The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-17-2020, 12:37 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivat View Post
I agree very much, but to me it seems to be an almost inhuman burden now.
JC had the bonus of stating the democracy after Franco,
Felipe well, he struggles a lot, let alone with the social problems and tendencies in Catalonia f.e.
but Leonor?
Maybe her, being a woman, is a chance and Felipe manages to deploy a solid base for her reign during his, if not, taking the reign will be a lifelong burden unequal to other monarchies who are existing for more generations since.
For Spain I hope it very much, Felipe and Leonor can suceed and stabalize the nation but I have to admit I doubt it more and more.
vivat
Let's pray for the best. I do not fancy royal lifestyle per se, I admire royals' perseverance in bearing great responsibility to be representatives of the nation and to unify their people. They contributed the most to their respective Kingdoms.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0325.Mikael.0929 View Post
Never have I said that "Princess Mother" is an official title or a title at all. It's just that "Princess" is the title used by Beatrix now. And the seven kingdoms never had a "Prince Father" since their formation because we don't usually skip the heir apparent and jump to his heir, but William is a better representative than Charles in my horrible opinion. Again, I'm more familiar with the Swedish Royal Family than its British counterpart.
You seemed to imply that Charles could become the Prince Father just like Beatrix is the Princess Mother. Nobody in the Netherlands would ever use that term, so it is a bit misleading. Beatrix is currently known as 'princess Beatrix' and upon death will return to be known as 'queen Beatrix' immediately. Just like her mother and grandmother before her. The only combination with 'mother' that was used in the Netherlands was for Queen Emma who was known as 'the queen-mother' during her daughter's reign (except for the first 8 years when Emma was known as 'the queen-regent').

Quote:
I'm just saying that George will outshine Charles for sure if William outshone him. Charles' reputation is not as good as William's if I remember correctly, and that has to do with Princess Diana. Even if 21st century kids like me aren't born during the 1990s, some of us would still look back in time and know who Diana was through television reels and web articles. It's surely rare to find a 21st century kid to be monarchist rather than a kpop fan.
Yes, however, the royal family is not about popularity but about traditions; and tradition dictates that the eldest - not the most popular - ascends the throne. However, I guess the topic of skipping Charles has been discussed in either the 'Line of Succession to the British throne' or the Future of the British Monarchy-topic; so, if you'd like to discuss it further one of those seems to be an excellent place to do so.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:20 PM
Majesty

I think that "Skipping Charles" may have been an idea that was floated some years ago, but its long since faded into obscurity and isn't going to happen. William will not succeed his grandmother and Charles wont be "prince Father".
Old 08-18-2020, 09:51 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Yes, however, the royal family is not about popularity but about traditions; and tradition dictates that the eldest - not the most popular - ascends the throne. However, I guess the topic of skipping Charles has been discussed in either the 'Line of Succession to the British throne' or the Future of the British Monarchy-topic; so, if you'd like to discuss it further one of those seems to be an excellent place to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think that "Skipping Charles" may have been an idea that was floated some years ago, but its long since faded into obscurity and isn't going to happen. William will not succeed his grandmother and Charles wont be "prince Father".
I agree. Details about the British succession should go to the British thread.
Yet I wonder what are your perceptions on Royals born in the 21st century?
Do you think they will most likely outshine their parents and grandparents, even if they won't be head of state until decades later?
Old 08-18-2020, 10:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

If they are interesting yes.

The reality is a lot of people look at royals like celebrities. More so the British royals who are better known outside their country. People really don't care that much about who is closer to the throne. Its more about who is attractive, who is exciting, who makes the news. People tuned in for Harry and Meghan's wedding despite all the 'well he is only 6th in line now so no one will care' because he was the good looking son of Princess Diana. And a former playboy party prince in the eyes of tabloids, who was marrying an actress.

Beatrice and Eugenie get attention because they are young. And covering their vacations, and boyfriend drama before now, and work drama was interesting.

Once George and his siblings are older and out in public, and people can talk about their dating, and their friends, and their lives, yes their parents will be pushed back to the back burner.

William and Kate will become the Charles and Camilla, the Anne, the Edward and Sophie. The older couple who gets the odd article and coverage, but not the mad following they had before. When Kate is the age to match her clothes, and Charlotte is young and fashionable and dating, it wont be Kate with the fashion blogs and selling out clothes. And countless articles on it.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:24 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
If they are interesting yes.

The reality is a lot of people look at royals like celebrities. More so the British royals who are better known outside their country. People really don't care that much about who is closer to the throne. Its more about who is attractive, who is exciting, who makes the news. People tuned in for Harry and Meghan's wedding despite all the 'well he is only 6th in line now so no one will care' because he was the good looking son of Princess Diana. And a former playboy party prince in the eyes of tabloids, who was marrying an actress.

Beatrice and Eugenie get attention because they are young. And covering their vacations, and boyfriend drama before now, and work drama was interesting.

Once George and his siblings are older and out in public, and people can talk about their dating, and their friends, and their lives, yes their parents will be pushed back to the back burner.

William and Kate will become the Charles and Camilla, the Anne, the Edward and Sophie. The older couple who gets the odd article and coverage, but not the mad following they had before. When Kate is the age to match her clothes, and Charlotte is young and fashionable and dating, it wont be Kate with the fashion blogs and selling out clothes. And countless articles on it.
So Alexander, Leonore and their siblings can get attention in Sweden in the same way Beatrice and Eugenie did when they're older and starts to date even though they're no longer HRH.
IMO Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine were the main focus of the SRF during the whole 2000s (there was a SVT program in 2005 called Ung och kunglig [Young and royal]), but people tend to focus less on their official visits but more on Victoria's and Madeleine's dressings at Nobel Festivals and Carl Philip's racing career, as well as their potential partners. And now I predict that in the next few years Elisabeth and siblings will be the highlight of the BeRF.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:56 PM
Heir Apparent

It's always been that way: younger royals attract more attention than older ones. So, yes, of course that will also apply to the generation that is coming of age in the near future. Whether that also applies to the nieces/nephews of the king/queen is a different question. Normally most attention would go to the children of the monarch or heir - with some publicity for their cousins; also depending on 'how colorful' those cousins are.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
So Alexander, Leonore and their siblings can get attention in Sweden in the same way Beatrice and Eugenie did when they're older and starts to date even though they're no longer HRH.
IMO Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine were the main focus of the SRF during the whole 2000s (there was a SVT program in 2005 called Ung och kunglig [Young and royal]), but people tend to focus less on their official visits but more on Victoria's and Madeleine's dressings at Nobel Festivals and Carl Philip's racing career, as well as their potential partners. And now I predict that in the next few years Elisabeth and siblings will be the highlight of the BeRF.
In regards to coverage of fashion and dating, of course. In regards to political coverage the focus will of course remain on the King.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
In regards to coverage of fashion and dating, of course. In regards to political coverage the focus will of course remain on the King.
Save for Victoria who's put up much more royal and political duties after having a family of her own...
Old 08-19-2020, 12:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
But the question was about popularity, and getting younger people interested in the monarchy.

When young people look 'politically' they look at the PM, they don't look at royals. They aren't going to debate the political role of royals as they don't have one.

The few ceremonial roles that are because of the role, don't get much hype. In the UK only really state dinners and even then its not just the heir there and his wife with the monarch. Same with the Nobels in Sweden.

Unless you read something like Majesty magazine, the most coverage royals get is for the public events. Their charity work when they aren't defined by how close they are to the throne. And then its very much about who is young and fashionable enough for the photo to get hits.

Charles is next in line for the throne but his tours get very little coverage. The rare article but not the massive following of his sons. Because there aren't enough people in the demographic who reads these kind of articles online, to get the kind of hits that make the papers/magazines money.

I can only speak for English speaking publications, but the other royal houses it is senior royals who get attention only because people in English countries aren't as familiar with these other royal houses.

But as time comes with things like the Nobels in Sweden, just as little focus is on Sylvia and the Haga princesses when they attend, and all the focus is on the young women, the same will happen in 20 years. All focus will be on Estelle and Oscar's future bride, and any of the cousins/wives who attend.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:33 AM
Gentry

Quote:
But the question was about popularity, and getting younger people interested in the monarchy.

When young people look 'politically' they look at the PM, they don't look at royals. They aren't going to debate the political role of royals as they don't have one.

The few ceremonial roles that are because of the role, don't get much hype. In the UK only really state dinners and even then its not just the heir there and his wife with the monarch. Same with the Nobels in Sweden.

Unless you read something like Majesty magazine, the most coverage royals get is for the public events. Their charity work when they aren't defined by how close they are to the throne. And then its very much about who is young and fashionable enough for the photo to get hits.

Charles is next in line for the throne but his tours get very little coverage. The rare article but not the massive following of his sons. Because there aren't enough people in the demographic who reads these kind of articles online, to get the kind of hits that make the papers/magazines money.

I can only speak for English speaking publications, but the other royal houses it is senior royals who get attention only because people in English countries aren't as familiar with these other royal houses.

But as time comes with things like the Nobels in Sweden, just as little focus is on Sylvia and the Haga princesses when they attend, and all the focus is on the young women, the same will happen in 20 years. All focus will be on Estelle and Oscar's future bride, and any of the cousins/wives who attend.
If that is so that explains why Svensk Damtidning, Sweden's publication that covers the most about royalty, has the word "Dam" in it - ladies tend to pay attention to fashion and Svensk Damtidning targets them by showing the fashion sense of Swedish princesses - but it also covers royal lifestyle as a bonus. But I don't think Carl Philip's racing career will belong in Svensk Damtidning - motorsport magazines will do it instead.

Yet if we want to get young people to like the monarchy Elisabeth's fashion sense and lifestyle may be the key - though for Belgian boys they'll have to wait until years later to get their attention on Gabriel's lifestyle.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
If that is so that explains why Svensk Damtidning, Sweden's publication that covers the most about royalty, has the word "Dam" in it - ladies tend to pay attention to fashion and Svensk Damtidning targets them by showing the fashion sense of Swedish princesses - but it also covers royal lifestyle as a bonus. But I don't think Carl Philip's racing career will belong in Svensk Damtidning - motorsport magazines will do it instead.
Svensk Damtidning was founded in December 1889. The target group was then young, newlywed women. In the early 20th century, Svensk Damtidning wrote a lot about the women's right to vote. In the 1930s and 1940s Svensk Damtidning got a look more similar to today, with many photographs.
Allers Förlag took over the magazine in 1992, after which the new owner recruited Karin Lennmor as editor-in-chief. In 1996, the magazine profiled itself as "the royal weekly magazine".
Old 08-19-2020, 06:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I agree. Details about the British succession should go to the British thread.
Yet I wonder what are your perceptions on Royals born in the 21st century?
Do you think they will most likely outshine their parents and grandparents, even if they won't be head of state until decades later?
Personally Im not all tht interested in royals born in the 21st Century...
Old 08-19-2020, 08:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

It was a response to the comment that Princess Elisabeth and her siblings will be the highlight of the Belgian royal family. Of course the prime minister will normally receive more "highlighting" in political coverage than the king, but not the other members of the royal family.

Most monarchs, even in Europe, continue to be accorded a political role. The king of the Belgians is currently in the spotlight due to his role in government formation.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:24 AM
Gentry

The Thread's future

And now I would like to convert this thread a general thread for all royals from Sweden, Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain and of course, Britain, who are born in the 21st century. Priority will be given to those who are in the royal houses of their respective countries (e.g. Prince Oscar of Sweden, Princess Alexia of the Netherlands, Prince Gabriel of Belgium), especially the ones who are expected to ascend decades later (e.g. Princess Elisabeth of Belgium and Princess Estelle of Sweden).
-
This thread is intended for a comprehensive discussion between the seven kingdoms. If an in-depth discussion is to be made for a specific country, feel free to move to another thread.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:48 AM

But what about the young royals of Monaco, Luxemburg and Liechtenstein? Do we need an extra Threas for them?
Old 08-29-2020, 10:40 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crown View Post
But what about the young royals of Monaco, Luxemburg and Liechtenstein? Do we need an extra Threas for them?
You can briefly mention them when comparing them to other royals, though technically they are not royals (Lux is a Grand Duchy while the other two are Principalities).
-
No offense, but Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and Monaco are states that have much smaller landmass and population than the seven kingdoms which are comparable. Monaco has male-preference primogeniture till today while Liechtenstein is the only monarchy in Europe to hold on to full Salic law, while Luxembourg, just like the kingdoms (except Spain), got absolute primogeniture. The three monarchies are quite different from the seven kingdoms in general, though if you want to discuss about them, you can, provided that the main focus lies in the seven kingdoms.
-
Besides, deposed royals (e.g. Yugoslavia, Austria, Germany, Poland-Lithuania) will NOT be covered here as well as royals from Saudi Arabia (they have an enormous royal family by European standards), Bahrain, Jordan, Morocco, Bhutan, Cambodia, Thailand, Lesotho, eSwatini and Tonga. as this thread focuses more on the future of monarchy in Europe.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:50 AM
Heir Apparent

A grandduke or prince may not be a king, but they are monarchs...

P.Albert is the monarch of Monaco.

I don't really get this need to separate the monarchies in western europe who have a king or queen as head from the other monarchies?

Don't think anyone groups these countries as "7 kingdoms" at all.

The royals themselves include everyone who is a royal, also from f.i smaller monarchies like Luxemburg or non reigning royals like the greek RF.

it feels a bit discriminatory to single out specific countries...

just my 2 cts ofcourse
Old 08-30-2020, 12:39 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
A grandduke or prince may not be a king, but they are monarchs...

P.Albert is the monarch of Monaco.
Indeed. I pointed that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
I don't really get this need to separate the monarchies in western europe who have a king or queen as head from the other monarchies?

Don't think anyone groups these countries as "7 kingdoms" at all.

The royals themselves include everyone who is a royal, also from f.i smaller monarchies like Luxemburg or non reigning royals like the greek RF.

it feels a bit discriminatory to single out specific countries...

just my 2 cts ofcourse
Yes, I don't mean to discriminate small monarchies, but this thread is meant to be more serious about the future of the idea of monarchy in Europe and what roles can 21st century-born royals play in their countries, not gossiping all over the thread about who Princess Elisabeth's gonna date.

Since deposed royals have no constitutional or ceremonial power at all and will probably not be restored, they would most likely belong to gossip and entertainment. But Elizabeth II is highly influential as a Queen due to her constitutional and ceremonial powers, and Crown Princess Victoria has an excellent reputation in advocating a better world. Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Netherlands and Spain also have great monarchies in their own right and so does Lux and the 2 principalities. Since the thread name cannot be changed, let's allow young princes and princesses of Lux and the 2 principalities here provided that we don't put too much focus on gossiping about the current but discussing more about the future.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

It might be better to discuss the preparation of the various future monarchs in a more general thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Leonor seems to be the heir of his generation that is being better prepared. Catharina-Amália is the heiress of her generation that least appears and never made a speech (unlike Leonor or Elisabeth or even Ingrid Alexandra).
I would say that the various princesses (and princes) are prepared differently. Apparently, the Spanish king and queen consider it very important that Leonor is able to give a speech. The Dutch king and queen on the other hand consider it much more important that Amalia is able to freely engage with the public and is able to talk freely with the press (to a limited extend) - I don't recall Leonor or one of the others, ever doing so while younger than 16.

From my perspective, Leonor's preparation is rather limited in nature and mostly concerns highly orchestrated events; while Amalia's is the opposite and includes fewer highly orchestrated events but more low-key events in which she is able to more freely express herself. Ingrid-Alexandra's preparation seems to be a great mixture with some speeches but also a short tv-interview (with her father by her side). I'm not sure how much exposure she has had to the general public; other than waving at them at the National Day.

So, again, it really depends on what is prioritized. Formal speeches are not that important in the Netherlands, while expressing yourself seems less important in Spain (to concentrate on the two that were previously discussed).