Royal Art and Architecture

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lovy_bear

Gentry
City
~:o:~
Country
Canada
I thought that it would be interesting to start up a thread, on information and/or pictures in regards to different types of royal art and/or architecture around the world. While the prior topic includes elements like drawings, paintings, pottery and sculptures, the latter consists of such factors as castles, palaces, temples and buildings in general.

Here are some of my personal favourites (in reference to buildings) for now:

The Taj Mahal

The Shalimar Gardens

As a student of architecture, i'm very keen on this subject.
it would be interesting to participate in discussion and post some pictures...

one of my favorites royal palaces is Laeken Greenhouse (well, not exactly a castle, but i particulary adore the greenhouse.

yes, i love seeing the Taj Mahal also, lovy_bear!

and what i really find fascinating is the Grand Palace in Bangkok, Thailand.
wow... talk about splendour...
i remeber in Bangkok, there's also a palace called VinMaNek, where it's made entirerly out of wood... magnificent!

let see if i can dig up some pictures.. :) ;)

purple_platinum said:
and what i really find fascinating is the Grand Palace in Bangkok, Thailand. wow... talk about splendour...I remeber in Bangkok, there's also a palace called VinMaNek, where it's made entirerly out of wood... magnificent!
I visited the Grand Palace in Bangkok in November with my husband. I think WOW is the only possible word to use to describe it!!!! So much opulence!!! It is amazing to think that this Palace was once the actual home of the Thai Royal Family.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi purple_platinum,

It’s really cool that you’re studying architecture. While I’m personally not learning about the subject in-depth, I did take a few art history courses a few years ago and recently took an urban politics class. So I know a “little bit” about architecture but not much.

Yes I find the Taj Mahal particularly fascinating, because of its exquisite beauty and diverse multicultural history on both a religious and regional level. I like how the building holds a Muslim-Hindu combination in reference to structure, imagery and calligraphy. Furthermore, the fact that the numerous amount of materials used to create it came from all over the world (to a certain extent), as did its craftsmen and architects intrigues me.

I found some information on the Grand Palace and the Vimanmek Palace. You’re right both of them are absolutely stunning. But I personally like the latter better, because of its earthly qualities, warm colours and rectangular designs.

The interiors of many Belgian palaces are especially very beautiful as well. One can discover more images of the Laeken greenhouse(s) by going to Corbis, and typing in the words "Laeken greenhouse" in the search bar. The first four pictures in the result section look strikingly vibrant and pretty dream-like.

Last edited:
Lahore Fort if it were fully restored would be beautiful.
http://www.islamabad.diplo.de/de/Bild__main,property=BildDaten.null

The Pink Fort in Agra.
http://www.artexpression.com/images/ARI/jpgs/OR14001.jpg

Neuschwanstiein Castle in Germany is the epitome of the fairytale castle
http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/koa/pics/castle.jpg

The Topkapi Palace in Istanbul
http://www.ee.bilkent.edu.tr/~history/Ext/Saray10.jpg

The Alhambra in Grenada.
http://www.alhambra.info/imagenes/004-granada-alhambra.jpg

Palma Cathedral
http://www.patriciafarrell.co.uk/images2/palma3.jpg

The pyramids at Giza, which were after all built by Egyptian Royals.
http://www.begann.de/begann/pyramids.jpg

Last edited:
I posted this on the Greek/Byzantine Royals sections, might as well share it here too. Two Royal Palaces that were never built:

Some years ago I found at the local library an architectural book that had pictures on Royal buildings that were never made, like the Orianda Palace in Crimea. One of the photos had the floor plan for what was to be a new Greek Royal palace to be built in the 19th Century :eek: right on the Acropolis around the ruins! The monstrous project never came to be, but I found the floor plans on a German site and they are worth printing since I have not come across any other match on that forgotten piece of modern Royal Greek history:

Palace for the Acropolis Athens (Greece), 1834

Floor plan for the project from above: the new palace is shown surrounding the ruins all over. This was the picture I saw in a book that got me to track down the rest. Thanks to the internet I was able to find the rest years and years apart from when I saw that picture in a library book.

