Most Popular Prince / Princess?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In history for sure its Prince Albert and it helps he along with Victoria have a museum named after them and people love their love story.

I also like Prince Albert. He was very involved with the Great Exhibition of 1851.

The Duchess of Cambridge would be the current most popular Princess in the UK

And... the Duchess of Sussex would be the most popular princess in the USA. They're like Pinky and the Brain and taking over the world!! :D

Kidding of course here. My evil twin comes out when I'm on my first cup of coffee. :lol:

Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden is regularly topping polls over most respected, admired, popular Swedes and have been so since the early 2000s when she started to replace her mother The Queen. She's also most often at the top of lists over who Swedes would like to have coffee or dinner with as are her parents (although not as often) which I feel is a very good indicator that Swedes not only respect and admire her but also genuinely like her.
In last year's Yougov's international poll she found herself replaced as Sweden's most admired woman by climate activist Greta Thunberg and would now, if we add the lists of most admired man and woman together, be the third most popular person in Sweden after Barack Obama (who's strange popularity here is a good example of what some glossy coverage can do for you) and the previously mentioned Greta. If we remove foreigners from the list she'd be, by far, the second most popular Swede.
As a side note it's worth noting that both her parents are in the same Top 10 in spite of the critical coverage they in general get by the media and the sinking approval rates for the monarchy in general which would prove the point of our fellow forum member Duc et Pair that personal popularity of the royals doesn't automatically mean support for the monarchy.

The 2 princesses that you think of as the best loved -both died tragically....Quite a few well loved princesses had tragic lives and died young or tragically...like Astrid of Belgium, or Elisabeth of Austria.

Don’t forget Princess Mafalda of Savoy-Hesse! She was very popular. She died tragically and she was young.

Today Mafalda of Savoy is the most popular italian princess and the most beloved italian princess.

Today I think the most popular princesses in the world are Catherine Middleton The Duchess of Cambridge and Meghan Markle the Duchess of Sussex.
No one is popular like them.
Also in my country, both are very popular, both are always present in cover magazine and in television programs.
Both eclipse all the others princesses and noblewoman of the world.
Today no one can rivals to Kate and Meghan.

Today I think the most popular princesses in the world are Catherine Middleton The Duchess of Cambridge and Meghan Markle the Duchess of Sussex.
No one is popular like them.
Also in my country, both are very popular, both are always present in cover magazine and in television programs.
Both eclipse all the others princesses and noblewoman of the world.
Today no one can rivals to Kate and Meghan.

Meghan is surely one of most famous princesses not any doubts about that. But how popular she is actually globally among people who are intrested or support monarchy? Being famous and on magazines not tell about popularity. There is some controversy exist with Sussexes and not sure how Oprah's interview will change that.

Catherine in other hand might be truly popular.

Kate is popular for the same reason. Because she is famous.

People like talking about her clothes. And she makes newspaper covers.

If popularity is based on notoriety, then both of them are up there as current famous princesses. Being the young royals of the most famous royal family in the English speaking world kind of makes that a given.

When Charlotte is old enough to be the new icon, attention will move on from Kate to her daughter. When your popularity in the media and public is mainly based on how pretty you look and your smile when you wave at people, you easily get transplanted by the next generation.

Her good work will continue. But like Anne, and the other royal women who do great work, the 'royal of the moment' title will pass to someone younger.

To continue to hold press attention when someone younger and more stylish comes along (like the next generation) you have to have a certain wow that keeps attention. Like Grace.

I'd hardly say Kate has done anyting to make her "notorious". I think she is popular for the right reasons... she looks nice, has nice kids, dresses well, and has begun to work steaidly for the RF...

Kate is popular for the same reason. Because she is famous.

People like talking about her clothes. And she makes newspaper covers.

If popularity is based on notoriety, then both of them are up there as current famous princesses. Being the young royals of the most famous royal family in the English speaking world kind of makes that a given.

When Charlotte is old enough to be the new icon, attention will move on from Kate to her daughter. When your popularity in the media and public is mainly based on how pretty you look and your smile when you wave at people, you easily get transplanted by the next generation.

Her good work will continue. But like Anne, and the other royal women who do great work, the 'royal of the moment' title will pass to someone younger.

To continue to hold press attention when someone younger and more stylish comes along (like the next generation) you have to have a certain wow that keeps attention. Like Grace.

This is it! This is natural unless you have that special spark that will keep it going from generations to generations like Grace and Diana. Both Kate and Meghan are currently the most popular/well known princesses and from the comment above Meghan is also known in African countries. I would know since my family is from West Africa.

How popular was Princess Caroline of Monaco?

Pre-Diana, I think she was the most popular princess after her mother. Post-Diana, we hardly hear about her and the Monegasque royals outside the royal forums.

