Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morhange

Courtier
City
Springfield
Country
United States
Something that just hit me earlier when I was reading hellomagazine's online article about the Luxembourg wedding anniversary.

All of the current Crown Princesses in Europe, and most of them are commoners, still have very regal names. You have Mary, Mathilde, Maxima, Letizia, Sophie, Maria Teresa (because she's a commoner, but her name is still very royal). The only one which sort of isn't is Mette-Marit, but it easily sounds just as regal and pretty, and it's very unique.

Very interesting that these princes chose to marry commoner ladies with such gloriously royal names. Thank goodness, otherwise we might be gossiping about Crown Princess Cindy of Denmark, or the Hereditary Princess Gretchen (not that there's anything wrong with these names, but I think you get what I mean)

morhange said:
Something that just hit me earlier when I was reading hellomagazine's online article about the Luxembourg wedding anniversary.

All of the current Crown Princesses in Europe, and most of them are commoners, still have very regal names. You have Mary, Mathilde, Maxima, Letizia, Sophie, Maria Teresa (because she's a commoner, but her name is still very royal). The only one which sort of isn't is Mette-Marit, but it easily sounds just as regal and pretty, and it's very unique.

Very interesting that these princes chose to marry commoner ladies with such gloriously royal names. Thank goodness, otherwise we might be gossiping about Crown Princess Cindy of Denmark, or the Hereditary Princess Gretchen (not that there's anything wrong with these names, but I think you get what I mean)

Before CP Haakon married CP Mette-Marit, my friends and I talked about how strange it would be if we got a princess called Bente (to no offence for those who have this name), which is a very common (16761 have this name) and not very unique Norwegian girls name. Thankfully, we didn't, but I guess you can't be blamed for the name your parents chose. Though, as you say, Mette-Marit is more unique, and it is only 23 women in Norway who has this exact name. Though, Mette (9881) and Marit (28526), seperately, are more common.

Statistics found at: www.ssb.no

When Mette-Marit married Haakon, there was talk about getting her a more regal sounding name in one editorial or something like that.

The interesting part is that when Haakon's grandmother - Crown Princess Märtha married Crown Prince Olav - there were talk about giving her a more Norwegian-sounding name and, I can't remember which, at the moment, but either Mette or Marit were one of the names suggested. It should be noted that Märtha was Swedish and married Olav less than three decades after the union between Norway and Sweden was dissolved, thus feelings in Norway might've been suspected of being a bit tense towards Swedes...

I'm personally just thrilled that Sonja's spelling her name the way she is, and not an alternate Norwegian spelling - which is actually discouraged now, but there are people who spell their name that way - Sånnja. It's the way it is pronounced, yes, but it looks awful in writing, and not very regal.

I guess it is important with the recent influx in commoner brides - to consider what you name your child ;) You never know where they'll be in the future.

I agree with Morhange too.
If Albert will marry Charlene Wittstock, princess Charlene will sound quite regal too. Almost all crown princess have names started with M.

Last edited:
KikkiB said:
Before CP Haakon married CP Mette-Marit, my friends and I talked about how strange it would be if we got a princess called Bente (to no offence for those who have this name), which is a very common (16761 have this name) and not very unique Norwegian girls name. Thankfully, we didn't, but I guess you can't be blamed for the name your parents chose. Though, as you say, Mette-Marit is more unique, and it is only 23 women in Norway who has this exact name. Though, Mette (9881) and Marit (28526), seperately, are more common.

Statistics found at: www.ssb.no
The combination of Mette and Marit might be because of a series of books for young girls printed in the '50s and '60s - wherein the heroine was called Mette-Marit, and was a film-star and a ballerina and what-not...

The books were re-issued around the time of Haakon and Mette-Marit's wedding, but I don't think they caught on very well.

norwegianne said:
When Mette-Marit married Haakon, there was talk about getting her a more regal sounding name in one editorial or something like that.

The interesting part is that when Haakon's grandmother - Crown Princess Märtha married Crown Prince Olav - there were talk about giving her a more Norwegian-sounding name and, I can't remember which, at the moment, but either Mette or Marit were one of the names suggested. It should be noted that Märtha was Swedish and married Olav less than three decades after the union between Norway and Sweden was dissolved, thus feelings in Norway might've been suspected of being a bit tense towards Swedes...

