Royal Anecdotes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
crisiñaki said:
It's near but not in Madrid's downtown like the Royal Palace is;)

La Zarzuela used to be a palace for the Kings when they were hunting so it's just outside of Madrid, near El Pardo

Here's a view of la Zarzuela:
http://maps.google.es/maps?f=q&hl=es&q=La+Zarzuela,++Madrid&ie=UTF8&ll=40.461793,-3.784286&spn=0.001575,0.005407&t=h&om=1

I hope I have gotten it right:eek::eek::eek:

You have had a small mistake, this it is the Hospital of The Zarzuela, that it is in Madrid capital. The Palace of The Zarzuela is in the mount of El Pardo, in the Community of Madrid, but out of the center of Madrid capital , to several kilometres.

Number 21 is the Mount of El Pardo

lula said:
You have had a small mistake, this it is the Hospital of The Zarzuela, that it is in Madrid capital. The Palace of The Zarzuela is in the mount of El Pardo, in the Community of Madrid, but out of the center of Madrid capital , to several kilometres.

Number 21 is the Mount of El Pardo

Thanks lula, I knew I wasn't totally right!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Elizabeth (QEII) and Princess Margaret

Her sister Princess Elizabeth, 10, had informed Princess Margaret, 6, that their uncle Edward VIII had abdicated.

Margaret: "Does this mean you will be the next queen?"
Elizabeth: "Yes, someday." replied Elizabeth.
Margaret: "Poor you."

And I thought Margareth wanted to be queen? Or have I misunderstood something?

Margaret said "poor you" because Elizabeth will now be the Queen, along with the burden and responsibilities that goes with it.

That's why William promised Harry that he will not abdicate because Harry doesn't want the crown.

Another SRF anecdote:

At the pre-wedding gala for the wedding of Infanta Cristina and Iñaki Urdangarín the first main table was presided by the groom and Queen Sofia and the other main table was presided by the bride and her father; KJC saw this and told Iñaki (rather loudly): "hey son, each with his own" (oye hijo, cada uno con la suya, no crees?) so they switched places and KJC sat with his wife and the young lovebirds sit together...:)

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:

Her sister Princess Elizabeth, 10, had informed Princess Margaret, 6, that their uncle Edward VIII had abdicated.

i read this anecdote years ago in Reader's Digest and i thought it was really hilarious. :)

the anecdote (more like story) that i liked was the bit about Prince Felipe being such a deep sleeper. i laughed about how he couldn't wake up early in the morning despite having four alarm clocks at his bedside.

another anecdote i liked was when the future Princess Letizia cut off Prince Felipe with "Dejame terminar!" ("Let me finish!") when he interrupted her as she was speaking. it happened during the presscon when their engagement was announced.

:)

I read this in a book about QEII and Princess Margaret:

Princess Margaret was born when Elizabeth was four years old, and upon learning that she had a new sister, she was running all over the palace telling people. When she bumped into Lady Cynthia Asquith, she said "I've got a baby sister, Margaret Rose, but I'm going to call her Bud." When Lady Asquith asked why that was, Lilibet said "Well, she's not a real rose yet, is she? She's only a bud."

Aw, that's so cute! Princess Bud! He he...

Here's one from the Greek royal family that King Constantine gave in an interview. Apparently when he went to ask his wife's father for her hand in marriage, he was locked in the bathroom by the king so that he would be unable to propose.

Here's one from the Greek royal family that King Constantine gave in an interview. Apparently when he went to ask his wife's father for her hand in marriage, he was locked in the bathroom by the king so that he would be unable to propose.

I thought this was Prince Richard.

Is that king Constantine, as the current ex-king? And the wife would be Anne-Marie of Denmark?

That was King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie. The King locked Constantine in his private bathroom with the light off whilst he spoke to Queen Ingrid about it. Their Majesties spoke about it on "A Royal Family".

norwegianne said:
Astrid and Ragnhild of Norway
When they were little girls, Princesses Ragnhild and Astrid of Norway came across another girl who had a fancy doll with various accessories. The princesses expressed their admiration. The other girl asked why, since they were princesses they could have as many dolls as they wanted.

One of the princesses replied: No, we can't. We just have to behave better than others.

Children warm our hearts with their honesty and prompt response.

This anedocte you told us, norwegianne, must be one of the most beautiful I have ever heard.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledges on royal anedoctes.

Regards,
mtbcm :)

norwegianne said:
George was the son of George who was the brother of Maud - Haakon's wife. ;)

Other anecdotes:

Astrid and Ragnhild of Norway
When they were little girls, Princesses Ragnhild and Astrid of Norway came across another girl who had a fancy doll with various accessories. The princesses expressed their admiration. The other girl asked why, since they were princesses they could have as many dolls as they wanted.

One of the princesses replied: No, we can't. We just have to behave better than others.

i'm enjoying this thread so much. especially like this one, if only all royal children were brought up as well. thanks everybody

crisiñaki said:
1. When KJC (then the Prince of Asturias) wanted to get engaged to QS (then Princess of Greece) he didn't ask the "proper" way (you know, bend in one knee and ask and stuff). They were (with their parents) in a hotel in Switzerland and Juan took a box out of his pocket and threw it at her and said: "Sofi, catch it" and it was the engagement ring; I guess words weren't needed back then:rolleyes:

That's surprisingly romantic! I've got a good one: One day, the Prince of Wales (future Edward VII), the Tsar of Russia (Alexander III) and King of Greece (George I) were visiting Denmark and taking a walk when became hopelessly lost looking for their way back to Fredensborg. A farmer drove past in a little horse-drawn cart and offered them a ride, and the three august gentleman promptly jumped in. When the farmer dropped them off at their destination, he said, "Gentlemen, it's been a pleasure talking with you. May I inquire after your names?"

The tsar replied, "Of course. I am Alexander, Tsar of Russia, and this gentleman is the Prince of Wales." The man turned to George and said, "And who might you be?"

"I might be, and I am King George of the Hellenes."

The man looked back and forth at each man, then said, "Ah, I see. You know who I am, gentlemen?

The men looked at one another and shook their hands. The farmer leaned in close and said: "I am Jesus Christ!"

This was dramatized in the 70s miniseries, Edward the King, although the farmer said he was Napoleon Bonaparte instead.

Last edited:
I don't know if this fits but I was watching a documentary on the Queen. On it they had the first (or one of) meetings of the then Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip

The King, Queen, Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret were visiting the navel academy wear Prince Philip was a student. He had the job of taking the Princesses jackets. Princess Margaret slips hers off and doesn't really look at him. Princess Elizabeth on the other hand whips around and kind of checks him out. The whole exchange is really adorable and funny especially since there is such a difference in the way that Margaret and Elizabeth act in those few minutes.

I don't blame Her Majesty, The Duke of Ediburgh was a looker in his prime years =).

And they ended getting married too, didn't they? ;) We just be happy that Margareth didn't want him too!

Okay, I read this somewhere and have to relate it, I hope no one will find it offensive. If so, I won't be offended if the Admins delete it.
King George V was in conversation with a gentleman ( I cannot remember who, sorry!) when the gentleman audibly passes gas. The King, thinking to spare the man embarassment spots a dog sitting on the floor next to him, kicks it and says something like "Damn dogs". But the poor dog is a porcelain one and so the gentleman was spared no embarassment!

How humiliating would that be?:D Though I would rather just cop to it than have someone kick their poor dog to save me embarassment.
I wish I could remember the story exactly the way it was written, It was so funny:D

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:

This one is one of the funniest I have hear, though all the guys here put such funny stories! :D :D :D

Prince Henrik and Queen Margrethe II are resinding at their summer residens Marselisborg Palace, when one morning the Prince Consort informs the chef the he and the Queen will eat out for supper.

In the aftersoon the Queen makes an inquire to the kitchen about when they can expect their supper. It is after supper time and should have been served !

The chef informes Her Majesty that the Prince Consort has informed him he that the couple would eat out for supper. The Queen sounds surprised and unaware of this, but hangs up.

Later he receives a call from the Price Consort. He ment "eat outside" ! Poor chaps danish isn't perfect !

"Yay let's get into mommyyyy"

A young Crownprince Frederik upon boarding the ferry "Queen Margrethe II".

I don´t think anyone mentioned this one before.
Queen Silvia once told this story about Carl Philip´s christening:

Carl Philip started crying during the ceremony and then little Victoria got up from her golden chair and put a little pillow under his head. She was the only one who had seen that the king´s medals (or whatever your call what he wears on his breast) had been scrating baby Carl Philip´s head.

I think this is so cute...

I like the one about John Major who asked the Queen what he should do about "a problem". The Queen replied, "I should write to your MP". Similarly, when the Dean of Windsor asked her for advice, she said, "That's what you're paid for".

In 1935 King George V met the author John Buchan and told him, "I don't get much time for reading, but when I do I enjoy your books, 'The Thirty-Nine Steps' and so on. Now before you go, the Queen would like to have a word with you." Buchan soon met Queen Mary who told him, "The King does not get much time for reading but when he does I'm affraid he read the most awful rubbish."

he he :lol:

At a cocktail party a guest was chatting to Princess Mary, sister of King George VI, without beeing able to remember who she was. He ventured the question, "What is your brother dooing these days?" "Oh", the Princess replied, "he's still king!"

:)

And one about a very 'nice' uncle...:

When he was young, Prince Charles, who was sensitive about his ears sticking out, was told by his uncle Lord Louis Mountbatten, "They'll never let you be King with ears like that."

:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom