Pronunciation of Royal Names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Danielane said:
The pronounciation is not ON-Ree but I'm unable to explain which she is.
Of course not as you would say that in english, but On-Ree with a nasal on the N:D

juliamontague said:
Of course not as you would say that in english, but On-Ree with a nasal on the N:D

Yes, but the "o" is not correct.

Danielane said:
I would say "LéTicia"...

To listen Letizia's name being pronounced, click on the following link:

http://actualidad.terra.es/buscador/videos.cfm?pkcadena=Letizia

Choose the video:

18/10/2005
[100%] príncipes de Asturias abandonan la clínica Ruber tras el ingreso de doña Letizia con contracciones

Then this screen will appear:

Elige un formato (choose the format)
Windows Media or Real Player

Selecciona tipo de conexión (Select your conection type)
Modem (240x180) or ADSL (400X300)

and click in "ver vídeo"

Letizia's name is pronounced several times in this video, as it is about the false alarm that made her and Felipe to go to the hospital.

moosey60 said:
I'm pretty sure Eugenie is pronounced Ew-Janie.

I thought I heard Fergie say it like this- U-ja-Ni (the a is a little long), but I'm probably way off. :D

Lady Jennifer said:
I thought I heard Fergie say it like this- U-ja-Ni (the a is a little long), but I'm probably way off. :D

That's how I thought Fergie said it too. I always called her U-genie, until I heard Fergie say it like U-ja-nee

Maybe Dutch speakers can help me with this: how is Orange-Nassau pronounced?

Is the Orange part pronounced the same as orange(the fruit), and Nassau like the city in the Bahamas?
The Bahamas Nassau is pronounced Nass-awe like "awe" in 'you are in "awe" of someone'.

Re:

I've always said Orange as in the fruit and Nassau as Nass-ow (as in the sound one makes when jabbed with a pin)

BeatrixFan said:
I've always said Orange as in the fruit and Nassau as Nass-ow (as in the sound one makes when jabbed with a pin)

You're probably right, I'm terribly bad with pronouncing foreign words. Everyone hates it whaen I speak in German!! It's like I'm killing the words!!

Layla1971 said:

Is the Orange part pronounced the same as orange(the fruit), and Nassau like the city in the Bahamas?
The Bahamas Nassau is pronounced Nass-awe like "awe" in 'you are in "awe" of someone'.

Well, in Dutch it is OranJe-Nassau, with a 'j' instead of a 'g'. So it's surely not pronounced like the english word 'orange'. Hmmm.
I'll try to explain it.
It's Ow-ra-nj-u - Nass-awe.
The nj part is pronounced as the first two consonants in the Russian word for no, 'njet'.
Hope this helps.

*Maxie, for all your questions concerning Dutch pronunciation*

Maxie said:
Well, in Dutch it is OranJe-Nassau, with a 'j' instead of a 'g'. So it's surely not pronounced like the english word 'orange'. Hmmm.
I'll try to explain it.
It's Ow-ra-nj-u - Nass-awe.
The nj part is pronounced as the first two consonants in the Russian word for no, 'njet'.
Hope this helps.

*Maxie, for all your questions concerning Dutch pronunciation*

Well, my father taught me some Russian, so you're comparing the 'nj' sound to Russian makes it easier.
I think it would be - Ow-ra-ny-u Nass-awe in english.

And thanks so much Maxie for helping us out all the time! We appreciate it very much!:D

Layla1971 said:
Well, my father taught me some Russian, so you're comparing the 'nj' sound to Russian makes it easier.
I think it would be - Ow-ra-ny-u Nass-awe in english.

And thanks so much Maxie for helping us out all the time! We appreciate it very much!:D

You're welcome. I love doing it! :)

Layla1971 said:

Orange is already translated into english, in dutch it's oranie, or something like that.

Aimee is pronounced like "M-A" in English. I am still trying to get her last name, though! Is it like "sir hen" with a very hard "h" in English?

Emily said:
Aimee is pronounced like "M-A" in English. I am still trying to get her last name, though! Is it like "sir hen" with a very hard "h" in English?

According to all of the help we've been given Aimée's last name is pronounced Sur-hn-y-en with emphasis on the 'y'. Although her first name is another problem for me entirely!

Just another question! After all the attention that I've given to Aimée's name, I was wondering how to pronounce "Floris", and I'm guessing it isn't pronounced at all like it's spelled!

Layla1971 said:
Just another question! After all the attention that I've given to Aimée's name, I was wondering how to pronounce "Floris", and I'm guessing it isn't pronounced at all like it's spelled!

Floris with a short i

Flo is like Flow without the w and ris is like risk without the k;)

does anybody know how the name IMAN is pronounced?
is it IMAN or AY-MEN?
is the I like the I in sEE and the A like the A in the word GUN?!

Emilia said:
Floris with a short i

Flo is like Flow without the w and ris is like risk without the k;)

Thanks very much Emilia, I can at least pronounce some names now!

How do you pronounce Queen Sonja's name?? :confused:

I dont like the way the media here in Australia calls Her Majesty the Queen Margrethe II, Queen Margaret.

I explained to my mother that if one pronounces it like Mar- great- ta then thats pretty close, if not how it is pronounced.

I am lucky enough to pick up languages easily so for me it is'nt difficult to pronounce (best thing about living in such a multi-cultural society).

"MII"

Last edited:
I heard a Danish person speaking, and I'm sure I heard Queen Margrethe II pronounced 'Mar-ge-ray-tah', but I don't understand very much Danish.

Layla1971 said:
I heard a Danish person speaking, and I'm sure I heard Queen Margrethe II pronounced 'Mar-ge-ray-tah', but I don't understand very much Danish.

Indeed Layla, that could very well be it.

I used a more simplified way as my mother does'nt know any other language apart from English (her mother language) & french. I wanted to make it as easy as possible. When I say it quick it comes out like I have written but when I say it slow it comes out like you have written.

Like I said, either close or exact. At least we are'nt calling her Margaret.lol.

"MII"

Margrethe II said:
Indeed Layla, that could very well be it.

I used a more simplified way as my mother does'nt know any other language apart from English (her mother language) & french. I wanted to make it as easy as possible. When I say it quick it comes out like I have written but when I say it slow it comes out like you have written.

Like I said, either close or exact. At least we are'nt calling her Margaret.lol.

"MII"

I didn't mean to critisize you at all, and you're right, at least we've been saying it more accurately than most!:)

Layla1971 said:
I cant find a word that explains how Margrethes name is pronounced but try something like this: Mah (Like the english Ma´)-grey-the

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom