Reactions To Your Interest In Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday I was able to inform a gentleman about Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra's visit to Nicky's uncle King Edward VII at Cowles in 1909. The man appreciated all the details I told him about the imperial visit.
Just to nit-pick, King Edward VII was Alexandra's uncle too. Her mother had been Edward's sister.

A lady told me that she knew that Prince George of Cambridge was named after Queen Elizabeth II's father, King George VI. She wondered about Princess Charlotte of Cambridge's name.
I told the lady about Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz who was Queen Charlotte, the spouse of King George III of England. The lady was happy with my explanation.

At best all the people I know are indifferent about the monarchy. Seldom positive and sometimes negative in the sense of "too much money and too many holidays".

I sense no change in this before and after 2013 (Beatrix vs Willem-Alexander): same indifference.

But where Beatrix was affiched as too aloof, Willem-Alexander is too folksy. Resumé: indifference and are they not hit by the one ("too aloof") then they will be hit by the other ("too folksy") and never will do it right.

I think a lot of royal families have that problem. They're either too normal or not normal enough, and either too aloof or too huggy-kissy. If someone wears the same outfit several times, or borrows a dress which a relative has been seen wearing (Louise and Sophie) the media make a fuss about it. If they always wear new clothes, they get criticised for being too extravagant. It must be very frustrating feeling that you can't do right for doing wrong.

Most people I know do like the British Royal Family, but it seems that the media are always ready to criticise.

In Australia I’ve found that people in general here are indifferent to the monarchy/BRF, though there were high ratings for the Oprah interview, so perhaps dramatic events appeal. I’ve been here decades and interest in the BRF in particular has definitely faded, though the Queen still garners respect.

I I think it’s the same in Britain, except perhaps for Jubilee holidays, just an all over fading into indifference towards most of them. And sorry, but I wouldn’t say Charles and Camilla are popular in either country. The aftermath of the Diana years still remains with many people, and most under-40s wouldn’t be able to name many members of the BRF, here in Australia anyway.

In our family in the Netherlands, we are all staunch royalist about & specially the Dutch royal family, most Dutch in those years are pro royalists, not today, much less now.
I live now in Australia (Melbourne), my main focus now is on the European & of course the Dutch royal family history, I read a lot of royal biography books from around the world, yes, including Hawaii, my private collection of royal books in my library past easily the 300. My references are from my own collections, not through public media.

A lady asked me about Camilla's title of Queen. I explained the difference between Queen Regnant and Queen Consort. I mentioned that Camilla was a Queen Consort.
The lady inquired if a new rose would be named after Queen Elizabeth II?

Queen Consort title

A lady asked me about Camilla's title of Queen. I explained the difference between Queen Regnant and Queen Consort. I mentioned that Camilla was a Queen Consort.
The lady inquired if a new rose would be named after Queen Elizabeth II?

You are right, Camilla is queen Consort and not queen, some members have no idea of the historical royal protocols of different royal houses of England & Europe.

What do your family think about your strong interest in Royal families? Please share, as mine think I am nutty, as do my couleages, they couldn't understand what was so exciting about Camilla wearing a Durbar Tiara? Go explain...Seriously, how do you cope with questions, even jeering and in general?

My interests in the Royal Families have been pretty apparent, especially to my mother. As I got older, the easier it was for me to better respond to the usual "why" questions I am asked by either a relative or a friend. Before, saying "I just like them" was easier and I'd like to consider myself pretty lucky since they never really pressed me on it.

I think they simply , accepted my thoughts towards the Royal families.

A lady who is a restaurant manager is named Daisy.
I told Daisy that Queen Margrethe II of Denmark is nicknamed Daisy. Daisy liked that fact.
Daisy also liked how I explained that Denmark was getting a new sovereign King Frederik X.

What does your family think about your strong interest in Royal families?

They honestly don't care. I don't talk to them about my interest in the subject because it doesn't interest them, and frankly, I don't want to bore them. So, I stick to talking about it here, with all of you wonderful people.

I keep my interests in royalty very much to myself, because everyone in my friends and family circle disapproves or dislikes of the concept of royalty.

Even with my husband, I have to downplay why I like reading about the subject, and tell him it's just about the history. I can't really watch any coverage of royal events unless he is out of the house.

I would honestly love it if he said 'oh, cool, let's make tea and sandwiches watch the coronation together', but I know that's never going to happen.

It is a lonely interest for me, which is why it's nice to have this forum ?

Most people I know don't care, I am a women so I sometimes find female friends interested eg in royal weddings, see the dress etc.
My husband doesnt care but we spent many years in UK therefore he did watch The Crown with me, since it felt familiar.
I don't know any man who's interested, only women if at all. I don't know anyone who strongly disapproves either.
In Germany, the older generation adores 'our' Queen Silvia, therefore we have a lot of pink press magazines covering the royals with most absurd stories, especially Sweden, UK, Monaco.

Royal fan absolutely

In Australia I’ve found that people in general here are indifferent to the monarchy/BRF, though there were high ratings for the Oprah interview, so perhaps dramatic events appeal. I’ve been here decades and interest in the BRF in particular has definitely faded, though the Queen still garners respect.

I I think it’s the same in Britain, except perhaps for Jubilee holidays, just an all over fading into indifference towards most of them. And sorry, but I wouldn’t say Charles and Camilla are popular in either country. The aftermath of the Diana years still remains with many people, and most under-40s wouldn’t be able to name many members of the BRF, here in Australia anyway.

I live in Melbourne, and I love every bit of all royal history. my Favorite is of course the European royals past & present. Every day Iam reading, looking and searching for royal news and film clips and of course my own private royal library of more than 600 books, so never a dull moment in my life.

I keep my interests in royalty very much to myself, because everyone in my friends and family circle disapproves or dislikes of the concept of royalty.

Even with my husband, I have to downplay why I like reading about the subject, and tell him it's just about the history. I can't really watch any coverage of royal events unless he is out of the house.

I would honestly love it if he said 'oh, cool, let's make tea and sandwiches watch the coronation together', but I know that's never going to happen.

It is a lonely interest for me, which is why it's nice to have this forum ?

Oh I wish I had seen this post earlier you could have been at my house, we had afternoon tea, and I knitted little crowns for my guests.

Just to add I have a spare room so you are welcome to stay over, if you can find the Wallace Monument and Stirling Castle you are in.
The next royal occasion you are with me.

Just to add I have a spare room so you are welcome to stay over, if you can find the Wallace Monument and Stirling Castle you are in.
The next royal occasion you are with me.

You're very kind. I'm actually not far from you at all - I usually live near Killearn, which is only a short skip away.

I say 'usually', because although I 'live' in Scotland, I'm working in Canada right now. That would be a bit more of a commute ?

You're very kind. I'm actually not far from you at all - I usually live near Killearn, which is only a short skip away.

I say 'usually', because although I 'live' in Scotland, I'm working in Canada right now. That would be a bit more of a commute ?

Wouldn't it just, much easier when it is Killearn.

Back
Top Bottom