I'm personally just thrilled that Sonja's spelling her name the way she is, and not an alternate Norwegian spelling - which is actually discouraged now, but there are people who spell their name that way - Sånnja. It's the way it is pronounced, yes, but it looks awful in writing, and not very regal.

I guess it is important with the recent influx in commoner brides - to consider what you name your child ;) You never know where they'll be in the future.

I've also heard something about that, of Mette-Marit changing her name to something more royal (just didn't know how to put it in writing without sounding "republican" - so thank you :) ). Kind of stupid to ask someone to change their name just because it's too common, whatever that is :eek: I doubt that parents, in their wildest dreams, think of whether their children will become prince/princess when they think of names! But parents nowadays ought to, since there is a slight chance that their bundles of joys might end up at Skaugum or the Palace in 30 years time :D

If Prince Harry married Chelsy Davy (I'm praying he doesn't) would she have to change her name so that it would sound more regal cause Princess Chelsy doesn't really cut it for me.

Shadiyah2086 said:
If Prince Harry married Chelsy Davy (I'm praying he doesn't) would she have to change her name so that it would sound more regal cause Princess Chelsy doesn't really cut it for me.

When and if Prince Harry marries, his wife will be known as Princess Henry of Wales unless HM the Queen gives him/them another title like she did when Sophie and Edward Wessex were married.

Mette-Marit - I found that the name Mette - is Danish and Norwegian pet form of Margaret; Marit - is Norwegian and Swedich form of Margaret. Than it's very royal name/names I think.

Sonja - German, Scandinavian, Finnish and Slovene form of Sonya [SON-ya, or SAWN-ya]- which is Russian pet form from Sophia.

Chelsy - Chelsie, Chelsey from Chelsea [CHEL-see] from the name of a district in London meaning "landing place for chalk or limestone" in Old English.

Last edited:
KikkiB said:
I've also heard something about that, of Mette-Marit changing her name to something more royal (just didn't know how to put it in writing without sounding "republican" - so thank you :) ). Kind of stupid to ask someone to change their name just because it's too common, whatever that is :eek: I doubt that parents, in their wildest dreams, think of whether their children will become prince/princess when they think of names! But parents nowadays ought to, since there is a slight chance that their bundles of joys might end up at Skaugum or the Palace in 30 years time :D

Didn't Pss Laurentien of the Netherlands changed her first name.. wasn't it Petra before she married Prince Constantijn??

Wow. Well, how would the public take it if thier crown prince married a woman that had a fairly common name?...for example Susan, Jessica, Nadine...would they mind if the new crown princess didn't change her name? Just imagine...Princess Rachel...that doesn't sound right. Now, I know I'd be carrying the husbands name and title and it wouldn't just be Princess and then my name...but I'm just imagining.:rolleyes:

Princess Robijn said:
Didn't Pss Laurentien of the Netherlands changed her first name.. wasn't it Petra before she married Prince Constantijn??
Yes, Petra Laurentien Brinkhorst.

magnik said:
Yes, Petra Laurentien Brinkhorst.

Did she legally remove her first name, or does she still have it but goes by Laurentien?

What about Princess Mary, you can't more common then that. Has there ever been any talk about her changing her name? I think with the movement of royalty into the 21st century, your name should stay as it is. Just my opinion...

RachelD said:
Did she legally remove her first name, or does she still have it but goes by Laurentien?

We do not administrate 'calling names' in the Netherlands. My registered names are Henri Antoine Marie but I can choose out of the three or even a different name. Often the first name is the 'calling name', but not always.

Princess Laurentien by birth was registered as Petra Laurentien Brinkhorst, daughter of mr. Laurens-Jan Brinkhorst and mrs. Jantien Heringa.

Upon her marriage she wanted to be known as Princess Laurentien. Her own choice and it was a name she had all her life long.

magnik said:
Mette-Marit - I found that the name Mette - is Danish and Norwegian pet form of Margaret; Marit - is Norwegian and Swedich form of Margaret. Than it's very royal name/names I think.

I found that Mette was a form of Mathilde/Maud.

Henri M. said:
We do not administrate 'calling names' in the Netherlands. My registered names are Henri Antoine Marie but I can choose out of the three or even a different name. Often the first name is the 'calling name', but not always.

Princess Laurentien by birth was registered as Petra Laurentien Brinkhorst, daughter of mr. Laurens-Jan Brinkhorst and mrs. Jantien Heringa.

Upon her marriage she wanted to be known as Princess Laurentien. Her own choice and it was a name she had all her life long.

So her name is still Petra Laurentien but she just prefers to be called Laurentien...cool! My full name is Rachel Elizabeth...so if I wanted to go by Elizabeth instead of Rachel, I'd be doing the same thing that Laurentien did, right?

Danielane said:
I found that Mette was a form of Mathilde/Maud.
I check few sources Marit Mette came from Margareta, Margrethe, Margit, Margta, Margarthe. But I found that Mette came from as Low German form of Mathildis too.
http://www.20000-names.com/female_m_names_4.htm
http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/Europe-Scandinavia/Sweden/Greek.htm
http://www.behindthename.com/

RachelD said:
So her name is still Petra Laurentien but she just prefers to be called Laurentien...cool! My full name is Rachel Elizabeth...so if I wanted to go by Elizabeth instead of Rachel, I'd be doing the same thing that Laurentien did, right?
But is it legal in USA, to go by this name just becouse instead of the other or maybe you should register that?

Last edited:
magnik said:
http://www.behindthename.com/
But is it legal in USA, to go by this name just becouse instead of the other or maybe you should register that?

Legally you'll still be known by your first name, but you can go by (with friends, family, the web, etc). your middle name or a nickname.
For example, my aunt's name is Mary Lynne, but she goes by Lynne. I hope I answered your question.

RachelD said:

That is right. But if you want to be 'Lisette'. It is okay too.

Prince Johan Friso became 'Prince Friso'.

The eldest daughter of Prince Friso is Emma Luana Ninette Sophie countess van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg. She is (now) known by her second name. She can made known later that she wants to be called Countess Emma, Countess Sophie or Countess Ninette. It all are her legal names.

:flowers:

Well, yes, when you say it, some name don't seem to go with those royal titles. But the worst scenario, that I've read in this thread, has to be "Princess Chelsy". It just won't sound good.

Furienna said:
Well, yes, when you say it, some name don't seem to go with those royal titles. But the worst scenario, that I've read in this thread, has to be "Princess Chelsy". It just won't sound good.

I don't know....it has a little ring to it- it could be worse :lol:.

My best friend's name is Elizabeth Marie, but she goes by Marie. When she was in elementary school, there were 5 other Elizabeths, so she went by her middle name to differentiate. It just stuck, although she said she's not going to legally change it to Marie.

What about Queen Paola of Belgium? Is Paola her first name?

In the US, whatever name is on your Social Securtiy Card is your legal name. There are a lot of men named William but go by the derivative of Bill, or Henry goes by Harry, etc. But whatever name is on the card is their "legal"name.

kerry said:

In the US, whatever name is on your Social Securtiy Card is your legal name. There are a lot of men named William but go by the derivative of Bill, or Henry goes by Harry, etc. But whatever name is on the card is their "legal"name.

According to the following Wikipedia article, your legal name is what appears on your birth certificate or marriage license.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_name

SusanE said:
According to the following Wikipedia article, your legal name is what appears on your birth certificate or marriage license.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_name

And your legal name is on your social security card as well. That's why it's used as a valid form of identification, especially when you're getting a passport or driver's license. When a woman marries and she changes her name, she has to file a request to have a new one sent to her with the new name on it. My mom had to when she got married.

You can't have a social security card with nicknames or other names on it. It must be the name you were given at birth UNTIL you legally change it, which will give you a new legal name to put on a new card.

Queen Paola and Queen Fabiola

kerry said:

Donna Paola Margherita Giuseppina Maria Antonia Consiglia dei Principi Ruffo di Calabria.

(daughter of the 6th Duke of Guardia Lombarda and Donna Luisa Gazelli di Rossana e di Sebastiano)

:flowers:

Doña Fabiola Fernanda María de las Victorias Antonia Adelaida de Mora y Aragón

(daughter of the Marquess de Casa Riera, Count of Mora and Doña Blanca de Aragón y Carrillo de Albornoz Barroeta-Aldamar y Elio)

Last edited:
Royal ladies have very long names...I kinda like it but I don't think its very appropriate if your not royal..:lol: usually commoners have 3 names.. It must be very good if your a royal mum and you can have your baby with names of monarchs at least 5 names... I've got a question, does Leonor just leonor? I mean almost all royal babies have long names..I don't recall our baby Leonor being called by another name or perhaps an extension to her name well except for Infanta which is not a name..:ROFLMAO: Does anyone know the complete name of Leonor?

Back
Top Bottom