Pre-Diana, I think she was the most popular princess after her mother. Post-Diana, we hardly hear about her and the Monegasque royals outside the royal forums.

Oh was she! I know Grace was the most popular and famous but never thought Caroline was the most followed/popular of her age but it makes sense. I think many forget before Diana put the royals on the map in terms of global popularity, Monaco were the most followed. It’s interesting nevertheless.

Oh was she! I know Grace was the most popular and famous but never thought Caroline was the most followed/popular of her age but it makes sense. I think many forget before Diana put the royals on the map in terms of global popularity, Monaco were the most followed. It’s interesting nevertheless.

I wouldn't say the your claim is necessarily true.:ermm: In the 1930's prior to Edward VIII's abdication the then York Princess: Elizabeth and Margaret Rose were actually very popular with the public outside of the UK. After their father ascended to the throne, the public still was very interested in their lives and fashion. People were looking for a bit of glamour in the post WWII world and royal families attracted global attention and coverage. This just didn't start in the 1980's.

Also remember that the Spanish royals have attracted a very large audience outside of Spain with media coverage in North, Central and South America.

About Monaco:

Princess Caroline was very popular in the 70s, 80s and 90s and appeared a lot in Portuguese and Spanish magazines during those decades (her clothes, her beauty, her children, the end of her first marriage, the death of her mother and the death of her husband Stefano Casiraghi). I would say that she was the princess most followed by the press, the second because Diana was the first.

Grace Kelly was also very popular and we still talk about her a lot today.

Charlotte Casiraghi has also peaked over the past two decades, but today we know little about her.

About Monaco:

Princess Caroline was very popular in the 70s, 80s and 90s and appeared a lot in Portuguese and Spanish magazines during those decades (her clothes, her beauty, her children, the end of her first marriage, the death of her mother and the death of her husband Stefano Casiraghi). I would say that she was the princess most followed by the press, the second because Diana was the first.

Charlotte Casiraghi has also peaked over the past two decades, but today we know little about her.
Caroline did a great job as First Lady of Monaco so it’s natural she was followed during that time since
She was front and center plus her style and intelligence!

About Charlotte I’ve read she was very popular and followed from birth to her teen years. Did they have hopes for her to be an ambassador of sorts of Monaco?

About Monaco:

In the 1970's the name of the Royal game in terms of paparazzi focus and media covers was Princess Caroline of Monaco. Period.

Her marriage to Junot was front page news in ALL the major papers. She was a staple for People Magazine covers.

I was a young girl in my tweens and teens and i remember it well. And until the coming of age of her own daughter Charlotte, I had NEVER seen a princess as beautiful as Caroline.:whistling:

Last edited:
In the 1970's the name of the Royal game in terms of paparazzi focus and media covers was Princess Caroline of Monaco. Period.

Her marriage to Junot was front page news in ALL the major papers. She was a staple for People Magazine covers.

I was a young girl in my tweens and teens and i remember it well. And until the coming of age of her own daughter Charlotte, I had NEVER seen a princess as beautiful as Caroline.:whistling:
During that time and the 80s of course was she known for anything else? Her charity work and patronage’s?

For the first half of the 1970's Caroline was basically a minor. She was only 13 years old when the decade began and was away at boarding school at St. Mary's Ascot, England.

In 1979 when she was 22 she was appointed to represent the Principality at the UN Year of the Child. She also founded Jeunes J'Ecoute...a suicide prevention hotline for teens and young adults.

After the death of her mother in 1982 when Caroline was 25 years old she assumed responsibility for many of Grace's patronages, most notably the Ballets de Monte Carlo, the Prince Pierre Awards and the Red Cross.

Her crowning achievement has, in my opinion, been AMADE..Amis Mondiale Association Des Enfants(loose translation) which she founded to support her lifelong interest in the rights and well being of children around the world.

For the first half of the 1970's Caroline was basically a minor. She was only 13 years old when the decade began and was away at boarding school at St. Mary's Ascot, England.

In 1979 when she was 22 she was appointed to represent the Principality at the UN Year of the Child. She also founded Jeunes J'Ecoute...a suicide prevention hotline for teens and young adults.

After the death of her mother in 1982 when Caroline was 25 years old she assumed responsibility for many of Grace's patronages, most notably the Ballets de Monte Carlo, the Prince Pierre Awards and the Red Cross.

Her crowning achievement has, in my opinion, been AMADE..Amis Mondiale Association Des Enfants(loose translation) which she founded to support her lifelong interest in the rights and well being of children around the world.
In terms of the role of a princess she has done an exceptional job! She along with Diana has influenced me with their humanitarian work! Also in terms of fashion I loved her European style esp during the 80s!

but the marriage was an awful mess.. Grace agreed to it but clealry under protest.. and IMO Caroline was in the glossy mags because there were no other princesses at the time...

