Most Well-Run Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SpiffyBallerina said:
I think Queen Margrethe and Queen Beatrix run their houses the best. Both women are incredibly intelligent, professional, and still very warm and caring.

I definetely agree with you...

I would say that the best run Royal Houses are:

- Denmark: The Danish Royal House seems perfect. Everything is just so, and they have very little to no bad press.

- Spain: The Spanish Royal House is very charitable. They, like Denmark, have everything just so, so that it appears very well run.

- Luxembourg: The Luxembourg Grand Ducal House is very modern, has little to no bad press, and is very "free." They treated the news of the upcoming fatherhood of 19 year old Prince Louis with respect and a professionalism that most other Royal Houses probably could not get away with doing.

In Denmark, all the royal staff are "fired"*/given the option to retire when a new monarch takes over - is it like that in the other royal houses? Do you think that's a way to keep a monarchy well-run, by starting anew with the staff?

*And then rehired, if they want to be.

norwegianne said:
In Denmark, all the royal staff are "fired"*/given the option to retire when a new monarch takes over - is it like that in the other royal houses? Do you think that's a way to keep a monarchy well-run, by starting anew with the staff?

*And then rehired, if they want to be.

I never knew that, maybe thats not so good, when a new monarch takes over, they need to be get used to the routine of the household etc, not start a new one just as they start. I guess it stopes the stability and continuity of the daily household routine in the crucial adjustment time of the new monarch.
Then again, this is just one small aspect. Otherwise the DRF is the most well run.

Last edited:
Amy said:
I said England because despite these incidents the Queen and the rest of the family deal with them with dignity. A well run family to me doesn't mean they have to be scandal free, it's how these incidents are dealt with that make the family well run or not.

There is no such thing as an English royal family, they died out in 1603. The Windsors are the British royal family.

MONACO - ok they're not royal ...but
bravo11ow.gif

Last edited:
Iain said:
There is no such thing as an English royal family, they died out in 1603. The Windsors are the British royal family.
England has a royal family--the same family as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have. If you're so nitpicky--there is no British royal family as well, only the royal family of the United Kingdom.

Mapple said:
England has a royal family--the same family as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have. If you're so nitpicky--there is no British royal family as well, only the royal family of the United Kingdom.

It is not a case of nitpicking only of stating the facts. As you say, they are the royal family of Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England and it really makes people in the other three countries very angry when people insist on refering to them as "England's" royal family.

Iain said:

Sorry for the error, i didn't intend my post to be fact perfect but neither did i intend it to cause any anger and offence. I am well aware that there are other countries in Britain aside from England as my family has very deep rooted Scottish links.

SpiffyBallerina said:
How can people possibly say England? I know they can be your favorite family, but calling them well-run is generous (to say the absolute least).

I kinda agree with you, SpiffyBallerina. Both Diana and Sarah Ferguson claimed they got little to no training for their roles in the family.

I think all the families appeared to be well-run until the current generation starting marrying. Right now I'd say the best run family is run by Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands. At least she has a ready-made response if some members want out of the Royal household, just get married and don't ask the government to approve it. It keeps the Royal Household smaller and intact and the people involved can have a satisfactory life.

ysbel said:
I kinda agree with you, SpiffyBallerina. Both Diana and Sarah Ferguson claimed they got little to no training for their roles in the family.

I'm not sure what preparation was made for Sarah, although Diana could have taken her in hand, if Diana had not become so alienated from the royal family.

But Diana rejected some attempts made to prepare her. I know that at least one member of Charles' staff tried to give her reading material about the previous Queens of England, and Diana didn't want to be bothered with it.

What Diana and Sarah both forgot was that the bureaucracy exists because it works. Had the girls chosen to work with the professionals, they would have had more guidance (instead, they decided to re-invent the wheel and ran amok).

Part of what makes a "good" royal is commonsense. Your best friends aren't reporters, you don't have your toes sucked outdoors where photogs can snap away, you don't badmouth your in-laws to reporters or authors...

The British Royals seem to have a lot of loose cannons... Prince Harry, Marina Ogilvy, the Lascelles, Viscount Linley, Princess Michael, Edward and Sophie, and Andrew (at times), Princess Anne, Zarah Phillips... not a tightly-run ship at all! (Not to mention Prince Philip and his interesting sound bites.)

iowabelle said:
I'm not sure what preparation was made for Sarah, although Diana could have taken her in hand, if Diana had not become so alienated from the royal family.

