Job Specification For A Princess

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Try

I have been lurking here for nearly a year and I still haven't found the answer to this question: What do we expect from a princess? Personally, I think that there are no hard and fast answers to this question, but on reading posts on a variety of threads, I do think that we all have some expectations.

So I ask you - if your ideal Princess were to arrive on the scene, what would she be like? What would 'job' of princess entail? Clothes and charities? How soon she recycle outfits? Involvement in lots of charities or just a few? How much of her role would be as a 'date' for her husband and how much should she do on her own? Should she be modern or classic?

Although we complement the royals we watch, we appear to criticise just as much. Please help me put into words what we all expect of them? What is there job?

(Apparently Crown Princess Mary has jokingly asked for a job spec - perhaps we can send a copy of this);)

some qualities...

they should be an ambassador for their country when their are abroad by represent their people and culture...

keep tradition and history and teach(advertise??) it to their people... without it no monarchy...

and the usual stuff... charities, balls, helping poor, children etc...

in a nutshell being a spokesperson for their respective houses... thats all I can think of for now....

bye
Q

dont forget- a baby factory so to speak
because in olden days the princess or the queen's main job was to provide the country with a male heir or two so this can be added for job duties

Big Nos:

--No previous marriage or ex-husband
--No previous children
--No promiscuous past or drug related history

I would especially like to see a woman with:

--sound moral character
--a very personable person, who knows how to interact with diverse people
--someone who is willing to learn new things
--Someone who is patient and is willing to stick things out
--Someone who knows how to cope with public pressure and scrutiny
--A gracious individual who knows how to make people feel important

It was also be a bonus if the "applicant" is a multilingual

I think that's it.:)

Ability to smile gracefully in the face of being totally bashed in the press and/or by in-laws.

Alisa said:
Big Nos:

--No previous marriage or ex-husband
--No previous children
--No promiscuous past or drug related history

I would especially like to see a woman with:

--sound moral character
--a very personable person, who knows how to interact with diverse people
--someone who is willing to learn new things
--Someone who is patient and is willing to stick things out
--Someone who knows how to cope with public pressure and scrutiny
--A gracious individual who knows how to make people feel important

It was also be a bonus if the "applicant" is a multilingual

I think that's it.:)

1. I agree with you on the first point but then again if she was a widow would a previous
marriage still make her ineligible?

2 & 3 But Mette-Marit is making an excellent Princess.

4. How do you measure "moral character"?

5. I agree with you but these skills can be learned over time.

6. Obviously but also the skills they have should not be neglected. Take Masoko, she is a
highly educated woman who has much to offer Japan on the world stage but she is
expected to be a "baby machine"!

7 & 8 Obviously Diana was not a "Perfect Princess" after all.

9. Again, these skills can be learned.

Personally I think the main things a prospective princess needs are perseverance, tact, and a willingness to put up with syncophants & idiots as well as the paparazzi.

Okay, so we agree on most of the qualities we would want in an IDEAL princess. But what would she do?

I agree with semisquare - children are part of the job (within a couple of years of marriage - otherwise too much speculation)

A range of charity work - national and international.

But should she be a 'date' and consort to her husband only or carrry out duties by herself? If yes, how soon should she start?

We probably all agree that she should be more that a dress hanger and should repeat outfits - but how soon is too soon?

job security

in some ways it sounds like a hard job- where does your own private life begins and public life ends? then being talk about in a bad way would be hard to deal with because your critics would be up front out in the open not like at work. now, the easy part-give me job security plzzzz,waveing at people all day long & meeting people-like that would be hard.
for ones like princess diana-who had issues and fergie who i've read complain about their jobs, make u wonder if prince should all marry people who've had to struggle make a living-i tell you they would appreciate a nice stressful (and i mean a different kind of stress) job
sign me up pls-i need some job security

Last edited:
I agree with Alisa, but concerning "No previous marriage or ex-husband" I think Letizia is doing a wonderful job as Princess; and similarly "No previous children" Mette-Marit is also doing a wonderful job, with Marius being treat as a son and grandchild by the Norwegian Royal Family. Although an 'ideal' Princess may be a virgin with no skeletons in the cupboard, I think some of today's Princesses are respected by their countries because they are from 'normal' backgrounds, so easier to relate to.

I think the first few years of being a Princess would be trial and error - if a gaffe is made it will be a learning-curve!

:eek: Ok first of all... are you talking about a crown princess or a princess who will not become queen?

A princess should...

-Value her family and friends
-Be sincere at all times
-Not speak to media about much... unless diplomatic...
-Ignore paparazzi
-Have values
-Be able to dress as the occasion calls... white tie... equals ball gown... nice suits...
-A princess doesnt have to do the usually publicity charity... she can do more meaningful acts where she is not big noted...
-Donations... when a princess gets sick of wearing an outfit over and over... she doesnt think... just gives it to local charity automatically... for expensive gown... can be auctioned off to get more money for causes she believes in.
-She must have an interest in the world... whats going on... where she is going to visit..
-It is okay if she has had a couple of non serious boyfriends....
-Above all a princess should stand up for what she believes in, and be true to the people of her country... she should stay true to who she real is.
-A princess is an official dipolmat for a country.... and when you are represting you have to remember how you behave reflects on how people percive the country.
-The heart must be bigger than the cost of a tiara

Well-said. I like all of these ideas. In the next generation, we will have more than a few Queen Regents. What about job specifications for a prince consort then?

Regardless of whether or not Mette-Marit and Letizia are doing a good job, I don't think that such women should be Crown Princess material.

I would much rather see a noble woman or a princess be up for the role rather than a commoner. And if a commoner is to be chosen i'd much rather see a woman with an exemplary life (like Princess Alexandra of Denmark) for example one with no serious past like a child, ex-husband, or relationship with a shady character ( Mabel van Oranje's previous relationeship comes to mind).

Alisa said:
Regardless of whether or not Mette-Marit and Letizia are doing a good job, I don't think that such women should be Crown Princess material.

I would much rather see a noble woman or a princess be up for the role rather than a commoner. And if a commoner is to be chosen i'd much rather see a woman with an exemplary life (like Princess Alexandra of Denmark) for example one with no serious past like a child, ex-husband, or relationship with a shady character ( Mabel van Oranje's previous relationeship comes to mind).

Well that didn't work, did it!!!!

Lol..no. And all too often it seems like we are watching a soap opera:eek:

I think a woman with a pure heart.... will end up being the best princess because she wont be in it for fame or fortune... and to use her power and postion to set a positive example for others to follow... you dont have to be perfect... because there is no such thing... a clean past as well

I think that the most important thing is that she's in love with the man she is married to.

We can talk about style. We can talk about media's relationship with her. We can talk about her patronages. We can talk about how she behaves in public. We can talk about her past and her future.

And they are all important things, I am not saying that.

But I find that if you can imagine that they love each other for who they are, and not the positions they hold, then you have a pretty good start.

bad_barbarella said:
:eek: Ok first of all... are you talking about a crown princess or a princess who will not become queen?

A princess should...

-Value her family and friends
-Be sincere at all times
-Not speak to media about much... unless diplomatic...
-Ignore paparazzi
-Have values
-Be able to dress as the occasion calls... white tie... equals ball gown... nice suits...
-A princess doesnt have to do the usually publicity charity... she can do more meaningful acts where she is not big noted...
-Donations... when a princess gets sick of wearing an outfit over and over... she doesnt think... just gives it to local charity automatically... for expensive gown... can be auctioned off to get more money for causes she believes in.
-She must have an interest in the world... whats going on... where she is going to visit..
-It is okay if she has had a couple of non serious boyfriends....
-Above all a princess should stand up for what she believes in, and be true to the people of her country... she should stay true to who she real is.
-A princess is an official dipolmat for a country.... and when you are represting you have to remember how you behave reflects on how people percive the country.
-The heart must be bigger than the cost of a tiara
I agree on all points you mentioned bad_barbarella ... I add:

1- first she has to work for her country/her own people ... if she belongs to a poor country.
2- she has to work and help associations/institutions to introduce real change to the society.
3- she doesn't have to spend most of her time going around fashion houses and on vacations.
4- she must have time for her self and her social engagements than spending the whole day to get ready for Gala dinners and parties with the husband.

It is very simple really, all you have to do is smile and spend lots of money on clothes, shoes, handbags and hats. Everyone else around you will take care of everything and you just keep yourself doing nothing.

be a ambasador of the country you are a princess in
work to give spotlight on the charities or organisations you are a patron for
be a person that comfort if there are a tragic evenst in the country like in madrid last year or in sweden when many people died in thiland
i would also say that royals should promote that countries brands like in fashion or indautrial designs
be a reprecentative when the country celebrate different evensts like natinal day or historicle events

She needs .......
.......to be compassionate about everything.
.......be trusted by her husband/wife
....... toreally love their spouse for getting she/he into this
.......be loved by the country you're marrying into
.......she does not create scandals
.......make a difference ( you're life is already settled..why not chnage something for the world)
.......and probably have a great smile

I totally disagree with your comment about princess Diana honestly she wouldn't have behave the way she had if th Queen hadn't force Prince Charles to marry her I mean did you really thnk that he ever loved her? They just used her really and the it was her theat the British Royal became well-known everywhere.

Diana showed them who's boss....she pratically brought the British monarch alive again!

How to be a Princess

Would anyone buy a self help style DVD on How to be a Princess ? X

It depends on who they'd use as a standard to measure princessness against and who's doing the teaching, their qualifications etc.

They would have to use Paul Burrell, :lol: :ROFLMAO: :lol: , he seems to think he knows everything there is to know about being a Princess.

crisscross1 said:
They would have to use Paul Burrell, :lol: :ROFLMAO: :lol: , he seems to think he knows everything there is to know about being a Princess.

& there I was thinking he was a Queen!!! :lol: :ROFLMAO: :lol: :ROFLMAO: :lol:

How to be a Princess?

Alastair_r said:
Would anyone buy a self help style DVD on How to be a Princess ? X

The answer is: remain yourself.

That is all. The books and the dvd's can be thrown into the dustbin.

On the evening of his engagement, the Prince of Orange openly made a call to his fiancée, live on television: "I hope you remain the same Máxima" (meaning: don't let your new position change your vibrant personality and savoir-vivre we all felt in love with).

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
The answer is: remain yourself.

That is all. The books and the dvd's can be thrown into the dustbin.

On the evening of his engagement, the Prince of Orange openly made a call to his fiancée, live on television: "I hope you remain the same Máxima" (meaning: don't let your new position change your vibrant personality and savoir-vivre we all felt in love with).

I love this sentiment, but honestly, could you really become a princess and remain the same old person the prince fell in love with? I don't think so. Yes, it may just be the outer shell that changes (the clothes, the jewels) but I can't help but think it would be so difficult to remain carefree, open and unselfconscious in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom