Personal Royal Experiences

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yvr girl

Nobility
I'm curious, who's met royalty. I was a big Diana fan. My family happened to run into our local member of the legislative assembly prior to Expo 86 in Vancouver. The Princess and Princess of Wales were going to be there. I told him that I was planning a trip to the Expo and that I hoped to see the royal couple.

To my surprise I received an invitation to the opening ceremonies and a royal banquet as well. It turns out, that my MLA was the host of the banquet, and that I had a very good seat. My table was right next to Diana's.

It was interesting to see the difference in her from when the press was in the room, and when they were not. When the Wales first arrived, there was a wall of photographers, mostly aimed at her. They were there for the anthems, grace etc., and then kicked out until the speaches. When they were there, Diana kept her head down. After they left, she was very animated.

The day of this banquet, was the day that Diana fainted. During the speaches, I had an interesting non-verbal exchange with her. The podium was right beside me. I could see Prince Charles notes, I was so close. Diana was about 5 feet away from me, and we were facing each other. During PC's speach he made, what I thought at the time, was a teasing remark. Diana looked a little wounded. I gave her a sympathetic smile, and she gave me a small smile in return. It was really a small moment of connection.

One thing that surpised me, is that Diana ate a plate and a half of fancy cookies, all by herself in public. Initially, there was one plate per table. Everyone at her table took one, including her. She than proceeded to eat all the extras. Then she ordered another plate, and ate it all by herself.

Other impressions. She was far prettier in person and unbelievably slim. But she had a huge head. It looked to large for her body.

I saw Diana twice when I was traveling in London.

The first time was in Feb. 1989 and she attended a luncheon at a hotel. There was a small crowd of fans including me. She didn't come over to us.

The next time was in March 1993. Again I was in a crowd of fans outside the Queen Elizabeth Conference Center, across the street from Westminster Abbey. It was a pretty large crowd, maybe 200 people. That day she gave a speech for Turning Point. Again I was disappointed - despite people having flowers for her and calling her name, she did not come up to the crowd, and came and left in a hurry. I remember thinking, where is going to that she can't spend a few minutes with us?

So my encounters were thrilling ("I'm finally seeing her!") but also a little disappointing....a lot of waiting for some distant pictures. She was definitely super-slim.

Oh,i think that i can meet Her Majesty The Queen of England this year.Because Vietnamese President had invited Her Majesty to visit Viet Nam and Her Majesty had agreed.I think that she will visit Viet Nam this year or next year.

I´ve seen the entire swedish royal family and I´ve talked to Victoria and met her "upclose".

Originally posted by Yennie@Jun 19th, 2004 - 8:59 pm
I´ve seen the entire swedish royal family and I´ve talked to Victoria and met her "upclose".
About what?

My father flew with HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh for two weeks when they came to Canada for the Jubilee. He also has flown with the Prince of Wales.

As for me, no.

I've seen the Swedish Royal Family together at some public occasions in Stockholm (birthdays, state visits), but have also had brief "encounters" with:

Queen Silvia - I had a cool encounter with her a few years ago at the Swedish department store NK (Nordiska Kompaniet) in Stockholm. It was around Christmas time, and I had just finnished my purchases and was ready to leave, when I saw her opposite me - walking in. Unfortunately I couldn't see what she was buying, cause I was finnished and was leaving. But she looked good, and had this warm glow around her.

Princess Madeleine - I've seen her in the city a few times, walking the streets with and without shopping bags. :D

Prince Carl Philip - I've seen him also in the city, two times I think.

Yennie said:
I´ve seen the entire swedish royal family and I´ve talked to Victoria and met her "upclose"
Please Yennie, tell! What did you talk about, how was she etc?!....

