Royalty or High Society

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alastair_r

Gentry
City
Glasgow
Country
United Kingdom
Are you just intersted in Royalty or in High society ? X

Anyone think there should be a socialite tv station. There could be shows on royalty, society, fashion and insted of a studio and presenter a rich socialite in here faboulous apartment X

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd watch it. By the way for those in the US (and elsewhere maybe) this Thursday evening at 9 p.m. eastern time vh1 is doing a young royals version of their "Fabulous life of...". It'll be total fluff but it should be entertaining.

Royalty is what I'm interested in.

It actually depends on who the royal and who the "high society" members are. Some royals I find rather boring, and some I can't get enough of(The Grimaldis of Monaco) The same with society individuals.

One thing is ABSOLUTELY certain though...I find ANY royal/high society personage more entertaining than Hollywood people. I can't stand reading one more word about Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears or Lindsay Lohan. I couldn't care less about Hollywood!

One thing is ABSOLUTELY certain though...I find ANY royal/high society personage more entertaining than Hollywood people. I can't stand reading one more word about Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears or Lindsay Lohan. I couldn't care less about Hollywood!

I do not consider these women high society, they are just 'trash' with lots of money. When I think of high society I think of money, and lots of class.

I do not consider these women high society, they are just 'trash' with lots of money. When I think of high society I think of money, and lots of class.

I think that was my point. I completely agree. Although having lots of money does NOT automatically give a person true class. Donald and Melania Trump are obviously very wealthy, but IMO they do not have class. Some of the very wealthy older Republican women who came into prominence during the Reagan Administration(Besty Bloomingdale) completely lack class, IMO. (The latter sashayed around London during the celebrations for the wedding of Charles and Diana wearing a TIARA for gods sake-uggh!)

On the other hand I have read about poor or middle class people that have more breeding and class than any Royal or Society person could dream. My aunt is one, the honorable Nelson Mandela is another.

Last edited:
I think that was my point. I completely agree. Although having lots of money does NOT automatically give a person true class. Donald and Melania Trump are obviously very wealthy, but IMO they do not have class. Some of the very wealthy older Republican women who came into prominence during the Reagan Administration(Besty Bloomingdale) completely lack class, IMO. (The latter sashayed around London during the celebrations for the wedding of Charles and Diana wearing a TIARA for gods sake-uggh!)

On the other hand I have read about poor or middle class people that have more breeding and class than any Royal or Society person could dream. My aunt is one, the honorable Nelson Mandela is another.

I was agreeing with you. Another person who had a lot of class was Mahatma Gandhi.

I totally agree. I have a hard time understanding why anyone cares about these people. But, well, to me the Grimaldi's are the Hollywood trash of the royal realm (illegitimate births, adulterous relationships, marriages to bodyguards and circus performers). I'm surprised that you are into them given your feelings about Hollywood.

Of course, I do not consider Princess Grace or Prince Rainier to be in this category. But the others, especially Stephanie and Albert, definitely.

I totally agree. I have a hard time understanding why anyone cares about these people. But, well, to me the Grimaldi's are the Hollywood trash of the royal realm (illegitimate births, adulterous relationships, marriages to bodyguards and circus performers). I'm surprised that you are into them given your feelings about Hollywood.

Of course, I do not consider Princess Grace or Prince Rainier to be in this category. But the others, especially Stephanie and Albert, definitely.

LOL! The Grimaldi's fascinate me. They are beautiful to look at, intellectually gifted and oversexed. But when it counts, they seem to know how to pull it together and behave. Looking at Caroline today, I would never guess that this is the same woman who has been married three times-two of them pregnant at the altar-and had an affair with a married man. But the Caroline of today is a very regal figure who seems to have an almost uncanny Jacqueline Kennedy knack for rising to every occasion, big or small.

I agree that they have way too much dirty laundry for a princely family, however. Maybe it's the story of their noble lineage...how the monk seized the castle in the 13th Century and it's been a rather high end soap opera since. They have-despite their unseemly scandals-maintained just enough of their royal veneer to remain interesting for me.

And don't forget that Rainier and Grace were not quite as pristine as their public images suggest...they were just better...FAR BETTER...at keeping it under wraps like nobility should!

Last edited:
Good reply.

Yes, Caroline was always regal, and stunningly beautiful. She is showing her age now, too much time in the sun, I think. But in her youth she was breathtaking. And she has an innate elegance that transcends the unpleasant bits in her past. I don't think Charlotte compares in beauty or elegance, although she is certainly a pretty girl.

Albert and Stephanie--what can I say? I like Albert's loyalty to his sister, but that's about all I like. I can't say I like his loyalty to his children.

Good reply.

Yes, Caroline was always regal, and stunningly beautiful. She is showing her age now, too much time in the sun, I think. But in her youth she was breathtaking. And she has an innate elegance that transcends the unpleasant bits in her past. I don't think Charlotte compares in beauty or elegance, although she is certainly a pretty girl.

Albert and Stephanie--what can I say? I like Albert's loyalty to his sister, but that's about all I like. I can't say I like his loyalty to his children.

I think Stephanie is a very tragic figure in some ways. She is obviously a talented and kind person who cares. But she seemed to waste so much time and energy during her youth fighting who she was, and what cannot change. She is not an ordinary person. She is the daughter of a legend. She is a princess. I can't understand how one can claim to love a parent so much and then break their heart-over and over-like she did with Rainier. Especially toward the end of his life. I would never forgive myself for that.

As for Albert, well. Like all the children he is spoiled and entitled. Despite his obvious intelligence, he lacks the basic common sense-not to mention self control- it would have taken to protect himself from fathering children out of wedlock. But I am happy that he is supporting these children, as any decent man would be expected to. It's not their fault, they deserve all of his support, IMO.

Last edited:
Only Royalty. I could care less about "High Society". They are a pretentious lot.

Just royalty for me. I like their connection to history.

Royalty! I don't care much for people with fresh money, most of the times they are such annoying "nouveau riches".
Royalty is different. Royals are connected with history, tradition and class (at least most of them).

I don't consider the Grimaldi's real royalty. Especially the younger generation. They seem more proper to Hollywood parties than to attend european royal events. :flowers:

EXACTLY! That's a good point, I feel the same way. I am passionate about history, and I like the way that ancient and noble families link us to the past.

True High Society is also linked with history, tradition and class. The Hiltons are not considered high society, they are cafe society. The Astors, Vanderbilts, and Roosevelts are examples of High Society. Many of the earliest members of those families were amongst the original settlers of the U.S. and were vital in establishing this country. I am interested in them as much as I am in royalty considering that the younger generation of royals and the women who married into these families leave much to be desired.

It actually depends on who the royal and who the "high society" members are. Some royals I find rather boring, and some I can't get enough of(The Grimaldis of Monaco) The same with society individuals.

I agree with you. I love the Grimaldis of Monaco and I love the Windsors ( William and Harry). I also love the Vanderbilts, Whitneys, and Astors and I just loved the Kennedys. What does that make me?

I loved Princess Grace, but I'm terribly disappointed in her children. Somerset Maugham was right. Monaco is a sunny place for shady people.

I think Stephanie is a very tragic figure in some ways. She is obviously a talented and kind person who cares. But she seemed to waste so much time and energy during her youth fighting who she was, and what cannot change. She is not an ordinary person. She is the daughter of a legend. She is a princess. I can't understand how one can claim to love a parent so much and then break their heart-over and over-like she did with Rainier. Especially toward the end of his life. I would never forgive myself for that.

As for Albert, well. Like all the children he is spoiled and entitled. Despite his obvious intelligence, he lacks the basic common sense-not to mention self control- it would have taken to protect himself from fathering children out of wedlock. But I am happy that he is supporting these children, as any decent man would be expected to. It's not their fault, they deserve all of his support, IMO.

What I meant to say is that I did not like Alberts lack of loyalty to his children. He may be supporting them, but he is not involving himself in their lives, or them in his. I'm not a big follower of the family, although I was a Princess Grace/Princess Caroline fan up until Princess Grace died and maybe a few years after (before things started getting really out of hand). But I haven't seen any pictures of Albert with his children.

Yes, this is what I like too. I like the idea that these people are actually related to Queen Victoria, King Christian IX, etc. I like how they are related to each other, too. I don't think they will be as interesting going forward now that they have started marrying commoners.

I agree with you. I love the Grimaldis of Monaco and I love the Windsors ( William and Harry). I also love the Vanderbilts, Whitneys, and Astors and I just loved the Kennedys. What does that make me?

My gosh...we like the SAME people LOL! The Kennedys fascinate me too...just like the Grimaldis it's the combination of high glamour, scandal and Greek tragedy.

I still enjoy the Windsors, but not as much as I did when the Princess of Wales was alive. I adore William and Harry but the Duchess of Cornwall just depresses me.

Last edited:
Yes, this is what I like too. I like the idea that these people are actually related to Queen Victoria, King Christian IX, etc. I like how they are related to each other, too. I don't think they will be as interesting going forward now that they have started marrying commoners.

I made that same point in another thread...if the trend to marry commoners continues the link with real history will be lost. I see no problem with every once in a blue moon, but now Royalty marrying Royalty or nobility is the exception, not the rule.

I don't think that bodes well for the future, somehow.

I made that same point in another thread...if the trend to marry commoners continues the link with real history will be lost. I see no problem with every once in a blue moon, but now Royalty marrying Royalty or nobility is the exception, not the rule.

I don't think that bodes well for the future, somehow.

No, it doesn't. It will accelerate and justify the process of jettisoning the royal families. They will simply be less royal by blood, and add bad behavior, casual dress, etc., and out they go.

No, it doesn't. It will accelerate and justify the process of jettisoning the royal families. They will simply be less royal by blood, and add bad behavior, casual dress, etc., and out they go.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think we are already seeing the result of these types of marriages right now. I am not saying that these are not fine young women, quite the contrary. But the fact is that they have not been reared from birth with certain protocols, behavior and EXPECTATIONS ingrained in them. This current middle class and Western emphasis on marrying for "love first" simply cannot be the standard by which princes and princesses choose their life partners. It's a late 20th Century phenomenon that has become more and more acceptable.

Love is wonderful and of course should be a factor, but not the only one or necessarily even the first one, IMO.

Last edited:
But I haven't seen any pictures of Albert with his children.

There are pictures of Prince Albert with Alexandre in the Alexendre & Nicole Coste thread. I haven't seen him with Jazmin, though. I'm sure there are pictures floating around somewhere.

But to go back on topic: I prefer royalty but not the really stuffy high royals. I like royals with a bit of an edge. It's probably why I like the Casiraghis and the Windsors that, and they're all closer to my age.

I miss Robin Leach's "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"!! Champagne wishes and caviar dreams.....

I believe royalty has lost so much of their luster and glam that we've been forced to turn to high society

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom