Opposition to Royal Marriages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XeniaCasaraghi

Heir Apparent
City
Texas
Country
United States
Royals Who Married Against Their Parents' Wishes

Has anybody ever thought about the royals who married against their parents wishes and it turned out their parents were quite right. The 2 who always come to mind is Nicholas II of Russia and the Emperor who insisted on marrying Sissi.

Caroline de Monaco & Philippe Junot

Alfonso XIII of Spain and Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg.

I've read that Frances Shand-Kydd tried to discourage Diana from marrying Charles.

I think in this case it was Ena who should ahve listened to her uncle. Edward VII was set against the mnarriage, probably because he knew the kind of an that Alfonso was.

king Willem III married Sophia of Wurttemburg and that marriage was NOT a success. His mother had been against it from a start, but IMO that probably didn't help the marriage either...

So either he should have listened to mother or moved far far away from her :)

This prince did not turn out to be a bargain. To me it shows that mommy and daddy did not research very deeply into the prince, they were just in love with his title.

In the old days, it was all about titles or trying to better one's self or forming alliances when it came to royal marriages. No one really cared if the couple got along or even liked each other. I imagine there was some who wished they hadn't listened to Mommy or Daddy.

Tsar Nicholas II, definitely.
However, there are also several prime examples of royals who most certainly shouldn't have listened to their parents, King Frederik VII and Princess Vilhelmine Marie of Denmark for instance.

Last edited:
Lady Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria. She married the Marquess of Lorne (later Duke of Argyll) against the wishes of her mother. They drifted apart eventually, although this may have been because they were unable to have children.

At the moment probably AD Karlof Austria. Half the family stayed away from his wedding to Franscesca Thyssen. And since the couple sadly seperated they gave this self righteous side of the family more reasons to feel self righteous.

I've read that Frances Shand-Kydd tried to discourage Diana from marrying Charles.
I thought it was that Frances didn't think it was a spectacular idea, but kept it to herself and didn't tell Diana? I thought I read that somewhere, but I could be wrong!
Although now that I think of it, there is something in The Diana Chronicles by Tina Brown. Frances wanted to know whether she loved Charles or loved 'what he is', Diana retorted: "What's the difference?".
How reliable that is, I don't know. But I think that book is a tad gossipy.

Anyone mind providing a little more info on this couple? I've never heard of them.

He was the Grandfather of the current King of Spain, Juan Carlos, and she was the granddaughter of Queen Victoria through her youngest Princess Beatrice.
Amongst other things he was a mummys boy, weak willed and not very stable mentally. King Edward VII, Princess Enas uncle was against the marriage. I'm pretty sure that a worldy man such as he would have known what sort of man Alfonso was. I also think he disapproved of the volatie Spanish court and society and was concerned for Enas safety. Unfortunately Ena also brought her own problems, being considered cold and withdrawn by the Spanish people and bringing with her haemophilia.
There is an interesting story of their wedding day when a terrorist threw a bomb at the royal procession, killing several people and wounding others. While all the Spanish royal women were screaming and fainting and carrying on, Ena kept her cool and refused to allow herself to be incapicated by what was going on. For this she was disliked by the people for not showing enough emotion. The marriage fell apart after the revolution

Lady Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria. She married the Marquess of Lorne (later Duke of Argyll) against the wishes of her mother. They drifted apart eventually, although this may have been because they were unable to have children.

Queen Victoria was against all of her daughters' marriages apart from the Princess Royal's marriage to the future Emperor Frederick. PRINCESS Louise was always a bit of a rebel, but it seems made a success of being the Governor General of Canada's wife, until an accident incapacitated her. I believe the Duke was bisexual and that is why the marriage disintegrated. Sad

Definitely Caroline and Philip Junot

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

But Nicolas II truly and dearly loved Alix!
They were, contrary to the rest of the couples mentioned above, really happy marriage.

At the moment probably AD Karlof Austria. Half the family stayed away from his wedding to Franscesca Thyssen. And since the couple sadly seperated they gave this self righteous side of the family more reasons to feel self righteous.
And now we have Sofia Helqvist...welcome my Princess of the tattoos and piercings and the nude pix. Ick.

But Nicolas II truly and dearly loved Alix!
They were, contrary to the rest of the couples mentioned above, really happy marriage.

That's true, they were happy between themselves, but it is considered that Alix' influence on him and on the family's image was catastophic.

True, but we have no idea if things would have turned out better if Nicholas had married someone else. And things probably would have happened anyway, sooner or later.

I doubt it. Without WWI Imperial Russia may have struggled forward a bit longer, but the war just changed the whole dynamics. It is unlikely that with another wife the war would have been prevented or would have fared significantly better for Russia. Still, she didn't help, that is for sure.

Well who cares about the fall of a dynasty as long as your in loooove. :rollseyes:
Regarding Victoria I find it hard to take any objection she had to any of her children's marriages seriously; some of those kids probably just married to get away.

I think in this case it was Ena who should ahve listened to her uncle. Edward VII was set against the mnarriage, probably because he knew the kind of an that Alfonso was.

i think in this case also from Alfonso's side there were objections, as i understand it his mother was against the marriage

Bu then, there are probably also cases where the family *were* against but a marriage turned out fine (maybe that's another thread ;) )

i think in this case also from Alfonso's side there were objections, as i understand it his mother was against the marriage

Bu then, there are probably also cases where the family *were* against but a marriage turned out fine (maybe that's another thread ;) )

As I understand it, Queen Maria Christina wanted Alfonso to marry one of her Habsburg relatives rather than a Protestant princess which she considered to be non-dynastic.

It is quite ironic that, during the recent state banquet in honor of King Felipe VI, Queen Elizabeth II made a reference to Alfonso meeting Ena in the same ballroom at Buckingham Palace as an example of how "state visits can occasionally lead to great personal happiness", even though it is widely known that Ena's and Alfonso's marriage was not a happy one. That just illustrates why one should be skeptical (BrEng sceptical) about everything that is said in speeches like that.

Back
Top Bottom