Please Yennie, tell! What did you talk about, how was she etc?!....
haha, it was nothing sensational at all. It was at Solliden and I said something like happy birthday, hope you´re having great day. And she said Thank you, I have...
She was, as always, very friendly and nice. She had a smile and a few words for everyone that was there and I must say I agree with those who says that we couldn´t have a better person as crownprincess

GrandDuchess, what a luck that you have seen both Silvia, Madeleine and Carl Philip!
I´ve never seen any of the royals in "private"...
Just heard some stories from a friend of mine who knows Caroline Kreuger and has been out shopping with Caroline and Victoria
*yennie is not jelaous, not at a-l-l* :)

GrandDuchess said:
I've seen the Swedish Royal Family together at some public occasions in Stockholm (birthdays, state visits), but have also had brief "encounters" with:

Queen Silvia - I had a cool encounter with her a few years ago at the Swedish department store NK (Nordiska Kompaniet) in Stockholm. It was around Christmas time, and I had just finnished my purchases and was ready to leave, when I saw her opposite me - walking in. Unfortunately I couldn't see what she was buying, cause I was finnished and was leaving. But she looked good, and had this warm glow around her.

Princess Madeleine - I've seen her in the city a few times, walking the streets with and without shopping bags. :D

Prince Carl Philip - I've seen him also in the city, two times I think.

That is so cool. Were the any of them all by themselves or did they have bodyguards? In Canada, you would never see someone so important shopping or walking down the street. But i guess Sweden is much smaller and has a much more open society.

Last edited:
theprincess said:
That is so cool. Were the any of them all by themselves or did they have bodyguards? In Canada, you would need see someone so important shopping or walking down the street. But i guess Sweden is much smaller and has a much more open society.
Queen Silvia had Säpo (Swedish Security Police) guards with her that time in NK. Prince Carl Philip has not had any guards with him those times that I've seen him, neither has Princess Madeleine.

The King, Queen and Crown Princess have always been obligated to have Säpo guards. As things are now, Princess Madeleine also has to have Säpo guards with her. Prince Carl Philip I think, only have them at times when it's needed.

Royalty encounters

I wanted to know if anyone here has had close encounters with royals or sighting of them that they want to share ....

thanks

Queens said:
I wanted to know if anyone here has had close encounters with royals or sighting of them that they want to share ....

thanks
I have been so lucky to meet CP Frederik and Queen Margrethe of Denmark when i was a bit younger.
CP Frederik is a very charming man to talk with and he and his mother are very down to earth to talk with. Thats why i like them so mutch :) :) :) :)

I met and interviewed Queen Noor of Jordan when she was here around this time last year for a speaker series on the lives of women (it was an extended part of her book tour), and I met and interviewed Prince Joachim of Denmark in the fall of 2004 when he came to Toronto to open an an art exhibition of Danish artists and works, SUPERDANISH.

I met and shook hands with Prince Felipe of Spain in Oct of 2000 in New Mexico.

I met Prince Charles at Prince's trust in Nov.2002 where he is president of Prince's trust i think so!

I told my mom i wanted met Prince Charles one days and he meet crowds across they next other one i going meet that Prince of Wales but he nice man and my mom said he bring Prince William? i told her NO! only Prince Charles who is president for Prince's trust! but mom said OH!

next day my mom e-mail to Prince Charles thanks for meet "my daughter to Prince of Wales at Prince's trust" but im wishes i would become Crown Princess one day my mom says that!

I told my mom i would come to England again for my next vacation and i would meet Prince Charles again at polo but my mom said OKAY! and i would meet Prince William when i come visit England I told my mom for promise! but i never meet any member of Royals!

Sara Boyce

I saw Queen Sonja last summer. She was opening an international music festival in my home town. I was in the audiense, and I saw her go by and she seemed so much shorter than I had imagined! She gave a very touching opening speach, because there had been a murder of a young woman a month before. She said something like; Even if the town have been struck by tragedy, one can still find joy in the music (I don't remember her actual words)

I've met a number of royals because of where I work. I remember meeting Diana, Princess of Wales in 1997, she had come to South Africa and her assistants wanted to have a photo call for her at the hospital. I remember it created a fuss because of the security requirements. At that time the matron of the ward was really not happy about the amount of celebrities that were popping in for photo ops. But despite this warning, I was excited by the visit, as were most of the staff and children in the hospital. Diana arrived late, about an hour or more. She was in a mood, you could see it. She briefly spoke to the children and than asked who was critically ill, as she wanted to be seen near him in the photo. The press took the photo and Diana and her entourage were gone. The visit made a lasting impression on me. It is possible that there were other things on her mind, but I only saw her using sick children as a PR stunt and that hurt.
I met Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip together, my grandmother wanted to go see the couple, actually she wanted to go Britannia as when it was last in South Africa in the 1940's she was ill and couldn't go. My Gran even put on all her medals to attract the Queen to her and it worked the trick :) The Queen wanted to know what she did during the war. She also drove trucks and the Queen joked with her that their contribution was very valuable to the war effort. My gran than showed her the medal she had received from George VI and the Queen Mother, and I think the Queen was genuinely interested. She even noted that the medal had been changed later. We then told her that we had recently visited Jan Smuts House and the Queen laughed noting that the royal family had spend a wonderful time there. The Duke of Edinburgh at this time was collecting flowers from the gathered people, until he remarked that the florists should be empty.
I went to see Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex at the last moment. There was relatively nobody there, besides the security. It was before Edward was married. Edward shook hands with those of us there, took a few gifts. But he came across was very unhappy and terribly shy. Like he was going through the motions, without anything else to it - His mind seemed far away. While he was inside the building, I spoke to an elderly black man that had been standing near me. I was anxious to move him closer to the security barrier as he was eager to speak to Edward. I asked him why as I doubt he even knew who Edward was. I was greatly shocked when he told me that he was there to tell Prince Edward that he had met King George VI and had been greatly in awe of him. He wanted to met the man's grandson as he wanted to tell how much his grandfather had meant to him and that Edward must always remember that he is his mother's son and that great blood runs in his veins. I don't know if Edward got the message - I had to go as I had to catch a bus.

Claire said:
I've met a number of royals because of where I work. I remember meeting Diana, Princess of Wales in 1997, she had come to South Africa and her assistants wanted to have a photo call for her at the hospital. I remember it created a fuss because of the security requirements. At that time the matron of the ward was really not happy about the amount of celebrities that were popping in for photo ops. But despite this warning, I was excited by the visit, as were most of the staff and children in the hospital. Diana arrived late, about an hour or more. She was in a mood, you could see it. She briefly spoke to the children and than asked who was critically ill, as she wanted to be seen near him in the photo. The press took the photo and Diana and her entourage were gone. The visit made a lasting impression on me. It is possible that there were other things on her mind, but I only saw her using sick children as a PR stunt and that hurt.
I met Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip together, my grandmother wanted to go see the couple, actually she wanted to go Britannia as when it was last in South Africa in the 1940's she was ill and couldn't go. My Gran even put on all her medals to attract the Queen to her and it worked the trick :) The Queen wanted to know what she did during the war. She also drove trucks and the Queen joked with her that their contribution was very valuable to the war effort. My gran than showed her the medal she had received from George VI and the Queen Mother, and I think the Queen was genuinely interested. She even noted that the medal had been changed later. We then told her that we had recently visited Jan Smuts House and the Queen laughed noting that the royal family had spend a wonderful time there. The Duke of Edinburgh at this time was collecting flowers from the gathered people, until he remarked that the florists should be empty.
I went to see Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex at the last moment. There was relatively nobody there, besides the security. It was before Edward was married. Edward shook hands with those of us there, took a few gifts. But he came across was very unhappy and terribly shy. Like he was going through the motions, without anything else to it - His mind seemed far away. While he was inside the building, I spoke to an elderly black man that had been standing near me. I was anxious to move him closer to the security barrier as he was eager to speak to Edward. I asked him why as I doubt he even knew who Edward was. I was greatly shocked when he told me that he was there to tell Prince Edward that he had met King George VI and had been greatly in awe of him. He wanted to met the man's grandson as he wanted to tell how much his grandfather had meant to him and that Edward must always remember that he is his mother's son and that great blood runs in his veins. I don't know if Edward got the message - I had to go as I had to catch a bus.