There were indeed other princesses...the newlywed and young Silvia of Sweden...Marie Astrid of Luxembourg, Anne of Britain...too many French and Italian minor princesses to count.

Had they been as glamorous and gorgeous..had they sold as many magazine covers as Caroline, and especially had they been the daughter of a Hollywood legend...the Press would have been interested.

But up until Diana Spencer there is no one who could match young Caroline Grimaldi.

There were indeed other princesses...the newlywed and young Silvia of Sweden...Marie Astrid of Luxembourg, Anne of Britain...too many French and Italian minor princesses to count.

Had they been as glamorous and gorgeous..had they sold as many magazine covers as Caroline, and especially had they been the daughter of a Hollywood legend...the Press would have been interested.

But up until Diana Spencer there is no one who could match young Caroline Grimaldi.
There were No Frenc or Italian Princesses because neither country has a monarchy.. and I doubt if One person in a hundred knew the Swedish royals or Marie Astrid. Anne was tolerably well known but was never popular...
Caroline was striking looking.. (I wouldn't call her pretty) and she was the daughter of a former American Actress and so was known to the American world.. and she made a disastrous but "glamourous" first marriage.. Once Diana came along, Caroline was in second place..

There were No Frenc or Italian Princesses because neither country has a monarchy.. and I doubt if One person in a hundred knew the Swedish royals or Marie Astrid. Anne was tolerably well known but was never popular...
Caroline was striking looking.. (I wouldn't call her pretty) and she was the daughter of a former American Actress and so was known to the American world.. and she made a disastrous but "glamourous" first marriage.. Once Diana came along, Caroline was in second place..

I feel like even when Diana came onto the scene in the 80s Caroline was still massively popular since she had to take the role as First Lady of Monaco.

She was still reasonably popular as she seemed by the mid 80s to have settled down, taken on a role helping her father and she had a second marriage and was having her family...but by then Stephanie came along with a louche love life... and so did Albert...
and then Caro married Ernest of Hanover who cannot be said to add lustre to her....

Last edited:
She was still reasonably popular as she seemed by the mid 80s to have settled down, taken on a role helping her father and she had a second marriage and was having her family...but by then Stephanie came along with a louche love life... and so did Albert...
and then Caro married Ernest of Hanover who cannot be said to add lustre to her....
I said earlier with all the work Caroline did as the "face of Monaco" during the 80s, the respectability and class was gone by the 90s. She continued her mothers job as an ambassador of Monaco and it helped she was a very popular princess so the highlight was even bigger. Don't you think?

Caroline might have been 2nd to Diana in terms of her value to the paps and her ability to sell magazine covers...but it was a VERY close second indeed.

Diana dominated the English speaking periodicals like Royal Monthly, Hello, and People....but for Paris Match, OGGI, Gente and Jours de France, Caroline of Monaco was #1 with a bullet. I saved many of those magazines. Sometimes a month would go by where there was no other cover than Caroline or her sister Stephanie.

As far as Caroline's looks...beauty is subjective. But you are definitely in the minority in your opinion that young Princess Caroline was not considered one of the world's most beautiful women during her heydey.

In my opinion she has been surpassed only by her mother and later her daughter Charlotte.

I said earlier with all the work Caroline did as the "face of Monaco" during the 80s, the respectability and class was gone by the 90s. She continued her mothers job as an ambassador of Monaco and it helped she was a very popular princess so the highlight was even bigger. Don't you think?

i don't understand what you mean. She did an OK job.. and Monaco is very successful, in making money.. and attracting tourists.. but that probably has as more to do with Rainier's and Alberts business abilities...
Now Caro still does some royal work, and so does Charlene..

Caroline might have been 2nd to Diana in terms of her value to the paps and her ability to sell magazine covers...but it was a VERY close second indeed.

Diana dominated the English speaking periodicals like Royal Monthly, Hello, and People....but for Paris Match, OGGI, Gente and Jours de France, Caroline of Monaco was #1 with a bullet. I saved many of those magazines. Sometimes a month would go by where there was no other cover than Caroline or her sister Stephanie.
If my memory serves me right it was the same in Sweden at the time. Queen Silvia was the number one popular royal lady by far if going by mentions in the press and featuring on magazine covers while princesses Caroline and Diana and their troubled lives were interchangeably at second or third place.

If my memory serves me right it was the same in Sweden at the time. Queen Silvia was the number one popular royal lady by far if going by mentions in the press and featuring on magazine covers while princesses Caroline and Diana and their troubled lives were interchangeably at second or third place.
obviously in Sweden, Silva was likely to be the most poplular royal...

Back
Top Bottom