The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-18-2021, 05:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Okay then on a personal level why were both Diana and Grace beloved princesses?

I haven't seen a princess like Grace and Diana on a daily basis received so much flowers just from a normal royal walkabout. Flowers represent love and affection.
How many princesses have you watched on walkabouts and over waht period of time? Unless you've done that, looked at lots of other royals and princesses doing walkabouts or greeting the public and checked how many flowers they got I can't see how you can say that Grace and Diana got the most...

Old 02-18-2021, 05:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Yes Diana and Grace were very popular princesses.
Nowadays I consider that Mary Donaldson is very popular in Denmark, she has a very beautiful family and represents with dignity the Danish Monarchy.

I like Letizia, but she is not very popular or appreciated by the Spanish people. However, I think she does a good job as Queen of Spain and represents the Spanish monarchy well.

I think Queen Mathilde deserved more attention in the press. She is a good queen and does a good job representing the Belgian monarchy.

The Duchess of Cambridge also does a good job in representing the British monarchy, is discreet, hardworking and does not get into controversy.

I don't think it is fair to compare popularity across different countries with different realities and different circumstances. It makes more sense to compare who is more or less popular within each individual RF in each individual country instead. In other words, it makes sense to compare Kate's popularity to Meghan's for example, but not to compare Kate to Mary Donaldson or Victoria for instance.

Also we should always keep in mind that popularity is a dynamic variable that may change considerably over time.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
sorry are you saying that the CRown.. is accurate??
Isaid not accurate.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=Lee-Z;2371926]As we're in the chitchat subforum i guess a little personal opinion is okay so here goes:
i think Diana and Grace are the two royals in recent history for whom the line between fact and fiction has gotten blurrier and blurrier over the years. Both have inspired several movies/tvseries already and with every fictionalized/romanticized telling of their stories, the original person seems to get further and further away from the image that people know,

In my mind they are very similar in that aspect to Elizabeth, Empress of Austria, better known as Sissi, who'se image to people nowadays is mainly based on the very sugary movies with Romy Schneider.

I could see Diana and Grace's image go the same way, and i think they will inspire fiction for years to come.

the question that probably will never be answered: if they had known this...would they gave liked it... my guess would be no
But i feel there is no way back from this..

is popularity a blessing or a curse?[/QUOTE]

Bingo-I doubt that Grace and Diana would recognize themselves if they saw their film depictions.
Honestly to Diana's and Grace's children I believe that they often see it as a curse and have attempted to keep it at bay to some degree.

Also I tend to believe that the various royal courts make use of Diana's and Grace's stories as a cautionary tale often repeated to the younger members and to those who marry into the family. There appears to be a greater desire for privacy and they carefully limit the exposure of the younger members to shield them.
The days of large photo sessions on holidays are very limited now. Courts now release photos via their own social media or official websites as well as the traditional media sources.

All in all, I don't believe that any royal truly wants the "fame" and "popularity" that Grace and Diana had in their lifetimes, because the cost is just too high.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:26 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=TLLK;2371944]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
As we're in the chitchat subforum i guess a little personal opinion is okay so here goes:
i think Diana and Grace are the two royals in recent history for whom the line between fact and fiction has gotten blurrier and blurrier over the years. Both have inspired several movies/tvseries already and with every fictionalized/romanticized telling of their stories, the original person seems to get further and further away from the image that people know,

In my mind they are very similar in that aspect to Elizabeth, Empress of Austria, better known as Sissi, who'se image to people nowadays is mainly based on the very sugary movies with Romy Schneider.

I could see Diana and Grace's image go the same way, and i think they will inspire fiction for years to come.

the question that probably will never be answered: if they had known this...would they gave liked it... my guess would be no

Bingo-I doubt that Grace and Diana would recognize themselves if they saw their film depictions.
Honestly to Diana's and Grace's children I believe that they often see it as a curse and have attempted to keep it at bay to some degree.

Also I tend to believe that the various royal courts make use of Diana's and Grace's stories as a cautionary tale often repeated to the younger members and to those who marry into the family. There appears to be a greater desire for privacy and they carefully limit the exposure of the younger members to shield them.
The days of large photo sessions on holidays are very limited now. Courts now release photos via their own social media or official websites as well as the traditional media sources.

All in all, I don't believe that any royal truly wants the "fame" and "popularity" that Grace and Diana had in their lifetimes, because the cost is just too high.
Then why were the both of them so beloved then?
Old 02-18-2021, 05:33 PM
Majesty

[QUOTE=TLLK;2371944]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
As we're in the chitchat subforum i guess a little personal opinion is okay so here goes:

I don't know. I think Diana was genuinely popular (or at least well-known / famous) on an international (meaning worldwide) scale, but she actually benefited in part from the greater international visibility of the British RF compared to other "ordinary" RFs.

Grace, on the other hand, was in a way already popular (or well-known) before she became a royal because she was a movie star at a time when Hollywood was pretty much structured around a "star system" (the movie industry still has "stars" so to speak today, but the way the system works is somewhat different). And, in the US in particular, Grace and tiny Monaco got disproportionate attention because Grace was American (sort of similar in a way to the "Meghan effect" nowadays in the US media).
Old 02-18-2021, 05:45 PM
Majesty

[QUOTE=Kitty1224;2371946]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
They were both young beautiful and fashionably dressed.. they were both well known because the BRF is the best known to Americans and to the world at large.. Same with Grace... she was an American and a movie star so she already had a degree of popularity when she married Rainier.. and her youth and beauty helped to keep her well known...
Old 02-18-2021, 05:48 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=Mbruno;2371947]
Quote:

I don't know. I think Diana was genuinely popular (or at least well-known / famous) on an international (meaning worldwide) scale, but she actually benefited in part from the greater international visibility of the British RF compared to other "ordinary" RFs.

Grace, on the other hand, was in a way already popular (or well-known) before she became a royal because she was a movie star at a time when Hollywood was pretty much structured around a "star system" (the movie industry still has "stars" so to speak today, but the way the system works is somewhat different). And, in the US in particular, Grace and tiny Monaco got disproportionate attention because Grace was American (sort of similar in a way to the "Meghan effect" nowadays in the US media).
Please "Meghan effect" does not compare to Grace Kelly who was like you said a true Star(when being a "star" seems more respectable than today celebrities) and the attention/media Grace had during her time Meghan does not compare.

Diana and Grace were both genuinely popular and beloved.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:49 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=Denville;2371948]
Quote:

They were both young beautiful and fashionably dressed.. they were both well known because the BRF is the best known to Americans and to the world at large.. Same with Grace... she was an American and a movie star so she already had a degree of popularity when she married Rainier.. and her youth and beauty helped to keep her well known...
While that is true if that was the case every princess who is beautiful and dressed would be popular. Diana popularity is also because of her caring side and human touch. Grace you can see the fairy tale aspect but she did a lot of work for Monaco and was respected.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:55 PM
Majesty

[QUOTE=Kitty1224;2371950]
Quote:

While that is true if that was the case every princess who is beautiful and dressed would be popular. Diana popularity is also because of her caring side and human touch. Grace you can see the fairy tale aspect but she did a lot of work for Monaco and was respected.
As I've said, Diana benefited from the greater visibility of the British Royal family... and from marrying the heir to the throne. Had she married P Edward, she might not have been so well known or visible..
Old 02-18-2021, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=Kitty1224;2371946]
Quote:

I do believe that each woman had her very good qualities and it didn't hurt that each were certainly very photogenic. However largely they were "beloved" because the media went into hyper-overdrive stories to sell papers, magazines etc.. Also this may seem ghoulish but each also died unexpectedly and violently which fueled the legend aspect. (Much like we saw with Sissi in the 19th century.)

In real life, I believe that both at the end that they were rather sad and lonely figures.

Honestly I believe that Europe's royal houses do not want to see a repeat of the "fame" that Grace and Diana created. In hindsight I doubt that Grace nor Diana would have wanted to see it repeated either. The personal cost is far too high.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:05 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=TLLK;2371952]
Quote:

I do believe that each woman had her very good qualities and it didn't hurt that each were certainly very photogenic. However largely they were "beloved" because the media went into hyper-overdrive stories to sell papers, magazines etc.. Also this may seem ghoulish but each also died unexpectedly and violently which fueled the legend aspect. (Much like we saw with Sissi in the 19th century.)

In real life, I believe that both at the end that they were rather sad and lonely figures.

Honestly I believe that Europe's royal houses do not want to see a repeat of the "fame" that Grace and Diana created. In hindsight I doubt that Grace nor Diana would have wanted to see it repeated either. The personal cost is far too high.
Its true the media followed them like hawks but don't forget the public followed them because they liked them for different reasons. The media could go into hyper overdrive mode with say Catherine but both Diana and Grace are just fascinating figures. Never to be seen like that again.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:10 PM
Majesty

[QUOTE=TLLK;2371952]
Quote:

Dont know if Grace was so unhappy.. She had a difficult marriage at times but I think that all the same she and Rainier had developed a way to work out their marriage.. and while her children were difficult, she was still busy and OK when she died. But Diana had that tragic aura of being unloved, leaving the RF, being chased by the Press, and not being able to find a happy medium way of living.. at least not by the time of her deaht...
Old 02-18-2021, 06:58 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=Kitty1224;2371953]
Quote:

Its true the media followed them like hawks but don't forget the public followed them because they liked them for different reasons. The media could go into hyper overdrive mode with say Catherine but both Diana and Grace are just fascinating figures. Never to be seen like that again.

Of which I believe that Catherine, Victoria, Mary, Maxima etc...are profoundly grateful that the media will not likely go into hyper overdrive mode with them as the cost was far too high. The women that I mentioned are often considered to be very popular in their respective nations based on various opinion polls. However I would imagine that they don't wish to be set up on unrealistic pedestals like Grace and Diana.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:01 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=Denville;2371954]
Quote:
Dont know if Grace was so unhappy.. She had a difficult marriage at times but I think that all the same she and Rainier had developed a way to work out their marriage.. and while her children were difficult, she was still busy and OK when she died. But Diana had that tragic aura of being unloved, leaving the RF, being chased by the Press, and not being able to find a happy medium way of living.. at least not by the time of her deaht...
I agree I think it's a good thing that there isn't a princess who had that much media and public attention that both Diana and Grace had to endure. But they will be missed. They really created "magic" within their roles as princess and in my opinion not seen since their deaths.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Well "star" factor is also highly subjective. What factor appealed to some about those women doesn't necessarily mean the same to others. Let's not forget too at that time the media was extremely keen on promoting both Grace and Diana to their global audiences to sell newspapers and magazines.

Now that we know more about Grace and Diana's personalities, their personal struggles etc..would people view them through the same rosy lenses? I honestly don't know.

There's some story about Diana and Grace Kelly meeting for the first time. Someone had Diana in tears. Grace supposedly said something to the effect of "Don't worry dear it can only get worse!"
Old 02-18-2021, 07:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
There's some story about Diana and Grace Kelly meeting for the first time. Someone had Diana in tears. Grace supposedly said something to the effect of "Don't worry dear it can only get worse!"
Queen Mathilde, you follow Grace don't you? What did you think about Grace as a princess and why she is loved?
Old 02-18-2021, 08:51 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=Kitty1224;2371958]
Quote:

I agree I think it's a good thing that there isn't a princess who had that much media and public attention that both Diana and Grace had to endure. But they will be missed. They really created "magic" within their roles as princess and in my opinion not seen since their deaths.

Personally I wouldn't refer to it as "magic" but I acknowledge that both women were certainly popular during their lifetimes. However since coming to this site, I've learned about other queens and princesses who were certainly considered to be beloved and extremely popular during their lifetimes as well and like Grace and Diana tended to die unexpectedly and relatively early such as Belgium's Queen Astrid.

https://www.historyofroyalwomen.com/...een-of-hearts/
Old 02-18-2021, 09:12 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=TLLK;2371966]
Quote:

Personally I wouldn't refer to it as "magic" but I acknowledge that both women were certainly popular during their lifetimes. However since coming to this site, I've learned about other queens and princesses who were certainly considered to be beloved and extremely popular during their lifetimes as well and like Grace and Diana tended to die unexpectedly and relatively early such as Belgium's Queen Astrid.

https://www.historyofroyalwomen.com/...een-of-hearts/
Thanks for the link! Its a shame if you ask people on the street to name 5 princesses they are likely to say Diana, Grace and Catherine.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:27 PM
Majesty

Queen Astrid of the Belgians was indeed beloved by the Belgian people from the moment she arrived on Belgian soil. It was said that she was more popular than her husband Leopold III. Young and beautiful like Diana she was also killed in a car accident, in her case caused by her husband, and mourned by the population for years afterwards.