Thank you for sharing these GREAT first-hand stories, Claire.

I have met Princess Mathilde and King Albert and I have seen Princes Letizia before her wedding , and Princess Christina with her oldest son , when she was on holiday

selrahc4 said:
Thank you for sharing these GREAT first-hand stories, Claire.

One great story indeed - many thanks, Claire. :)

Claire said:

nice story,Claire

i never know that Princess Diana got in mood before she died when she was in Angola.

I did met Prince of Wales at Prince's trust in Nov.2002 but he nice man and friendly man i shake him and he hurried for his show and meet people who is play at show but he is president at Prince's trust.

I never meet his family before and include HM Queen also but i would meet more Royals also! but you very lucky!

I told my mom about i will go England again for Princess Diana's childhood and i told my mom about if i would watch Prince Charles's polo if my mom said can allow by public or private? if you have polo policy for guests of visits but my mom wanted know.

but i never met Princess Diana before! but she very beautiful woman! and also im asking about Balmoral but i will go Scotland also if have Balmoral policy when Royal Family empty for public engagement or whatever have websites of Balmoral Castle policy

let me know

Sara Boyce

I've seen King Mohamed VI of Morocco back in december 2000 in Casablanca couple of times during ramadan ( Holy Month) , before the Iftar ( breaking the fasting) he used to go to the beach ( La corniche) , he was driving his own car and was followed by bodyguards in an other car ...he was saying hi by waiving his hand ...it was really cool...

Did anyone that met a royal get a picture? When I met prince felipe i didn't and i have regetted it since :( So the moral of this story always carry a camera and remember how to use it when you do meet that royal of your dreams. :)

A taste of royalty...

I have always wondered this... Has anyone seen a glimpse of any royal before? If so how did you feel and where were you. If not, then if you could meet one royal in all of history who would it be and why? Also if any royal asked for your hand in marriage would you say yes and why or why not?

Last edited:
We're lucky in Canada to have so many visits from our Royal Family that I've met a few of them. There hasn't been a foreign monarch to Canada since King Harald and Queen Sonja visited in 2001 (2000?). The royals I have met are:

Queen Elizabeth II (Twice -- once during a walkabout in June 1997 and during the Festival of Ontario in October 2002. There weren't any barriers at this last event as was an invitational so it was especially exciting being so close to HM!)

The Princess Royal (at a reception in her honour given by the Monarchist League of Canada in June 2004. I had seen her but not met her a few months previously during her visit to Ottawa)

The Duke of York (at a reception for youth members of the Monarchist League and the opening of the Golden Jubilee rose garden at the Ontario Legislature)

The Earl and Countess of Wessex (after a Duke of Edinburgh's Award ceremony in Scarborough, ON. They were both very nice as there was a VERY small crowd. I hope to meet them again in June)

Prince Michael of Kent (at the Monarchist League's Golden Jubilee banquet in Toronto).

I have also seen the Duke of Edinburgh (twice), the Duke of Kent, and Queen Noor.

Alexandria said:
I met and interviewed Queen Noor of Jordan when she was here around this time last year for a speaker series on the lives of women (it was an extended part of her book tour), and I met and interviewed Prince Joachim of Denmark in the fall of 2004 when he came to Toronto to open an an art exhibition of Danish artists and works, SUPERDANISH.

Queen Noor!!! Ah, I love her, pleae give more details

-Eliza

Have you ever met a Royal family member?

Personally I have never been lucky enough to meet a royal. :( It just seems they visit at all the wrong times for me! (example: during my exam week there is a visit to a nearby memorial) :eek:

But have any of you been *lucky enough* to meet a member of a royal family? Or even a member of the British royal family? If so, who was it?!
C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CAbdullah%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.gif

What was your experience like?
Which function were you at...?

Back
Top Bottom