Front elevation

Sections -- Palace for the Acropolis, Athens (Greece), 1834

Side elevation -- Palace for the Acropolis

Sections -- Palace for the Acropolis,

Great interior hall -- Palace for the Acropolis, Athens (Greece), 1834

Hi Toledo,

The thread titled Castles and Other Royal Homes isn’t the same as this one. I believe that the former one’s strictly or primarily based, on the multiple amount of habitations that individuals within certain royal families presently hold. This thread’s more diverse in regards to its subject matter.

Ancient Art and Burial Chambers:

The Valley of the Kings - Egypt

The Terracotta Army - China

Ancient Castles:

Chogha Zanbil - Iran

Great Zimbabwe - Zimbabwe

Machu Picchu - Peru

As a little girl I visited Shalimar gardens with my family many times. Not to mention other Mughal forts, tombs, palaces in Lahore. That city is littered with the reminders of the Mughal era.
Shalimar is particularly beautiful. I can just picture the ladies of the Mughal court, dressed in all their finery, strolling through its gardens, around the many fountains, and resting in the pavillions. I think the Pakistani government should take better care of these treasures of a bygone imperial era.

Last edited:
lovy_bear said:
Hi Toledo,

The thread titled Castles and Other Royal Homes isn’t the same as this one. I believe that the former one’s strictly or primarily based, on the multiple amount of habitations that individuals within certain royal families presently hold. This thread’s more diverse in regards to its subject matter.

Thanks, Lovy_bear. And those are some interesting links in your signature :)

~*~Humera~*~ said:
As a little girl I visited Shalimar gardens with my family many times. Not to mention other Mughal forts, tombs, palaces in Lahore. That city is littered with the reminders of the Mughal era.
Shalimar is particularly beautiful. I can just picture the ladies of the Mughal court, dressed in all their finery, strolling through its gardens, around the many fountains, and resting in the pavillions. I think the Pakistani government should take better care of these treasures of a bygone imperial era.

Humera, first, you got one of my favorite TV characters as avatar! Love that evil kid.
Second, I agree with your posts, I have a good book collection on Indian, Mughal and British Raj architecture (a book on Lutyen's creations in New Dehli) and they are beyond description.

Toledo said:
I have a good book collection on Indian, Mughal and British Raj architecture (a book on Lutyen's creations in New Dehli) and they are beyond description.
A couple of fabbo books: "The Royal Palaces of India" by George Michell & Antonio Martinelli, Thames & Husdon 1994. 250 illustrations, 206 in colour.

"German Castles and Palaces" by Klaus Merton, The Vendome Press, 1999 (this is one of the better books on the German Palaces).

Versailles, Versailles, Versailles...

The most Majestic place on earth I am sure!

"MII"

"As a little girl I visited Shalimar gardens with my family many times. Not to mention other Mughal forts, tombs, palaces in Lahore. That city is littered with the reminders of the Mughal era.
Shalimar is particularly beautiful. I can just picture the ladies of the Mughal court, dressed in all their finery, strolling through its gardens, around the many fountains, and resting in the pavillions. I think the Pakistani government should take better care of these treasures of a bygone imperial era."

Shalimar is beautiful, when we last visited the gardens, which was 1996, one of caretakers of the Gardens switched the fountains on for us, which is very rarely done. We had English friends who were travelling with us at the time so he wanted to see the beauty of the Garden! It was a nice touch.
As for their restoration, it is important but when the Government has so many other pressing matters to deal with, sadly it will be low on the agenda.

Toledo said:
Humera, first, you got one of my favorite TV characters as avatar! Love that evil kid.

ditto. That little diabolical genius has become my favourite tv character as well;)

Second, I agree with your posts, I have a good book collection on Indian, Mughal and British Raj architecture (a book on Lutyen's creations in New Dehli) and they are beyond description.

yes Mughal architecture is breathtaking, along with the Moorish, it is my favourite among all Islamic architecture. It is a great pity that so many Mughal buildings have been damaged throughout history during various conflicts. The brilliant precious and semi-precious stones that once adorned all those buildings are all but gone.

Shalimar Gardens in Lahore, Pakistan
The Gardens and Fort are a UNESCO World Heritage site.
The wikipedia link on the gardens, posted by lovey bear, is very good and goes into the design of the gardens in detail.

Here's a little more on the magnificent buildings built by Mughal Emperor Shah Jehan (now in modern-day Pakistan and India)

Shah Jehan's Architectural Legacy:
Anar Sagar Pavilions, Ajmer
Palaces in Agra Fort, including Anguri Bagh, Khas Mahal, Diwan-i-Khas, and Diwan-i-Am, Agra (1627-38)
Taj Mahal, Agra (1631-52)
Black Pavilion (Shalimar Bagh), Srinagar (1630)
Wazir Khan's Mosque, Lahore (1634)
Shalimar Bagh, Lahore (1637)
Palaces in Lahore Fort, including Chati Khwabgah, Diwan-i-Am, and Mussaman Burj, Lahore
Asaf Khan's Tomb, Lahore (c. 1641)
Shahjehanabad, Delhi (1638-48)
Red Fort and Palace, Delhi (1639-48)
Chini ka Rauza, Agra (c. 1639)
Jama Masjid, Agra (1648)
Jama Masjid, Delhi (1650-6)
Fatehpuri Masjid, Delhi (1650)
Moti Masjid (Agra Fort), Agra (1654)

http://www.edwebproject.org/india/shahjehan.html

Some pictures from Corbis and APL

Last edited:
Lahore Fort or "Shahi Qila", Lahore, Pakistan

Although founded some where in the B.C. era yet built into its present shape between 1566 and 1673 A.D. A grandeur of Moghal Architecture best preserved archaeologically are "SHISH MAHAL" (The Palace of Mirrors), "MOTI MASJID" (Pearl Mosque), " "DIWAN-E-AAM" (Court for the Commons) and "HATHI PER" (Elephant Steps). it also has Moghal & Sikh period museums.
http://www.lahore.gov.pk/attractions/places.htm

Obscure origins of a magnificent & important landmark

According to available historical information, the origin of Lahore Fort is obscure. Traditionally the foundation of Lahore and its fort is attributed to Loh, the son of Rama, Avatara of Lord Vishnu of Hinduism, and hero of the Ramayana of epic age (1200-800 B.C.). However, during the execution done in the year 1959 A.D. by the Department of Archaelogy, in front of Diwan-e-Am, a gold coin of Mahmood of Ghazni dated A.H. 146 (1025 A.D.) was found at a depth of 25 feet from the level of the lawns. Cultural layers continued to a further depth of 15 feet, giving strong indications that people had lived here, long before the conquest of Lahore by Mahmud in 1021 A.D.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahore_Fort

The Fort was rebuilt and added to many times by various Mughal Emperors, starting with Akbar. More details can be seen at the wikipedia link above.

Some pictures from APL:

Diwan-e-Khas: hall of special audience with the emperor (Wikipedia)

Lahore Fort - Details

Pictures from APL, Alamy, and Archnet

Lahore Fort - Naulakha Pavillion

The Naulakha pavilion is a marble building located at the Sheesh Mahal courtyard, which is itself located at the Lahore Fort in Lahore, Pakistan. Its western face provides a panoramic view of the ancient city of Lahore. When it was built in 1631 A.D. by the Mughal emperor Shahjahan, it cost Rs.900,000, an exorbitant amount at the time. It is called Naulakha because that word in Urdu means 'worth 9 lakhs' (one lakh equals 100,000).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naulakha_pavilion

Pictures from Alamy and wikipedia:

This isn't related to the topic but I found this at wikipedia and just loved it! Looks like historic Mughal architecture continues to inspire:

The Pakistani embassy in Washington D.C. is modelled on the Naulakha pavilion. (Wikipedia)

Lahore Fort - "Sheesh Mahal"

The Sheesh Mahal (شيش محل), literally "Palace of Mirrors", is one of the most lavish rooms within the Lahore Fort (in present-day Pakistan). The walls and ceiling are covered with small pieces of colored mirror. The Sheesh Mahal was constructed by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in 1631.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheesh_Mahal

Pictures from APL, Oriental architecture, Alamy & wikipedia:

Those pictures are breath taking, thanks Humera! :)

Warren, I have the first of those books. Many books in my collection are from tag sales or obscure New England used book stores where people sell their old books to the store and are re-sold again. One of my favorites is an oversize book I have I think called desert kingdom that contains 19th and early 20th century photos of one of the Indian Kingdoms during the British Raj times.

Infrastructure from Seljuk-Safavid Iran and Timurid Uzbekistan

Source - Wikipedia

(From left to right)

The Kharagan Twin Towers in Iran - Tombs of Seljuk Princes

The Golestan Palace in Iran

The Gur-Imir in Uzbekistan - Mausoleum of Timur

The Shah-i-Zindah in Uzbekistan - Timurid Tombs

Buildings from Moorish Spain

Source - Wikipedia

(From left to right)

The Mezquita x 3 - Ancient Palace and House of Worship

The Alhambra x 3 - Ancient Palace and Fortress

Toledo said:
Thanks, Lovy_bear. And those are some interesting links in your signature :)

No prob and thanks, that's why I thought that they were worth posting up. :cool:

~*~Humera~*~ said:
yes Mughal architecture is breathtaking, along with the Moorish, it is my favourite among all Islamic architecture. It is a great pity that so many Mughal buildings have been damaged throughout history during various conflicts. The brilliant precious and semi-precious stones that once adorned all those buildings are all but gone.

I think so too. Both Moorish and Mughal buildings are very unique, vibrant and extremely detail-oriented (as are many other infrastructures around the world), which is the main reason as to why I find them so fascinating as well. But I think that the Sultan Ahmed Mosque (in Turkey) has one of the most gorgeous interiors of all Muslim architecture out there, because of its vast rings of glowing light and beautiful stained glass windows.

As for damaged buildings around the world (regardless of the type), I've heard that certain organizations actually give money to individual government officials of different countries, in order to help repair the destruction. But some politicians unfortunately decide to keep the money for personal material gain, as opposed to using it for its actual cause and goal. :( This is what allegedly happened in Uzbekistan a little while ago (for example). If you look closely at the dome of Timur's tomb, you'll notice that it has fungus growing all over it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the pictrues, Humera, the Sheesh Mahal is one of my favourite parts of Lahore Fort. Have you ever been when they've had candles lit? It's spectacular.

lovy_bear said:
I think so too. Both Moorish and Mughal buildings are very unique, vibrant and extremely detail-oriented (as are many other infrastructures around the world), which is the main reason as to why I find them so fascinating as well. But I think that the Sultan Ahmed Mosque (in Turkey) has one of the most gorgeous interiors of all Muslim architecture out there, because of its vast rings of glowing light and beautiful stained glass windows.
oh yes, I forgot about the Ottomans. I love that style of architecture too, especially the mosques and palaces (topkapi).
I think the reason I love Mughal and Moorish styles is because they're a brilliant mixture of Islamic and local influences.

As for damaged buildings around the world (regardless of the type), I've heard that certain organizations actually give money to individual government officials of different countries, in order to help repair the destruction.
thats true. There's also the fact that, as Little star mentioned, some of the governments have other priorities. And ofcourse modern development continues to threaten historic sites. Only recently I saw two amazing documentaries on the subject, one of them was about an ancient Roman villa discovered in Turkey. Miraculously it had a perfectly preserved and stunning mosaic floor which literally had to be cut out in pieces and carted off to a local museum because the area was going to be flooded (I think, in order to be turned into a dam). The local population had to be evacuated as well. The other doc was about an egyptian site where archaeologists had to race against time in order to salvage as many artifacts as possible before the government could pour concrete all over it and build a bridge.

About some of the sites in Lahore. I think the government does realize the need to take action and had asked UNESCO and the World Heritage committee for help to preserve sites like Shalimar:
http://whc.unesco.org/pg.cfm?cid=31&id_site=171

An excerpt from the wikipedia article on the Lahore fort:

"The Pakistani Government seems to understand the historic value of this fort, as is evident from this warning prominently placed at the visitor entrance to the fort:
WARNING: The Fort is a protected monument under the Antiquities Act 1975. It is incumbent upon everyone to take care and so safeguard it by avoiding any damage, destruction, misuse, bill posting, fixing of commercial sign, other scribbling on the structure etc. If anybody is found involved in the violation of aforementioned acts he/she shall be punishable with fine, which may extend to Rs.200,000/= (US $3,300) or with rigorous imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years or with fine or with both under the Antiquities Act, 1975. (The activity indicated was undertaken with the support of the World Heritage Fund of UNESCO)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahore_Fort

The British did their part in damaging historic Mughal buildings as well (destroying a part of the Lahore Fort) not to mention the stories of them carrying off the jewels adorning some of these buildings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom