might not have cared that much. Children getting their mother's surname is not unusual and since 2018 surnames aren't received by default anymore, but something the parents have to chose and report to the authorities in the same way that they do a first name.
If Amalia marries a man with an old name - patrician, noble or royal - is not to farfetched for him to want to pass it and any eventual titles to his children.

Tags
future, marriage, royal children