But Diana rejected some attempts made to prepare her. I know that at least one member of Charles' staff tried to give her reading material about the previous Queens of England, and Diana didn't want to be bothered with it.

What Diana and Sarah both forgot was that the bureaucracy exists because it works. Had the girls chosen to work with the professionals, they would have had more guidance (instead, they decided to re-invent the wheel and ran amok).

Part of what makes a "good" royal is commonsense. Your best friends aren't reporters, you don't have your toes sucked outdoors where photogs can snap away, you don't badmouth your in-laws to reporters or authors...

The British Royals seem to have a lot of loose cannons... Prince Harry, Marina Ogilvy, the Lascelles, Viscount Linley, Princess Michael, Edward and Sophie, and Andrew (at times), Princess Anne, Zarah Phillips... not a tightly-run ship at all! (Not to mention Prince Philip and his interesting sound bites.)

LOL, iowabelle, I think you're right there. I didn't know about the aide giving her some reading material. What I was referring to was Diana's comment that they didn't know what to do with her (as far as what her role as Princess of Wales was) They were very good at telling her what not to do but not what to do.

I think Sarah said the only advice she got was from the Queen Mum not to wave so fast.

But you're right, some things are commonsense and looking at some of what came out of the Royal Household it looks like there's not enough of it going around.

Maybe Diana would have been better off, if "The Firm" had employed more of the carrot and less of the stick. (At least, it works if you want to manage me!)

But it must be hard to stop the alienation, once it starts. It's a pity that the situation got so out of control.

The most well-run families are:

1. Spain: scandal-free, hardworkers, family unit, no leaks to the press whatsoever, with ETA danger they just can't hire everyone:rolleyes:
2. Belgium: respect, work, tradition
3. Netherlands: beautiful family, too bad about the Bourbon-Parma saga:mad:

And to be honest the worst-run families are Monaco and UK, everything gets to the press, they need to learn how to hire people:( :rolleyes:

Other well run families are
Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

Denmark - they must have one of the best PRs working for them, they practically make everything look good.

Sweden - the biggest scandal they basically ever had? Madeleine's boobs. I think that red Nobel dress was the highlight of the year 2002.

Belgium - what could you complain about? No scandal and perfectly poised.

I think that the Three Queens (Elizabeth, Margrethe and Beatrix) run their families the best, the northern European Royals are also well run, as is Japan.

:) :) :)

Belgiums royal family is very interesting. Dont the children of the monarch serve as senators?

In Belgium all the children of the Monarch are senators by right.

Definitely the royal families of Denmark, Sweden, Norway and the Netherlands.

Worst run? The United Kingdom and Monaco, as much as I love the former.

The most well run families are scandinavian royal families, they are modern and traditional in same time,they care a lot for social matters and they are down to earth.
The worst run family is Monaco - something is mising there.

I think that both Queen Margrethe and King Carl Gustaf run their royal houses very well. The Spaniards are really, really professional, too.

As for the Belgians, they tend to be fairly scandal-free, but lately there has been some press over Crown Prince Phillipe making too many political statements, to the point the government is even thinking of changing the constitution to limit the little bit of power the king has left...that doesn't seem too professional to me. Also, some members of the Belgian family, especially the Queen, don't speak Flemish/Dutch too well and I think that reflects kind of poorly on them and the way their family is "run."

I would have to say Norway and Sweden also. The families are both small, close, and supportive of one another. Their people seem to embrace them.

I should also include Liechtenstein especially since it is an absolute principality and the head of state seems to be doing a good job. At least the people of that country thinks so.

Freedom said:
Which royal family is the most well-run? By that I mean: which family handles personal matters best with the media, which family appears to have the most grounded values, which family is most embraced by its country's people, which family seems to have the most control over leading their lives as they want, etc...
The most well run royal family is the British Royal Family,the Danish Royal Family and the Swedish Royal Family.

Definitely the scandinavian Royal families, and the Danish Royal family on top.

The Swedish Royal Family looks to me from afar as the best run. The Royal siblings Victoria, Carl-Phillip and Madelaine are dedicated and well organised.
The Spanish Royal Family members seem to be focussed on a common mission that is keeping it running like a well-oiled machine.
The Danish Royal Family is very popular in their country so they seem to have a thing or two up their sleeve.
Maybe in these countries the Press too are not so intrusive as in Britain, therefore the Royals are not under constant pressure. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom