Royal Anecdotes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess Sophie

Courtier
City
On the border...
Country
Belgium
A nice story between Willem-Alexander and princess Diana:

They were at a official diner and princess Diana sat next to Willem-Alexander. They were talking to each other and to other people who sat on the table. The diner was just served so it was silent in the room, the event took place. Suddenly, Willem-Alexander let fall his spoon and said "Sh*t". All the other people heard it clearly and got a red head, but continued in silence. Princess Diana started to giggle and when prince Willem-Alexander looked at her, he too.

Beatrix wasn't amused.... :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol:

please post other nice stories/anecdotes where royals play a big role :flower:

nice thread!

this one is about juan carlos of spain. as you may know, he really likes motorbikes and cars (and he has really nice models!), and that day he decided to went to the mountain with his harley davidson. a young boy was hitchhiking because he had to go to to segovia. the 'driver' told him to get on, because he was going to segovia. while they were on the motorbike talking, the boy noticed something strange in his voice... but he didn't know it was the king because he was wearing the crash helmet. what a surprise when they arrived to segovia... the king have taken him in his motorbike... :p

I especially liked the one about Willem-Alexander. :lol:

Great you liked it :)

That one of Juan Carlos was also nice :flower:

Hopefully we get more nice and fun stories!!!

Royal Royalties

On her fifth birthday Princess Margaret entertained Peter Pan author James Barrie (then a guest at Glamis). "Is that your own?" he asked, indicating a gift on her plate. "It's yours and mine," she replied, a response which so delighted Barrie that he incorporated it into The Boy David and promised to pay her a penny per show.

By the time the play was staged two years later, Barrie had forgotten his debt. The king, however, had not, and sent a message to the playwright warning him that failure to pay Margaret her royalties would prompt a call from the royal solicitors.

A contrite Barrie drew up a mock solemn agreement on parchment. Sadly, he died before the sack of pennies could be delivered.

Princess Elizabeth

One day a preacher leaving Glamis Castle promised to send princess Elizabeth, then a little girl of ten, a book as a gift. She thanked him and added: "Not about God - I know everything about him."

i would love to hear some other Royal Anecdotes maybe something about the swedish royal family

George III of Great Britain and Ireland was being driven
through Windsor Great Park when he ordered his carriage
driver to stop. The King got out, walked over to an oak
tree, shook hands with one of its branches and talked to it
for several minutes. He thought he was talking to the King
of Prussia.

King Haakon VII of Norway was staying at Buckingham Palace during the first period of his exile in London.

When the blitz came, and Buckingham Palace was bombed, his nephew King George came to see if his uncle was alright.

King Haakon said, referring to the holes in the roof: I'm fine, but I think you'd better lend me your umbrella.

These anecdotes are priceless. Does anybody else have anymore to share?

The father of my grandmother worked by the Belgian Royal family. Once he was working in the garden and the king (Leopold) was playing golf on the other side of the wooden fence. One of the balls flew over the fence. After his play the king asked 'I hope the ball didn't fell on your head?' Maybe this is not a very funny anecdote, but I thought it was cute!

the one about Willem-Alexander and Diana is excellent lol, i can just imagine the other royals faces :)

These are quite well known but worth a mention

King George V
Upon being advised by his doctor to spend a few weeks in Bognor to recover after being ill, the King replied... "Bognor - Bugger Bognor!"

The Queen Mother 1
Whilst waiting to be served her Gin & Tonic, she could hear her staff arguing in the hallway outside her sitting room. Impatient at being kept waiting so long the Queen Mother called out "when you two 'Queens' have finished arguing, this Old Queen wants her Gin."

The Queen Mother 2
Whilst inspecting the Guard at Buckingham Place one day with Noel Coward (who was known to be gay), the Queen Mother glanced accross at Noel and caught his eye gazing upon an attactive young soldier. The Queen Mother lent towards Noel and said "I wouldn't if I was you Noel... they count them before they go back in."

Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece 1
In the Second World War, Alice (and her sister in law The Princess Nicholas mother of Princess Marina) remained in Greece during the German ocupation. As Alice was born a German Princess (of Battenburg) Hitler, who assumed that she would be pro-german, sent his senior officer in Greece to meet with the Princess. Upon being asked if there was any items, food or anything he could do to make life more comfertable for the Princess, Alice replied "Well yes actualy... you can get the Hell out of my Country for a start!"

Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece 2
Born deaf, Alice amazed her Granddaughter Princess Anne one day whilst living with her son & daughter-in-law at Buckingham Palace in the late 1960s. Prince Philip and Alice had been arguing in her rooms, when Princess Anne sore her farther fly out of the room in anger and as he stormed down the corridor uttered an undiscolsed profanity towards his mother... despite being deaf, Alice replied and her responce was given to be an acurate reply to her sons comment despite the fact there is no way she could have heard what he said.

Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece 3
In her later life, the Princess had become a Nun and started her own Order of Nuns in Greece. One day she was being driven by one of her 'sisters' to the Royal Palace in Athens. The sister driving did not know the way and therefore Alice was providing directions. Not long after leaving, Alice asked the Sister to turn Left... which the Sister did, there and then without waiting for the next left hand turn... Alice and her driver found themselves in a ditch at the side of the Road.

Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece 4 (again)
During the time that became known as her mad period (although today we now know she was simply suffering from acute depression inspired by her exile from greece, deafness and the growing gulf between her husband and her self) she was inivted to lunch by Prince & Princess George of Greece, however she declined "Im sorry, I cant make it today... I am having lunch with Christ" and put the phone down.

Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece 5 (PRIZE WINNER)
As her health began to deteriorate, Alice informed her son Prince Philip that she wished to be burried in the Holy City of Jerusalem. Philip, taken aback by her request said "you cant do that... we wouldnt be able to come and visit your grave." Alice, without missing a heartbeat replied "Oh dont be so silly... there is a bus service!"

Last edited:
I'll always love Princess Anne's "Not bloody likely, and I haven't got two million," lol!

One of my favorite stories is about Queen Victoria after she gave birth to her last child Princess Beatrice. Queen Victoria was advised by her doctors to not have anymore children and the shocked Queen has been quoted as reply "Can I not have fun in bed anymore?" This is also the woman who wrote her daughter Vicky, Crown Princess and later Empress of Prussia, that childbirth was the "shadow side of life" for women.

Prince Alfred, Duke of Saxe Coburg Gotha and second son of Queen Victoria, married Russian Grand Duchess Marie. When his wife had shoes made for herself there was never a left and a right shoe, she thought that was silly!! She had her boots made fitted to either foot and wore them!

lol. Very interesting stories/anecdotes. Anyone know of any others?

A Realy nice anecdote from the Queen mother:
Recently the Queen Mother visited Westminster Abbey to see how plans for her funeral were getting on. When she was shown the candles which will be placed on the altar around her coffin, she shook her head. I don't like those at all, she said, "do you mind if I bring some of my own?"

hillary_nugent said:
George III of Great Britain and Ireland was being driven
through Windsor Great Park when he ordered his carriage
driver to stop. The King got out, walked over to an oak
tree, shook hands with one of its branches and talked to it
for several minutes. He thought he was talking to the King
of Prussia.

Oh, that's sad!

norwegianne said:
King Haakon VII of Norway was staying at Buckingham Palace during the first period of his exile in London.

When the blitz came, and Buckingham Palace was bombed, his nephew King George came to see if his uncle was alright.

King Haakon said, referring to the holes in the roof: I'm fine, but I think you'd better lend me your umbrella.

How were they uncle and nephew?

Its one of those Motor Mouth Royal moments when someone speaks before thinking... and from my previous posts regarding Princess Alice... you can see where Prince Philip and his children get it from!

Princess Anne: One day upon leaving the Church at Sandringham, Princess Anne was given a basket of flowers by a well wishing member of the public. Excited that she was at the front of the spectators and that she had been fortunate enough to be able to hand her flowers directly to the Princess, the women remarked "I arranged them my self," to which the Princess replied "Really? Why did you bother doing that!" and carried on down the road. It is not known what Anne ment by this comment and if it should have been "oh thank you, you really shouldnt have spent so much time on it for us." However the well wisher was offended but is still a fan of the Royal Family.

Alicky said:
I'll always love Princess Anne's "Not bloody likely, and I haven't got two million," lol!
What happened to beget such a response?

When she was 24, that kidnapping event. The kidnapper(Ian Ball) used his car to trap her car, he aimed his gun at her and said: "I want you to come with me for a day or two, I want two million. Will you get out of the car?" That's when she said it.

She's pretty feisty!

tiger said:
A Realy nice anecdote from the Queen mother:
Recently the Queen Mother visited Westminster Abbey to see how plans for her funeral were getting on. When she was shown the candles which will be placed on the altar around her coffin, she shook her head. I don't like those at all, she said, "do you mind if I bring some of my own?"

I dont understand this, sorry. But the Queen Mother was looking around at the preperation for her own funeral?!How could they be preparing for her funeral before her actual death?

There was a rehaersal each year for the funeral of the Queen mother and she has planned several things by herself. So it was at one of theese rehaersal when she asked if she can bring the candles with her.

Alicky said:
When she was 24, that kidnapping event. The kidnapper(Ian Ball) used his car to trap her car, he aimed his gun at her and said: "I want you to come with me for a day or two, I want two million. Will you get out of the car?" That's when she said it.

She's pretty feisty!

Makes you wonder what Charles or Edward might have done. (I'm excepting Andrew b/c we know he has guts from his performance in the Falkland Islands.)

I love the one about the current Queen Elizabeth shopping in Braemar and another customer in the store said, "oh you look so much like the queen" to which QEII replied, "how very reassuring."

That's very good. :)

(Imagine how Prince Philip would have reacted in a similar situation. I wouln't like to have been the other customer in that case! :rolleyes: ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom